Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Reset

2,634 Employee Reviews

1. Great company with some minor issues

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Great company and internal support for training and team support

Cons

Low raises even if you work your butt off.

Advice to Management

Recognize talented staff

Overall a good company to work for

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wide variety of work, tasks and clients (in the DC area, anyway...other geographies are more limited). High caliber of employees, colleagues and teammates. Supportive team environment. Fosters individual growth and development. Good benefits. Ethical, value-oriented, supportive organizational culture. Mentoring is promoted and valued. There are opportunities to work abroad. The firm is very supportive to employees who have to relocate due to military family moves or other reasons employees have to relocate. While they can't guarantee they will have a position for you in your new location, they have an entire team dedicated to helping you find a new position and make every effort to do so. Great access to upper and senior management, including Partners.

Cons

When I first started 10 years ago, the firm had separate vacation and sick leave banks, and the sick leave was UNLIMITED (yes, you read that correctly). They then switched to one bank of Paid Time Off (PTO) to use for sick time and vacation, so you are basically penalized by draining any potential vacation time you have if God forbid you get really sick and have to use up all your PTO due to illness. On top of that, the amount of PTO time is not very generous and is accrued based on your career level and years of service. So, if you are an entry level consultant and just starting out, forget about earning much vacation time until you have a few years under your belt and promote to higher levels. The firm also promotes a work-life balance, but in my experience this varies by individual team, and I've seen little work-life balance demonstrated.

3. Good Benefits

Pros

they have really good benefits

Cons

The commute can be really difficult

5. Great opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

Pros

Great place to work, a lot of career mobility and great benefits.

Cons

Internal training requirements. Long hours.None

Hierarchical Organization

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is well-established and respected, so having it on your resume can look good. If you fit in with the team you are on, it can be a good environment, with your managers seeking out positions for you and helping you move ahead.

Cons

The company has become even more hierarchical and autocratic than it was when I joined 8 years ago. It has changed significantly from when it was a private firm. In addition, the government client is no longer the easy "cash cow" it was traditionally. It is trying to maintain the image of itself being a thought-leader, but generally we have become a "seat in chair" operation -- contractors rather than consultants. New grads and inexperienced employees make the company more profitable. Some teams feel like "sororities" rather than a professional team.

Advice to Management

Determine the direction you want to go in and do a better job of informing your people about it. Stop being so hierarchical, and stop rewarding ruthlessness.

7. Management Consultanr

Pros

They are very good in working with clients. The clearance in the government is great. You are able to get help from everyone, once you are there and treat you like you've been there forever.

Cons

Long hours, very stressful deadlines from companies requirements, not very good advancement set-up in your career. Pay increase isn't comparable to other consulting firms

8. Great Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mc Lean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mc Lean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as graduate intern for over a year on two different teams. I was given meaningful assignments and valuable work experience. I left and went to the Federal government for many years and I now see I am better suited as a Consultant. I would not have known that if I did not have that great BAH foundation.

Cons

I worked there over 5 years ago. Perhaps the intern department should keep up with the students to see what they are up to, perhaps they may be able to recruit some new talent.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow open communication with the employees that you hire.

9. Contract job overseas

Former Employee - Security Oversight Specialist in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Security Oversight Specialist in Dayton, OH

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of people that truly care about your success in the company and at your job.

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of.

Good company but benefits have greatly declined

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Opportunity for upward and lateral movement, opportunities for career development, good work-life balance once you've established yourself

Cons

Health care plan is now a high deductible plan, a once great 401K plan was done away with, difficult to find office space with hoteling system, opportunities to advance to senior associate vary greatly from team to team (situation dependent)

11. Not a bad place

Pros

I wasn't here for long enough to comment, but I was allowed to work remote at least 3 days a week.

Cons

The pay was not best in industry for the workload.

Advice to Management

None

Showing 2,634 of 2,683 reviews