Booz Allen Hamilton

2,156 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,305 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 292 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 101 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 111 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, long history

Current Employee - Lead Associate  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

May not be the marquee name it was a few years ago, but very solid company, especially for veterans entering the workforce

Cons

Upcoming change in top leadership may cause unexpected changes in culture/benefits.

Great Shop

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people
    Results driven approach
    Lots of projects to choose from

Cons

Big company so need to stay close to a team

Takes care of employees even in harshest economic times

Former Employee - Associate  in  Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Associate in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company trusted me to perform on a client-facing contract the way I saw fit. There was a lot of flexibility, so long as I remembered that my role was as a consultant for the firm and not an employee for the contracting entity.

The local office offered many opportunities to network within the firm after contracted work hours.

During the government shutdown, BAH found creative and fair ways of holding onto a large majority of its employees.

I was able to participate in the interview process for manning a new contract.

Cons

In my particular case, I felt that first and second levels of management failed to correct bad feelings between two separate, but closely related, clients, leaving me as the fall guy in the middle. I expect more from the retired military Colonels and General Officers who hold these management positions.

In order to advance after the first year or two, one must be involved in getting new business or expanding current business. Management ignored the four new business and one expanded business ideas I floated.

I encourage Senior Associates and Principals to get to know the skills, talents and desires of their Consultants and Associates so they can better match them to the current and future needs of the company.

Show interest in self-motivated Associates who show initiative. Walk them through the processes of creating new business for the firm.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Team Matters!

Current Employee - Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Overall, my experience at Booz Allen has been good. That said, I'm on a really good team with Senior Leadership who supports my career goals. It is however important to note that getting promoted at Booz Allen can be a long process. Due to the fact most of Senior Leadership is retired military, promotions at Booz Allen have a tenancy to be based on tenure and not necessarily merit.

Cons

In general, Booz Allen is financially risk adverse. Thus, their not going to back (i.e.financially) an innovative out of the box idea if there's the slightest chance it'll fail and they can't recoup their initial investment. Furthermore, it's a very team oriented environment... you can luck out and get a great team that supports you or you can be unlucky and get a team that's steered by an individual just trying to save his/her job. It really is the luck of the draw! Also, I wouldn't count on a lot of teams working in harmony to reach a specific goal.

Scared money doesn't make money! Also, have faith in your staff no matter their age or years of experience. Be willing to take a small risk on them because it may payoff big in the long run!

Pleasant Experience

Current Employee - Associate  in  Eatontown, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate in Eatontown, NJ

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, availability of work, good structured company

Cons

Management seems to be too cut-throat and back-stabbing

Pay more attention to your employees job satisfaction. They are just as important as the clients satisfaction in the employees job performance.

Best company I have worked for among the five governement contract companies I have been employed by.

Former Employee - Military Analyst  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Military Analyst in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A very professional and caring atmosphere driven towards mission accomplishment and a happy client employee relationship. Work toward a collaborative future as a team, made me feel at home. Challenging work and very fare compensation and an excellent benefits package, the best I have been a part of to date.

Cons

I have little negative to say about the company. I was in a unique situation which didn't help me out. Both of my first line leaders left the firm and as a lone on-client-site employee I got lost by the next level of leadership who really didn't know me or what I was doing.

Care and Communicate

Tremendous amount of opportunity and professional growth

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Booz offers flexible work schedules. The client's we support have extremely exciting missions where Booz Allen staff are able to provide real impact. Leadership cares about their staff and continuously provides opportunities for growth

Cons

The firm communications are definitely lacking. The rumor mill far outpaces the corporate communications, and when those communications come out, they are not in tune with the staff. Corporate policies can inhibit agility to response to unique client challenges

Awesome company to work for!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Fort Knox, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Fort Knox, KY

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leadership is very professional and understanding

Cons

none to speak of; enjoyed my time with the company

no real advice

Great employer for the most part

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is very apparent that BAH genuinely cares for its employees. It goes out of its way to find work for its people when contracts dry up, maximizing the talents of its personnel to ensure they have valuable, meaningful work. The leadership at the top at the regional office I work are very impressive, with the middle managers just below them a mixed bag as far as leadership ability. Still, there is no doubt that they care deeply for the employees.

There are opportunities to move around the company, and the opportunities are worldwide. If you don't like it where you're at and you have some mobility, this is an excellent company to work for!

The large majority of folks I've worked with are very intelligent, which is refreshing when working in an environment surrounded by entitled government employees.

Cons

The move to being publicly traded has come with some trade-offs when it comes to benefits. Read: "Take care of the investors before the employees" (loss of employee perks and benefits in some cases). Salaries and programs such as education reimbursement have severely been cut.

I have witnessed a lack of diversity when it comes to overall management and the allocation of promotions, though I think this is more perception than reality. As one lower-level employee put it, "It's hard to get promoted unless you're part of the 'old white men's club'." To its credit, I think the management at the regional office I work at has noticed this, though any action to remedy the perception and/or the numbers hasn't occured.

If you are at a regional office or "hoteling", good luck feeling like you're part of the big show in the DC area. If the DC set doesn't suit you, though, you'll enjoy being away from that flagpole. BAH has a lot of great locations to work at, so happy hunting.

So far...so good!

Current Employee - Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great on-boarding experience from the initial recruiter contact to the orientation course!

Cons

None yet! I am curious to see how the raise process works since the appraisal period changed after I joined the company. My annual anniversary date yielded a 1% raise, but I have been told that I MAY be considered for a further raise during the formal cycle in January...fingers crossed.

No explanation or discussion with my line of management of the 1% raise I received on my anniversary date. It would be nice to have it explained, e.g. why 1%, any further considerations or things I need to to, etc.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!