Booz Allen Hamilton

2,128 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,291 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 283 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance (in 103 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start. Better hope your offered a real opportunity

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Booz Allen attempts to maintain a more personal relationship with its employees, and this is driven by the CEO.

Cons

They have been swept away by the globalization forces that have attempted to commoditize highly skilled resources, and drive down salaries to very competent and qualified people. This is the mantra of all consulting firms, to reduce costs and ignore qualifications.

Get serious about leveraging your highly experienced workers to expand your service offerings. There is a rice bowl mentality among Senior Managers

Just another beltway bandit

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton for more than 5 years

Pros

At one time BAH was a company that provided great work for employees and good service to clients. They actually were a consulting company. Now it has become a staff augmentation machine interested in placing "butts in seats". This is unlike the business models of the CSC's, LM's, GD IT's, etc. of the beltway bandits that service the federal government. At one time there was a "secret sauce" at BAH. However, those days are long gone. I left on my own and was not laid off like so many others.

Cons

If you want to work for just another beltway bandit this is your place. However, if you do not get a job offer from them get in you car and drive around the beltway. You will find another company just like them that you will probably hire you. The leadership at BAH is stuffy. Be prepared to drink the cool aid ever day that reminds you that you are "the best". Once apron a time that was true. But that was years ago. The company is now publicly traded just like the CSC's of the world. The bottom line is all that matters. PERIOD. Clients and employees are in a distant second and third place.

None. You do not know how to change. You are truly "old school" and that will be the company's down fall.

solid experience

Former Employee - Consultant  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great resume builder and helps to hone your skill set, either as a generalist or a SME.

Cons

Office culture can be unnecessarily competitive and stiff, lack of trust since the company went public several years ago

focusing on staff will assist in getting monetary results

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work-life balance

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance and smart colleagues.

Cons

Below market compensation and constant inconsistent organizational and administrative changes.

I came in as a senior manager/director, but have been working on a junior level.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is large and has many perks and benefits. It's great for people who are early in their career or those who bring a business base to the company.

Cons

You are expected to "prove yourself" to senior management--what you accomplished before coming to the company has little value. Administrative responsibilities, such as performance reviews and attending team meetings and company updates, are done "on your own time."

Leverage experienced employees to provide leadership to more junior employees. Stop engaging inexperienced staff as leaders of experienced staff.

Challenging environment. BAH struggles with moving from a Private to Public Company.

Current Employee - Principal  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Principal in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Numerous opportunities in the DC/VA/MD area. Large Government presence. Multiple jobs in the technical and science areas. The Firm has numerous social clubs from skiing to volunteering for special Olympics. BAH is a big supporter of the local communities.

Cons

Long hours and short turn around times.

Great contracts, poor leadership interaction

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits offered

Cons

Little interaction between client facing staff and company leadership

Pleasant experience overall but hate the cubicle. Need more meaningful projects.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Really work with smart, intelligent people. Training opportunitites abound.

Cons

A lot of times there's no autonomy, mastery, or purpose in assignments. I don't like the cubicle and work-life balance is not accessible to most folks on client site. And, it's very hard to find the opportunities with telework/telecommute options although the firm wins lots of awards for such.

Very hard to get a promotion and raises are very slim

Lethargic industry, poor internal organization

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for less than a year

Pros

No need to travel much is a plus, and the benefits are decent.

Cons

In my personal experience, nobody at the company cares whether or not you are there, and middle management is exceptionally poor. I was placed on a client site 100% immediately after orientation (which failed to teach me anything important about the company's operations), and am now in my 11th month on the same project. My manager was fired a few months into my time here, before ever having a one-on-one discussion with me for even 5 minutes. Her replacement, who works out of a Booz office maybe 10 minutes away, has not bothered to visit our client site or invite me to his office, and the middle manager between myself and those folks has never shown an interest in learning what skills I might or might not have. The company is heavily focused on federal contracting, and has no strong incentive to stay more than just a notch above its inefficient clients in terms of delivery. Compensation is also poor vis-a-vis the consulting industry at large, and there seems to be no consideration of value for a non-MBA higher education degree, even if directly relevant to work being performed.

Try to even pretend to take an interest in the employees you have, and you may find some obvious assets sitting right under your nose. Buy what you're selling.

Time are tough, but there are still opportunities here...

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is a pretty big company, so there are plenty of opportunities to switch projects if contracts end. All of my coworkers are very capable. Pay is ok, but benefits are solid.

Cons

It's sad when folks get let go or are forced to switch contracts due to lack of funds / hours. Promotions can be hard to get. Seems like smaller companies pay more. Needs to do a better job in keeping the super stars.

Make sure we are better than the competition... in all areas. You need to treat us right and hire the right people to do the best for the clients.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!