Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
2413 reviews filtered by

1. Work with modern technologies and enjoy good work/life balance

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

You get to work with modern technologies, smart people and yet still get home for dinner and enjoy your weekends.

Cons

If you want to move up in the firm - above Associate - you need to focus most of your time on managing existing business and bringing in more business.

Advice to Management

Software developers today want to work on MacBooks, wear T-shirts, post their code to github and work flexible hours. Many don't want to manage the business and don't want to create decks. Find ways to fit them into government contracting.

Terrible culture. Terrible benefits. Failing Company.

Former Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the technical - developers, network security, data scientists: there is job security, and a bit of prestige that comes with the booz name in these positions.

Cons

Painfully inefficient. So much bureaucratic nonsense to deal with on a day to day basis. Company culture is non-existent. Very disorganized company with little vision of the future. Benefits and pay are very sub par.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to people - both newcomers and those who have been there a while. Focus on developing a company culture where people WANT to come to work.

Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and can telework as needed. Generally the people are very intelligent and you can rely on them to do their jobs.

Cons

Pay isn't all that great. They seem to be worsening the insurance and 401k offerings each year. Only way to get promoted is to become someone's go-to-person which will destroy any work/life balance. Politics play a huge role the higher you go.

5. Staff Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, good benefits, good values

Cons

Only able to work in certain location if it requires access to classified material etc...

Advice to Management

Listen to the workers and make sure you allow opportunities to transition into other fields to broaden our experiences.

6. lead assoicate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The upper level management is sound

Cons

Defense contracting provides little career security

Advice to Management

Restore post economic crash benefits.

Intelligence Analyst

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Mostly good people who want to help. And several opportunities to switch tracks.

Cons

Very military like structure and attitudes.

Decent Place to Build Career

Current Employee - Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started at Booz Allen Hamilton directly after undergrad. Was contacted by a recruiter who noticed my previous internships with defense contractors. Signed a contingent offer, got cleared during final semester in school, started right away.

Started off on a billable contract right away. Was offered little to no guidance but using common logic and networking skills I was able to grow my contacts, shadow IT and business development experts, and become familiar with the consulting model.

Depending on your contract the work can be extremely challenging. Staff come and go and only the strong survive in client-space. If you have a political/feudal government client - good luck. Know how to play the game. Work hard and look out for yourself, place your teammates in a position to succeed. Selfish individuals are immediately identified and not rewarded by management.

In my short tenure I made opportunities for myself by leading change and demonstrating exceptional delivery. I was rewarded with back-to-back promotions (Consultant -> Sr. Consultant -> Associate) in 2 years.

Firm training is decent but not advertised. You will determine how your career progresses. Non-existent hand-holding.

Cons

Benefits have noticeably decreased the past few years. 401k dropped from 10% employer contribution to 7.5% matching to 6% matching. Health insurance deductibles are in effect this year. Employees are unhappy and frustrated.

I have witnessed cases in which top talent were given LOW letters due to their contract funding being cut. Most employees sit around and twiddle their thumbs, banking their careers on their career managers. If the career manager is busy, on vacation, or simply not knowledgeable enough to find new billable work... it's bye bye for you. Keep in mind career managers have basic training and seminars they attend - but they aren't all-knowing. Network network network to put yourself in the best position to succeed and survive in this tough market.

The different account leaders are not collaborating at an effective level. Staff turnover can be prevented if home teams communicate with one another on horizontal staff transitions.

The firm is in danger of becoming another seat-filler corporation. I am lucky enough to be highly visible to management because of the excellent work I'm doing. But some of my teammates feel very alienated from leadership and are unaware of our business operations. Everyone is busy and I noticed the folks that complain are the ones who do not do anything about it. They are unwilling to work a single minute over 40 hours a week, refuse to attend company socials, and badmouth teammates that succeed. Management is performed at the micro level and it seems to be hit-or-miss depending on client and work location.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally with respect. Some employees are indeed underwhelming but think of ways to motivate them for success. Our accounts will grow and the cash flows will increase if your employees are happy.

LCAT rates and profitability are important, but when downward rate pressures are driving us to bid lower than imaginable... do NOT penalize hardworkers by not giving decent raises. It is inexcusable to maintain profitability by forcing employees to take pay cuts. You will lose. Your top performers will leave and take a bunch of teammates with them. Good luck trying to backfill - no one will join you even if you offer crap referral bonuses.

Motivate your employees. Do not try to talk down to them at mentorship events. For example, I was an entry level consultant stating to a principal that I wished to learn the BAH model and become a team lead within 3 years. I was laughed at by the principal, mocked in front of my peers and told to know my role and be "realistic". Reality check - some of us learn quickly. It is no longer the "stay for x number of years, seniority and loyalty will get you the promotion". Be professional, bring expertise that can't be replicated.. and you will be a rockstar. Do not let teammates and managers discourage you from pursuing your goals.

Consultants or Federal employees?

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is an abundance of talent, cultural diversity and a wide range of job opportunities.

Cons

Booz Allen is so deeply rooted in the Federal contracting market that often times consultants think and act as a Federal Employee instead of consultants.

Advice to Management

Cycle contractors around to different projects from time to time.

10. Instructional Designer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of different experiences. Some really talented people as co-workers.

Cons

No real work life balance.

Senior Consultant

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The workplace provided exposure to a great group of people and allowed me to build those relationships and learn from them on a regular basis. Additionally, most projects that I had exposure to provided a great work/life balance - specifically with flexibility around the hours I worked and working remotely.

Cons

Many of the firm's projects are centered on staff augmentation - maybe it is just the way the industry is heading but I found very few elements of "consulting" in my roles. When I expressed my interests and desires to find a new project I received minimal support from my admin team simply because I was billable and on a very stable project.

The firm's middle management seems to be in a hard position of balancing project management, business development, and human capital development. I found little to no career guidance during my time at the firm. To be fair, I knew other employees that had great career managers so it is very much based on your admin team.

The pay and benefits are behind the industry - the chatter around the office alluded to salaries much lower than what is reported on glassdoor.

Advice to Management

I would encourage senior management to continue to focus on engaging and developing employees - It seemed like the employees were a commodity. In addition to developing employees, veer away from too much staff augmentation engagements because it will only continue to dilute the value of Booz Allen's brand and reputation.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos