Booz Allen Hamilton

Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

3.7

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Booz Allen is a great place to work as long as you know how to network and be your own advocate

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

For the most part, Booz Allen Hamilton has great senior leadership. They always ask me what I want to work on and try their best to make sure their plans with me correspond to my own career goals. I think if something is not working or you are unhappy, they would rather figure out a comprise then have you leave. I always feel that my bosses are watching my back and keeping a look out for opportunities that I may be interested in. This alone has kept me at Booz Allen since I started working there. Because of this I have developed a loyalty towards my group and it would take a lot for me to leave.

For a new college graduate, Booz Allen is a great place to work. Most of the people I work with are in their 20s. It is an easy place to make friends and work with people in a similar situation as you. That being said, there are also people there of all ages. It is a good mix people from different backgrounds and experiences: technical or personal.

Another great reason to work at Booz Allen is job security. Since Booz Allen split from its commercial side, essentially making the whole company government contracting, we are not affected by the economic down turn. Another reason is that Booz Allen is a private company. We do not have to answer to share holders and the partners do not have to downsize to improve profit margins. I feel extremely secure with my job.

Cons

Sometimes your work doesn't always speak for itself. You can do great work, but if no one notices it then it really didn't happen. You have to be your own greatest advocate. Make sure people notice your work. Your admin manager is not always on the same project as you, so when it comes down to your annual review, you need to best convey your accomplishments. It also helps to have other people advocating your accomplishments such as your project managers your worked with and fellow colleagues.

Also, to be successful at Booz Allen, networking is key. This isn't necessarily a downside, but if you are not social, you will be lost in the fray. This is not saying that you will not like working at Booz Allen, but to get recognized and open up the opportunities you want, you need to network as much as possible.

One downside I have experienced at Booz Allen is that your admin managers don't always necessarily do all the work to find a project for you. If your own group doesn't have work for you, then you have to start looking for billable work outside your group. Your manager helps you out, but at the same time, you are doing most of the work yourself. Finding opportunities in the company, sending out e-mails, following up, and interviewing with those project to get on. This can be a good or bad thing. You have the ability to guide your own career, but at the same time it can sometimes be annoying and cumbersome to make sure you are billable. This being said, usually when I jump on a project, you are able to stay on for at least 6 months to 2 years depending on the project. But it is the times when I am rolling off a project that this situation happens. Different people in Booz Allen have different experiences with this, but my experience has been that I do most of the work to find myself a new project. Ultimately, the onus is on your admin manager, but you need help the process out as much as possible. If you are not billable for a long amount of time (1-2 month +), your employment at Booz Allen can end. I have never seen this happen, but I have heard of it happening in other groups. With all of this being said, I have been 100% billable the whole time I have been at Booz Allen. This whole point comes back to my networking comment beforehand. The more your network, the easier it is to find your next project.

Another downside with Booz Allen is that their tuition reimbursement amount, in my opinion, is lower than it should be. They offer $5,000 a year, but with rising tuition costs, I think it should be raised. This could be a non-issue for you if you are not looking to get another degree. They do on the other hand offer $2,500 towards a certification or training class, which might be more inline with people who aren't interested in a degree.

The advice I would give to Senior Management is that if you want happy employees, make sure that you try to incorporate their career goals into the plans that you have with them the best you can. If employees see that through Booz Allen, they can achieve their career goals, then they will be more likley to stay. Even if they are on a bad project, they know that on the next project, you will try to help them obtain one that more aligns to what they want to do.

Great name for your resume, but keep options open.

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Work life balance, benefits, diversity of work/projects, locations of offices. Hard to beat in terms of benefits.

Cons

Being a "hard charger" on the government side is not always seen as a "good thing"; sometimes, promotions take a "wait your turn" or are biased towards a particular skill set, rather than based on a holistic evaluation of an individual's ability to lead and/or manage. Leap from Associate to Senior Associate is a chasm; needs to be less based on having the right "advocate" and based more on the ability of the individual to contribute to the growth of the firm and quality of leadership/management demonstrated by that individual.

Reward the people who take initiative and continue challenging people to retain talent.

Be prepared for cumbersome assessment processes

Former Employee - Technology Consulting Associate in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Technology Consulting Associate in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

This is an organization that truly values its employees. The environment is dynamic and challenging, but overall rewarding.

Cons

The company lives by its core values and expects its employees to live by those same values. The annual assessment process scrutinizes these values and can be very competitive, particularly if an associate is up for an advancement. These processes can be cumbersome and time consuming. Bottom line, administrative tasks can be overwhelming.

Provide a means to streamline administrative work so consultants can focus on providing the best service possible to its clients. Also update the BAH sharepoint portal. A great tool to share information, but the technology is inadequate given the alternatives that are available today.

Young and 2 years in; a fair perspective

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Career opportunities and professional development are stressed at Booz Allen and if you are driven individual you can achieve very satisfying growth with this firm. On the other hand you can also settle into a slow steady growth if you are happy to just do your work and go home. These options will allow anyone to be satisfied with Booz Allen as an employer. Above personal growth the people that work for Booz Allen are of the highest caliber and create a work environment where your greatest resource are your peers. The wealth of knowledge and experience is a great place to work and learn how to excel as a government consultant.

Cons

The bottom line is that Booz Allen is a very large firm, as a result there are certain aspects of the organization structure where you really feel like a small fish in a big pond. The assessment process is annual and a pain and most likely isn't structured as effectively as it could be. Also your experience is contingent on the contract you work on and your senior management. I know of people who had pretty bad experiences getting stuck on a team with a boss that didn't care about their growth and work that was boring. It can be hard when you find yourself in that position but then one of the benefits of a large firm can shine through when you transfer internally to a better position.

Always keep an open door policy and really mean it.

Fast paced and great for professional growth

Current Employee - Consultant in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Decent pay
    $5000 towards education
    Professional Growth

Cons

Inconsistent promotions - Lazy bums getting promoted over more qualified employees.

None

Booz is good

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Salary is very comparable if you negotiate. Comprehensive benefits. Peers are envious of Booz Allen employment.

Cons

Hours expected to work to get ahead. If your not carefull you can get forgotten. You have to really want to get promoted.

Listen to subordinates.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Awesome team environment, great projects, amazing management.

Cons

The pay is on the low end. I could make a heck of a lot more money at another consulting firm, but the work/life balance wouldn't be as good. Also, There need to be better opportunities for younger employees to transition from the firm to an MBA program and back again, it would make the difference between staying with Booz Allen or going to another consulting firm after business school. I don't know if you do it through more funding for MBA programs, etc, but we need to do a better job on it.

Smart people....but BAH takes "full time" to a whole new level

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Intelligent colleagues. Some flexibility in schedules when appropriate. $5000 tuition reimbursement annually for employees. Ridiculous amount of food available at most meetings. Many resources are available...provided you have the time to research/access the most effective way to reach these resources. Post office on-site in McLean.

Cons

Don't know anyone at BAH who actually takes a vacation...you may not work ten hours/day when you"re off...but you'll still be working! The assessment process (especially for Global Operations team) is inefficient, unwieldy, cumbersome and redundant....even worse, the assessment process does not hold management accountable for managing their employees. Senior leadership is not in touch with their staff.

Show the employees that you value their contributions...revisit the salary/compensation structure and invest in your employees

Consider alternatives if you have them

Current Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Booz provides somegaining some initial work experience from a coulting company having name recognition

Cons

The pay and other compensatory benefits were comparatively lower than the packages offered by other companies. The recruiter projected arrogance and excess (undeserved) hubris. I am unimpressed by the excessive jingoism and the fungible assignments. Suggest looking for a more sincere culture which empasizes the value and worth of the individual rather than the concocted "privilege" of being a Booz associate.

no comment

A diverse, intellectually-focused firm that should weather the current storm and be positioned for continued growth.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Above all, there is a real commitment to living by its core values. This is not to say that incidents don't occur which violate them - but that they appear to play a larger role in the day to day culture of the organization than any other consulting firm I have worked with/for. As well, they are reinforced by a true 360 performance evaluation process. This process is time consuming, but in many ways it provides a buffer against favoritism and bias influencing salary and promotion decisions,by mandating a broad range of feedback sources and oftentimes also involving an objective 3rd party reviewer to collect and compile input into an initial evaluation. The workforce impresses in the range of experience, with colleagues from a variety of different backgrounds including private sector consulting, engineering, military service, intelligence and security fields, and the non-profit world. This diversity of background is one aspect of the Firm's overall diversity approach, which was energized in past years by the Board Diversity Initiative, and is now reaching its 5-year anniversary. While the workforce comes from diverse backgrounds, an appreciation for the intellectual rigor brought to addressing problems unites them; Booz Allen's work style and training in logical problem structuring and analysis helps to reinforce this commonality. Finally, the overall stability of the organization during current and previous economic cycles represents a clear advantage during this time, and with potential opportunities growing in the years following the Booz Allen/Booz & Co. separation, the future outlook continues to be positive.

Cons

The quality of life at Booz Allen definitely depends upon the project an individual is assigned to. In particular, there are the "black hole" engagements where someone may be staffed and not reappear for years; this is even more typical with government clients than in the private sector. While this can help with career advancement by positioning someone to know a client well and grow their business case for moving into a management role, it can also prove stultifying for those individuals who enjoy the frequency of change and new experiences that consulting has traditionally offered. As well, Booz Allen - rightly or wrongly - suffers from the perception that its compensation is not in par with the market, due in part to the perceived quality of life trade-offs (e.g. limited/no travel for staff). This will continue to be an on-going challenge, although those who actively engage their leadership can sometimes drive for improved salary adjustments - a case where the "squeaky wheel" approach works well. Finally, as in any organization, politics are a consideration; in Booz Allen, they come into play in part with the competition for advancement encouraging territoriality around specific clients and/or capability areas.

The middle levels of the company - the Associates - need to have their roles clarified and potentially broken down, with more incentive for those Associates with more experience and responsibility, potentially including inclusion in the annual bonus programs. Apparently this initiative is under consideration, but action definitely needs to be taken sooner rather than later. In addition, progress still needs to be made on integrating teams across markets/capabilities - while there has been improvement over the past, Booz Allen still has many overlaps that create confusion among potential clients and recruits, and exacerbate some of the internal tensions.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos