Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

2415 reviews filtered by

Decent Place to Build Career

Current Employee - Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started at Booz Allen Hamilton directly after undergrad. Was contacted by a recruiter who noticed my previous internships with defense contractors. Signed a contingent offer, got cleared during final semester in school, started right away.

Started off on a billable contract right away. Was offered little to no guidance but using common logic and networking skills I was able to grow my contacts, shadow IT and business development experts, and become familiar with the consulting model.

Depending on your contract the work can be extremely challenging. Staff come and go and only the strong survive in client-space. If you have a political/feudal government client - good luck. Know how to play the game. Work hard and look out for yourself, place your teammates in a position to succeed. Selfish individuals are immediately identified and not rewarded by management.

In my short tenure I made opportunities for myself by leading change and demonstrating exceptional delivery. I was rewarded with back-to-back promotions (Consultant -> Sr. Consultant -> Associate) in 2 years.

Firm training is decent but not advertised. You will determine how your career progresses. Non-existent hand-holding.

Cons

Benefits have noticeably decreased the past few years. 401k dropped from 10% employer contribution to 7.5% matching to 6% matching. Health insurance deductibles are in effect this year. Employees are unhappy and frustrated.

I have witnessed cases in which top talent were given LOW letters due to their contract funding being cut. Most employees sit around and twiddle their thumbs, banking their careers on their career managers. If the career manager is busy, on vacation, or simply not knowledgeable enough to find new billable work... it's bye bye for you. Keep in mind career managers have basic training and seminars they attend - but they aren't all-knowing. Network network network to put yourself in the best position to succeed and survive in this tough market.

The different account leaders are not collaborating at an effective level. Staff turnover can be prevented if home teams communicate with one another on horizontal staff transitions.

The firm is in danger of becoming another seat-filler corporation. I am lucky enough to be highly visible to management because of the excellent work I'm doing. But some of my teammates feel very alienated from leadership and are unaware of our business operations. Everyone is busy and I noticed the folks that complain are the ones who do not do anything about it. They are unwilling to work a single minute over 40 hours a week, refuse to attend company socials, and badmouth teammates that succeed. Management is performed at the micro level and it seems to be hit-or-miss depending on client and work location.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally with respect. Some employees are indeed underwhelming but think of ways to motivate them for success. Our accounts will grow and the cash flows will increase if your employees are happy.

LCAT rates and profitability are important, but when downward rate pressures are driving us to bid lower than imaginable... do NOT penalize hardworkers by not giving decent raises. It is inexcusable to maintain profitability by forcing employees to take pay cuts. You will lose. Your top performers will leave and take a bunch of teammates with them. Good luck trying to backfill - no one will join you even if you offer crap referral bonuses.

Motivate your employees. Do not try to talk down to them at mentorship events. For example, I was an entry level consultant stating to a principal that I wished to learn the BAH model and become a team lead within 3 years. I was laughed at by the principal, mocked in front of my peers and told to know my role and be "realistic". Reality check - some of us learn quickly. It is no longer the "stay for x number of years, seniority and loyalty will get you the promotion". Be professional, bring expertise that can't be replicated.. and you will be a rockstar. Do not let teammates and managers discourage you from pursuing your goals.

Worked at BAH full-time for the past 4 years - resilient company with an excellent industry reputation

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-competitive pay
    -training encouraged
    -ability to move between client engagements
    -very smart colleagues
    -generally interesting/engaging work

Cons

-constant administrative realignments
    -slashing perks/benefits one by one
    -very bureaucratic culture

Advice to Management

recognize your superstar employees and reward them well

3. Instructional Designer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of different experiences. Some really talented people as co-workers.

Cons

No real work life balance.

Senior Consultant

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The workplace provided exposure to a great group of people and allowed me to build those relationships and learn from them on a regular basis. Additionally, most projects that I had exposure to provided a great work/life balance - specifically with flexibility around the hours I worked and working remotely.

Cons

Many of the firm's projects are centered on staff augmentation - maybe it is just the way the industry is heading but I found very few elements of "consulting" in my roles. When I expressed my interests and desires to find a new project I received minimal support from my admin team simply because I was billable and on a very stable project.

The firm's middle management seems to be in a hard position of balancing project management, business development, and human capital development. I found little to no career guidance during my time at the firm. To be fair, I knew other employees that had great career managers so it is very much based on your admin team.

The pay and benefits are behind the industry - the chatter around the office alluded to salaries much lower than what is reported on glassdoor.

Advice to Management

I would encourage senior management to continue to focus on engaging and developing employees - It seemed like the employees were a commodity. In addition to developing employees, veer away from too much staff augmentation engagements because it will only continue to dilute the value of Booz Allen's brand and reputation.

Booz Allen Hamilton has been a great company to work for. It is definitely for those that are independent.

Current Employee - Lead Associate
    Current Employee - Lead Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

One of the best training programs. Booz Allen has partnerships with the top IT companies and government agencies making each contribution meaningful.

Cons

As a consultant, one is limited to the total impact based on limited projects.

Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

everything is awesome, work, life balance is the aweomemnest thing at booz allen

Cons

None that I can think of because Booz is the best company to work for!

Advice to Management

keep on keeping on!

8. Great company

Former Employee - Consultant II in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant II in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

401k was great....the contributed percent. I think that changed though. They also offered paternity leave and had great education benifits

Cons

You had to want to build a business to advance yourself

8 years, finishing as a Senior Associate

Former Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Tight nit organization, as it became a public company it started to feel more like a defense contractor. Great overall benefits, especially if you stay there for 6 years. Still has much more of a consulting culture compared to other government contractors.

Cons

Now that is is a public company most of the focus and culture can make it feel like other defense contractors. Also company is not really relevant in the commercial market.

Advice to Management

bring back the old ECAP plan, it was a big seller to staff.

10. Challenging, fun, great people

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

You learn a ton in the field

Cons

Very intense. Great out of college job.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

11. Love working for BAH

Current Employee - Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Salary, growth opportunities, diversity forums, community involvement, mentoring programs and so and and so on. I like what this company offers.

Cons

For me as a military retiree, I do not see any cons with working for Booz Allen Hamilton. The company is great for veterans.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos