Booz Allen Hamilton

2,245 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,352 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

They earn their employees loyalty

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great employee support and benefits
    Full support for training ($ and time)
    Excellent compensation and retirement savings plan

Cons

Positions are often tied to contracts which always have a finite period of performance.

Simplify the tools available to employees. Annual assessments require us to access multiple sites (People Profile, Hello Profile, Career Central...). We should have a one stop shop for all of it.

Student Consultant Position

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

team oriented, tools available to learn the BAH way, very positive culture

Cons

I was just a student consultant. I was an unpaid position. No cons from my experience.

Ever notice most SA's and Principals are unmarried or divorced? Ask yourself why?

Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

--Young people are quite talented.
    --Great coffee--seriously, it was a little thing that was appreciated.
    --Reputation from years ago still carries some weight.
    --There are some good managers still around. If you can find one, get on their programs.
    --The good projects are interesting. They won't pay well, but nice people.
    --People dress professionally.
    --Good 401(k) match.

Cons

--Like "Lord of the Flies"? Then you'll love watching senior management undercut each other. This was depressing to see. Unfortunately, we underlings were treated like pawns in their squabbles.
    --Training? That's your own problem on your own dime.
    --Want a raise? Go somewhere else.
    --Enjoy 65-hour work weeks months at a time? Like work calls on Sunday AM? Perhaps this explains all the divorces!
    --Like bonuses only for executives (i.e. not the 65 hour work week people)? If you are not an executive (i.e. SA and above), you are not going to get anything other than a couple hundred bucks for a couple hundred extra hours worked--and not that's not an exaggeration. Ask around to confirm this.
    --Like work calls at home at 10:30 PM?

--Look at what your competitors are offering, and think about what you need to do in order to retain your key people. Why is your turnover so high and morale so low? Somebody needs to analyze this to stop the loss of talent. This trend can be fixed, but it is going to cost you something to do it.
    --Yes, 24-year-olds can do 70% of the work of 52-year-olds at 40% of the cost, but the epic fails of the 30% of the stuff they can't do, is highly damaging. The government is quickly realizing that the expensive bloat of top-heavy management, means there are cheaper and better companies to work with than Booz.
    --Discourage the in-fighting among SA's and Principals. This was such a turnoff to witness, that I had no interest in ever seeking to rise to that level at this company. I left.
    --You guys are being really cheap on training. Smaller companies know this and are snatching our best and brightest staff by offering this. Someone at 1-Dulles needs to figure this out.
    --I saw great young workers around me who made great impacts for the customer. Management took all the credit, took their bonuses, and the people who did the heavy lift got no bonus, no promotion, and no verbal accolades. Those guys left shortly after this.
    --Respect work/life balance. Occasional long hours are okay, but this should not be the norm. Expecting regular 10-12 hour days (without a dime of bonus) is a fast way to burn out your people, and wreck their family lives, if they put up with this longer than a year or two.
    --Rebuild Booz to what it was 10+ years ago. It can be done. You have some great people within, so don't burn them out or chase them off to greener pastures elsewhere.

No longer above market average

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work times
    Ability to travel
    Interesting work

Cons

Hotelling
    Constant cut backs on benefits and other perks (Insurance, transit, 401K)
    Dwindling salaries
    Seems like stakeholders are valued more than employees

Stop wasting money on HR overhauls and stop making insane benefits cuts to be "in line with the industry average". The point of working at BAH is that the firm is supposed to be above the industry average.

Great opportunities for flexibility of work/career track, but culture of the company is diluting

Current Employee - Management Consulting Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many opportunities for work, good compensation, flexibility in career track, many opportunities for training, tuition assistance, good benefits package

Cons

Firms is arguably too large and overpriced so less performance increases, no longer a clear differentiating factor in the market, little control over the direction of the firm

Identify a clear space in the market and be the best at it. We need to market ourselves in a way that makes us different from the other contracting companies, but we essentially look just like everyone else - just with a higher price tag. So we will eventually have to either lower our prices, or justify our price through unique offering.

