Booz Allen Hamilton

www.boozallen.com
Employer Engaged

HR is not very helpful

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Benefits are good. You get paid while your on the bench searching for your next role.

Cons

Hard to find projects close to home....long commutes

Good company for career launch--easy to get stuck

Current Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Booz Allen has a wonderful reputation. This is great for future brand recognition. Also, the compensation is pretty well and the ability to work wherever you are/flex time is very nice.

Cons

The problem, however, is that the firm very much operates like a franchise. Different teams are competing for similar work. This is across all industries/markets/capabilities. The consequence is significant frustration to "build your brand" (i.e. build your business to make the firm $). Also, promotions depend heavily upon whether or not your L4 (Sr. Associate/Sr. Manager or above) like you.

Get rid of the market structure. Focus on capabilities and group like-minded and capable people together so you can minimize competition among teams.

Struggling to get back to the old days

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Lots of talk about returning to our innovation roots
    People still mostly care

Cons

Misfires all over the place on the wrong incentives and motivations for employees
    Little to no focus on retention, serious brain drain
    Leadership at times comes across as glorified project managers from yesteryear, not professional business leadership

Fire all the legacy leadership and hire professional business managers
    STOP all the programs that are voluntary around innovation, mentorship, etc, and actually pay people to do the extras required for real innovation
    Return private, the quarterly performance drive is KILLING the company

Losing its charm

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Large footprint with a lot of reach back capability

Cons

Losing its perks, stove piped capabilities, and becoming a labor factory

Go Private Again!!!

Associate: PhD scientist in a technical consulting role

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with multiple client organizations and gain valuable and varied experience. When I started in 2008, the total benefits package was great - the firm contributed 10% to my retirement account (regardless of what I contributed) during profitable years. There was a high level of professionalism at the firm. The firm offered a good work-life balance.

Cons

There were few opportunities for promotion to middle or upper management for people with technical backgrounds like myself. Contributions by the firm to employee retirement accounts were being scaled back in a stepwise manner when I was leaving the firm in 2013, the first step down was to ~7%, and I recall that a subsequent step down to ~5% matching contributions was planned for the following year. There was no bonus structure in place for any employee below Senior Associate. Compensation was lower than many competitors, I feel that this was due largely to upper management staff not billing to client engagements.

Please respect, nurture, and listen to your technical staff. Compensation tends to be a bit lower than competitors and few opportunities for promotion will continue to result in high turnover of technical staff especially given that job security was diminishing toward the end of my time with the firm.

A good company that started prioritizing bodies over talent.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In general, people at BAH are pretty smart and dedicated to the work they do. I met a lot of talented individuals that I was proud to work with. The company has some great contract and does a good job of helping you find work that you would find interesting.

Cons

A lot of the people they started bringing in did not have the same level of dedication and talent that I saw when I joined the company. I partly blame this on the whole going public thing. Things like lunches, team meetings, and an overall feeling of comradery began to go away. In the end I left the company because I ended up identifying and connecting with my customer as opposed to BAH.

Focus on talent. I know butts in seats means a better bottom line. But for everyone from the engineering/consulting side - talent is what helps you keep winning new and better business.

Great environment to build a solid career in consulting

Current Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Depending on your project good work/life balance
    -Autonomy
    -Benefits

Cons

-Depending on your administrative team a lot of red tape to get towards promotion
    -Healthcare benefits still good, but not as strong as they once were
    -Salary increases have declined

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You will have an opportunity to network both within the firm and outside. It's a company that you truly can control your career. If you don't want to work hard to advance, or you want to be gifted promotions, it's not the company for you. But hard work is rewarded.

Cons

Benifits used to be attractive, but now stink. Medical carries high deductibles that must be paid before insurance pays a penny, and 401k is now 6% matching (from 10% not matching, just flat contributions)

make it easier to find new contracts. Right now, it's easier to leave the company to find work than find new opportunities internally. But again, those that work hard can find good contracts.

Not a bad place to work

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

They offer decent salaries and benefits.

Cons

Career development is lacking and management doesn't seem that interested in helping their employees.

Just another defense contractor.

Current Employee - Lead Engineer
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Above market pay and benefits. The unpaid leave benefit allows employees to take up to a month off per year in addition to a handsome vacation benefit. Everything else is about the same all the rest of the defense contractor community (medical, dental, vision, 401k, tuition assistance, etc.)

Cons

Leadership is constantly attempting to harvest the great ideas of its staff. I say harvest because the donation or facilitation of ideas (business development) must happen outside of normal business hours (meaning no overhead charge number). Participation isn't mandatory but it influences company culture (work life balance).

If you want to be innovative, provide your staff with an admin charge number to use when participating in non-contract work (business development).

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos