Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

2385 reviews filtered by

8 years, finishing as a Senior Associate

Former Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Tight nit organization, as it became a public company it started to feel more like a defense contractor. Great overall benefits, especially if you stay there for 6 years. Still has much more of a consulting culture compared to other government contractors.

Cons

Now that is is a public company most of the focus and culture can make it feel like other defense contractors. Also company is not really relevant in the commercial market.

bring back the old ECAP plan, it was a big seller to staff.

2. Great Company, but the industry has changed it into more of a staffing agency.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Great benefits.
    Good People
    Does not even feel like I work for BAH.

Cons

There is no clear path for career progression.

Create a BAH culture

3. They treat you like family, great team, focused on training, and communication

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

I have been able to attend seminars that have given me so much knowledge

Cons

More technical and intel jobs than clinical

5. 8 Years of Great Employment

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large company with many opportunities throughout the world.

Cons

Reduction in benefits through the last two years. However; the benefits still exceed many similar companies.

Big name in the business

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well known business, many opportunities, growth. The flexibility that Booz Allen offers is extraordinary, one of the greatest benefits they have.

Cons

Huge company so at times one may feel like just a number. Not much training for new employees.

Management needs to a much better job in growing and mentoring their junior staff. Establish a more beneficial mentorship program like some of the other fortune 500's.

Great People

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent coworkers and staff; able to rely on the team to get work done

Cons

Lack of communication from leadership; below average compensation

A reduction in benefits over the past few years to satisfy stakeholders are decreasing employee morale.

8. Electro-Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love supporting the Military

Cons

How to figuer out about Getting there to work

9. A great place to work with lots of room to move around

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Richmond, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Telework options and a strong support network

Cons

When at the office the dress code is far too proper

Ease up on the review process

10. Internship Experience in DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

I got the opportunity to control the amount of work I received while working with other full-time employees. I was ambitious so I loaded my plate with quite a lot, but I was able to meet the required deadlines. I was checked on by my career manager to make sure I was headed int he right direction in order for me to have a successful internship experience. After a while, once I acclimated to the my new environment my career manager took more of a hands off approach. To clarify, when I mean "checked on", she asked if I had any questions and just seeing how things were going. They don't want you to fail. The firm has a ton of networking/social events for you to connect with other interns and upper level employees. These events are paid for in full, so no out of the pocket cost. Also, at theses events you are able to get an idea of the other areas of business Booz Allen is involved. You can possibly leverage these relationships and work in an area of the firm that you are more interested in. You are given challenging work that and they treat you as though you are a full-time employee not as a typical intern. The best thing you can do is to always ask question if you don't understand something and they are more than willing to assist you.

Cons

You may have to take some work home with you dependent on who you decided to work with. I had the option of not completing the deliverable the next working day, but I was working with someone who had high expectations and who barely slept. I didn't want to let him down. I had the opportunity of working on an amazing team so I don't have any other cons except the first one.

N/A

Once Great, Now Declining

Current Employee - Associate in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Work-life flexibility, talented colleagues, big and resilient, variance of work, secure employment. Booz Allen is a large and established consulting firm, where it's easy to work there for your whole career if you chose to. Environment is energetic and smart, and the company is big enough that it's easy to find new work and/or new clients while retaining your current position.

Cons

For the past 5 years, Booz Allen has been focused more on shareholders and bottom line than on employees and clients. Our emails from upper management tout increasing profits despite declining revenue - like it's a good thing. It is a good thing, for the shareholders, but the slashing that's taken place to make it possible have all directly affected the employees.

First came small and pretty inconsequential changes - no more biannual laptop upgrades, then our first big change: from everyone having their own office to "hoteling," where each employee reserves an office each day and checks into and out of it like a hotel room. This allowed Booz Allen (BAH) to eliminate empty offices (employees who were on client sites always or almost always) and consolidate employees. A reasonable change, and understandable.

Next came compensation changes we were told that our compensation actions (read: raises) were to no longer be tied solely to performance, but rather a host of new criteria, one of which was "bid-ability on contracts," meaning "will your salary make it easy or hard to bid you on contracts?" Of course, proposals compete largely on cost, so it's always easier to bid a cheaper employee on a proposal, so this gave leadership a way to freeze salaries or give paltry or in some cases insulting raises with a black and white justification, and the deniability of "it came from upstairs." Lots of talented employees jumped ship at this stage, because raises are the #1 tangible retention tool, and many took these paltry raises as writing on the wall that they were no longer appreciated at BAH.

More recently, BAH is selling real estate - closing offices. That's a magic trick that can prop up the bottom line, but you can only use that trick once.

The most recent change has been to our benefits - in short, more expensive healthcare with high deductibles. For example, my plan cost increases $150 a month, and my deductible went from $0 to $2600. Healthcare will cost me $4400 more this year than it did last year; or if I got a $4400 raise, that would put me at zero.

Booz Allen used to be a high line product at a high line price. We used to be able to command a high price - from clients who wanted more than simply getting the job done, they wanted it done well - and thoroughly, by the brightest and best. Clients would choose Booz Allen for the same reason someone might choose a Mercedes-Benz over a Toyota. In our recent years, this race to the bottom of how cheap we can possibly make operations, how little can we pay our staff, has caused a loss of top talent, and hiring just-good talent as opposed to the sharpest and most impressive applicants. I'm imagining management wanted to cut operating costs, but retain the Firm's reputation - that's just not possible. They got their wish - they made the Firm cheaper. We're just another contracting firm now - a glorified staffing agency.

I don't believe it's possible to reclaim our former reputation - not in 10 years, not in 20 - I believe it's gone. I suppose the only move now is to abandon the high-line-product, high-line-price model of yore and just get down with the rest of them and try to bid cheap.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos