Booz Allen Hamilton

2,219 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,338 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 294 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 112 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Declining

Current Employee - Lead Associate (Project Manager) in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Associate (Project Manager) in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a real opportunity to be entrepreneurial and build the skills that you're seeking.

Cons

You tend to get locked into federal contracting. It's not consulting. It's just helping overworked, understaffed federal employees do their job.

Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Profitable company always pays salary.

Cons

Publically traded. Growing and restructuring continuously.

It is an alright company.

Former Employee - Consultant Developer in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Consultant Developer in Rockville, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros are that salary and benefits. You may be on a small team, so you can get to know everyone. Free coffee and water.

Cons

Unstable. Your team may lose the contract. No training for fresh graduates.

Add training for new employees.

Once-Prestigious Firm Now Slashing Benefits

Current Employee - Lead Technologist/Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Technologist/Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The firm has built a good reputation over its many years of existence. For my market, people at the Principal level and below are good, upstanding. Meeting with your manager is usually license for a free lunch (at least in my management chain). Quarterly management meetings are a restaurant have been fun and good for network. The firm really came through and covered client-side people during the government shutdown in Fall 2013. The firm finally offers a career map for technologists and engineers, although it remains to be seen whether that will increase upward mobility. Internal social network is active and informative.

Cons

Benefits are being slashed on annual basis:
    - The retirement contribution, which was above average (10% of pay, but vested) when I joined, is at or below average now (6% of pay with 100% vesting at SIX YEARS).
    - The 2015 health insurance choices have been unveiled and they are OUTRAGEOUSLY BAD. The lowest plan is far worse (higher premium, higher OOP max, higher deductible) than the cheapest (and only) high-deductible plan last year. The only Aetna plans left are high-deductible, and the deductibles are way too high when compared to the premiums.) Pharmacy benefits also are subject to the same deductible now. I'm curious how many people the firm will lose over this.

There is an expectation that you make up non-billable hours (e.g. firm-mandatory training). You are expected to do an annual self-review, even though it's not required and you can't charge it. (None of this is particularly new.)

Lead associates and senior associates get overworked. They (especially lead associates) are expected to do management basically for free after putting in a full week being billable to the client.

You used to be able to count on job security at a big firm, but that is no longer the case. The lack-of-work notice comes as soon as you end your work on a contract and you have precious little time to find a new position before being shown the door. What is the point of working for such a large firm?

Sick time included in paid time off (which is four weeks for new Associates).

Attrition seems to be high.

Beef up your benefits before you lose all your top talent to better (especially smaller) companies.

Interesting work, requires internal networking for follow-on work

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for variety in work. Work with smart people and interesting projects. On the job training for skills and paid training for certifications. If your current project ends, management works with you to find other projects.

Cons

Sometimes work isn't ideal based on your skills and interests, depending on available projects. Networking internally nets more work but is often difficult due to team silos and client side work.

Downhill since Carlyle acquisition.

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, name still considered 'prestigious' in the market.

Cons

Benefits cut (medical slashed in 2015, ECAP gone), training hours have to be made up/paid back, promotion opportunities cut.

Your line of business is selling human capital to clients. Since the IPO and takeover by the Carlyle group, benefits have been cut - ECAP eliminated, training cut, all staff at 100% direct labor, no time or money for innovation (you may claim otherwise, making me work extra to work on projects that benefit the firm is bs). Cutting benefits and training pushes your best and most valuable workers to competitors or government jobs. Following low budget competitors like LM, SAIC, and Ledios in a 'race to the bottom' will only hurt the firm long term. The firm has completely changed from the past - it used to be the employer of choice for high end consulting. Not any more.

Nothing but lip service, horrible morale, and removal of benefits.

Current Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Once had a good name, might still be able to capitalize on that to get your next job.

Cons

When I first hired on (2007) I was promised repeatedly that Booz Allen Hamilton would "never again go public" due to how bad it had damaged the company in the past. They had an attractive benefits package, so I took a reduced salary.

For three years things were fine, until they did precisely what they promised they'd never do: They went public again.

Now the only people of ANY importance are the shareholders. Not the employees, even slightly. Despite getting "exceeds" on my yearly reviews for the past 3 years, I haven't gotten a raise because BAH "couldn't afford it."

Over the past 3 years, they have destroyed ALL benefits. First to go was the PTO, then the 401K, and starting in January, we lose the vast majority of our health benefits. (All while receiving no raises).

During this time, BAH brags to their stakeholders about how much more profitable they were than the year before. They send out E-Mails talking about how these changes will "save Booz Allen $200 million in the next year" all the while, they strip more, and more away from the employees that are actually earning that money.

The morale is at an all time low. On my contract, we started with 16 people. Over the past 2 years, I'm one of two of us that are left. They can't even get anyone in to backfill, and are down to just the 2 slots.

Avoid this company like the plague. It has failed to learn from its own past, and for the second time now it has killed the goose that laid the golden egg, with the guys at the top making millions of dollars while the guys actually doing the work aren't even given scraps.

The company needs to just be allowed to die the way it deserves to.

Figure out who it is that's actually making the money for the company. Bragging publicly that you "saved the company $200 million" while simultaneously stripping the workers of our healthcare is not a smart move.

Painful to Win a New Contract

Current Employee - Lead Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My colleagues are top-notch professionals, loyal and client-oriented. They remain flexible even though the client plays fast and loose with requests in and out of contract scope.

Cons

The client point of contact is challenging. Our new contract required the Firm to be creative in developing a methodology for customer service. To be competitive, the Firm "low-balled" the competition and programed staff losses and salary reductions. It was a business risk the Firm was prepared to take. While the staff was aware there was going to be a reduction (in staff and salary), the number we were given to prep ourselves to receive, was much lower than the number we have been asked to swallow (or move on).

A 25 percent salary reduction is more than you can expect ANYONE to accept in order to keep the Firm competitive in ANY market. If your intention was to "green" the staff, then you should say so. Loyalty goes both ways, but the staff is not so sure where yours is aimed. Communicate your intentions well-ahead of the execution of your plan and then keep updating the staff on variations of the original plan. Anybody can put a "butt in a client seat", but the Firm used to sell a reputation instead of butts.

Computer Technician.

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and perks. Plenty of opportunity to move up. Excellent "mentoring" system to help you along your career path.

Cons

Make sure you always have billable hours coming in. If your contract ends and they can't find another spot for you, you will be let go. Peer review system is a big hassle.

Amazing company culture, interesting work, so much room for growth, underpaid

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company Culture
    Company Volunteers for awesome events
    Room for Growth
    Interesting Projects, never gets old. You'll never feel stuck because they'll put you on new projects that are
    Company Name. As Booz wins more contracts, the company name keeps growing stronger and continues to look great on a resume

Cons

Compensation. Because Booz Allen deals with mostly government contracts, the margins are low and therefore pass on the low pay to its employees. The only thing missing about this company is the pay. For the quality work I do, I feel that I'm underpaid.

Pay your employees more