Booz Allen Hamilton

2,284 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,368 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Run by green-eye shade accountants.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing. I could not recommend it to a friend.

Cons

Ebeneezer Scrooge was a spendthrift in comparison to current management. Forget the employees who actually make a profit for the place. This is all about Carlyle maximizing its returns while they run the place and its employees into the ground.

Take the place private again. Being publicly-traded is destroying the company's reputation as a top quality firm. It is now seen as just another professional services company. And it is seen as a cheapskate by the employees.

No job growth, all politics

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

I believe working in a corporate environment was the only added benefit, to learn how to work within a large company context

Cons

Company moral and respect for employees low; lack of employee diversity; no job growth opportunities; experienced discriminatory language from senior management

Work harder to understand employee needs and growth expectations and make opportunities for growth and professional development

I am somewhat satisfied with my experience at Booz Allen.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Good work-life balance, good name recognition among firms in DC.

Cons

Unsure if my skills are transferable.

Just another contract gig

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

None that I can think of, honestly, other than a paycheck, constantly eroding benefits, and low morale... Oh, pros? Never mind.

Cons

Constantly eroding benefits - did I mention that already? Told I was coming into a career situation with a great company, but turns out it's another butt-in-seat contract gig and I guess that's all I have to look forward to here.

So long as BAH is publicly traded, there's no advice I could offer that would make a difference to the rank and file who makes the profits for the company.

Lost Cause

Current Employee - Lead Associate (Project Manager) in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Associate (Project Manager) in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Having BAH on your resume isn't a career killer... yet. The company does have contracts and relationships with senior government so opportunities do exist to do interesting work.

Cons

BLUF: best to avoid at least for now. Post IPO the firm must work through the growing pains, and either mature, or fail.
    Salaries are falling. Many recent stories of pay cuts at both senior and mid-level employees. Benefits have been dramatically cut. The ECAP/401(k) has been dramatically reduced. The health insurance is both laughable and expensive. Training is handed out sparingly and only to those in favor. Hoteling-based work environment for the lucky few who aren't pushed to client site 100%.
    Leadership has no idea how to interact with on site employees, limiting career opportunity for those on site. The company doesn't invest in the formal systems needed for an org its size, so HR, IT, financial tools, staff networking, etc is frustrating at best. Career planning is nothing but a hope and a prayer.
    Finally, the firm has some tough decisions to make. It has been moving down the consulting chain away from strategy to more butts-in-seats work to chase top line revenues. These contracts are tighter margin hence the salary and benefits cuts. It's hiring, staffing, marketing, pricing, and staff training and retention programs must adapt to these realities. In the meantime, continue to expect mid level and highly talented employees to continue to leave as the mix of interesting work ends and cost pressures drive staffing to young and cheaper new hires.

Transparency, honesty, and clear leadership and direction is what's required. Current communications are vague, irrelevant or disingenuous.

Here's what Booz Allen CEO Ralph Shrader and his heir apparent raked in last year!

Former Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

For Booz Allen Hamilton CEO Ralph Shrader, last year was a pretty good year. And it wasn’t bad for his heir apparent, either.
    The McLean-based company, which ended its fiscal 2014 March 31, paid its chief executive of 15 years a total of $3.25 million in compensation according to its proxy statement filed with the Securities & Exchange Commissio n Monday — about half of which was in salary. It's actually a bit of a dip from 2013's $3.8 million, but still considerably higher than the $2.52 million he got in 2012.
    Beyond salary, Shrader raked in nearly $800,000 in cash bonuses, about $600,000 in stock awards, and about $700,000 in “other compensation,” which includes mostly dividends on vested stock options and retirement contributions, as well as such things as club memberships, financial counseling, and medical plan contributions.

Cons

In 2015, Booz Allen is switching from a competitive health insurance benefit package to an employer cost saving high deductible plan. Employee costs will increase dramatically, as the 2015 insurance package has a $2600.00 family deductible before healthcare costs are covered. Prior to this switch, Booz Allen had an average $0 deductible plan.

Just keep on robing Peter to pay Paul!

One size fits all

Former Employee - Associate Consultant
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

I was hired in late 2012 to join the Technology Group as an Associate.at Booz Allen Hamilton
    (it seems almost everyone at Booz Allen Hamilton is an Associate).

Cons

Sometime thereafter, there was a statement released by the company that no one below Senior Associate would be affected by a salary reduction due to sequestration --- but guess what?
    In 2014, I was given the option to take a 20% cut in salary or receive a "Lack of Work" letter.
    I chose the letter.

One of the core values which Booz Allen Hamilton claims to embrace is integrity.
    I always thought of integrity as being honest. Saying one thing and then going back on your word is not honest.

This is a company with a "one size fits all” mentality. The senior associates (mostly ex-military) in my
    office, who lacked college degrees, seemed to be always chasing certificates that they could
    hang on their office walls and include in their email signature block to impress others.

So, as the holiday season approaches to those who remain at Booz Allen Hamilton, I say BAH!

Booz Allen Hamilton, shame on you.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

At this moment, I cannot think of one positive thing about the company, except that perhaps among the few long term employees left in the company, there are a handful that are a cut above the rest, they actually do follow the "culture" and are all about integrity. Integrity is a word they like to throw out there as often as possible, but it seems that 90% of the employees are clueless about what integrity is or plainly just do not care.

Cons

They have let go of thousands of life long employees just so they can be replaced with cheaper, less qualified versions if replaced at all. People who have dedicated 30 years to the company are just discarded like trash without even thinking of the sacrifices, countless sleepless nights to meet deadlines, not spending time with your family because you were busy trying to make them money, health issues anywhere from back and neck problems, to high blood pressure, heart issues, stomach issues, mental problems, depression, you name it. But all in all, they all remained loyal and all it got them was a shove out the door as they said we really appreciate all you have done, but... The big BUT is people don't matter, the bottom dollar does.

Go private again. You realized you made a mistake at going public many moons ago and went private, which I'm sure cost a pretty penny and here you are repeating the same stupid mistake and hard working individuals are paying the price. Take a good look at who the managers are and if they really deserve to be there. I have seen a lot of good managers let go because of $$. You need to understand that just because manager X is making less than manager Y, does not mean you will save money by keeping manager X. Manager X will cost you more $$ in the long run with employees quitting or missed deadlines and lack of motivation and drive from their team members If you want to save money, take some of the fat from the top so you can afford to keep quality and loyal employees that give it their all and then some. Some higher ups can live with making 25k to 50k a year. Also, give back the benefits you have cut. The way things are going, sooner than later employees are going to have to start paying the company if they want to keep their job.

Oh, my gosh, Booz

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as a contractor

Pros

Storied name, even if largely faded
    Good colleagues passing through

Cons

On client site mainly; feel like govt worker
    Scant Booz supervision or content
    Seemingly high job insecurity--future unclear, uncharted, uncertain
    Most engagements known about are dweeb work
    Comp nothing to write home about
    Immense time taken by internal organizational, procedural, personnel issues

Reduce by 1/2 the no. of equity partners, in line w their contributions
    Raise comp, especially benefits
    Stop sitting on laurels, old awards, stale differentiators--find the current, real Booz and fix it

Nothing but lip service, horrible morale, and removal of benefits.

Current Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Once had a good name, might still be able to capitalize on that to get your next job.

Cons

When I first hired on (2007) I was promised repeatedly that Booz Allen Hamilton would "never again go public" due to how bad it had damaged the company in the past. They had an attractive benefits package, so I took a reduced salary.

For three years things were fine, until they did precisely what they promised they'd never do: They went public again.

Now the only people of ANY importance are the shareholders. Not the employees, even slightly. Despite getting "exceeds" on my yearly reviews for the past 3 years, I haven't gotten a raise because BAH "couldn't afford it."

Over the past 3 years, they have destroyed ALL benefits. First to go was the PTO, then the 401K, and starting in January, we lose the vast majority of our health benefits. (All while receiving no raises).

During this time, BAH brags to their stakeholders about how much more profitable they were than the year before. They send out E-Mails talking about how these changes will "save Booz Allen $200 million in the next year" all the while, they strip more, and more away from the employees that are actually earning that money.

The morale is at an all time low. On my contract, we started with 16 people. Over the past 2 years, I'm one of two of us that are left. They can't even get anyone in to backfill, and are down to just the 2 slots.

Avoid this company like the plague. It has failed to learn from its own past, and for the second time now it has killed the goose that laid the golden egg, with the guys at the top making millions of dollars while the guys actually doing the work aren't even given scraps.

The company needs to just be allowed to die the way it deserves to.

Figure out who it is that's actually making the money for the company. Bragging publicly that you "saved the company $200 million" while simultaneously stripping the workers of our healthcare is not a smart move.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos