Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

2,642 Employee Reviews

1. Not the same Booz Allen from 5 years ago

Current Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Large network to reach out to -Great place to start a career

Cons

-401k contribution is smaller -Health care costs are larger -Just another defense contractor

Advice to Management

-stay connected with your consultants instead of reaching out to them when you need something. -connect with your clients -weed out the bad senior associates

2. A good place to start. Then get out.

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Booz Allen still attracts some of the smartest and hard-working people around. To a great extent, it is possible to shape your career if you are a tireless networker who keeps an ear open at all times for new opportunities. There's also a good amount of growth at the Consultant to Associate level, with the opportunity to gain managerial experience relatively quickly. After five years at the firm, I was managing a team. This is experience that would be very difficult to come by in government and other firms. The retirement match is one of the best in the contracting world with a 100% match up to 6% of salary. The BIG catch is that the company match is done only once per year, and if you are not an employee on December 31st, you don't receive any of the match. Tuition reimbursement is generous at $5000 per year.

Cons

The firm is so focused on its bottom line and return to shareholders that it is nickel and diming its employees to death. Attrition is VERY HIGH, something approaching 50%. We went from having excellent health insurance to a high-deductible plan that doubled my monthly health insurance costs. Management moved to a hoteling system whereby employees reserve space on a daily basis. This would be ok, except that management took way 30% of the available space to give to senior leadership as permanent offices. Where are we supposed to work? Annual salary increases are meager. A rating of exceeds gets a paltry 3%. A promotion gets 7% without an adjustment to the new responsibilities of the new title. Being promoted to Lead Associate is akin to a death sentence because there won't be any contracts that can afford you. Then there's the constant fear of being laid off. Two week of no billable hours and you're fired. That's precisely why employees look for jobs elsewhere as well as inside the firm when their contracts are up. There's nothing to foster any kind of company loyalty.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees instead. We want to do good work and deliver value to our clients, but you are making it very difficult to do so.

3. Overall experience

Pros

Learned about the consulting world

Cons

Huge company, get lost in the shuffle

Good company but benefits have greatly declined

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Opportunity for upward and lateral movement, opportunities for career development, good work-life balance once you've established yourself

Cons

Health care plan is now a high deductible plan, a once great 401K plan was done away with, difficult to find office space with hoteling system, opportunities to advance to senior associate vary greatly from team to team (situation dependent)

6. Not a bad place

Pros

I wasn't here for long enough to comment, but I was allowed to work remote at least 3 days a week.

Cons

The pay was not best in industry for the workload.

Advice to Management

None

7. Great Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mc Lean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mc Lean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as graduate intern for over a year on two different teams. I was given meaningful assignments and valuable work experience. I left and went to the Federal government for many years and I now see I am better suited as a Consultant. I would not have known that if I did not have that great BAH foundation.

Cons

I worked there over 5 years ago. Perhaps the intern department should keep up with the students to see what they are up to, perhaps they may be able to recruit some new talent.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow open communication with the employees that you hire.

8. Contract job overseas

Former Employee - Security Oversight Specialist in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Security Oversight Specialist in Dayton, OH

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of people that truly care about your success in the company and at your job.

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of.

9. Associate

Former Employee - Associate Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Business Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Excellent benefits; embrace diversity; ample opportunity to work in Federal Government (intelligence agencies) and international corporations; quality work environment.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility; leadership talent, skill, and knowledge of employees is often overlooked or ignored, which is one reason why many with promising careers leave after 1.5 to 5 years and find greater success elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Make more clear how to advance to leadership positions.

10. Overall

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Flexible at times, telework options

Cons

High expectations, few training options

Changes

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Dulles, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people, the people and the people. Good experiences and really good on your resume for what's next

Cons

Culture eroded from poor leadership in the main management team consistently changing directions each year to a point that appeared to employees lacked faith in the new yearly direction would be successful and middle management would be left to try and rally (yet they too had a hard time in believing). Taking away benefits some key foundations to Booz Alllen's overall compensation package definitely brought down morale and loyalty.

Advice to Management

Right the ship by focusing on the people that make up your company vice making the top 1% of the company richer

Showing 2,642 of 2,692 reviews