Booz Allen Hamilton

2,290 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,369 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Stable company with some room to grow in the private sector but has the government pains of all contracting companies

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Increasing remote delivery positions
    -Investing a lot in internal data science resources
    -Reward loyalty to the company
    -Very accommodating to work/life balance

Cons

-Politics
    -Sometimes push you to do something because they need to fill a position
    -Education reimbursement is too low to consider furthering education at top schools

Great place to work once you come to terms with the culture.

Former Employee - Associate in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Associate in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, a wealth of knowledge and experience in the company, mentors are at every turn, culture is aimed at developing and growing employees.

Cons

When I first showed up to work I noticed immediately I was by far the youngest person around. I thought at first that was normal but then I noticed more and more over my next 4 years that there is some age discrimination. Not in hiring or blatant but it exists. I was passed over as the lead on projects multiple times by people who were just as, or even less, qualified than I was but they were older. They claim to be a "flat" organization but the hierarchy is very clear. Because most of the staff is former military the culture subsequently became a very militaristic type work environment. In most ways it was good but it did not allow for a lot of chances to disagree or challenge the status quo without being seen as a troublemaker.

Listen to the young people. I promise you that if you give them autonomy and responsibility they will take the firm to places it has never been before. We used to be a top dog but now we are seen as that old dog who has picked his spot with government and waits for its scraps. We have a group called the Strategic Innovation Group, they have not innovated a thing, ever! They take other peoples ideas and try to build on them. You CANNOT innovate sitting in McLean, VA you need to embrace tech and changing times and go out and find the next big thing that is going to put you back on the map!

Unique Culture

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Booz Allen seems to want to offer employees a long term career with the firm. Booz is flexible when it comes to work schedule. The firm offers plenty of opportunities to get involved in the firm. Annual assessments are more than just a "check in the box." The firm offers opportunity for promotion which is unheard of from Booz Allen's competitors who require managers to be retired commissioned officers.

Cons

The Booz Allen culture isn't for everyone. The firm expects employees to work beyond the normal 40 hour work week without the opportunity to earn overtime pay. Firm does not allow for employees to keep per diem overages.

Increase medium salary offering for employees living in the Hawaiian Islands to be complementary with employees working out of the Washington D.C. area. Oahu's cost of living is extremely expensive like the east coast and yet salaries offered seem to be $20 - $50K less.

Great people, amazing work life balance

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance
    Colleagues are smart and helpful
    Training opportunities all the time
    Career Growth

Cons

Wish there was bonuses for Senior Consultants. Now that reviews are yearly, I wish I could get more feedback in the year rather than one lumped annual assessment

Keep it up, Booz is still a very enjoyable place to work.

Big Company, easy to get lost; Benefits slipping

Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Booz Allen is a prestigious firm that still has a great reputation for attracting quality talent. They have contracts in prestigious places -- primarily federal government and DoD and work with exciting technologies.

They hire for talent and culture fit, not for contracts. You have a few months to get work where you can train and get certifications, and they'll keep you on for several weeks after you lose a contract to find new work. Not your typical government contractor that lays you off when your contract ends.

Cons

It's a massive company, it's so easy to get lost in the chaff and not get recognized, if you are on the wrong team you will not succeed. Period. Some leadership takes care of their employees, other leadership just sucks the billable hours out of you and then gives you a 1% raise at the end of the year. Good luck moving to a different team if you get tucked away on a bad one. I tried for 4 years to move teams with no traction.

The assessment process is tremendously complicated, burdensome, and opaque, people sometimes have to take a few day of unbillable time in order to work through them.

Everything is about billing and time recording. If you enter time 5 minutes late you might not get promoted.

Benefits have been slipping ever since I've worked here. They used to pride themselves on taking care of their employees, providing top tier benefits and compensation, but recently they've moved to the middle of the pack if not the rear.

More transparency, more communication with your employees. Fix the assessment program, we should be able to provide direct actionable feedback to the assessment board's concerns. Stem the bleeding from benefits. I stuck around a couple years after they cut the profit sharing, but the health care was the last straw.

Ok pay, poor benefits, little room for growth if you're not a good ole boy

Current Employee - Intel Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Intel Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. I really enjoy everyone that I interact with and work with on a daily basis.

Pay isn't terrible. It's not the best but it's far from the worst.

Cons

Terrible benefits. No sick days or personal days. If you're sick you go to work or take vacation time.

The company forces you to go to training or meetings during regular work hours and it's not billable. In essence you work for 8 hours a day but dont get credit for the mandatory meeting/training. So you either have to work extra or take paid time off.

You're expected to participate in proposal writing, which can be a many, many extra hours yet you're not compensated for it and you don't get comp time for what could be working 40 extra hours a week.

Their health care just changed to a terrible high deductible plan that, coupled with the lack of raises for many this year, results in a net loss in pay from last year.

They have a 6% 401(k). However they on deposit their contributions once a calendar year. So, if you are there for 11 months then leave you get no match.

A lot of their new policies have been made to clearly pad the pockets of executives and appease shareholders. It's clear that management didn't consider their employees when they made decisions. There really are minimal reasons to be with this company.

Legitimately care about your employees.

A good company to consider working for.

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good technology and benefits packages. Company definitely promotes working as a team and I found that all of the employees I met or worked with were quality people. Good investment plan and standard vacation benefits.

Cons

Salaries are a lower than some of the other companies I've seen but that also may be relative to your own experience. Experienced them winning with lower bids and replacing their own people with lower salaried employees. May have difficulty moving around in the company in the same local area if you are not skilled in required core business or skill sets needed.

Loss of focus

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you are good at sales and marketing you can advance quickly.

Cons

Technical people are not valued and there is no recognition for excellent client service and delivery

You are completely disconnected from your staff and the rest of the company. Get back to focusing on your people and running the company

Decent Company

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Pretty good work-life balance depending on where you work (you will work more hours if you live on the east coast). Access to interesting projects and lots of knowledgeable people. Work experience is completely tied to where you work and what team you are placed on.

Cons

Benefits are being reduced. Career advancement is basically like any other government contractor...you move up when someone retires or you are the only one left to fill a void. The firm continually notifies everyone how innovative they are but, unless you are at a major hub, you will not experience much of this.

Figure out what made the firm great 20 years ago and see if you can recapture some of that.

Nice Company

Current Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Great about training and education

Cons

depends on contract, if you spend most of your time on client site, it is hard to put in extra hours to deal with company outings

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos