Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

2,197 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,329 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 294 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 112 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Computer Technician.

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and perks. Plenty of opportunity to move up. Excellent "mentoring" system to help you along your career path.

Cons

Make sure you always have billable hours coming in. If your contract ends and they can't find another spot for you, you will be let go. Peer review system is a big hassle.

Changing Environment

Current Employee - Staff Technologist in California, MD
    Current Employee - Staff Technologist in California, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Booz Allen is a good company to start your career out at. They great job mobility program and encourage their employees reach their educational goals. There is collaboration across teams to get things done and make Booz Allen and one voice.

Cons

Constant change in the company makes it hard to get use to how we are suppose to operate. It seems as if the company has shifted it focus from it employees to its stakeholders, since it went public, which has made it less desirable to work for.

Downhill since Carlyle acquisition.

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, name still considered 'prestigious' in the market.

Cons

Benefits cut (medical slashed in 2015, ECAP gone), training hours have to be made up/paid back, promotion opportunities cut.

Your line of business is selling human capital to clients. Since the IPO and takeover by the Carlyle group, benefits have been cut - ECAP eliminated, training cut, all staff at 100% direct labor, no time or money for innovation (you may claim otherwise, making me work extra to work on projects that benefit the firm is bs). Cutting benefits and training pushes your best and most valuable workers to competitors or government jobs. Following low budget competitors like LM, SAIC, and Ledios in a 'race to the bottom' will only hurt the firm long term. The firm has completely changed from the past - it used to be the employer of choice for high end consulting. Not any more.

Once-Prestigious Firm Now Slashing Benefits

Current Employee - Lead Technologist/Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Technologist/Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The firm has built a good reputation over its many years of existence. For my market, people at the Principal level and below are good, upstanding. Meeting with your manager is usually license for a free lunch (at least in my management chain). Quarterly management meetings are a restaurant have been fun and good for network. The firm really came through and covered client-side people during the government shutdown in Fall 2013. The firm finally offers a career map for technologists and engineers, although it remains to be seen whether that will increase upward mobility. Internal social network is active and informative.

Cons

Benefits are being slashed on annual basis:
    - The retirement contribution, which was above average (10% of pay, but vested) when I joined, is at or below average now (6% of pay with 100% vesting at SIX YEARS).
    - The 2015 health insurance choices have been unveiled and they are OUTRAGEOUSLY BAD. The lowest plan is far worse (higher premium, higher OOP max, higher deductible) than the cheapest (and only) high-deductible plan last year. The only Aetna plans left are high-deductible, and the deductibles are way too high when compared to the premiums.) Pharmacy benefits also are subject to the same deductible now. I'm curious how many people the firm will lose over this.

There is an expectation that you make up non-billable hours (e.g. firm-mandatory training). You are expected to do an annual self-review, even though it's not required and you can't charge it. (None of this is particularly new.)

Lead associates and senior associates get overworked. They (especially lead associates) are expected to do management basically for free after putting in a full week being billable to the client.

You used to be able to count on job security at a big firm, but that is no longer the case. The lack-of-work notice comes as soon as you end your work on a contract and you have precious little time to find a new position before being shown the door. What is the point of working for such a large firm?

Sick time included in paid time off (which is four weeks for new Associates).

Attrition seems to be high.

Beef up your benefits before you lose all your top talent to better (especially smaller) companies.

Diverse company with lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A wide variety of groups and projects to involve yourself in. Lots of flexibility in work location and schedule.

Cons

The Strategic Innovation Group can seem like it's struggling to find direction. Training hasn't quite been figured out for deep technical tracks.

Well organized and managed.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Great benefits, training opportunities, and time-off policies. Very diverse!

Cons

Big business in a small-business world.

A firm that treats it's employees like people and not numbers on a spreadsheet

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Still considered to be "new" with the firm having been here only two years, however they have been a good two years. The managers I have been in contact with care about their staff and work to make sure you feel valued in the organization. In my two years I have worked with three separate clients making work always interesting with changing scenery. The benefits are better than what I was getting with my previous employer. Some other reviews might talk about how the firm isn't what it used to be, but being new I don't have a negative outlook on how the firm is changing. There are lots of opportunities to learn new skills and to enhance the skills you already have. They offer an annual training budget you can use for certifications or other professional courses.

Cons

In the two years i have worked here I have worked for three separate clients. Although this keeps the work interesting and new, it is also a little concerning at the end of each contract to see where you will be placed or if you will be laid off. I spend a couple months not working at a client site when my contract expired but the firm kept me on and got me placed with a new client.

Interesting work but remote locations.

Former Employee - Intern in Aberdeen, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Aberdeen, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

cool work and projects. Friendly people. Good work life balance, great for settling down with kids

Cons

cant discuss work like other jobs I've had in the past. Not great for young college graduates who want fun active lifestyles

not enough to attract young innovative types, very similar people hired

Smart People, but an Erosion of Culture and Benefits

Current Employee - Lead Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The firm has a lot of very smart people, and is very friendly to scientists and veterans. They have a large footprint across the federal government, so there are a good number of opportunities. The firm seems to do a better job of weathering events like the government shutdown than their peers (SAIC, BAE, etc...). There is a decent level of stability given the industry.

There are high ethical standards, a focus on quality work, and opportunities to advance.

Cons

Since the Carlyle buyout and the IPO, there has been a series of cost cutting efforts that seem to focus on improving the P&L in time for each quarterly earnings announcement. Over the last few years, we've had:

* a (poorly executed) move to hoteling that killed any sense of team cohesion.
    * reduction in the 401(k) (Actually, the previous program was a 10% profit share, now it is a 6% match that only pays out if you are still employed at the firm at the end of the year)
    * Reduction in health insurance (a switch to high-deductible plans)
    * Watering down the 360 degree assessment process to one that amounts to little more than a checklist.
    *(They even got rid of all plants in the offices as a way to save money)

Every couple of years, management tries to dramatically shift the organization with the promise that This Time Is Different. There have been switches back and forth between functional and market aligned structures. There was the One Firm push to integrate the commercial and government businesses ("we are one firm, we can work together"), followed by the split of the two halves ("we were really two separate businesses, with different models and cultures"), and the attempt to recreate a commercial business ("This time will be different").

When I started, the firm's culture, reputation as a premium brand, and benefits were the big draws. I don't think any of them are particularly notable anymore.

Over the last year there have been a bunch of efforts that are hard to look at with an unjaded eye -- the "Ed talks" are the firm's take on Ted talks (having a senior vice president give a speech while walking around on a stage really doesn't capture the whole Ted experience); knock-offs of Shark Tank, and superficial talk of innovation fill our email boxes along with videos of our new president's "Connect Tour." Some employees are paid to try and build excitement on Yammer. A lot of effort goes into what one might call "influence operations" to convince employees that management is on their side.

Look back to the basics that made the firm great. It probably isn't possible to undo the cost savings you've already imposed since the IPO, but you can staunch the bleeding.

You've managed to erode the corporate culture through hoteling and a watered down assessment process. The email campaign about the new health care plans was tone deaf.

We've got to rebuild the culture. Give Principals more autonomy. Figure out a way to get teams working in the same place.

Perhaps the only thing you could do to hurt morale and team culture more than you have would be to move to open office plans. You made a mistake with hoteling -- don't amplify it.

Booz Allen From the Inside

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great collaborative culture with many tools at your disposal. Helpful colleagues with no fear of retaliation if you know what you are talking about.

Cons

Getting recognition if your management is not with you. Working lots of hours to get ahead. Very business based but they are trying to change that. Federal space is not what it once was an salaries are being squeezed.

Put your money where your mouth is. Pay technical SMEs to keep them without forcing them to develop business plans or spend too many hours on proposals or looking for proposals to participate in. Realign teams to help management focus on the people they lead. Make salaries of function of cost of living. Pay should be the same in Washington D.C. and San diego since cost of living is the same.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos