Booz Allen Hamilton

2,180 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,320 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 294 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 111 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Working for Booz PRE-Carlyle Buy-Out

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You felt like you were one of the elite; working for one of the best companies in the market, a company that was very selective about who it hired. The compensation was fair. The benefits were awesome - especially the 401K and training. Leadership knew you and you knew leadership. Career development was the mantra for taking care of staff. The annual assessments were constructive and critical; there might be some hard pills to swallow in the debrief but the information was typically spot-on and was meant to help you grow as a professional.

Cons

Seemed as if climbing the ladder above Senior Associate required someone to retire, die, and/or have testicles - and it required breakfast, lunch, and dinner meetings on a regular basis to "socialize" your career progression. Many of the social events included drinking or golf - what if you didn't like those? They did have a part time track for work-life balance, but that usually meant earning 75% of your prior pay for the ability to answer emails and requests from home and your workload didn't seem to diminish. I fault the very senior leadership for selling out to Carlyle and ruining what had been a great company. Principals and Senior Associates asked if they could buy company stock to help raise money for the "Booz & Company" folks who wanted out of Booz Allen Hamilton and we were told NO. Bad decision.

From what I hear, Booz is now just another Beltway Bandit. P&L are taking precedence over quality deliver and quality staff care because the "P" is expected to be much larger than it had been in the past. To regain the reputation of old, refocus on staff care and quality delivery. Lose the multiple layers of management and "bean counting" that takes staff away from client delivery.

A good company for REALLY hard workers

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is usually interesting work available, and there are some very bright people on staff. The pay is pretty good compared to other east-coast companies. You are rewarded nicely if you pour your heart and soul and weekends in to your work.

Cons

In order to "make it," you are expected to average about 60-70 hours a week. In other places, this might be something that happens every once in awhile, and your bosses notice your extra commitment, but at Booz Allen, this is kind of the minimum level of effort to really get "noticed." This makes it really hard to maintain a good family work-life balance and also climb the ladder.

Really smart people wear down when run raw, especially in situations where the company pits the internal members against each other for success, rather than to work together for a common goal. Need more focus on teamwork.

Interesting work, requires internal networking for follow-on work

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for variety in work. Work with smart people and interesting projects. On the job training for skills and paid training for certifications. If your current project ends, management works with you to find other projects.

Cons

Sometimes work isn't ideal based on your skills and interests, depending on available projects. Networking internally nets more work but is often difficult due to team silos and client side work.

Amazing company culture, interesting work, so much room for growth, underpaid

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company Culture
    Company Volunteers for awesome events
    Room for Growth
    Interesting Projects, never gets old. You'll never feel stuck because they'll put you on new projects that are
    Company Name. As Booz wins more contracts, the company name keeps growing stronger and continues to look great on a resume

Cons

Compensation. Because Booz Allen deals with mostly government contracts, the margins are low and therefore pass on the low pay to its employees. The only thing missing about this company is the pay. For the quality work I do, I feel that I'm underpaid.

Pay your employees more

Great place for transition from science/tech background to business

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Booz Allen employees are collaborative, smart, and innovative
    - Multi-disciplinary team work is engaging and interesting
    - Everyone is interested in networking
    - Good hours for a consulting firm
    - Company emphasis on innovation

Cons

- The decentralization of the company makes it difficult to mingle with coworkers outside of your immediate project team
    - Recruiting strategy is unorganized

Develop a university-hiring plan. Hire a cohort of young people and let them build a community and support each other

Once great company that has lost its way - be careful about coming here

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company's reputation, based on past, still looks good on a resume; but that is changing, so if you are joining Booz for that reason, realize that it is a wasting resource.

Cons

Top level management has no idea what business the company is really in; Chairman talks about how we do top level management consulting when all most of us provide government, fill the seat jobs - including low end jobs like help desk. Lower level management is completely driven by thin indirect budgets. It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work". Turnover is very high and job security is essentially zero. Health benefits in 2015 are now on the chopping block..

Booz has a become a weaker, paler imitation of an aerospace company, but without the strengths of an aerospace company. The whole strategy appears to be cost cutting - hard to reconcile in a company which used to justify its rates based on quality. And, of course, our clients and competitors see this.

Changing Environment

Current Employee - Staff Technologist in California, MD
    Current Employee - Staff Technologist in California, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Booz Allen is a good company to start your career out at. They great job mobility program and encourage their employees reach their educational goals. There is collaboration across teams to get things done and make Booz Allen and one voice.

Cons

Constant change in the company makes it hard to get use to how we are suppose to operate. It seems as if the company has shifted it focus from it employees to its stakeholders, since it went public, which has made it less desirable to work for.

Diverse company with lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A wide variety of groups and projects to involve yourself in. Lots of flexibility in work location and schedule.

Cons

The Strategic Innovation Group can seem like it's struggling to find direction. Training hasn't quite been figured out for deep technical tracks.

Well organized and managed.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Great benefits, training opportunities, and time-off policies. Very diverse!

Cons

Big business in a small-business world.

A firm that treats it's employees like people and not numbers on a spreadsheet

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Still considered to be "new" with the firm having been here only two years, however they have been a good two years. The managers I have been in contact with care about their staff and work to make sure you feel valued in the organization. In my two years I have worked with three separate clients making work always interesting with changing scenery. The benefits are better than what I was getting with my previous employer. Some other reviews might talk about how the firm isn't what it used to be, but being new I don't have a negative outlook on how the firm is changing. There are lots of opportunities to learn new skills and to enhance the skills you already have. They offer an annual training budget you can use for certifications or other professional courses.

Cons

In the two years i have worked here I have worked for three separate clients. Although this keeps the work interesting and new, it is also a little concerning at the end of each contract to see where you will be placed or if you will be laid off. I spend a couple months not working at a client site when my contract expired but the firm kept me on and got me placed with a new client.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos