Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
2377 reviews filtered by

1. Electro-Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love supporting the Military

Cons

How to figuer out about Getting there to work

2. A great place to work with lots of room to move around

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Richmond, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Telework options and a strong support network

Cons

When at the office the dress code is far too proper

Ease up on the review process

3. Internship Experience in DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

I got the opportunity to control the amount of work I received while working with other full-time employees. I was ambitious so I loaded my plate with quite a lot, but I was able to meet the required deadlines. I was checked on by my career manager to make sure I was headed int he right direction in order for me to have a successful internship experience. After a while, once I acclimated to the my new environment my career manager took more of a hands off approach. To clarify, when I mean "checked on", she asked if I had any questions and just seeing how things were going. They don't want you to fail. The firm has a ton of networking/social events for you to connect with other interns and upper level employees. These events are paid for in full, so no out of the pocket cost. Also, at theses events you are able to get an idea of the other areas of business Booz Allen is involved. You can possibly leverage these relationships and work in an area of the firm that you are more interested in. You are given challenging work that and they treat you as though you are a full-time employee not as a typical intern. The best thing you can do is to always ask question if you don't understand something and they are more than willing to assist you.

Cons

You may have to take some work home with you dependent on who you decided to work with. I had the option of not completing the deliverable the next working day, but I was working with someone who had high expectations and who barely slept. I didn't want to let him down. I had the opportunity of working on an amazing team so I don't have any other cons except the first one.

N/A

Once Great, Now Declining

Current Employee - Associate in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Work-life flexibility, talented colleagues, big and resilient, variance of work, secure employment. Booz Allen is a large and established consulting firm, where it's easy to work there for your whole career if you chose to. Environment is energetic and smart, and the company is big enough that it's easy to find new work and/or new clients while retaining your current position.

Cons

For the past 5 years, Booz Allen has been focused more on shareholders and bottom line than on employees and clients. Our emails from upper management tout increasing profits despite declining revenue - like it's a good thing. It is a good thing, for the shareholders, but the slashing that's taken place to make it possible have all directly affected the employees.

First came small and pretty inconsequential changes - no more biannual laptop upgrades, then our first big change: from everyone having their own office to "hoteling," where each employee reserves an office each day and checks into and out of it like a hotel room. This allowed Booz Allen (BAH) to eliminate empty offices (employees who were on client sites always or almost always) and consolidate employees. A reasonable change, and understandable.

Next came compensation changes we were told that our compensation actions (read: raises) were to no longer be tied solely to performance, but rather a host of new criteria, one of which was "bid-ability on contracts," meaning "will your salary make it easy or hard to bid you on contracts?" Of course, proposals compete largely on cost, so it's always easier to bid a cheaper employee on a proposal, so this gave leadership a way to freeze salaries or give paltry or in some cases insulting raises with a black and white justification, and the deniability of "it came from upstairs." Lots of talented employees jumped ship at this stage, because raises are the #1 tangible retention tool, and many took these paltry raises as writing on the wall that they were no longer appreciated at BAH.

More recently, BAH is selling real estate - closing offices. That's a magic trick that can prop up the bottom line, but you can only use that trick once.

The most recent change has been to our benefits - in short, more expensive healthcare with high deductibles. For example, my plan cost increases $150 a month, and my deductible went from $0 to $2600. Healthcare will cost me $4400 more this year than it did last year; or if I got a $4400 raise, that would put me at zero.

Booz Allen used to be a high line product at a high line price. We used to be able to command a high price - from clients who wanted more than simply getting the job done, they wanted it done well - and thoroughly, by the brightest and best. Clients would choose Booz Allen for the same reason someone might choose a Mercedes-Benz over a Toyota. In our recent years, this race to the bottom of how cheap we can possibly make operations, how little can we pay our staff, has caused a loss of top talent, and hiring just-good talent as opposed to the sharpest and most impressive applicants. I'm imagining management wanted to cut operating costs, but retain the Firm's reputation - that's just not possible. They got their wish - they made the Firm cheaper. We're just another contracting firm now - a glorified staffing agency.

I don't believe it's possible to reclaim our former reputation - not in 10 years, not in 20 - I believe it's gone. I suppose the only move now is to abandon the high-line-product, high-line-price model of yore and just get down with the rest of them and try to bid cheap.

6. Team oriented, innovative, flexible company

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on a variety of tasks with highly qualified members of different functional teams. Great benefits, maternity leave and 401k and training opportunities beat most companies. Most positions offer some flexibly in schedule; however, this is typically based on the client and contract.

Cons

Managers are very busy doing marketing and proposal work. Employees need to think like an entrepreneur to get ahead. This is a pro for growing and sustaining business but junior staff sometimes feel does make sense and from what I recall, mapping billets to functions was the logical next step. lost. I recommend that new staff find a couple mentors to help learn the culture and navigate the firm. Be assertive to take advantage of career development opportunities or shift to another team, don't wait for management to do these things for you.

Increase investment in the networking events like speed networking, brown bags and happy hours that build relationships across teams. Those relationships are what sets the firm apart from other defense contractors.

Quite Satisfied, but it all depends on your group

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

My group supports a great work-life balance, which is important to me because I have two young kids. My salary is competitive and above average for my Associate level, and my client is fantastic, so I am very lucky there. Benefits are competitive, including a little-known $2500 for each employee each year to seek out certifications, which is on top of tuition reimbursement. Booz Allen is widely known to have a great reputation. You keep your client happy, and Booz Allen is happy, and so far that has come back around full circle in compensation to me.

Cons

Like any large corporate engine, it can take a lot to get things, especially more expensive things, accomplished. But, that being said, if it's reasonable, it benefits the client, and there is a budget for it, it just needs to be justified adequately and the Firm will typically support it.

Keep rewarding top performers. Money is the number one motivator!

3.5 years, at least I got a clearance

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

recognition, lots of contracts, stability during shutdown

Cons

snooty, cut throat, apathetic leadership

9. Great culture

Former Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people at Booz Allen are great, there's an emphasis on career/professional development, and the firm has high ethical standards

Cons

Mobility and diversity between assignments is very limited as you move up in the ranks

In today's constrained environment make full use of the things you can control - enabling consultants to gain wider exposure to various clients/types of assignments.

10. Booz Allen is a different company now.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Flexibility of schedule and work from home is nice.

Cons

No sense of community, feels like a 'butts in seat' sort of place. Salaries were once strong, clearly feels like they are making an effort to change that. The

Pay attention to the people below you; every manager is too focused on managing up. Change is health benefits will cost you dearly.

11. Booz Allen Hamilton has a great reputation from days gone by, but has not done much to earn it in the past few years.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

The firm offers many opportunities for growth, mobility, and continued learning. There is great networking to be had, and training experiences abound.

Cons

Since becoming a publicly traded company, Booz Allen has made it increasingly clear that they care for their shareholders, and not for their employees.

Management should make the effort to be more in touch with their employees. Booz Allen should offer more competitive salary rates and benefits, and try to retain their employees, rather than having high turnover.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos