Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

2,195 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,327 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 294 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 112 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company,!! Needs minimal work to make it the best in the business.

Former Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

BAH offers great benefits, the opportunity to attend business related training, and their salaries are highly competitive with respect to their employees in the consulting business.

Cons

The cons of working for BAH are minimal. The primary area of concern is lack of dissemination of information (ie.communication) from upper management and lack of follow through with respect to holding others accountable for project completions.

Support and promote your employees who display loyalty to the company and value workplace ethics who also display a 'nose to the grindstone mentality' instead of promoting those who are simply good at talking about what they can or might do, but seldom put actions behind their words.

Booz Allen From the Inside

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great collaborative culture with many tools at your disposal. Helpful colleagues with no fear of retaliation if you know what you are talking about.

Cons

Getting recognition if your management is not with you. Working lots of hours to get ahead. Very business based but they are trying to change that. Federal space is not what it once was an salaries are being squeezed.

Put your money where your mouth is. Pay technical SMEs to keep them without forcing them to develop business plans or spend too many hours on proposals or looking for proposals to participate in. Realign teams to help management focus on the people they lead. Make salaries of function of cost of living. Pay should be the same in Washington D.C. and San diego since cost of living is the same.

Very mixed results

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Well-oiled machine, great resources and processes. Great opportunity for a young engineer to gain experience and mentorship. Some really great managers who have a lot of balls in the air, keeping people employed during very uncertain times.

Cons

Micromanagement. Insane micromanagement. These people need to be medicated. If you are already experienced, you should probably look elsewhere.

You hire people with security clearances, stick them in any position that is funded, then let their clearances expire with little to no support in finding a position which will sponsor them. Then, you send out mass emails asking them to help you recruit new employees with high level security clearances. That is a formula for creating a disgruntled employee.

You have too many lower level managers on SOME of your teams, otherwise no one would have had time to micromanage. I've seen other managers stretched too thin.

Though everyone understands protecting other vendors' proprietary data in theory, practical application falls short. You are expected to magically never receive proprietary data, when the customers keep sending it to you.

Disappointed given its reputation/image

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary and vacation package is generous.

Cons

Luck of the draw in terms of which team one is hired or move to. A bad boss means no promotion, no feedback, left in limbo at the client site, not protected against bullying/harassment by customer. In my case I was assigned what turned out to be a very dysfunctional organization that within the year had replaced its own senior management and treated its contractors like trash or worse (self included). My immediate supervisor, a nice competent man but worried about his own promotions/rise etc, did nothing to protect us at the site. His boss --my hiring boss-- was a complete a-- who was so full of himself that he had zero interest in his minions except for his few pets. But what particularly struck me as red flag, was how during a week's orientation, as we were being indoctrinated on the privileges of working for such an esteemed company, I noted (and raised a fair question) that it appeared the BAH's immense success was tied to its one sole customer, the US Govt. I asked is this was perhaps a risky model i.e. all eggs in one basket and what if this funding source dried up (this was asked circa 2009)? Wouldn't it be prudent to branch out a bit? Needless to say, my question/comment wasn't appreciated. This should have been another red flag.

Better management off campus i.e. at client site. Less fawning of (sole) client at the expense of one's own employees when the work site is beyond dysfunctional and yet the motto remains "the customer is always right."

No longer above market average

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work times
    Ability to travel
    Interesting work

Cons

Hotelling
    Constant cut backs on benefits and other perks (Insurance, transit, 401K)
    Dwindling salaries
    Seems like stakeholders are valued more than employees

Stop wasting money on HR overhauls and stop making insane benefits cuts to be "in line with the industry average". The point of working at BAH is that the firm is supposed to be above the industry average.

Fun and Enjoyable Time

Former Employee - Software Developer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, working remotely,

Cons

Small fish big pond kind of thing

Promote smaller teams

Painful to Win a New Contract

Current Employee - Lead Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My colleagues are top-notch professionals, loyal and client-oriented. They remain flexible even though the client plays fast and loose with requests in and out of contract scope.

Cons

The client point of contact is challenging. Our new contract required the Firm to be creative in developing a methodology for customer service. To be competitive, the Firm "low-balled" the competition and programed staff losses and salary reductions. It was a business risk the Firm was prepared to take. While the staff was aware there was going to be a reduction (in staff and salary), the number we were given to prep ourselves to receive, was much lower than the number we have been asked to swallow (or move on).

A 25 percent salary reduction is more than you can expect ANYONE to accept in order to keep the Firm competitive in ANY market. If your intention was to "green" the staff, then you should say so. Loyalty goes both ways, but the staff is not so sure where yours is aimed. Communicate your intentions well-ahead of the execution of your plan and then keep updating the staff on variations of the original plan. Anybody can put a "butt in a client seat", but the Firm used to sell a reputation instead of butts.

It's All About the Money (Billable Hours)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay scale is ok although on the low side for my industry. The benefits package is about average compared to other companies where I've worked.

Cons

It's all about the money. If you don't have billable hours, you are out the door within a couple of weeks (see other posts about Lack of Work Letters). My so-called Career Manager didn't do squat to help me find another position within the company and a lot of positions require an existing secret or higher security clearance. All the promos I saw were political, not based on skill. And woe unto you if you have a goofball client - they can make your life hell if your manager doesn't have the stones to protect their people. This is a good place to get some experience in a federal contract house (butts in the seats); BAH is NOT a consulting firm in any sense of the definition. You can survive for awhile if you blather corporate speak and play the cheerleader, but plan on finding another job within 2-3 years.

Great People, Great Culture, Great Career Mobility

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dayton, OH

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Philanthropy, Culture, Diversity, Career Paths

Cons

Our customer is the DoD or US Government so when things are shaky in the Government makes for the life of a BAH employee tough

Keep encouraging your employees to be more then who they are and encourage them to take advantage of the tuition/certification reimbursement and make sure the employees take advantage of that offering every year.

Awesome group of people!

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

The people that work at Booz Allen Hamilton are very willing to help you, and provide you with meaningful work to benefit your resume. Very great place to Intern!

Cons

It's very important to know someone to get an internship there, I knew very few interns who got in without a connection.

Keep up the good work!