Booz Allen Hamilton

2,135 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,294 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 283 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance (in 103 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

After two years, I still like my job!

Current Employee - Associate  in  Aberdeen, MD
    Current Employee - Associate in Aberdeen, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

BAH encourages their employees to learn and to work with others to complete projects. One of the big pushes is networking. We have meetings, lunches, discussions and presentations available on a regular basis to help network, meet other employees, and/or learn more on a topic or a BAH offering.

Cons

Working on proposals for new work or to continue current work can be time heavy and exhausting. I've worked multiple weeks of 12-14+ hour days on this type of work.

Acknowledge a broader spectrum of employees for projects. It seems that many people do the work for the success, but the same few get noticed all the time.

Young talent

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Growth opportunities if you actively seek them out and keep that in mind when projects are being offered.

Cons

Low compensation, and not much focus on retaining and developing young talent.

Focus more on retaining young talent and not just throwing people into projects just so they are billable.

Learned a lot about life and business (aside from IT Consulting)

Former Employee - Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very prestigious company with (formerly) incredible benefits. Opportunity to learn a lot about life and business through osmosis alone.

Cons

Bought by Carlyle in '08 (private equity firm), as well as its adaptation to current economic times, is starting to make BAH just another firm.

Try to get BAH back to its roots pre-Carlyle (as much as feasible in these times). Find a way to keep talent around during challenging times.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

People seem to be impressed if you have worked there; that is probably the best thing this company has to offer.

Former Employee - Management Consulting Senior Consultant  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Management Consulting Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

People recognize the company as being a top tier consulting firm. Many different opportunities and the firm does help the transition from one project to the next.

Cons

Essentially employees are highly paid interns. The opportunities for promotion and merit raises are minimal and the company experience depends tremendously on the individual team and the client.

A lot of expertise and talent is wasted on low level positions that don't allow for opportunities to shine.

Was there for 11 years, left, returned and happily gone again

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for less than a year

Pros

From mid 90's to mid 2000s great firm. Loved it, learned alot, my partner was very good. Returned for an assignment in 2012 and good grief, so much had changed!

Cons

Classic Beltway bandit. You are just a drone in a roll. I was expected to treat my staff so differently than we had previously. I had had several offers at play and jumped ship as quickly as possible.

No words can describe how disappointed I was in how leadership attitudes had changed.

Working for Booz is like driving a BMW

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for Booz is like driving a BMW. You love to drive the car while the warranty is active. Once the warranty ends, it turns out it is not the fine tuned machine it claims to be. I worked for Booz for 2 years and the pay and benefits were great, but once the contract ended, they don't really help you find another task.

Cons

Booz is not a consulting firm. You are hired to fill one seat in a specific contract. Once the contract ends, good luck finding a new task. They have "career managers" that suppose to help you find another position, but they are only concerned with their own job security. My advice if you are contemplating joining the firm, accept the job on Monday and start to look for a more stable job on Tuesday. If something else comes up, take it even if you incur a pay cut.

Your so called leadership is a joke. This is mind boggling considering that the firm employs a large number of ex-military personnel.

OK for post military

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

great salary, good hours (if on client site)

Cons

Ceiling limit on promotions, not rewarding

Go back to your consulting roots, otherwise the company becomes a contractor farm.

Too many mid-level mangers, can't compete in austere fiscal climate, keeps "dead-weight"

Former Employee - Senior Defense Research Analyst  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Defense Research Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good reputation and past performance gains respect of clients

Cons

When I was hired by Booz Allen (in a position I found) I was told that Booz Allen hires the person, not just for the contract. When my position was migrated to another company, Booz Allen did little to nothing to retain me even though I was more qualified than people working in other positions. They are more interested in keeping people billable than they are in providing the best value and qualified people for the client. Definitely has the perception of favoritism.

Booz Allen is also top heavy which drives up cost and weakens ability too compete.

Keep your talented, most qualified people and replace those who do not have skill sets for today's market who are piled on to contracts just so they can be billable

Great Company

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Great place to start and learn consulting from the ground up.

Cons

The internal staffing is tuff.

Invest in your staff and loose the strict billable rules.

Used to be great but has been going downhill since went public

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are fantastic, a lot of room to grow within the company, very committed to its core values and to its clients

Cons

Work-life balance leaves much to be desired; no longer feel as if company values its employees as much as they did when they were a private company

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!