Booz Allen Hamilton

2,236 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,348 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to be Great Company

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I joined this company believing in the line "delivering results that endure." However, I quickly realized that what endures is the greed of the partners. The benefits used to be great until they decided to shift the burden on employees, and now you pay high health care premiums. For example, for a family coverage, you paid $281 monthly, but as of January 1, 2015- same coverage is $465. The opportunities to grow professionally are there, but at what cost?

Cons

The work-life balance is an oxymoron, because it is usual to work 60 hours and be required to officially record 40 hours per week. Remember, if you record 60 hours, the client's isn't paying for that and you will blow the budget out the water. Unfortunately, leadership used to be great but now isn't there. People are overworked and underpaid. I know people who've left the firm and gained 30% pay increase, some even doubled their salaries.

Be upfront about your intensions for people. Don't screw people over and blame the government buying habits. Don't recruit people who are secure in their current position and offer the jobs, then fire the after 3 months due to LACK OF WORK, throwing their entire families into turmoil.

A sad decline

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The caliber of people was outstanding throughout my career with Booz Allen. The skills, experiences and professional drive of most individuals was what you would only find in any other company's highest performers. Work quality was likewise of the highest caliber and there was an enormous amount of forward thinking within the firm.

Cons

When a global asset management groups purchases a services partnership with minimal real estate and other tangible assets, guess where the savings are generated from? Bueller???? Bueller??? Anyone??? Anyone??? The fundamental shift in business strategy from high quality consultancy to staff augmentation caused exceptionally high turnover of the best people. Most of my colleagues and leadership were actively looking for new companies when I left and were sharing networks, recruiter contacts and job listings.

Terrible Experience on a Terrible Team

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The firm pays competitively and supports teleworking if allowed per your contract. If you're lucky to be assigned to a good team then you will flourish, and people look out for one another. They offer good health insurance (which is becoming increasingly harder to come by) with plenty of options to fit your needs. 401K % matched was just lowered but still a good benefit.

Cons

Team was greedy and project lead only looked out for himself....I was picked up and used by a team to gain more business from client site, whom I had fostered a good relationship with but once they were finessed two extra billets I became dispensable and treated like a plague from entire team to include HR/recruiting. Lip service central and disappointing to colleagues I knew on different teams who were apologetic on my own teams.

Actually be about the people and not the money because in the end its your reputation and just because you have legacy with clients doesn't mean you're guaranteed to future business/contracts.

Strong public sector company expanding into selected commercial markets

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

career growth, learning, leadership, work/life balance

Cons

distributed workforce makes it harder to be in the right place to take advantage of opportunities

Student Consultant Position

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

team oriented, tools available to learn the BAH way, very positive culture

Cons

I was just a student consultant. I was an unpaid position. No cons from my experience.

Great Company

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Augusta, GA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, room for advancement, generally a great, well-regarded company

Cons

Heavy on the red tape. Contracting jobs are always temporary. This means that you can perform flawlessly and still get laid off when they lose the contract. Also, Booz's work in this area primarily involves shift-work. Shift work can take a heavy toll on family life, and involves frequent holiday and weekend work.

Happy with this company.

Ever notice most SA's and Principals are unmarried or divorced? Ask yourself why?

Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

--Young people are quite talented.
    --Great coffee--seriously, it was a little thing that was appreciated.
    --Reputation from years ago still carries some weight.
    --There are some good managers still around. If you can find one, get on their programs.
    --The good projects are interesting. They won't pay well, but nice people.
    --People dress professionally.
    --Good 401(k) match.

Cons

--Like "Lord of the Flies"? Then you'll love watching senior management undercut each other. This was depressing to see. Unfortunately, we underlings were treated like pawns in their squabbles.
    --Training? That's your own problem on your own dime.
    --Want a raise? Go somewhere else.
    --Enjoy 65-hour work weeks months at a time? Like work calls on Sunday AM? Perhaps this explains all the divorces!
    --Like bonuses only for executives (i.e. not the 65 hour work week people)? If you are not an executive (i.e. SA and above), you are not going to get anything other than a couple hundred bucks for a couple hundred extra hours worked--and not that's not an exaggeration. Ask around to confirm this.
    --Like work calls at home at 10:30 PM?

--Look at what your competitors are offering, and think about what you need to do in order to retain your key people. Why is your turnover so high and morale so low? Somebody needs to analyze this to stop the loss of talent. This trend can be fixed, but it is going to cost you something to do it.
    --Yes, 24-year-olds can do 70% of the work of 52-year-olds at 40% of the cost, but the epic fails of the 30% of the stuff they can't do, is highly damaging. The government is quickly realizing that the expensive bloat of top-heavy management, means there are cheaper and better companies to work with than Booz.
    --Discourage the in-fighting among SA's and Principals. This was such a turnoff to witness, that I had no interest in ever seeking to rise to that level at this company. I left.
    --You guys are being really cheap on training. Smaller companies know this and are snatching our best and brightest staff by offering this. Someone at 1-Dulles needs to figure this out.
    --I saw great young workers around me who made great impacts for the customer. Management took all the credit, took their bonuses, and the people who did the heavy lift got no bonus, no promotion, and no verbal accolades. Those guys left shortly after this.
    --Respect work/life balance. Occasional long hours are okay, but this should not be the norm. Expecting regular 10-12 hour days (without a dime of bonus) is a fast way to burn out your people, and wreck their family lives, if they put up with this longer than a year or two.
    --Rebuild Booz to what it was 10+ years ago. It can be done. You have some great people within, so don't burn them out or chase them off to greener pastures elsewhere.

Stand behind their employees

Current Employee - Associate in Scott AFB, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Scott AFB, IL

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and above industry standard 401K contributions
    Go to great extents to retain employees when contracts end
    Good training support for continuing education ($ and time)

Cons

401K support coming down to industry standard (but still good)
    Contracts still end and they can't place everyone

Consolidate the career sites. Updating info still requires employees to access People, Hellos, and Career Central sites. Always confuses me.

They earn their employees loyalty

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great employee support and benefits
    Full support for training ($ and time)
    Excellent compensation and retirement savings plan

Cons

Positions are often tied to contracts which always have a finite period of performance.

Simplify the tools available to employees. Annual assessments require us to access multiple sites (People Profile, Hello Profile, Career Central...). We should have a one stop shop for all of it.

Good On The Outside, Stale on the Inside

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was almost fully a telecommuter which was a great pro. The money was great for the small amount of work I did. The work was easy to me because I was basically occupying my old military position but paid 3 times the amount of money. Benefits were good at the beginning but dwindled down slowly in the 6 years I was at the firm. Most people were helpful and wanted you to success. Travel was great for some positions like mine. Definite resume shiner for the future!

Cons

Lots of hot air from upper management. When you're being told how good you are everyday you go with that. But when the project started drilling down, no one was anywhere to be found to help you find another project. Senior Associates could care less about those underneath them in most cases. Veterans like myself come to the table helping the firm make a LOT of money but you once they realize you aren't useful anymore you're out. Seems like, "Lack of Work" letters were more and more popular when I left. With the drill down of govt money and contracts, BAH is in trouble!

Pay attention to those who got you to your level! Listen to what they have to say and let those under you make some decisions instead of making the wrong decisions just because you can.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos