Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

3.7

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 283 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance (in 103 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

good work life balance, not great for development

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

work life balance, great name recognition, great location

Cons

training is mediocre and not as thorough as at other comparable consulting firms

push your young talent harder/into stretch assignments and rotate them more often

job

Current Employee - Associate  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

some very good coworkers on projects

Cons

leadership is not honest about promotion opportunities they lead people on

share information

No response

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

The online training available it adequate. The option for tuition reimbursement is great, if you want to take courses during your tenure.

Cons

I have had no support from my team. My admin is very stressed and has pressure from his leader that is funneled down.

Place your employees where they prefer to work and they will be happier. Offer more flexibility for home/work life balance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

3 years at booz

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Work life balance - I almost never work more than 40 hours a week
    Respect - entry level/junior employees are shown a great deal of respect from other employees.

Cons

Commute - driving to Tyson's corner is absolute agony
    From my experience in training classes, there are a lot of fakers at Booz. Guys that talk a lot without knowing anything. Fortunately I haven't had any on my projects.
    Paychecks are once a month.

Please continue to respect work/life balance. I came here from a job that required 50+ hours a week every week. The free time means a lot to me.

So far so good

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Booz Allen offers a competitive total compensation package, but the real deal-sealer is the work-life balance it affords its employees. The right person can flourish with the lateral and upward mobility that is available here.

Cons

Employees are only eligible for promotion or salary adjustment on an annual basis. While it is a thorough and relatively fair process, it is disappointing to wait a whole year to show progress against development items.

BAH is growing too quickly to retain the same culture that has made it successful. Focus more on retention and re-competes rather than ambitious growth targets that pad your 401(k)s.

Not a great place to expand your technical knowledge.

Former Employee - Consultant  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Good benefits, salary is relatively competitive with other firms in the DC area when you factor in the benefits & the name for the resume. A variety of opportunities and career paths. Many of the employees are experts in their fields.

Cons

Salary (by itself) is not great. Salary appears to be arbitrary and varies widely (10K+) by team/office -- even if in the same metro area. Difficult to move to other projects. Highly technical people need not apply, they just don't have a wide array of technical work that needs to get done. Full battle gear business attire is required every day. There answer to everything is "it depends." They should be able to give straight answers, particularly to new college grads.

Drop the words "it depends" from your recruiting process. Job offers should be firm, or at the very least include a clause stating that your actual placement might be drastically different than the offer. Stop hiring technical people (ie. Computer Science grads) if you can't place them in positions that utilize those skills.

Solid career, pretty happy.

Current Employee - Associate  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Good business model, assessments are fair.

Cons

Really hard to advance past Associate.

Spread out levels of advancement so that everyone is not a 3!

Booz Allen has grown

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Work life balance is very good. They are located everywhere which makes looking for jobs internall if you move very nice.

Cons

It has grown enormously and I don't know if the management has fully figured out how to handle it.

Work on cutting off some of the fluff in the company. There are too many employees for the work. Stop taking advantage of the government.

Very satisfied

Current Employee - Associate  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

This is a great place to work If you're willing to work hard and learn to work within the culture

Cons

Lots of unwritten "rules" - just find a good mentor or two to guide you through

Keep leading

Great place to work, many opportunities

Current Employee - Associate  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

This place is absolutely full of some of the most educated, optimistic, intelligent and flexible people I have ever worked with. For the most part, Associates and below make excellent employees, collaborators and friends. I have felt challenged and full of great things to do.

Cons

Many of the large contracts run by Booz Allen are so far distanced from the company that many employees become more of a fixture in their individual contract than in the company at large.

Establish a track for those in the company who wish to continue to improve their skills in their chosen discipline, rather than requiring all managers to sell business and win contracts to get ahead.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!