Booz Allen Hamilton

2,155 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,304 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 290 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 101 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 111 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Too many mid-level mangers, can't compete in austere fiscal climate, keeps "dead-weight"

Former Employee - Senior Defense Research Analyst  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Defense Research Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good reputation and past performance gains respect of clients

Cons

When I was hired by Booz Allen (in a position I found) I was told that Booz Allen hires the person, not just for the contract. When my position was migrated to another company, Booz Allen did little to nothing to retain me even though I was more qualified than people working in other positions. They are more interested in keeping people billable than they are in providing the best value and qualified people for the client. Definitely has the perception of favoritism.

Booz Allen is also top heavy which drives up cost and weakens ability too compete.

Keep your talented, most qualified people and replace those who do not have skill sets for today's market who are piled on to contracts just so they can be billable

Was there for 11 years, left, returned and happily gone again

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for less than a year

Pros

From mid 90's to mid 2000s great firm. Loved it, learned alot, my partner was very good. Returned for an assignment in 2012 and good grief, so much had changed!

Cons

Classic Beltway bandit. You are just a drone in a roll. I was expected to treat my staff so differently than we had previously. I had had several offers at play and jumped ship as quickly as possible.

No words can describe how disappointed I was in how leadership attitudes had changed.

Working for Booz is like driving a BMW

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for Booz is like driving a BMW. You love to drive the car while the warranty is active. Once the warranty ends, it turns out it is not the fine tuned machine it claims to be. I worked for Booz for 2 years and the pay and benefits were great, but once the contract ended, they don't really help you find another task.

Cons

Booz is not a consulting firm. You are hired to fill one seat in a specific contract. Once the contract ends, good luck finding a new task. They have "career managers" that suppose to help you find another position, but they are only concerned with their own job security. My advice if you are contemplating joining the firm, accept the job on Monday and start to look for a more stable job on Tuesday. If something else comes up, take it even if you incur a pay cut.

Your so called leadership is a joke. This is mind boggling considering that the firm employs a large number of ex-military personnel.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What Could Have Been...

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a whole, Booz Allen was a good company. On an individual level, the staff was pretty nice. The company had great locations and flexible schedules where staff was able to work from the closest location closest or work remotely, if necessary. The pension plan was one of the few nice benefits.

Cons

I was a bit disappointed when I joined the firm as I had better benefits with my previous companies. The compensation was incredibly low in certain service lines so it was a challenge feeling motivated and appreciated. Additionally, senior leadership did not welcome mentorship relationships with the majority of staff and it was difficult to cultivate relationships with them. After the acquisition of the federal practice, the focus was on billability and it was clear that leadership did not care about staff's career goals. Also, there was a lack of distinct culture and the direction seemed to change in certain service lines on a regular basis.

Work on establishing a Booz Allen culture
    Have leadership take a true interest in junior staff
    Improve compensation and benefits

Company in transition

Current Employee - Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Booz Allen has a long tradition of successfully adding value to client engagements. We have a corporate culture that is based on teaching, learning and mentoring. People take pride in their work. One could spend their entire career here and have limitless variety.

Cons

The economics of the business is changing. Booz Allen has become a very organization intended to achieve economies of scale. It is also publicly traded which means extra scrutiny on earnings and expenses by Wall Street. Meanwhile, the US government, responsible for 95 percent of firm billings, is interested less in strategic consulting and more in low-cost technology solutions. The good work for generalist MBAs is drying up while there is more demand for commodity contract work. Staff are expected to bill at 100%, and there is precious little time allowed on the beach before an employee is terminated. Morale has suffered. This is not the firm it used to be.

Put the genie back in the bottle; go back to 2005 when contracts were fat, the market was not saturated, and the firm was a partnership.

Change ISN'T Always a Good Thing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Dedicated staff who work as a team to provide a Value-add for the client.

Cons

It's a business.....billability is more important than staff satisfaction.....we can get more staff - cheaper!

Gotta know when to hold 'em....gotta know when to fold 'em!

Booz Allen is not the company it once was

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Exposure to different skills, markets and networks.

Cons

Booz Allen hires consultants to perform client tasks but will also use your services for internal Booz Allen marketing, proposal, HR (assessments) and misc duties as required. The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality. Transparency with regard to pay and pay increases need to improve dramatically. Increases can be promised but often times nothing is formally documented. Therefore, seeking redress can be very difficult and time consuming. Also, women and minority have presence at the management and senior management levels, but are conspicuously invisible at higher corporate leadership levels.

Awesome to Awful, a 3 year spin

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The workload was great, the pay was competitive, it was a nice challenging engineering position with ARINC (which was bought out by BAH in 2012, and transitioned into the firm in 2013/2014). Benefits were par for the course, coworkers were friendly and agreeable, and for contract work, they do a good job of keeping people with billable work.

Cons

No promotion path, pitiful raises for even the top performers, citing economic reasons and the need to keep costs down to be competitive, and at the mercy of the people bidding for work. Better hope they bid good work for you instead of work that you're overqualified for. There's been a fairly large and concerning exodus of senior staff and management in the past year, and incoming work has gone from design and engineering to cable fabrication and manual labor. Benefits got "restructured" a few times (and restructuring is never to benefit the employee) and the job is nothing like it used to be

Internal promotions. Make people feel like staying could actually be beneficial. I've watched many younger employees come in, work 3-4 years, and go somewhere else to get a promotion to something they should have had a year or two ago. Managers come in, do a few projects and leave. Promotions could actually give this office some stability instead of the astronomical turnover rate that we currently experience.

A Company Evolving

Current Employee - Engineering Manager
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Booz Allen is very entrepreneurial. In many ways you are far more enabled to make mistakes and come back from them than most other companies.

Cons

The company is very disorganized. It tries to pursue many different lines of business and fails to execute on most of them with excellence. If you are in an area that is truly excellent, and there are some diamonds in the company, you will not have much mentorship in your business. This is sometimes a positive but more often thought of as a negative.

Pay closer attention to industry trends and competitors and learn more from their failures and successes.

Great is you like a type A environment

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Acceptable employee benefits and places worldwide to work

Cons

Processes are not always complete and the helpdesk can take days to respond to an issue.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!