Booz Allen Hamilton

www.boozallen.com
  www.boozallen.com

Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.7

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a great place to expand your technical knowledge.

Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Good benefits, salary is relatively competitive with other firms in the DC area when you factor in the benefits & the name for the resume. A variety of opportunities and career paths. Many of the employees are experts in their fields.

Cons

Salary (by itself) is not great. Salary appears to be arbitrary and varies widely (10K+) by team/office -- even if in the same metro area. Difficult to move to other projects. Highly technical people need not apply, they just don't have a wide array of technical work that needs to get done. Full battle gear business attire is required every day. There answer to everything is "it depends." They should be able to give straight answers, particularly to new college grads.

Drop the words "it depends" from your recruiting process. Job offers should be firm, or at the very least include a clause stating that your actual placement might be drastically different than the offer. Stop hiring technical people (ie. Computer Science grads) if you can't place them in positions that utilize those skills.

Solid career, pretty happy.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Good business model, assessments are fair.

Cons

Really hard to advance past Associate.

Spread out levels of advancement so that everyone is not a 3!

Not a bad place to work

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Provides employees flexibility to move around to different positions within the firm. Profit sharing / 401K is good. Good job security. If you are self motivated then promotions are possible. The requirements for being promoted to the next level are for the most part spelled out clearly.

Cons

Not everyone feels comfortable with the Booz business culture. Some people, particularly those only interested in technical work, may feel out of place. Promotions above Associate (Level 3) are not possible unless you demonstrate that you are generating substantial business profits for the firm.

Don't go public - it didn't work before and it won't work now. Modification of the promotion criteria would be nice.

Torn between pros and cons

Current Employee - Consultant I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Firm reputation, resources available (especially in the areas of education and training), and flexibility. The firm has allowed me to move to various teams and to different areas of the country.

Cons

Promotion potential is low, in-fighting between various teams for resources is frequent, lots of internal politics that are very draining.

The recent change in how promotions are conducted (especially from L1 to L2) is very frustrating. If you don't have a manager who is looking out for you, it is easy to get lost in the shuffle.

good work life balance, not great for development

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

work life balance, great name recognition, great location

Cons

training is mediocre and not as thorough as at other comparable consulting firms

push your young talent harder/into stretch assignments and rotate them more often

job

Current Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

some very good coworkers on projects

Cons

leadership is not honest about promotion opportunities they lead people on

share information

No response

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

The online training available it adequate. The option for tuition reimbursement is great, if you want to take courses during your tenure.

Cons

I have had no support from my team. My admin is very stressed and has pressure from his leader that is funneled down.

Place your employees where they prefer to work and they will be happier. Offer more flexibility for home/work life balance.

Not good for Health

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Money, career advancement if you are in the right industry practice, great networking with other people at your level, good strategy experience

Cons

The Principals (Associate becomes Senior Associate becomes Principal becomes Partner) are often the study leads, but can be horrible people managers.

Encourage managers to create team loyalty by being nice to the staff. I know there is work to be done, but the Associates are smart folks chosen for a reason, and undermining them constantly makes for a bad work environment.

Booz Allen has grown

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Work life balance is very good. They are located everywhere which makes looking for jobs internall if you move very nice.

Cons

It has grown enormously and I don't know if the management has fully figured out how to handle it.

Work on cutting off some of the fluff in the company. There are too many employees for the work. Stop taking advantage of the government.

Great place to work, many opportunities

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

This place is absolutely full of some of the most educated, optimistic, intelligent and flexible people I have ever worked with. For the most part, Associates and below make excellent employees, collaborators and friends. I have felt challenged and full of great things to do.

Cons

Many of the large contracts run by Booz Allen are so far distanced from the company that many employees become more of a fixture in their individual contract than in the company at large.

Establish a track for those in the company who wish to continue to improve their skills in their chosen discipline, rather than requiring all managers to sell business and win contracts to get ahead.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos