Booz Allen Hamilton

2,185 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,321 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 294 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 112 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting work but remote locations.

Former Employee - Intern in Aberdeen, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Aberdeen, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

cool work and projects. Friendly people. Good work life balance, great for settling down with kids

Cons

cant discuss work like other jobs I've had in the past. Not great for young college graduates who want fun active lifestyles

not enough to attract young innovative types, very similar people hired

Diverse company with lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A wide variety of groups and projects to involve yourself in. Lots of flexibility in work location and schedule.

Cons

The Strategic Innovation Group can seem like it's struggling to find direction. Training hasn't quite been figured out for deep technical tracks.

Booz Allen From the Inside

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great collaborative culture with many tools at your disposal. Helpful colleagues with no fear of retaliation if you know what you are talking about.

Cons

Getting recognition if your management is not with you. Working lots of hours to get ahead. Very business based but they are trying to change that. Federal space is not what it once was an salaries are being squeezed.

Put your money where your mouth is. Pay technical SMEs to keep them without forcing them to develop business plans or spend too many hours on proposals or looking for proposals to participate in. Realign teams to help management focus on the people they lead. Make salaries of function of cost of living. Pay should be the same in Washington D.C. and San diego since cost of living is the same.

Great company to work with.

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture and mission are on point. Enjoyed working with them. The exposure and experience unbeatable

Cons

Not able to work with them for longer period of time

Great company,!! Needs minimal work to make it the best in the business.

Former Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

BAH offers great benefits, the opportunity to attend business related training, and their salaries are highly competitive with respect to their employees in the consulting business.

Cons

The cons of working for BAH are minimal. The primary area of concern is lack of dissemination of information (ie.communication) from upper management and lack of follow through with respect to holding others accountable for project completions.

Support and promote your employees who display loyalty to the company and value workplace ethics who also display a 'nose to the grindstone mentality' instead of promoting those who are simply good at talking about what they can or might do, but seldom put actions behind their words.

Disappointed given its reputation/image

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary and vacation package is generous.

Cons

Luck of the draw in terms of which team one is hired or move to. A bad boss means no promotion, no feedback, left in limbo at the client site, not protected against bullying/harassment by customer. In my case I was assigned what turned out to be a very dysfunctional organization that within the year had replaced its own senior management and treated its contractors like trash or worse (self included). My immediate supervisor, a nice competent man but worried about his own promotions/rise etc, did nothing to protect us at the site. His boss --my hiring boss-- was a complete a-- who was so full of himself that he had zero interest in his minions except for his few pets. But what particularly struck me as red flag, was how during a week's orientation, as we were being indoctrinated on the privileges of working for such an esteemed company, I noted (and raised a fair question) that it appeared the BAH's immense success was tied to its one sole customer, the US Govt. I asked is this was perhaps a risky model i.e. all eggs in one basket and what if this funding source dried up (this was asked circa 2009)? Wouldn't it be prudent to branch out a bit? Needless to say, my question/comment wasn't appreciated. This should have been another red flag.

Better management off campus i.e. at client site. Less fawning of (sole) client at the expense of one's own employees when the work site is beyond dysfunctional and yet the motto remains "the customer is always right."

Once-Prestigious Firm Now Slashing Benefits

Current Employee - Lead Technologist/Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Technologist/Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The firm has built a good reputation over its many years of existence. For my market, people at the Principal level and below are good, upstanding. Meeting with your manager is usually license for a free lunch (at least in my management chain). Quarterly management meetings are a restaurant have been fun and good for network. The firm really came through and covered client-side people during the government shutdown in Fall 2013. The firm finally offers a career map for technologists and engineers, although it remains to be seen whether that will increase upward mobility. Internal social network is active and informative.

Cons

Benefits are being slashed on annual basis:
    - The retirement contribution, which was above average (10% of pay, but vested) when I joined, is at or below average now (6% of pay with 100% vesting at SIX YEARS).
    - The 2015 health insurance choices have been unveiled and they are OUTRAGEOUSLY BAD. The lowest plan is far worse (higher premium, higher OOP max, higher deductible) than the cheapest (and only) high-deductible plan last year. The only Aetna plans left are high-deductible, and the deductibles are way too high when compared to the premiums.) Pharmacy benefits also are subject to the same deductible now. I'm curious how many people the firm will lose over this.

There is an expectation that you make up non-billable hours (e.g. firm-mandatory training). You are expected to do an annual self-review, even though it's not required and you can't charge it. (None of this is particularly new.)

Lead associates and senior associates get overworked. They (especially lead associates) are expected to do management basically for free after putting in a full week being billable to the client.

You used to be able to count on job security at a big firm, but that is no longer the case. The lack-of-work notice comes as soon as you end your work on a contract and you have precious little time to find a new position before being shown the door. What is the point of working for such a large firm?

Sick time included in paid time off (which is four weeks for new Associates).

Attrition seems to be high.

Beef up your benefits before you lose all your top talent to better (especially smaller) companies.

Fun and Enjoyable Time

Former Employee - Software Developer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, working remotely,

Cons

Small fish big pond kind of thing

Promote smaller teams

Awesome group of people!

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

The people that work at Booz Allen Hamilton are very willing to help you, and provide you with meaningful work to benefit your resume. Very great place to Intern!

Cons

It's very important to know someone to get an internship there, I knew very few interns who got in without a connection.

Keep up the good work!

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture and people and the perks we get are great.

Cons

Sometime we need upper management to listen

N/A