Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

2,504 Employee Reviews

1. Shipping receiving

Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Attendant in Spotsylvania, VA
    Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Attendant in Spotsylvania, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than a year)

Pros

Very enjoyable atmosphere, friendly people, variety, and training. Booz-Allen is a party type atmosphere, for an employer, and social engagements happened often.

Cons

I am sorry I was not hired permanent.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the good spirit and relations.

Great place for work/life balance

Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance
    Telework allowed
    Nice people
    Great brand - helps your resume

It's a great place to start your career or in early years of your career. They provide good training, teams are usually collaborative and helpful, culture is great (depending on the team).

Cons

Declining revenue
    Bureaucratic
    Difficult to move up
    Benefits no longer good

In my 5+ years, a lot of things have changed and for the most part for the worse. Benefits used to be GREAT and now horrible. The way management made decisions around cutting benefit was a mistake. Hoteling system is not fun as you spend a lot of time trying to find space to work, and with recent changes of getting rid of a lot of buildings, parking is also an issue. Overall a good company and I had a great career here but can't stay long if you are ambitious.

Advice to Management

People is your only asset. Invest in people!

3. Not bad.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Flexible time, hands-off management. Work life balance is good.

Cons

Pay is below contemporaries at other companies. Benefits are supposed to offset that, however they don't. The benefits structure presumes you work in McLean, so none of the health or family services are available elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Forget about Virginia. Find new ways to compensate for benefit loss, because the pay doesn't cut it.

Smart People

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a great reputation in the community and hires very smart people. There are many projects to choose from and flexible work schedules.

Cons

The benefits packages have been overhauled over the past several years with lost paid time off, 401k match without employee contribution, and lower cost health plans.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees when they say they have a specific need. Many times, needs are not heard until an employee puts in their two week notice of resignation. Work harder to bring back old benefits packages that made Booz Allen stand out from the competition.

6. Great Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Excellent mentoring, career/personal development training, tools and practices for networking expertise and opportunities

Cons

Have to always be looking for the next gig

Advice to Management

Stay in touch regularly with client-site team members

Company in Decline

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Booz Allen has great people to work with and the company is well respected by clients. The focus of myself and my colleagues is helping our clients succeed in their mission and delivering value. The folks I work with are great people. They are smart and as a team we are driven to deliver the best work and value to our clients.

Cons

I received a 2% raise this year and there was steep decline in benefits! The 401K 10% contribution is gone and this year they switched to high deductible health plans effectively negating raises. As a high performer on a profitable project, I am constantly asked by upper management to do marketing, proposal and administrative activities. Recently, with the lack of performance recognition I’ve been declining the “extra” activities. I wish management would realize we are not volunteers and they need to take of their greatest asset…..people. As many other folks have written there has been an erosion of what made Booz Allen so great before….culture! Management has taken note, but I’m not sure there is anything to do at this point to turn the ship around. Attrition rates have been VERY high and I heard that recently it was over 25%. Upper management says 2-5% raise is the standard in the industry and they are confused why people jump ship to competitors. If a competitor dangles better benefits and a 10-20% increase….doesn’t seem like a hard choice.

8. Intelligence Analyst

Former Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good for career development. They invest in their people, and have a strong focus on improving their workforce professionally. Booz Allen has a great benefits package, althought it is not as good as it used to be. Their 401K benefits are still better than a lot of other companies.

Cons

Very clique oriented and must work many hours outside of your normal day job is you want to get promoted. Not easy to get into because they are looking for only certain types of people. If you are a shy, introverted person, you might have problems getting a job there. They used to be good about keeping you on the bench for long periods of time until you find another suitable position within the firm, but those days are gone. Many are now receiving lack of work notices much more quickly than in the past.

Advice to Management

Please try to focus on the talents of all your people, not just a select few. Some of the managers at Booz Allen can be very closed minded. I would advise that you try to be more open to ideas that do not necessarily align with your own. Booz Allen touts diversity, and they do hire a lot of diverse talent, but some managers do not allow diverse thinking.

9. Senior Consultant

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than a year)

Pros

Well run company, opportunity to grow and develop, good benefits package

Cons

Pay is a bit lower than average, expect a lot of non project related administrative work if you'd like to advance

10. Great incentives to justify poor treatment

Former Employee - Technical Writer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Terrific benefits and diversity practices

Cons

It has a notoriously high-stress environment with weekend work required and no chance of promotion. The only way to get promoted is to work somewhere else and come back. Staying only means doing a job you weren't hired to perform.

Advice to Management

Just because I'm ambitious does not mean I am not a threat to your position.

11. Financial Consultant

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Health and Retirement Benefits very strong.

Cons

Lack of Strong one-on-one Leadership

Advice to Management

Non

Showing 2,504 of 2,547 reviews