Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in Norfolk, VA

2,409 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,457 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 283 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance (in 103 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met so many interesting, skilled, and unique people at Booz. Everyone seemed like they really wanted to work there. I always felt welcome and valued as an employee and team member. Very professional environment to work in and I met a lot of people that I am still friends with outside of the company. It is a good work culture and very positive experience overall.

Cons

Office location created a long commute for me. Compensation was good, but advancement was somewhat challenging. When I chose to leave, I did not appreciate the tongue lashing I received from my boss's boss. My boss was amazing, but her boss was definitely a character.

Promotes engaging, creative work with strong reach back support and flexible work options. All round very satisfied.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

The company has an excellent culture of sharing intellectual capital, collaboration,and mentorship. Salaries and benefits are still better than competitors, and I really feel valued in my job. Leadership is good and stable; people you actually look up to.

Cons

The firm is moving from a pure consulting firm to a personal services firm and is not diversifying outside the government sector fast enough to mitigate the risk of a shrinking government. Benefits are also reducing more and more every year to stay competitive. Somewhat to be expected after going public and the downturn in the economy, but still unsettling.

For a firm that prides itself on its change experts, leadership does need to do a better job on socializing change internally and being transparent on the decisions they make to stay competitive in the market. They also need to be more bullish about getting into new markets, particularly the energy and financial industries.

Great managers

Former Employee - Associate  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great tuition assistance, front line management really heard my voice and pushed for me, whether it was on a project or I needed something internally from corporate. It was very mom-friendly/family friendly, and I enjoyed attending diversity organization events and company efforts for community causes. Management really wants you to be happy and champions your requests.

Cons

A lot of unpaid overtime for company/personal-related administrative tasks that must be completed. As a billable employee you always have to make sure you hit your numbers. Can be pretty stressful, especially if you have administrative duties on a project which you cannot bill to the client.

Communicate the "why" of initiatives to the workforce.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent company with a comprehensive approach to mission support and execution.

Former Employee - Joint Forces Exercise Integrator  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Joint Forces Exercise Integrator in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

BAH has a deep concern for their employees sense of welfare and an acute sense of mission as well. A highly promoted aspect of working with BAH was the ability to openly resource and research needed information from all professional on the staff when researching requirements for the company as well as the client. Training within BAH is a requirement that promotes professionalism for both the company and the employee, staying on track (i.e., security training, information sharing, consulting, self assessment, all came in handy when working with BAH.

Cons

The title of "consultant" vs "right-seat-ride (working with the client)" has the potential of putting the employee in an awkward position when working with the client on mission needs and also adhering to BAH guide lines to seek business development opportunities. The company has very high values and fully supports individual growth for both personal reasons and professional effectiveness.

At this time the comments in the PRO's portion of this review will suffice.

Great company and people, Great professional experience and growth

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Associate  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, very profestional, opportunites to grow professtionally.

Cons

Sometimes being between contracts can get unpredictable.

Comunicate to your team, nothing is for sure but communication helps to build trust within your team.

Current employee

Current Employee - Lead Technologist  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Technologist in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The firm always considers what the benefits and actions are to the employee and the future of the firm

Cons

Currently working within a tough environment

Continue to involve employee input into decisions affecting the firm.

Start high--not a company to build a career

Current Employee - Associate  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

locations globally, good reputation, tend to have smart coworkers

Cons

low pay, hard to get a challenging role, will interview for one job and end up actually doing something completely different and it isn't as easy as it seems to switch roles and contracts.

Booz Allen is great firm.

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very cordial; fantastic benefits; leadership cares about their people.

Cons

Nothing to report. Booz Allen is certainly better than any other firm in the government consulting business.

State of the Company

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people - Challenging work

Cons

If you are not in the "IN" crowd - opportunities will be lacking.

knock down the cronyism and challenge employees for their work ethic and experience. Don't put up with the bullies in the firm.

Booz Allen offers entry level employees an excellent education in the business side of contracting.

Former Employee - Lead Associate  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The only company I know that exposes their entry level employees to the business side of contracting and proposal development. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Company lost the ability to make strategic long term decisions when they went public. Loss of the ECAP program made Booz's total benefits package less attractive.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!