Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

2,413 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,459 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 283 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance (in 103 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to Build Your Consulting Career

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

BAH has all the benefits of a large consultancy (extensive in-house training, competitive salary, variety of industries). This allows junior staff to receive comprehensive training on the basics of management consulting as well as more advanced training on Project Management, Strategic Planning and industry specific certifications. Your personal growth is all dependant on how much you take charge of all the opportunities available to you.

Cons

It can be difficult at times to get onto projects that are not within your organizational team, resulting in difficulty gaining a diversity in project experience. Also, you must "own your brand" to be successful. This means networking, attending additional training outside of the required training classes and pitching yourself to senior colleagues to build your reputation as a great asset.

While the organization has gone through various changes (private-equity purchase, reorganization, scandal). The company has done a sufficient job to separate the brand from the negative press. It is going to be important to develop a comprehensive strategy to attract and retain new talent that will help the firm retain and gain a competitive edge in the marketplace.

Professional Firm

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Strategic Communications  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Strategic Communications in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Booz Allen Hamilton has a very great benefits package for all of their employees. They understand that personal situations happen and have a wonderful amount of flexibility for most of the work.

Cons

The firm is growing quickly and this is a positive sign, although that brings with it extra work to do. Nothing else that can be considered a 'con'.

None.

Federal powerhouse with plenty of opportunities.

Former Employee - Consultant  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Respected brand with plenty of agencies to support. You get to work with plenty of smart people who have a wide array of backgrounds.

Cons

Working with government agencies can be un-fulfilling at times, and Booz salaries aren't always the best, particularly for younger employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met so many interesting, skilled, and unique people at Booz. Everyone seemed like they really wanted to work there. I always felt welcome and valued as an employee and team member. Very professional environment to work in and I met a lot of people that I am still friends with outside of the company. It is a good work culture and very positive experience overall.

Cons

Office location created a long commute for me. Compensation was good, but advancement was somewhat challenging. When I chose to leave, I did not appreciate the tongue lashing I received from my boss's boss. My boss was amazing, but her boss was definitely a character.

Good Place Overall

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Work / Life balance up to Lead Associate
    Reasonable compensation
    Smart Colleagues

Cons

Work becoming less interesting, more contracting v. consulting

Focus on wining more consulting work in gov. and commercial

Good, until it ended abruptly ...

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Excellent management environment, up until the Federal Sequestration started... then my lead partner got laid off along with all the staffers...

Cons

Hard to tell now, since Booz Allen sold the business to PwC.

Incredible experience - Met talented, friendly, and great people. Flexible work hours, great life balance

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really enjoyed the people and experience as a whole - Pentagon was a cool place to work at. Both client and Booz co-workers were great. Hours can't be beat, was rarely asked to work a minute over 40 hours. Got 3 weeks vacation and 6% $ for $ 401k matching.

Cons

Money doesn't seem to be all that competitive anymore. Benefits in general took a massive hit since the company went public and are continuing to decline. Our CEO keeps sending mass emails saying how great the company is doing as the profit increases while our revenue decreases. I wonder how they are able to accomplish this...

Stop cutting basic benefits and salaries. Gotta draw the line between reasonable cost savings and completely losing the ability to hire talented employees. This only works short term until talented people begin to leave gradually.

Big company, great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work-life balance, leadership opportunities, number of projects to work on, number of locations across the nation (and internationally), various clients and types of work

Cons

Benefits are very average now, large variety of technical ability, inconsistent career management across teams/accounts/regions, lack of confidence in senior leadership

Invest in your people more. If you invest in your people - they will enjoy their experience which will allow recruiting and attracting top talent to happen organically.

Great company for top notch consulting skills

Former Employee - Associate  in  Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits, although they have changed are still great! You meet and have an opportunity to learn how to be the best. You will learn how to successfully manage client expectations and manage.

Cons

It can be somewhat challenging to get ahead, but with the right positioning and leadership that believes in you, you can achieve great success. Not necessarily a place you will retire from.

The assessment process is a joke and a waste of time.

Interesting work, weird organizaiton

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, extremely smart and competitive compensation. Leadership is top notch on my team.

Cons

Organization of the company is daunting at first - it does not have a traditional structure

Listen to employees desires about where they see themselves in a few years

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!