Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.1
Horacio D. Rozanski

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is pretty awesome (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • It's challenging to find proper work/life balance (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

Military Analyst

Former Employee - Military Analyst in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Military Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Was able to (and encouraged to) employ full extent of Joint Exercise expertise and knowledge directly with combatant command training audiences and selected HQ JTFs and sub-unified commands training audience in order to achieve some of the most successful Joint training ever. Always supported by leadership to provide customers with best of best options and follow-up.

Cons

At times there seem to be a strong desire to generate business opportunities over / beyond current tasks. This is a business methodology therefore this could be a pro or a con, very subjective depending on personalities and focus.

Advice to Management

None

Solid Company

Current Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance with a opportunities to work on and try different things. Bright, talented, and good people to work with. Leadership is committed to inventing in training for the development of staff.

Cons

Limits on salary adjustment due to dollar caps on contracts and sometimes career opportunities can be limited to general industry environment at the time.

3. Job Applicants

Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great entry level annual salary for new hirees

Cons

Seasonal hiring job applicants depending on experience and openings

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - Consultant in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and diversity. Both the client and the employee are of utmost importance to Booz Allen. The firm offers great training/advancement resources for employees as well as comfortable work-life balance.

Cons

Remote/telework may not be an option depending on the client.

Too many mid-level mangers, can't compete in austere fiscal climate, keeps "dead-weight"

Former Employee - Senior Defense Research Analyst in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Defense Research Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good reputation and past performance gains respect of clients

Cons

When I was hired by Booz Allen (in a position I found) I was told that Booz Allen hires the person, not just for the contract. When my position was migrated to another company, Booz Allen did little to nothing to retain me even though I was more qualified than people working in other positions. They are more interested in keeping people billable than they are in providing the best value and qualified people for the client. Definitely has the perception of favoritism. Booz Allen is also top heavy which drives up cost and weakens ability too compete.

Advice to Management

Keep your talented, most qualified people and replace those who do not have skill sets for today's market who are piled on to contracts just so they can be billable

7. Good cultural

Former Employee - Junior Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Junior Associate in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people and cultural morals for a large company

Cons

Pay can be marginally better than the average

Advice to Management

NA

8. Awesome!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met so many interesting, skilled, and unique people at Booz. Everyone seemed like they really wanted to work there. I always felt welcome and valued as an employee and team member. Very professional environment to work in and I met a lot of people that I am still friends with outside of the company. It is a good work culture and very positive experience overall.

Cons

Office location created a long commute for me. Compensation was good, but advancement was somewhat challenging. When I chose to leave, I did not appreciate the tongue lashing I received from my boss's boss. My boss was amazing, but her boss was definitely a character.

Promotes engaging, creative work with strong reach back support and flexible work options. All round very satisfied.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

The company has an excellent culture of sharing intellectual capital, collaboration,and mentorship. Salaries and benefits are still better than competitors, and I really feel valued in my job. Leadership is good and stable; people you actually look up to.

Cons

The firm is moving from a pure consulting firm to a personal services firm and is not diversifying outside the government sector fast enough to mitigate the risk of a shrinking government. Benefits are also reducing more and more every year to stay competitive. Somewhat to be expected after going public and the downturn in the economy, but still unsettling.

Advice to Management

For a firm that prides itself on its change experts, leadership does need to do a better job on socializing change internally and being transparent on the decisions they make to stay competitive in the market. They also need to be more bullish about getting into new markets, particularly the energy and financial industries.

10. Excellent company with a comprehensive approach to mission support and execution.

Former Employee - Joint Forces Exercise Integrator in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Joint Forces Exercise Integrator in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BAH has a deep concern for their employees sense of welfare and an acute sense of mission as well. A highly promoted aspect of working with BAH was the ability to openly resource and research needed information from all professional on the staff when researching requirements for the company as well as the client. Training within BAH is a requirement that promotes professionalism for both the company and the employee, staying on track (i.e., security training, information sharing, consulting, self assessment, all came in handy when working with BAH.

Cons

The title of "consultant" vs "right-seat-ride (working with the client)" has the potential of putting the employee in an awkward position when working with the client on mission needs and also adhering to BAH guide lines to seek business development opportunities. The company has very high values and fully supports individual growth for both personal reasons and professional effectiveness.

Advice to Management

At this time the comments in the PRO's portion of this review will suffice.

11. Great managers

Former Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great tuition assistance, front line management really heard my voice and pushed for me, whether it was on a project or I needed something internally from corporate. It was very mom-friendly/family friendly, and I enjoyed attending diversity organization events and company efforts for community causes. Management really wants you to be happy and champions your requests.

Cons

A lot of unpaid overtime for company/personal-related administrative tasks that must be completed. As a billable employee you always have to make sure you hit your numbers. Can be pretty stressful, especially if you have administrative duties on a project which you cannot bill to the client.

Advice to Management

Communicate the "why" of initiatives to the workforce.

Showing 44 of 2,616 reviews