Booz Allen Hamilton

2,243 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,351 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

They earn their employees loyalty

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great employee support and benefits
    Full support for training ($ and time)
    Excellent compensation and retirement savings plan

Cons

Positions are often tied to contracts which always have a finite period of performance.

Simplify the tools available to employees. Annual assessments require us to access multiple sites (People Profile, Hello Profile, Career Central...). We should have a one stop shop for all of it.

Student Consultant Position

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

team oriented, tools available to learn the BAH way, very positive culture

Cons

I was just a student consultant. I was an unpaid position. No cons from my experience.

Ever notice most SA's and Principals are unmarried or divorced? Ask yourself why?

Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

--Young people are quite talented.
    --Great coffee--seriously, it was a little thing that was appreciated.
    --Reputation from years ago still carries some weight.
    --There are some good managers still around. If you can find one, get on their programs.
    --The good projects are interesting. They won't pay well, but nice people.
    --People dress professionally.
    --Good 401(k) match.

Cons

--Like "Lord of the Flies"? Then you'll love watching senior management undercut each other. This was depressing to see. Unfortunately, we underlings were treated like pawns in their squabbles.
    --Training? That's your own problem on your own dime.
    --Want a raise? Go somewhere else.
    --Enjoy 65-hour work weeks months at a time? Like work calls on Sunday AM? Perhaps this explains all the divorces!
    --Like bonuses only for executives (i.e. not the 65 hour work week people)? If you are not an executive (i.e. SA and above), you are not going to get anything other than a couple hundred bucks for a couple hundred extra hours worked--and not that's not an exaggeration. Ask around to confirm this.
    --Like work calls at home at 10:30 PM?

--Look at what your competitors are offering, and think about what you need to do in order to retain your key people. Why is your turnover so high and morale so low? Somebody needs to analyze this to stop the loss of talent. This trend can be fixed, but it is going to cost you something to do it.
    --Yes, 24-year-olds can do 70% of the work of 52-year-olds at 40% of the cost, but the epic fails of the 30% of the stuff they can't do, is highly damaging. The government is quickly realizing that the expensive bloat of top-heavy management, means there are cheaper and better companies to work with than Booz.
    --Discourage the in-fighting among SA's and Principals. This was such a turnoff to witness, that I had no interest in ever seeking to rise to that level at this company. I left.
    --You guys are being really cheap on training. Smaller companies know this and are snatching our best and brightest staff by offering this. Someone at 1-Dulles needs to figure this out.
    --I saw great young workers around me who made great impacts for the customer. Management took all the credit, took their bonuses, and the people who did the heavy lift got no bonus, no promotion, and no verbal accolades. Those guys left shortly after this.
    --Respect work/life balance. Occasional long hours are okay, but this should not be the norm. Expecting regular 10-12 hour days (without a dime of bonus) is a fast way to burn out your people, and wreck their family lives, if they put up with this longer than a year or two.
    --Rebuild Booz to what it was 10+ years ago. It can be done. You have some great people within, so don't burn them out or chase them off to greener pastures elsewhere.

No longer above market average

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work times
    Ability to travel
    Interesting work

Cons

Hotelling
    Constant cut backs on benefits and other perks (Insurance, transit, 401K)
    Dwindling salaries
    Seems like stakeholders are valued more than employees

Stop wasting money on HR overhauls and stop making insane benefits cuts to be "in line with the industry average". The point of working at BAH is that the firm is supposed to be above the industry average.

Great Company

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Augusta, GA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, room for advancement, generally a great, well-regarded company

Cons

Heavy on the red tape. Contracting jobs are always temporary. This means that you can perform flawlessly and still get laid off when they lose the contract. Also, Booz's work in this area primarily involves shift-work. Shift work can take a heavy toll on family life, and involves frequent holiday and weekend work.

Happy with this company.

Stand behind their employees

Current Employee - Associate in Scott AFB, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Scott AFB, IL

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and above industry standard 401K contributions
    Go to great extents to retain employees when contracts end
    Good training support for continuing education ($ and time)

Cons

401K support coming down to industry standard (but still good)
    Contracts still end and they can't place everyone

Consolidate the career sites. Updating info still requires employees to access People, Hellos, and Career Central sites. Always confuses me.

Good On The Outside, Stale on the Inside

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was almost fully a telecommuter which was a great pro. The money was great for the small amount of work I did. The work was easy to me because I was basically occupying my old military position but paid 3 times the amount of money. Benefits were good at the beginning but dwindled down slowly in the 6 years I was at the firm. Most people were helpful and wanted you to success. Travel was great for some positions like mine. Definite resume shiner for the future!