Great Company

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Augusta, GA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, room for advancement, generally a great, well-regarded company

Cons

Heavy on the red tape. Contracting jobs are always temporary. This means that you can perform flawlessly and still get laid off when they lose the contract. Also, Booz's work in this area primarily involves shift-work. Shift work can take a heavy toll on family life, and involves frequent holiday and weekend work.

Happy with this company.

Stand behind their employees

Current Employee - Associate in Scott AFB, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Scott AFB, IL

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and above industry standard 401K contributions
    Go to great extents to retain employees when contracts end
    Good training support for continuing education ($ and time)

Cons

401K support coming down to industry standard (but still good)
    Contracts still end and they can't place everyone

Consolidate the career sites. Updating info still requires employees to access People, Hellos, and Career Central sites. Always confuses me.

Good On The Outside, Stale on the Inside

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was almost fully a telecommuter which was a great pro. The money was great for the small amount of work I did. The work was easy to me because I was basically occupying my old military position but paid 3 times the amount of money. Benefits were good at the beginning but dwindled down slowly in the 6 years I was at the firm. Most people were helpful and wanted you to success. Travel was great for some positions like mine. Definite resume shiner for the future!

Cons

Lots of hot air from upper management. When you're being told how good you are everyday you go with that. But when the project started drilling down, no one was anywhere to be found to help you find another project. Senior Associates could care less about those underneath them in most cases. Veterans like myself come to the table helping the firm make a LOT of money but you once they realize you aren't useful anymore you're out. Seems like, "Lack of Work" letters were more and more popular when I left. With the drill down of govt money and contracts, BAH is in trouble!

Pay attention to those who got you to your level! Listen to what they have to say and let those under you make some decisions instead of making the wrong decisions just because you can.

One size fits all

Former Employee - Associate Consultant
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

I was hired in late 2012 to join the Technology Group as an Associate.at Booz Allen Hamilton
    (it seems almost everyone at Booz Allen Hamilton is an Associate).

Cons

Sometime thereafter, there was a statement released by the company that no one below Senior Associate would be affected by a salary reduction due to sequestration --- but guess what?
    In 2014, I was given the option to take a 20% cut in salary or receive a "Lack of Work" letter.
    I chose the letter.

One of the core values which Booz Allen Hamilton claims to embrace is integrity.
    I always thought of integrity as being honest. Saying one thing and then going back on your word is not honest.

This is a company with a "one size fits all” mentality. The senior associates (mostly ex-military) in my
    office, who lacked college degrees, seemed to be always chasing certificates that they could
    hang on their office walls and include in their email signature block to impress others.

So, as the holiday season approaches to those who remain at Booz Allen Hamilton, I say BAH!

Here's what Booz Allen CEO Ralph Shrader and his heir apparent raked in last year!

Former Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

For Booz Allen Hamilton CEO Ralph Shrader, last year was a pretty good year. And it wasn’t bad for his heir apparent, either.
    The McLean-based company, which ended its fiscal 2014 March 31, paid its chief executive of 15 years a total of $3.25 million in compensation according to its proxy statement filed with the Securities & Exchange Commissio n Monday — about half of which was in salary. It's actually a bit of a dip from 2013's $3.8 million, but still considerably higher than the $2.52 million he got in 2012.
    Beyond salary, Shrader raked in nearly $800,000 in cash bonuses, about $600,000 in stock awards, and about $700,000 in “other compensation,” which includes mostly dividends on vested stock options and retirement contributions, as well as such things as club memberships, financial counseling, and medical plan contributions.

Cons

In 2015, Booz Allen is switching from a competitive health insurance benefit package to an employer cost saving high deductible plan. Employee costs will increase dramatically, as the 2015 insurance package has a $2600.00 family deductible before healthcare costs are covered. Prior to this switch, Booz Allen had an average $0 deductible plan.

Just keep on robing Peter to pay Paul!

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos