Booz Allen Hamilton

2,290 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,369 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

A good company to consider working for.

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good technology and benefits packages. Company definitely promotes working as a team and I found that all of the employees I met or worked with were quality people. Good investment plan and standard vacation benefits.

Cons

Salaries are a lower than some of the other companies I've seen but that also may be relative to your own experience. Experienced them winning with lower bids and replacing their own people with lower salaried employees. May have difficulty moving around in the company in the same local area if you are not skilled in required core business or skill sets needed.

Still better than most government contractors, but no longer great.

Current Employee - Senior Lead Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Lead Engineer

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the government business, you're truly working along side individuals who are a cut above the rest in the industry. I still believe the government believes this as well, although new imposed purchasing requirements limit Booz Allen's contracts.

Cons

Benefits? Increased pressure to sure-up the bottom line has led to drastic cuts and reductions in employee benefits. They may be more on par with industry but are a far cry from what the firm was known for...

Stop reinventing the firm's organizational structure every 2-3 years. It creates instability, conveys desperation to the staff, and introduced undue disorder. Revenue down while profits are up... year over year. Sounds good to the shareholders, but at the expense of the culture built over the last 100 years.

Great experience!

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Have met some very smart people during my tenure. The firm offered a variety of work experiences, mostly at client-site, and personal growth. It makes a huge difference if your career manager really knows who you are.

Cons

Found it challenging to move from one short-term project to another.

Seem to be a lot of short-term and not enough longer-term projects available. It makes things harder when someone does not have a security clearance.

Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Worthwhile mission, training opportunities, people

Cons

Constricted growth remains a challenge

Make sure you come in at the right level

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A good place for a short time, could be a good stepping stone for some.

Cons

Very difficult to make it to the next level.

Compensation is not as good as competitors

Once you join the firm, you have to start the job hunting process all over again to get placed on a project.

Decent place with benefits, but not a good first professional job

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Belcamp, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Belcamp, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (less than a year)

Pros

benefits
    some degree of flexibility
    relatively stable
    educational allowance

Cons

few software engineers
    employees are narcissists
    little collaboration
    not a pure software job

Too much overhead

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Great structure, most ranks are possible to earn, decent review and evaluation process, managers have a lot of pride in the company

Cons

There is an overall distant feel between contractors and the company itself. Those on overhead, primarily admin positions, are treated as essential pieces to the company while contractors are pushed to their work sites to make the overhead. BAH has tons and tons of computer based training for their employees, which is awesome, but its buried under hundreds of links and pages that make no sense. Finally, they encourage employees to take surveys about their core areas but never address the results or implement any suggestions.

Embrace contractors more and make the company more to the employees than just a pay check distributor. Utilize contractors for their knowledge and expertise in more than just filling billets; do as you claim to do and use them to "innovate" and change the way things are done. There is an incredible amount of knowledge tucked away at client sites that you have no idea about.

So-so company, abhorrent management

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Ok salary, steady work.

Cons

The management under which I was employed was nearly 100% incompetent. I dated to do my job the way my job should be done, and got, consequently, black balled for it. My management decided to continually bad-mouth me to our customer (which I actually found out from the customers' mouth), and completely lied about the endeavor. I left the company with a bad taste in my mouth.

Uphold your integrity. Just like the company says.

Booz Allen is no longer an industry leader

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (more than 5 years)

Pros

Up until these past few months, Booz Allen was an employer of choice. The company valued it's employees and aggressively worked to ensure they had industry leading benefits and a top notch work environment.

Cons

Unfortunately, Booz Allen's desire to maximize shareholder profits has turned this once great firm into a second-rate consulting firm. In 2015, Booz Allen is switching from a competitive health insurance benefit package to an employer cost saving high deductible plan. Employee costs will increase dramatically, as the 2015 insurance package has a $2600.00 family deductible before healthcare costs are covered. Prior to this switch, Booz Allen had an average $0 deductible plan. For a family of four, Booz Allen just increased my family's health insurance bill by $2600.00. It's time to look for a new employer.

Stop focusing on shareholder profits when they come at the expense of your employees.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

good people, interesting work, learn something new every day

Cons

working on client site, and having difficult clients

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos