Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Horacio D. Rozanski

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is pretty awesome (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • It's challenging to find proper work/life balance (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

2,568 Employee Reviews

1. Booz Allen is an amazing company to work for, especially if you are in you early to late 20's!

Current Employee - Consultant in West McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in West McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Booz Allen is my first job out of college. I thought coming in I would be treated as the "new girl" but it has been the opposite. I have been given multiple opportunities to take on leadershiop roles within my client roles. Booz Allen has continued to make me feel like I was hired for my expertise and talent by tursting me with important deliverables and responsibilties. The company prides and itself in their hiring power and shows that with the continued respect that is shown for all the employees through recognition programs and other incentives. The company is also great if you are a young person not only because there is an insane amount of possible growth but also because you working with colleagues in your age range. Some of the best friends I have made are those I work with on a daily basis!

Cons

Booz Allen is a large company, that is not so much a downside but it does mean you need to work extra hard to network within the company. Like most companies networking is very important and Booz Allen knows this and pounds it into your head that you need to participate in activities that initiate networking. Even though it may seem tough and frustrating to go to events after you have already been working all day but Booz Allen makes it a point to plan fun and creative networking activities and events. You do get used to the size of the company, even though at the beginning you may feel intimidated by its size.

Advice to Management

I think that the Senior Management is doing a great job. It is hard for me to imagine the work load they must have between managing thier teams, working on assessments, and delivering qualtiy deliverables to their clients but somehow they get it all done. The only advice I would offer is keeping in mind that the a balance of all of the responsibilities is very important in ensure that all of the employees under you feel they have a voice.

2. It's not just a job, it's a lifestyle

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Associate in West McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Associate in West McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Respect, job satisfaction, variety of engagements

Cons

Long hours if you make the jump to senior staff

Advice to Management

None

3. You can't miss with Booz Allen

Current Employee - Senior Consultant Developer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant Developer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Great opportunities for professional development, great benefits package, flex schedules, telecommuting

Cons

Sometimes you can be stuck on a client site without any direct Booz Allen leadership available. It's easy to feel isolated if you don't reach out to others within the company.

Advice to Management

keep up the great work. The long interview process works and helps identify the best candidates for the job. I would recommend lowering the vesting period for the 401K matching. Allow client-site employees to have access to management/business development training more often.

5. A Great Place to Build a Career

Former Employee - Strategic Business Intelligence in West McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Strategic Business Intelligence in West McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

the environment, the people, diversity

Cons

very competittive, hard to get comprehensive training

Advice to Management

use interns more

6. BAH is an incredible place to work.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

work life balance, compensation, management, the work itself

Cons

wish there was a metro near McLean

Advice to Management

they are doing a great job

7. Booz Allen - great work, great people, and great learning

Current Employee - Associate in West McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in West McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

You are treated like an adult, fairly and openly. Expectations are high, but no higher than those you put on yourself. Because Booz Allen is an Honest Broker, the only thing the Firm sells is it's people. There are no pressures to sell equipment and/or software because of partnerships with other companies. You are their bread and butter, so no one stops you from reaching for the stars! As large as Booz Allen is, how cool is it when your senior managers ask you what you want to do when you grow up? You get to work on great projects that make a difference in a collaborative environment. The best part, Booz Allen practices what it preaches. They don't just do something because it's in style or because it's management du jour. They do it because it makes sense and it's the right thing to do. How many companies say that Core Values mean something, then make it the first page of your annual assessment? How many companies will refuse work if it's not a good fit? How many companies say "family comes first" and mean it? Booz Allen is all of this and more. It is a joy coming to work every day.

Cons

The company uses a "matrix management" approach, wherein you are assigned to projects and teams, not a beaurocratic tree. The cool thing is that the right people are assigned to the right projects. The downside is that if you are on multiple projects, you can get spread too thin - kind of like when you're in college and you had 2 papers and 3 tests due on the same day. Time management skills are a key to success. Another downside is that building a personal network is crucial to success within the Booz Allen culture. It takes time, and is based 100% on your reputation to deliver and work well with people. If you want to be a superhero and work alone, this is not the company for you. If you want to be recognized for good work in a team environment, however, come on down!

Advice to Management

Consider ways in which you can better reward Associates, especially those who have been there a long time. There is something wrong with a system that groups half of your employees in the same bucket and makes it extremely difficult to get to the next level. Also, explain the rules for advancement so they are clear. It gets frustrating to not understand what is needed if the game keeps changing.

8. Booz Allen Hamilton - The place to be in DC

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Work-Life balance is a focus at BAH and the opportunity to get a broad experience in IT and Development is a huge plus! The 401k plan is one of the best in the IT world, especially in DC. Health care costs are low and internal training is the best in the business.

Cons

If you are a true introvert then BAH may not be the place for you. Networking within the company is a large component of success and getting promoted to the higher levels of management can be a challenge but there are paths defined within the company to get you there.

Advice to Management

Share more information on the coming company split and the anticipated impacts to the lower level company members. Focus on preventing sweeping changes when the split is formalized.

9. Superb corporate culture, uncertain prospects with sale to Carlyle

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Consultant in West McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Consultant in West McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

The level of engagement of the employees is very high. Most everyone wants to be exceptional at what they do. This makes for a great environment. The training program is world class. Tuition advancement is generous and very easy to use. You get an office. There are no cubes. There is an excellent culture of assisting one another. If you need help or suggestions with a problem, you will literally get more expert help than you can use from throughout the firm.

Cons

I have been with the firm more than 8 years and have yet to encounter anything serious. When the employees are doing things the Booz Allen way, Booz Allen is unbeatable.

Advice to Management

Take even more caution while we expand rapidly to ensure we foster and maintain our unique culture in the new employees. In general, no one I know at the firm is convinced the sale to Carlyle was good for the firm as a whole. The impression is that this was good play financially for the partners but not the health of the firm as a whole.

Booz is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

The opportunities are the best reasons to work for Booz Allen.

Cons

Traffic is one downsides of working at Booz Allen

Advice to Management

None.

11. A great place to work

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

You will always have the entire Booz Allen network to consult when you may be stumped on a product. The networking and value system shows that Booz Allen is all about finding the right people to hire into the firm.

Cons

Some jobs may not let you branch into others areas depending on your expertise.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great job you have been.

Showing 2,568 of 2,609 reviews