Cons

Lots of hot air from upper management. When you're being told how good you are everyday you go with that. But when the project started drilling down, no one was anywhere to be found to help you find another project. Senior Associates could care less about those underneath them in most cases. Veterans like myself come to the table helping the firm make a LOT of money but you once they realize you aren't useful anymore you're out. Seems like, "Lack of Work" letters were more and more popular when I left. With the drill down of govt money and contracts, BAH is in trouble!

Pay attention to those who got you to your level! Listen to what they have to say and let those under you make some decisions instead of making the wrong decisions just because you can.

One size fits all

Former Employee - Associate Consultant
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

I was hired in late 2012 to join the Technology Group as an Associate.at Booz Allen Hamilton
    (it seems almost everyone at Booz Allen Hamilton is an Associate).

Cons

Sometime thereafter, there was a statement released by the company that no one below Senior Associate would be affected by a salary reduction due to sequestration --- but guess what?
    In 2014, I was given the option to take a 20% cut in salary or receive a "Lack of Work" letter.
    I chose the letter.

One of the core values which Booz Allen Hamilton claims to embrace is integrity.
    I always thought of integrity as being honest. Saying one thing and then going back on your word is not honest.

This is a company with a "one size fits all” mentality. The senior associates (mostly ex-military) in my
    office, who lacked college degrees, seemed to be always chasing certificates that they could
    hang on their office walls and include in their email signature block to impress others.

So, as the holiday season approaches to those who remain at Booz Allen Hamilton, I say BAH!

Booz Allen Hamilton, shame on you.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

At this moment, I cannot think of one positive thing about the company, except that perhaps among the few long term employees left in the company, there are a handful that are a cut above the rest, they actually do follow the "culture" and are all about integrity. Integrity is a word they like to throw out there as often as possible, but it seems that 90% of the employees are clueless about what integrity is or plainly just do not care.

Cons

They have let go of thousands of life long employees just so they can be replaced with cheaper, less qualified versions if replaced at all. People who have dedicated 30 years to the company are just discarded like trash without even thinking of the sacrifices, countless sleepless nights to meet deadlines, not spending time with your family because you were busy trying to make them money, health issues anywhere from back and neck problems, to high blood pressure, heart issues, stomach issues, mental problems, depression, you name it. But all in all, they all remained loyal and all it got them was a shove out the door as they said we really appreciate all you have done, but... The big BUT is people don't matter, the bottom dollar does.

Go private again. You realized you made a mistake at going public many moons ago and went private, which I'm sure cost a pretty penny and here you are repeating the same stupid mistake and hard working individuals are paying the price. Take a good look at who the managers are and if they really deserve to be there. I have seen a lot of good managers let go because of $$. You need to understand that just because manager X is making less than manager Y, does not mean you will save money by keeping manager X. Manager X will cost you more $$ in the long run with employees quitting or missed deadlines and lack of motivation and drive from their team members If you want to save money, take some of the fat from the top so you can afford to keep quality and loyal employees that give it their all and then some. Some higher ups can live with making 25k to 50k a year. Also, give back the benefits you have cut. The way things are going, sooner than later employees are going to have to start paying the company if they want to keep their job.

Still a Good Old Boy Network

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (more than 3 years)

Pros

Booz Allen offer a attractive 401K plan. Another benefit is the opportunity to lead a team of smart, talented people.

Cons

There are too many cons to list so I will try my best to narrow my comments. I worked in Booz Allen for 4 years, I was at the Senior Leadership in the Federal Government before being hired by Booz. When I accepted to work for Booz, I came to the firm with a roledex full of potential clients and years of experience as a client myself who had hired many of Booz Allen employees in the past. I was brought into the company at the high end Associate level and was made Team Lead within 6 months.With my level of experience, I should have come into the firm at the Senior Associate level or higher but that was not the case. After being in the firm for a while, I observed employees with not even a fraction of my experience or who had held the high visibility positions asiI had previously held either come in at the Senior Associate level or quickly be promoted simply because of the good old boy network. Because I was prior government and most of my clients were my former peers, they would mentioned to me on numerous occasions that their assessment of Booz Allen Senior Associate was very poor and that they didn't have a lot of confidence in their ability to support the client, this is a huge con for Booz Allen. Another con is that if you are not placed on a capability team/market that is in high demand, your chances of being fired for "Lack of work" is very high. I watch this happen to many of my colleagues simply because they were on the wrong team. Now that I am back in the government in a Senior Leaders position, the chances of me wanting to hire Booz Allen to support any of my high Acquisition contracts is slim to none!

My advice to Booz Allen is to pay attention to who you are hiring, especially if they are prior government at the Senior Leadership level. Know your employees worth and stop hiring new employees at the catch all Associate level no matter how much experience the potential candidate may have. Your employees today could be your potential clients in the future so get rid of the unspoken "Good old Boys" system and recognize true leaders. There is no "Secret Sauce" in Booz Allen anymore, the firm is just another ambulance chaser!

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos