Booz Allen Hamilton

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

488 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Solid company, good work/life balance, ok salaries

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsI enjoy working with everyone I have met in this company and that's what makes the job most enjoyable. Booz Allen is a solid company where you can switch careers but don't necessarily have to switch companies. They provide a lot of benefits such as 6% 401(k) matching, tuition reimbursement, parking fee reimbursement, etc. Booz Allen is very strong in its day-to-day operations activities. They have solid support from all of the commodity shops such as IT, HR, Accounting, etc., which allows employees to focus on their work and not getting paid on time, finding someone to fix their laptop, or getting quickly on-boarded to company policies. It's also a great place for military folks leaving the service and transitioning to a civilian career. Booz Allen primarily supports the Department of Defense and US Government, so military jargon and an understanding of military and government culture is desired. Also, since there are numerous veterans working at Booz Allen, it's a great place to find an immediate support group.

ConsIf you want to make the highest salary in the industry, don't work at Booz Allen. If you are looking for great mentors who will take you under their wing to show you the ropes, don't work at Booz Allen. Booz Allen requires its employees to be 100% proactive in managing their own careers. Booz Allen provides the resources and networking opportunities to be successful, but its on the employee to create their own success. Aside from the lack of mentorship, Booz Allen's culture since it has become publicly traded is to maximize shareholder value. Booz seems to have removed its concern for employees and put all emphasis on boosting the bottom line. This is frustrating as an employee because, as good as that is for the company as a whole, it sucks as an individual. All correspondence coming down from the higher ups details their actions as "good for the company" but anyone with any business sense can smell the accounting and finance tricks that are going on to keep the company financially healthy. Granted, it's a necessary evil, but it still makes me upset as an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back ECAP to compensate for the lower salaries, define a path to become a partner, and make that look more possible than it is now (2014). I've been advised by many higher level Booz Allen employees that making it to partner is nearly impossible and that I should look at smaller firms if I want to climb the ranks.

A job within a career

Associate (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsThe people are very talented, professional, and great teammates. Leadership is excellent. Opportunities for professional advancement exist if you know how to go after them.

ConsIt is difficult to choose projects that you are interested in. Most of them are assigned to you which can be frustrating, especially if you have been on them for a long period of time and wish to transition to something else.

Booz Allen Hamilton... not sure where this ship is going

Lead Associate (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsThere are some talented people at Booz Allen who value team work and adding value for the clients. There are a lot of very talented long-term employees at Booz Allen--not so clear about the new additions.

ConsOne's experience at Booz Allen Hamilton can vary greatly depending on one's team. As the firm has grown rapidly over the past 6-8 years and the market has turned the direction of the firm has changed radically and there seems to be a corresponding decrease in the selectivity of new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake upper management more accountable for results. Currently, when they don't make the numbers they balance the books by getting rid of more junior staff.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great flexibility and overall great place to work

Staff Technologist (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsAllowed to work from home, different offices, choose your own hours. You have the ability to move around within the firm to a variety of projects which can suit your needs better as well.

ConsA lot of management and overhead. There are usually as many if not more management on a project than people creating deliverables, and that doesn't even include senior management. On the plus side though they generally do not micromanage.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out even more of the management in projects.

Great company to work for

Associate (Former Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsExcellent benefits, good retirement plan (401k/profit sharing), and well-defined career development path

ConsInconsistent bonus/promotion process; can depend on what team you are on. Oftentimes you will be on a team where you have to work extremely hard to get promoted, while others seem to get promotion just based on length of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the employees; don't worry so much about the bottom line

Only a Number

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

Pros-People you work with are smart
    -Projects can be interesting
    -Some projects allow for remote delivery
    -Leadership up to a certain level seems to genuinely care

Cons-Need to find other offers to get salary actions to where they should be
    -Treated as a number, they only care about your bill-ability and how much they make off of you
    -Straying away from what use to make Booz Allen a company that you wanted to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust stop treating your employees as a vehicle to repay the Carlisle group.

The worst experience I have ever had in my almost 10 years working in gov't contracts. DO NOT WORK IN PRICING

Senior Pricing Analyst (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsThis section is non applicable as I cannot think of any pros of working for BAH.

ConsWhere to begin.....no one, not your supervisor, not your career manager, no one has your back. This is something very important to have when you are just starting at a new company. Client Staff can notify you of a change literally less than 60 minutes before a deadline and it will still fall on you....no matter what. And it will be counted against you and client staff will not even be questioned.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave your employee's back since they are the ones in the trenches all day actually doing the work for you and making you look good. If you do not do this than you will continue to operate like a brand new company every 5 years, hence the 20% turnover rate.

Great company in 2007 but has made significant changes and shifting since publicly traded and defense market decline.

Lead Associate (Former Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsVery good at teaching the consulting and business development business. Good benefits.

ConsToo much management (in 2009) with bonus compensation on the backs of mid-career leadership. Incentivize those that produce, not those that approve timecards.

Bottom Line Focused

McLean, VA

ProsThe overall pay, benefits, and compensation are competitive. There is a great variety of work to choose from and it is interesting and challenging. If you work on client site you generally can just do you job and avoid the corporate politics.

ConsThe culture is now focused on billability and people are totally expendable. If you lose your contract you lose your job. Senior Management can generally not be trusted. Many staff are having to take significant pay cuts when the company bids contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more clearly and concisely with staff. Admit you have a problem and then move forward to solve it.

Great Place to Start a Career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsIf you're interested in a career in consulting then Booz Allen is a great place to start. Learn the basics and get real hands-on experiences with clients.

A very dynamic environment with constant change in response to market demands. Learn how to anticipate and adapt to these demands and you'll do well

ConsAs with any large organization, it's knowing who are the resources and where to find them. Network with your colleagues to get the answers you need

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate "internal change" more effectively

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!

Booz Allen Hamilton Videos

Booz Allen Hamilton – Why Work for Us?

We're looking for people with brains and heart. We believe in vision and passion. Being part of something bigger than a company or job matters to our employees. When you join Booz Allen, you’ll help some of the most… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booz Allen Hamilton reviews and ratings in McLean, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Booz Allen Hamilton CEO Ralph W. Shrader. All 488 reviews posted anonymously by Booz Allen Hamilton employees.