Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
2378 reviews filtered by

Full time as Associate for more than 3 years

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance and good benefit. Provided necessary professional training.

Cons

Company policy is constantly changing.

When it was a private company it was good, once it went public they no longer cared about their people.

Former Employee - Senior Network Security Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Network Security Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of support for the projects that you are working on.

Cons

BAH no longer values its employees

3. Great company that takes seriously the quality of it's workforce

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked with a great team of people focused on the mission and delivering great results for the clients. Lots of opportunities to grow professionally, including skills training and management experience. A strong culture of knowledge sharing and cooperation across the company.

Cons

It's a large company spread all over the world and sometimes decisions tend to be overly bureaucratic. They move as fast as possible in the world of government contracting, but it can be frustrating at times.

Maintain the focus on quality of service to the client and continue developing the people as a resource more important than quarterly profits. Long-term investments in people and relationships are more important than short-term gains in productivity and earnings.

Lost Its Reputation

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When BAH was privately held, the reputation was valid. We were an ethical company that provided a good return on the clients' investments in us. The firm supported the employees with great benefits (ECAP) and kept people on when a contract ended or a position was de-scoped while they (both the employee and the firm) looked for another contract. I felt valued and well compensated.

Cons

That all changed when the Carlyle Group bought out the private side. After a couple of years, the BAH leadership took the firm public. And everything went downhill from there. It was clear that the shareholders were the most important part of the equation. People were no longer kept on whilst looking for another contract, wages began to freeze, raises (if you were lucky enough to get one) went from 6% (my average) to 1% within a year (and I had the best performance review I'd ever had!). The quality of people hired was far below what it had been due to the lower salary they began offering. Many of the best leaders left the firm or were let go after years of employment. Benefits were cut drastically. The ECAP became a 401K with standard matching. With ECAP, the firm contributed an average of 10% of my salary while I never contributed a dime. With the 401K, I was required to contribute and with the matching, the total was far less than the ECAP.

Even though the compensation and benefits decreased, the expectations of the firm remained the same: MUST work on proposals (above your billable hours), the assessment process ("revised" almost annually to "improve" the process) remained time consuming and ridiculous (even though one can only record 8 hours for the effort), and the ethics which had been so valued began to erode. I personally brought an ethics violation to my management, it was investigated, and even though all agreed it was a serious violation (on top of other well documented performance issues), the firm decided to retain the employee because "we need the billable hours he/she brings in".

Go private! It was a disaster the first time and it's a disaster now. Clients are starting to realize that the Booz Allen Hamilton they thought they knew is no longer. Become ethical again! Get rid of unethical employees and show those that are ethical how much you appreciate them. It's sad what has happened to a once great company.

6. One of the Better Large Government Contractors

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Belcamp, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Belcamp, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Core values are more than a sign on the wall. Aggressive growth and business expansion mindset. Lots of quality people. Dedication to innovation.

Cons

Political (surprise!). "Client's always right" even when the client is very deeply wrong. DC-centric. Newly acquired focus on bill-ability. "Innovation" is only focused on new "products" (one tenth of what innovation actually is)

Need to decide if BAH is a consulting firm or a engineering labor firm. Stop trying to build an sell products (not your core capability).

7. Worked there six years, mostly great experiences

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Decent pay
    Work life balance
    Career Opportunities
    People focused
    Training/Higher Ed opps

Cons

Depends mostly on your client and direct project team just like any other consulting firm, but can't really think of any cons.

Continue programs and approaches that made Booz Allen great. Hope it doesn't change now that it's a public company.

A lot of ups and downs over six years

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you can find the right team, then enjoy the experience.

I've moved teams 5 times in 6+ years in order to find a better experience for myself. In many cases, I had to navigate the company myself, which can be confusing. The confusion arises from the idea that you CAN be matrixed out to another team but then your teams Principal may (or may not) receive a bonus. Principals receive compensation for the numbers on their team, so they don't like to matrix people out even if the position is exactly what you want, because they'll lose money.

It took me 4 years to find a good career manager and 5 years to find a good technical lead.

Cons

There can be very little engagement from management. Benefits change on an annual basis and they've become more expensive over the past 4 years, with the direct response from management that we need to "remain competitive." The once great 401k plan, ECAP, has been adjusted from 10% down to 6%. This sounds reasonable except that this was a major fringe benefit and was once used to attract talent.

BAH also suffers from identity problems; are we a technology and data science company OR are we consultants. Many times you get the line "why can't we be both" which is admirable but unrealistic.

Rebuild your office culture and pick an identity. Otherwise, you're just fighting a battle against yourself and your employees are suffering.

Average big consulting firm

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

The people at Booz are generally friendly and approachable. The firm is very large, so there are lots of opportunities, especially for those with an IT bent.

Cons

The firm is so large, it can be easy to get "lost." A lot of your job satisfaction will depend on your immediate team and who you report to.

Invest more in hiring smarter people. Most of the people at Booz are friendly and good people, but I'm not overly impressed by their intellect.

10. Approaching Two Years and Still Impressed

Current Employee - Associate III in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate III in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Professional, credible, impressive, and driven employees. Great work environment and culture. Opinions and ideas of personnel at all levels is routinely sought and genuinely appreciated. If client facing, contract expiration does not immediately mean loss of employment - assistance provided to find billable work.

Cons

Annual pay raises and promotion process not fully understood by some individuals and first-line supervisors.

11. Senior leader

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Challenging work. you are exposed to tremendous breadth of business experiences that are challenging to get other places. Many times you get to explore your dreams. Benefits are great. Good 401K plan.. though used to be better.

Cons

Transition to a public firm has changed the firm dramatically placing business above people. While the pay is good, the work is quite demanding. Work life balance is up to the employee, but it is hard to balance. Firm is becoming more of a top down leadership style. Used to be much more distributed. The mid level leadership is loosing trust in the ability of the seniors to drive the company.

From a culture perspective, go back to your roots. It bonds the staff to the firm. This should help retention and attract the best and brightest.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos