Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Horacio D. Rozanski

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is pretty awesome (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • It's challenging to find proper work/life balance (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

2,628 Employee Reviews

Lead Associate

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than 5 years)

Pros

I consistently feel like I work with the best and brightest. The diversity of employee backgrounds brings rich value to project work and to the client. If you need to augment your team's skill set with something else, you will absolutely find it either through your network or resource management. I also consistently feel that the work we do is making an impact.

Cons

The company has changed a great deal since going public a few years ago. Pressures on utilization have increased greatly - the amount of people getting a "lack of work" notice has increased. People are not given adequate credit for all of the extra proposal/BD work they do on top of billable work... the pressure to be billable is higher, yet the expectation to do BD work "in your free time" remains the same. This makes work/life balance challenging at times. Additionally, the higher you are promoted, the more "expensive" you become... which makes it harder to stay billable (you will no longer be considered for certain roles, given your cost as a resource). It seems a strategy to pressure senior leaders to grow their teams, if we are over-hiring then letting people go a few months later. Benefits have changed dramatically for the worse and pay increases are nowhere near what they used to be. The retirement plan and healthcare benefits are MUCH worse than they used to be (albeit still better than many other firms.) You will be lucky if you get a 2% increase, so it does not keep pace with inflation certainly. There are no bonuses. The firm is an extremely political place to work. Your success is highly dependent on having a strong set of advocates and a big network. There are many overlapping "sandboxes," so you must be careful not to anger the wrong group of people.

Advice to Management

Reconsider your hiring strategy - stop over-forecasting growth, expecting senior leaders to aggressively hire, and setting them up to fire people a few months down the road because they can't find project work. It is demoralizing to the entire firm. Maintain parity across accounts in pay ranges to avoid the perception of unfaireness.

2. Excellent company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Been here 6 years, great people, great company

Cons

Work life balance can suffer if your on the wrong team..

Advice to Management

None

3. Nice company, comparable benefits and training

Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Grew place to get your start and learn a good foundation for government consulting.

Cons

They are A very large company, and very competitive. They are very much profit-driven so anyone who requires more hand holding or one-on-one interaction with management may feel a bit lost here.

5. good so far for me

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

great training and people are very encouraging

Cons

training at corporate office while team works at another site

6. Work Opportunity

Pros

Good company to work with. Excellent benefits and ability to work remotely.

Cons

Need marketing skills for advancement. High priority in getting contracts.

7. Associate Level III

Current Employee - Associate III in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate III in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Excellent training & educational benefits Great Employee resources to determine career path Structured advancement process Wide variety of employment positions

Cons

Stiff & rigid working environment Arrogant attitudes of young employees Too much weight on employees PMP certifications Very lengthy employee annual assessment reviews

Advice to Management

Stay connected with front line employees working directly with clients in day-to-day operations

8. so far so good

Pros

I've been here for roughly 6 months and I have no complaints so far. I like the companies "People Model". All employees are given a career manager and a functional community as a means of facilitating career development and advancement. I like the idea of career planning because it gives me a sense of motivation knowing that I may be rewarded for going the extra mile.

Cons

Will not pay you what you're worth unless you ask for it so don't underbid on your salary requirements.

9. Great company with some minor issues

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Great company and internal support for training and team support

Cons

Low raises even if you work your butt off.

Advice to Management

Recognize talented staff

Overall a good company to work for

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wide variety of work, tasks and clients (in the DC area, anyway...other geographies are more limited). High caliber of employees, colleagues and teammates. Supportive team environment. Fosters individual growth and development. Good benefits. Ethical, value-oriented, supportive organizational culture. Mentoring is promoted and valued. There are opportunities to work abroad. The firm is very supportive to employees who have to relocate due to military family moves or other reasons employees have to relocate. While they can't guarantee they will have a position for you in your new location, they have an entire team dedicated to helping you find a new position and make every effort to do so. Great access to upper and senior management, including Partners.

Cons

When I first started 10 years ago, the firm had separate vacation and sick leave banks, and the sick leave was UNLIMITED (yes, you read that correctly). They then switched to one bank of Paid Time Off (PTO) to use for sick time and vacation, so you are basically penalized by draining any potential vacation time you have if God forbid you get really sick and have to use up all your PTO due to illness. On top of that, the amount of PTO time is not very generous and is accrued based on your career level and years of service. So, if you are an entry level consultant and just starting out, forget about earning much vacation time until you have a few years under your belt and promote to higher levels. The firm also promotes a work-life balance, but in my experience this varies by individual team, and I've seen little work-life balance demonstrated.

11. Good Benefits

Pros

they have really good benefits

Cons

The commute can be really difficult

Showing 2,628 of 2,676 reviews