Booz Allen Hamilton

2,243 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,351 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Difficult but worth it

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits still despite cuts, great work/life balance for most people

Cons

Difficult environment - which can be a pro and a con. Work can be hard to find for some people and the value of your job is dependent on the projects you work on. There are times where you may have to fight for your job finding work that is outside of your scope of interest or skill set. This has become increasingly common it seems, although not necessarily a bad thing for those starting a career. Gaining exposure to a lot of different types of work is a learning experience.

Do a better job at placing people on worthwhile projects

Solid company for US jobs, but overseas jobs are more about schmoozing and less about competency.

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great salary, mentorship, and camaraderie within the company for your use. Excellent personnel to work with and/or supervision.

Cons

While overseas, the mentorships don't work because of time delays, distance, etc. Often feel alone with no direction.

If you make a requirement for US positions, need to ensure a suitable not strict compliance for overseas jobs.

Great place to work once you come to terms with the culture.

Former Employee - Associate in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Associate in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, a wealth of knowledge and experience in the company, mentors are at every turn, culture is aimed at developing and growing employees.

Cons

When I first showed up to work I noticed immediately I was by far the youngest person around. I thought at first that was normal but then I noticed more and more over my next 4 years that there is some age discrimination. Not in hiring or blatant but it exists. I was passed over as the lead on projects multiple times by people who were just as, or even less, qualified than I was but they were older. They claim to be a "flat" organization but the hierarchy is very clear. Because most of the staff is former military the culture subsequently became a very militaristic type work environment. In most ways it was good but it did not allow for a lot of chances to disagree or challenge the status quo without being seen as a troublemaker.

Listen to the young people. I promise you that if you give them autonomy and responsibility they will take the firm to places it has never been before. We used to be a top dog but now we are seen as that old dog who has picked his spot with government and waits for its scraps. We have a group called the Strategic Innovation Group, they have not innovated a thing, ever! They take other peoples ideas and try to build on them. You CANNOT innovate sitting in McLean, VA you need to embrace tech and changing times and go out and find the next big thing that is going to put you back on the map!

Low salary and benefits are going away

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Flexible work hour, still good 401K (will get if you are there at the end of year), average PTO (good if you are there for more than 5 years or associate level)

Cons

low salary (will lowball for entry level), health benefit going away (can't afford that are starting in January), have to make up time for training

It's about time to think for future.

Out of site out of mind

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Good benefits, bonus deposited to 401(k) every year for 20+ years, in the trenches some of the smartest, hardest working people I have ever worked with

Cons

Lack of training and job opportunities for those not in the DC area or other big regional offices; career managers only seem to put the work in with those working on site - I had a new career manager every year that I was with the company and only had regular, monthly conversations with one, some I could not get a response from via phone or email and lost training opportunities, etc.

Make an effort to include employees not on BAH site, those of us who are a one deep at a client site or a remote worker.

Booz Allen is no longer an industry leader

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (more than 5 years)

Pros

Up until these past few months, Booz Allen was an employer of choice. The company valued it's employees and aggressively worked to ensure they had industry leading benefits and a top notch work environment.

Cons

Unfortunately, Booz Allen's desire to maximize shareholder profits has turned this once great firm into a second-rate consulting firm. In 2015, Booz Allen is switching from a competitive health insurance benefit package to an employer cost saving high deductible plan. Employee costs will increase dramatically, as the 2015 insurance package has a $2600.00 family deductible before healthcare costs are covered. Prior to this switch, Booz Allen had an average $0 deductible plan. For a family of four, Booz Allen just increased my family's health insurance bill by $2600.00. It's time to look for a new employer.

Stop focusing on shareholder profits when they come at the expense of your employees.

One size fits all

Former Employee - Associate Consultant
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

I was hired in late 2012 to join the Technology Group as an Associate.at Booz Allen Hamilton
    (it seems almost everyone at Booz Allen Hamilton is an Associate).

Cons

Sometime thereafter, there was a statement released by the company that no one below Senior Associate would be affected by a salary reduction due to sequestration --- but guess what?
    In 2014, I was given the option to take a 20% cut in salary or receive a "Lack of Work" letter.
    I chose the letter.

One of the core values which Booz Allen Hamilton claims to embrace is integrity.
    I always thought of integrity as being honest. Saying one thing and then going back on your word is not honest.

This is a company with a "one size fits all” mentality. The senior associates (mostly ex-military) in my
    office, who lacked college degrees, seemed to be always chasing certificates that they could
    hang on their office walls and include in their email signature block to impress others.

So, as the holiday season approaches to those who remain at Booz Allen Hamilton, I say BAH!

Sr Consultant/ cyber Security Engineer

Former Employee - Information Assurance Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Information Assurance Engineer in Charleston, SC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Great benefits. if you're proted you get an extra weeks vacation.

Cons

Salaried & expected to work over 40 hours a week without extra pay, but cuts your pay if you're under hours.Hard workers arent always recognized.

Think of employees more instead of managements own advancement.

Booz Allen Hamilton, shame on you.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

At this moment, I cannot think of one positive thing about the company, except that perhaps among the few long term employees left in the company, there are a handful that are a cut above the rest, they actually do follow the "culture" and are all about integrity. Integrity is a word they like to throw out there as often as possible, but it seems that 90% of the employees are clueless about what integrity is or plainly just do not care.

Cons

They have let go of thousands of life long employees just so they can be replaced with cheaper, less qualified versions if replaced at all. People who have dedicated 30 years to the company are just discarded like trash without even thinking of the sacrifices, countless sleepless nights to meet deadlines, not spending time with your family because you were busy trying to make them money, health issues anywhere from back and neck problems, to high blood pressure, heart issues, stomach issues, mental problems, depression, you name it. But all in all, they all remained loyal and all it got them was a shove out the door as they said we really appreciate all you have done, but... The big BUT is people don't matter, the bottom dollar does.

Go private again. You realized you made a mistake at going public many moons ago and went private, which I'm sure cost a pretty penny and here you are repeating the same stupid mistake and hard working individuals are paying the price. Take a good look at who the managers are and if they really deserve to be there. I have seen a lot of good managers let go because of $$. You need to understand that just because manager X is making less than manager Y, does not mean you will save money by keeping manager X. Manager X will cost you more $$ in the long run with employees quitting or missed deadlines and lack of motivation and drive from their team members If you want to save money, take some of the fat from the top so you can afford to keep quality and loyal employees that give it their all and then some. Some higher ups can live with making 25k to 50k a year. Also, give back the benefits you have cut. The way things are going, sooner than later employees are going to have to start paying the company if they want to keep their job.

Great resume builder

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depth and breadth of experience
    Strong introduction to business world
    Helps you learn your strengths and weaknesses
    Make your own path to leadership and management positions

Cons

Must be into sales and contract negotiations if you want to survive and move up in the firm.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos