Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

2,627 Employee Reviews

1. Senior Consultant

Pros

Great place to start a career. Plenty of career development and learning opportunities. Get to work with extremely talented people. Diverse client set.

Cons

Leadership is disengaged and not focused on growing and developing talent. Leaders and senior management do not focus on issues that need to be addressed.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining and developing talent

Great development resources, hit or miss with the quality of people and projects you run across.

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Strategic Innovation Group is committed to doing cutting edge work. Many of the people at BAH are down to earth, and many are smart. If you're in cyber or analytics, it's a great place where you'll be among experts. The firm does a great job laying out development paths and providing excellent tools, from funded certifications to a database of trainings.

Cons

Most of the work is boring and not impactful. Overly weighted with salespeople who promise the world that can't be delivered, and with very tedious "butts in seats" positions at government agencies. The interesting work in between (except cyber and analytics) is few and far between because it's not what we're known for. The politics and fiefdoms affect everything. The attribute most valued is time at BAH, which can frustrate smart people with good experience coming from the outside. You'll see top performers with a dozen years of excellent experience and graduate degrees be hired from the outside at the same level (Senior Consultant) as a top performer a year out of undergrad who spent that year at BAH. It's changing, but right now there's a premium for joining out of undergrad and putting in time, a kind of grade inflation, that doesn't map to mid career hires. Once hired, that person can be made whole in a few of years, but it depends on the manager and how the firm is doing.

Advice to Management

Better develop leaders. Most people I know who left quit because of their managers. There's not enough value placed on coaching or retaining. It often feels more like birthing a dozen children hundreds of years ago because you didn't know which would survive (then not giving each the resources they need), rather than the modern practice of having only as many kids as you want and spending the resources to keep them healthy. BAH wouldn't have a revolving door if it had better leaders. Excellent firm-provided development resources will never overcome the tendency for leaders at BAH to focus on their own political agendas and not their people. If we don't know and respect our leaders, learn from then, and feel cared for by them, we won't stick around. I'm hopeful that our culture that lacks an individual manager focus on people (rather than a corporate/programmatic one) will change under what appears to be a strong, people-centered leadership of the new CEO. If we had managers more like him, the team I'm on wouldn't have seen near-100% attrition over the past two years.

3. Sr Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive environment and great benefits during my tenure.

Cons

After going public, they let go of good people.

Advice to Management

Good luck with the new generation of "professional."

Lead Associate

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The collaboration across the Firm was incredible, nothing like I had seen before or since. The salary was slightly above average, and the benefits were above average. I enjoyed working there for almost 7 years.

Cons

Near the end of my employment, I felt boxed in. I felt that I did not have a lot of opportunities to move up, so I left voluntarily. When I left, the Firm was reducing some of the benefits to make the Firm more competitive.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to keep bringing in high talent, not to water down the name and reputation to that of the average Beltway bandits.

6. Solid company with great culture

Former Employee - Associate in Jacksonville, NC
    Former Employee - Associate in Jacksonville, NC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leadership looks out for you. The assignments challenge you and your skills will flourish. There are opportunities in every sector and region of the world.

Cons

Contracting work is highly volatile. When a contract ends it is difficult to start a new project without considerable help. Salary is slightly lower than competing firms.

Advice to Management

Allow more time for employees to expand their skills and education in order to be more successful within the firm.

7. Sr Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

-work travel -diverse projects -knowledge building growth and opportunities -great people / coworkers -varying work loads

Cons

-may require some longer hours -demanding clients (sometimes unreasonable request) -poor health care packages

Advice to Management

Although Booz Allen Hamilton has great people working for the company and many people are helpful, you can definitely tell the culture is business-centric and it feels like some consultants, new to the firm and consulting as a whole, can make individuals feel more like a commodity than a valued person as part of the BAH staff.

8. Not the same Booz Allen as it was pre-Bain

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to do important work with lots of driven, smart people. There are plenty of opportunities to develop your career in the government space. Booz is a great place to have been from.

Cons

The amount of work available varies widely depending on your location. If you're looking at BAH for a career make sure when you interview that there are plenty of partners developing work in your practice in your location or you'll be looking for a new job when your project is done. Culturally this is not the same Booz that it was even 10 years ago, and sometimes it feels like they're riding on their name. Continuing education money has dried up and ECAP is nothing like it used to be, and it feels like the only thing that matters is maximizing utilization.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people only to lay them off because there's no project work available. Reconsider the focus only on utilization during evaluations.

9. Consultant

Pros

BAH gives you amazing real world business experience. The project(s) you work on can give you unique experience in the federal government.

Cons

In my experience, my admin team didn't do much for me. I was switched to a different team twice which meant I couldn't develop my relationship with my SA easily. My last LA did nothing for me.

Advice to Management

Make sure your Consultants are in constant communication with you and be welcoming to them.

10. OK

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA

Pros

Many projects to choose from.

Cons

Benefits aren't as good as they used to be.

11. Great place to gain experience

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to try many roles, good on the job training, team events and celebrations.

Cons

Hours can be a bit heavy depending on the project, upward mobility heavily depends on your internal team/management which may not be following with your latest accomplishments at client site.

Advice to Management

Develop a better employee management system where the project team on site is the one who will be evaluating your performance.

Showing 2,627 of 2,676 reviews