Booz Allen Hamilton

2,127 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,291 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 283 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance (in 103 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Tremendous amount of opportunity and professional growth

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Booz offers flexible work schedules. The client's we support have extremely exciting missions where Booz Allen staff are able to provide real impact. Leadership cares about their staff and continuously provides opportunities for growth

Cons

The firm communications are definitely lacking. The rumor mill far outpaces the corporate communications, and when those communications come out, they are not in tune with the staff. Corporate policies can inhibit agility to response to unique client challenges

Best company I have worked for among the five governement contract companies I have been employed by.

Former Employee - Military Analyst  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Military Analyst in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A very professional and caring atmosphere driven towards mission accomplishment and a happy client employee relationship. Work toward a collaborative future as a team, made me feel at home. Challenging work and very fare compensation and an excellent benefits package, the best I have been a part of to date.

Cons

I have little negative to say about the company. I was in a unique situation which didn't help me out. Both of my first line leaders left the firm and as a lone on-client-site employee I got lost by the next level of leadership who really didn't know me or what I was doing.

Care and Communicate

Awesome company to work for!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Fort Knox, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Fort Knox, KY

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leadership is very professional and understanding

Cons

none to speak of; enjoyed my time with the company

no real advice

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great employer for the most part

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is very apparent that BAH genuinely cares for its employees. It goes out of its way to find work for its people when contracts dry up, maximizing the talents of its personnel to ensure they have valuable, meaningful work. The leadership at the top at the regional office I work are very impressive, with the middle managers just below them a mixed bag as far as leadership ability. Still, there is no doubt that they care deeply for the employees.

There are opportunities to move around the company, and the opportunities are worldwide. If you don't like it where you're at and you have some mobility, this is an excellent company to work for!

The large majority of folks I've worked with are very intelligent, which is refreshing when working in an environment surrounded by entitled government employees.

Cons

The move to being publicly traded has come with some trade-offs when it comes to benefits. Read: "Take care of the investors before the employees" (loss of employee perks and benefits in some cases). Salaries and programs such as education reimbursement have severely been cut.

I have witnessed a lack of diversity when it comes to overall management and the allocation of promotions, though I think this is more perception than reality. As one lower-level employee put it, "It's hard to get promoted unless you're part of the 'old white men's club'." To its credit, I think the management at the regional office I work at has noticed this, though any action to remedy the perception and/or the numbers hasn't occured.

If you are at a regional office or "hoteling", good luck feeling like you're part of the big show in the DC area. If the DC set doesn't suit you, though, you'll enjoy being away from that flagpole. BAH has a lot of great locations to work at, so happy hunting.

So far...so good!

Current Employee - Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great on-boarding experience from the initial recruiter contact to the orientation course!

Cons

None yet! I am curious to see how the raise process works since the appraisal period changed after I joined the company. My annual anniversary date yielded a 1% raise, but I have been told that I MAY be considered for a further raise during the formal cycle in January...fingers crossed.

No explanation or discussion with my line of management of the 1% raise I received on my anniversary date. It would be nice to have it explained, e.g. why 1%, any further considerations or things I need to to, etc.

Great for growth, requires your contribution to keep it moving

Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great colleagues, collaborative and knowledge sharing, but don't expect to sit back and have it handed to you - you have to put your time and effort into getting the most out of the company. When you articulate what you want and where you want to go, and develop a plan with your manager and team, then there is lots of support and opportunity. If you sit back and expect it to just happen, it won't happen.

Cons

The environment and operating model changes ever so slightly and sometimes vastly each year - you have to be flexible and adaptable to these changes and make them work for you. If you want your own work area to hang your pictures and talk around the water cooler, might not be the place - very transient, at the customer site, or at various offices to make things happen.

Go onsite more often - experience what the team experiences. Don't wait to be invited, just take it in for what it is to the person with boots on the ground.

Good company to work for, great work life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Booz is a great place to work. Lots of flexibility as far as opportunities and work life balance. Great first job. They are always looking at ways to improve upon the way that they operate as an organization and put their employees first. They really understand that without its consultants they would not be able to achieve the amount of success it has and it shows. Tons of training opportunities although that time doesn't count towards your billable hours so you have to be careful not dig yourself into a hole you can't get out of.

Cons

It is easy to get "lost" but this really depends on your management team and your ability to network. The company is large and sometimes inexperience can hurt you. In some situations you may be without a project and though there are some available, you are not qualified enough for the position. It's not always easy to cross markets once you start out.

Make sure those in charge of the daily operations of employees, Lead Associates and above, actually care about the wellness and livelihood of those that report to them.

After two years, I still like my job!

Current Employee - Associate  in  Aberdeen, MD
    Current Employee - Associate in Aberdeen, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

BAH encourages their employees to learn and to work with others to complete projects. One of the big pushes is networking. We have meetings, lunches, discussions and presentations available on a regular basis to help network, meet other employees, and/or learn more on a topic or a BAH offering.

Cons

Working on proposals for new work or to continue current work can be time heavy and exhausting. I've worked multiple weeks of 12-14+ hour days on this type of work.

Acknowledge a broader spectrum of employees for projects. It seems that many people do the work for the success, but the same few get noticed all the time.

BAH cares about it's personnel and works diligently to increase market share and keep it's employees engaged.

Current Employee - EOD Analyst  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - EOD Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunities to continue serving your country post-military.

Cons

Opportunities are restricted to geographic locations around military installations.

BAH upper management are pseudo-military. More time and energy is wasted on sexual harassment training than on core competency training IOT give the appearance of walking in lock-step with DOD.

Incredible experience - Met talented, friendly, and great people. Flexible work hours, great life balance

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really enjoyed the people and experience as a whole - Pentagon was a cool place to work at. Both client and Booz co-workers were great. Hours can't be beat, was rarely asked to work a minute over 40 hours. Got 3 weeks vacation and 6% $ for $ 401k matching.

Cons

Money doesn't seem to be all that competitive anymore. Benefits in general took a massive hit since the company went public and are continuing to decline. Our CEO keeps sending mass emails saying how great the company is doing as the profit increases while our revenue decreases. I wonder how they are able to accomplish this...

Stop cutting basic benefits and salaries. Gotta draw the line between reasonable cost savings and completely losing the ability to hire talented employees. This only works short term until talented people begin to leave gradually.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!