Booz Allen Hamilton

2,245 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,352 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good cultural

Former Employee - Junior Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Junior Associate in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people and cultural morals for a large company

Cons

Pay can be marginally better than the average

NA

Too many mid-level mangers, can't compete in austere fiscal climate, keeps "dead-weight"

Former Employee - Senior Defense Research Analyst in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Defense Research Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good reputation and past performance gains respect of clients

Cons

When I was hired by Booz Allen (in a position I found) I was told that Booz Allen hires the person, not just for the contract. When my position was migrated to another company, Booz Allen did little to nothing to retain me even though I was more qualified than people working in other positions. They are more interested in keeping people billable than they are in providing the best value and qualified people for the client. Definitely has the perception of favoritism.

Booz Allen is also top heavy which drives up cost and weakens ability too compete.

Keep your talented, most qualified people and replace those who do not have skill sets for today's market who are piled on to contracts just so they can be billable

Awesome!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I met so many interesting, skilled, and unique people at Booz. Everyone seemed like they really wanted to work there. I always felt welcome and valued as an employee and team member. Very professional environment to work in and I met a lot of people that I am still friends with outside of the company. It is a good work culture and very positive experience overall.

Cons

Office location created a long commute for me. Compensation was good, but advancement was somewhat challenging. When I chose to leave, I did not appreciate the tongue lashing I received from my boss's boss. My boss was amazing, but her boss was definitely a character.

Promotes engaging, creative work with strong reach back support and flexible work options. All round very satisfied.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

The company has an excellent culture of sharing intellectual capital, collaboration,and mentorship. Salaries and benefits are still better than competitors, and I really feel valued in my job. Leadership is good and stable; people you actually look up to.

Cons

The firm is moving from a pure consulting firm to a personal services firm and is not diversifying outside the government sector fast enough to mitigate the risk of a shrinking government. Benefits are also reducing more and more every year to stay competitive. Somewhat to be expected after going public and the downturn in the economy, but still unsettling.

For a firm that prides itself on its change experts, leadership does need to do a better job on socializing change internally and being transparent on the decisions they make to stay competitive in the market. They also need to be more bullish about getting into new markets, particularly the energy and financial industries.

Great managers

Former Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great tuition assistance, front line management really heard my voice and pushed for me, whether it was on a project or I needed something internally from corporate. It was very mom-friendly/family friendly, and I enjoyed attending diversity organization events and company efforts for community causes. Management really wants you to be happy and champions your requests.

Cons

A lot of unpaid overtime for company/personal-related administrative tasks that must be completed. As a billable employee you always have to make sure you hit your numbers. Can be pretty stressful, especially if you have administrative duties on a project which you cannot bill to the client.

Communicate the "why" of initiatives to the workforce.

Excellent company with a comprehensive approach to mission support and execution.

Former Employee - Joint Forces Exercise Integrator in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Joint Forces Exercise Integrator in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

BAH has a deep concern for their employees sense of welfare and an acute sense of mission as well. A highly promoted aspect of working with BAH was the ability to openly resource and research needed information from all professional on the staff when researching requirements for the company as well as the client. Training within BAH is a requirement that promotes professionalism for both the company and the employee, staying on track (i.e., security training, information sharing, consulting, self assessment, all came in handy when working with BAH.

Cons

The title of "consultant" vs "right-seat-ride (working with the client)" has the potential of putting the employee in an awkward position when working with the client on mission needs and also adhering to BAH guide lines to seek business development opportunities. The company has very high values and fully supports individual growth for both personal reasons and professional effectiveness.

At this time the comments in the PRO's portion of this review will suffice.

Great company and people, Great professional experience and growth

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, very profestional, opportunites to grow professtionally.

Cons

Sometimes being between contracts can get unpredictable.

Comunicate to your team, nothing is for sure but communication helps to build trust within your team.

Current employee

Current Employee - Lead Technologist in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Technologist in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The firm always considers what the benefits and actions are to the employee and the future of the firm

Cons

Currently working within a tough environment

Continue to involve employee input into decisions affecting the firm.

Start high--not a company to build a career

Current Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

locations globally, good reputation, tend to have smart coworkers

Cons

low pay, hard to get a challenging role, will interview for one job and end up actually doing something completely different and it isn't as easy as it seems to switch roles and contracts.

Booz Allen is great firm.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very cordial; fantastic benefits; leadership cares about their people.

Cons

Nothing to report. Booz Allen is certainly better than any other firm in the government consulting business.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos