Booz Allen Hamilton

3.4 2,039 reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

(1,249 ratings)

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support(in 281 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters(in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance(in 102 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels(in 43 reviews)

2,039 Employee Reviews

Challenging environment, but not consistent workload.

ProsNot much management oversight. Able to work autonomously in a professional environment.

ConsBeing disconnected from the majority of the Booz Allen group sitting on client site. Very little paid time off.

Used to be a good company, from what senior folks have told me

ProsBench. I got to participate in some pilot training courses.

ConsI get pulled in to only sit on a bench and do marketing work (IRAD), then get told to look for work (billable) -- thinking I thought I had a job. My bench buddies then start getting LOW's (Lack of Work) letters and everyone becomes desperate to take anything billable. I took a lame billable position and realize 'kids' are promoted to leadership, who have no business being team leads, which eventual results in turnover of unhappy team members. I reported my leads behavior to only be brushed under the table. Bad timing for me as the company seemed to be in a contract losing streak. Used to be a good company, from what senior folks have told me.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake junior leadership more accountable. Provide them actual training on leadership, not a lame CBT.

Great managers

Associate (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsGreat tuition assistance, front line management really heard my voice and pushed for me, whether it was on a project or I needed something internally from corporate. It was very mom-friendly/family friendly, and I enjoyed attending diversity organization events and company efforts for community causes. Management really wants you to be happy and champions your requests.

ConsA lot of unpaid overtime for company/personal-related administrative tasks that must be completed. As a billable employee you always have to make sure you hit your numbers. Can be pretty stressful, especially if you have administrative duties on a project which you cannot bill to the client.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate the "why" of initiatives to the workforce.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible experience. Stay away

ProsThe benefits are good. Good 401k match. Good opportunities for training. They have all the hiring, administrative and other processes of a large company down to a science.

ConsAbsolutely no work/life balance. The expectation is to work 12-14 hour days. It is all about unrealistic deadlines and pleasing the client at any cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be upfront about what you are hiring folks for so that they don't get disgusted quickly and leave.

On the decline to mediocrity

ProsStill has a good name.

ConsCompany has an identity crisis, is slow to adapt to changing markets, and is often more beauracratic than the Federal government.

Advice to Senior ManagementNight of 1000 knives.

"Sweatshop"

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsBooz Allen does have lots of contracts that you can transfer too

ConsThe corporate structure is built around working hard with little incentive for the said effort. If you have a bad Career Manager, your career with Booz Allen is stunted

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into smaller companies. They may not have as many contracts, but they will appreciate you for the work you do and do the best they can to keep you with them. Also, they have lower overhead and can pay far more that a company like Booz Allen.

Where the going gets tough and the tough get promoted

Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat teams, challenging assignments, great benefits, great salaries

ConsVery demanding clients, challenges of government/military clients

BAH Atlanta Office

Associate (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWell known, prestigious consulting company. Work-life balance is pretty good. Name still resonates with people.

ConsOffice culture can be back stabbing and petty. Still relying on name and charging clients accordingly. Atlanta office has limited opportunities for growth compared with Washington, DC offices. Compensation is average for the industry, below competitors such as Deloitte, PwC, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro-managing and let smart people work smartly.

My experience with the firm has been challenging and rewarding.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe firm offers great training and educational opportunities.

ConsThe challenges are the firm expects its employees to bill its clients 40 plus hours a week, yet in order to succeed within the firm employees are expected to work an additional 20 hours a week for the firm which can often be challenging if you have a demanding client schedule. In order to succeed you must be connected to your groups inner circle.

Never be associated

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSelf training opportunities available to enhance development

ConsOverworked and dumped easily after completing project

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!