Booz Allen Hamilton

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

(1,185 ratings)

1,915 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance; Good co-workers; merit-based promotions"
    in 262 reviews
  • "High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters"
    in 95 reviews
Cons:
  • "Booz Allen promotes the concept of work-life balance, but this is a facade"
    in 97 reviews
  • "You'll meet many people because so many leave regularly or are given "Lack of Work" letters"
    in 38 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not for everyone, but great if it's for you

Senior Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat colleagues, very collegial environment, lots of autonomy and the ability to grow your own area of business with lots of support... Assuming you demonstrate that you have a deep understanding of risk management.

ConsThe standards for success aren't always very explicit, client circumstances can change quickly with a big win or big loss. You must be willing and able to work in an environment without a ton of structure or oversight.

Advice to Senior ManagementStabilize internal infrastructure. Some of the review, staff location processes and other internal support infrastructure are in flux, which leads to some frustration.

Senior Consultant

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for less than a year

ProsFirst, I would say EVERYONE's experience will be different depending on your team and your client. I am lucky enough to have both an excellent team and an excellent client. I can honestly say, I LOVE MY JOB! My work life is extremely flexible. The work that I am doing is very stimulating and I am surrounded by other PhD social scientists, so I am happy as a clam.

Cons-The new structure for tracking your career can be overwhelming when you first join. If you have a good career manager, you'll be fine. If you don't have a good career manager, I recommend seeking help from colleagues.
-The hiring process takes a VERY long time, I would be patient when dealing with this.
-Other firms do offer more financial rewards (base and bonus structure), but given my work/life balance, I don't consider this much of a con.
-I will say, that since I am on a client-site, I feel a bit disconnected from the BAH culture. Again, not sure if this is a con, but I can imagine it will hinder promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think a lot more needs to be done with the firmwide training (I thought it was awful and a waste of time, needs to be more interactive and actually deal with practical things such as filling out a time sheet). The benefits seem to be following the "cut" trend of other companies. I think this is a mistake considering the pay is much lower than other consulting firms.

Great people, Great benefits, Limited flexibility for career/role change

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHigh quality, talented, and skilled colleagues; great corporate reputation; good benefits; supportive environment for all diversity groups; trying to make changes re: people programs and career definitions/requirements

ConsPromotion requirements have been unclear; assessments don't always take past experience into account - may have dome something in previous role, but if not performing currently, then no credit for it; difficult to break out of "niche" to explore other areas of the firm and grow/develop new skills based on interests.

I worked at Booz Allen for 9 years.

Associate (Former Employee)
McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe people are among the best (fun and intelligent) in the government consulting industry. The pay and benefits are competitive, and there are opportunities to succeed.

ConsAfter going public, costs are clearly being trimmed to stay competitive. The holiday party is no longer epic. Happy hours and free lunches are rare. Raises are smaller. Booz Allen is basically hundreds of small fiefdoms working together (and competing with each other as well as actual external competition). You're on your own (mostly) when your contract ends and it's time to find a new one.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace people in new contracts quickly. Have something lined up before the previous one ends and don't leave it up to the employee.

Fantastic company

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart hard-working people, great mentoring, great work-life balance. Fantastic culture for people who want to learn a lot about proposals, contracts, and consulting.

ConsLots of work outside your 40 billable hours if you want to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Keep mentoring your local people as much as possible.

It has been a great ride and hope it last for a while longer.

0b04a0c4@opayq.com (Current Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

ProsEven with all the changes in the culture, it is still a very good place to work. I like the emphasis on ethics and innovation and creativity. There is strong support for developing your skills and abilities. Volunteerism is widely promoted.

ConsThe flow of information has changed from being pushed down the chain of command to the team members to a flood of information broadcast in such a high amount that finding valuable information about what is going on is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Very talented people are having a hard time finding positions before being let go because of the crappy person-to-position matching process.

Advice to Senior ManagementUndercover Boss (include HR and RM)

Climb the mountain and build strong character.

Lead Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat place to cut your teeth and learn to work hard. At the true workforce ranks of Consultant to Lead Associate, you can have a lot of opportunity as a self starter to tackle challenging client problems. There are many people that will challenge you and make you a more dynamic problem solver.

ConsThe business is shifting and upward mobility is difficult after Lead Associate. With downward pressure on rates and how the company is set up, they need to reduce overhead. There is less and less reinvestment back into the employee base. You now have to make up all of your training time by working an overage of billable hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuy the firm back and provide yourselves the ability to reinvest and have flexibility with the business. This business can not operate from quarter to quarter results. Intellectual capital is the silent loss.

Change is a constant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat work/life balance and very flexible when it comes to work location for off client site.

ConsExpensive to hire. Cuts to management staff and benefits haven't done much to compensate for high overhead costs.

Booz Allen

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent support within team and work/life balance

Consthis really is a great company, there are a few shortcomings in the HR department.

Booz Allen - good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

ProsGreat teamwork, extensive reach back, numerous training and certification offerings and opportunities. The consultants are very helping and more than willing to share information and intellectual capital with other teams. There are numerous networking events after work for team building and networking.

ConsWorking on client site makes it difficult to network with your colleagues, especially if your contract or project; however, this is the case with consulting. It is sometimes difficult to make it back to your home team site for meetings and networking events during the work week.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booz Allen Hamilton reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Booz Allen Hamilton CEO Ralph W. Shrader. All 1,915 reviews posted anonymously by Booz Allen Hamilton employees.