Booz Allen Hamilton

Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in Norfolk, VA

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support(in 281 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters(in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance(in 102 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels(in 43 reviews)

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent company with a comprehensive approach to mission support and execution.

Joint Forces Exercise Integrator (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsBAH has a deep concern for their employees sense of welfare and an acute sense of mission as well. A highly promoted aspect of working with BAH was the ability to openly resource and research needed information from all professional on the staff when researching requirements for the company as well as the client. Training within BAH is a requirement that promotes professionalism for both the company and the employee, staying on track (i.e., security training, information sharing, consulting, self assessment, all came in handy when working with BAH.

ConsThe title of "consultant" vs "right-seat-ride (working with the client)" has the potential of putting the employee in an awkward position when working with the client on mission needs and also adhering to BAH guide lines to seek business development opportunities. The company has very high values and fully supports individual growth for both personal reasons and professional effectiveness.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt this time the comments in the PRO's portion of this review will suffice.

Great company and people, Great professional experience and growth

Systems Engineer Associate (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsGreat people, very profestional, opportunites to grow professtionally.

ConsSometimes being between contracts can get unpredictable.

Advice to Senior ManagementComunicate to your team, nothing is for sure but communication helps to build trust within your team.

Current employee

Lead Technologist (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsThe firm always considers what the benefits and actions are to the employee and the future of the firm

ConsCurrently working within a tough environment

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to involve employee input into decisions affecting the firm.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Start high--not a company to build a career

Associate (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

Proslocations globally, good reputation, tend to have smart coworkers

Conslow pay, hard to get a challenging role, will interview for one job and end up actually doing something completely different and it isn't as easy as it seems to switch roles and contracts.

Booz Allen is great firm.

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsVery cordial; fantastic benefits; leadership cares about their people.

ConsNothing to report. Booz Allen is certainly better than any other firm in the government consulting business.

State of the Company

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsGood people - Challenging work

ConsIf you are not in the "IN" crowd - opportunities will be lacking.

Advice to Senior Managementknock down the cronyism and challenge employees for their work ethic and experience. Don't put up with the bullies in the firm.

Booz Allen offers entry level employees an excellent education in the business side of contracting.

Lead Associate (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsThe only company I know that exposes their entry level employees to the business side of contracting and proposal development. Excellent benefits.

ConsCompany lost the ability to make strategic long term decisions when they went public. Loss of the ECAP program made Booz's total benefits package less attractive.

Great place to work

Associate (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

Prosexcellent work life balance
    great, caring people to work with
    collaborative environment

Consgrowth limited by market conditions

Great at first, but then...

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsBAH doesn't own any office space. Everything is leased. The telecommute propaganda is just a ruse. it saves the company from requiring to provide employees their own office space.

ConsCompany will hire from outside instead of turning within. For example, newly hired Senior Associates take over ongoing projects without proper vetting. End up running projects to the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow from within. Some projects would have lasted if you did.

Great people to work with

Lead Associate (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsStrong culture
    Intelligent, hard-working people
    Strong work-life balance (at the junior staff levels)

ConsReliance on Federal budgets
    Working on Powerpoint slides all of the time
    Work-life balance (at the Lead Associate + levels)

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!