Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
2402 reviews filtered by

1. Great/Excellent in early years, decline in employee motivation, leadership, work-life balance in recent years.

Former Employee - Lead Associate (Project Manager) in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Associate (Project Manager) in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great internal training. Production expectations and demands to work evenings/weekends without compensation provides appreciation for next company with same compensation.

Cons

Following recent changes company unable to retain or motivate employees which would increase company's value to clients and their bottom-line.

Advice to Management

Understand company changes. Still need to motivate/lead employees enabling retention of best staff, improved business reputation and ability maintaining/winning work.

2. Electro-Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love supporting the Military

Cons

How to figuer out about Getting there to work

3. Good company; culture is changing

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Great teammates, great clients, high-quality assignments and projects

Cons

Culture is changing, it's harder to see the differentiation Booz Allen has typically strived for.

Advice to Management

Your people are your most important asset; you need to realize this as quickly as possible or you will continually see people leaving.

5. A great place to work with lots of room to move around

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Richmond, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Telework options and a strong support network

Cons

When at the office the dress code is far too proper

Advice to Management

Ease up on the review process

6. Internship Experience in DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

I got the opportunity to control the amount of work I received while working with other full-time employees. I was ambitious so I loaded my plate with quite a lot, but I was able to meet the required deadlines. I was checked on by my career manager to make sure I was headed int he right direction in order for me to have a successful internship experience. After a while, once I acclimated to the my new environment my career manager took more of a hands off approach. To clarify, when I mean "checked on", she asked if I had any questions and just seeing how things were going. They don't want you to fail. The firm has a ton of networking/social events for you to connect with other interns and upper level employees. These events are paid for in full, so no out of the pocket cost. Also, at theses events you are able to get an idea of the other areas of business Booz Allen is involved. You can possibly leverage these relationships and work in an area of the firm that you are more interested in. You are given challenging work that and they treat you as though you are a full-time employee not as a typical intern. The best thing you can do is to always ask question if you don't understand something and they are more than willing to assist you.

Cons

You may have to take some work home with you dependent on who you decided to work with. I had the option of not completing the deliverable the next working day, but I was working with someone who had high expectations and who barely slept. I didn't want to let him down. I had the opportunity of working on an amazing team so I don't have any other cons except the first one.

Advice to Management

N/A

7. Booz Allen Hamilton

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, reasonable work-life balance, talented staff

Cons

Recent reductions to benefits make the firm less appealing, heavy focus on marketing despite introduction of technical career track, health insurance options are terrible

8. Team oriented, innovative, flexible company

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on a variety of tasks with highly qualified members of different functional teams. Great benefits, maternity leave and 401k and training opportunities beat most companies. Most positions offer some flexibly in schedule; however, this is typically based on the client and contract.

Cons

Managers are very busy doing marketing and proposal work. Employees need to think like an entrepreneur to get ahead. This is a pro for growing and sustaining business but junior staff sometimes feel does make sense and from what I recall, mapping billets to functions was the logical next step. lost. I recommend that new staff find a couple mentors to help learn the culture and navigate the firm. Be assertive to take advantage of career development opportunities or shift to another team, don't wait for management to do these things for you.

Advice to Management

Increase investment in the networking events like speed networking, brown bags and happy hours that build relationships across teams. Those relationships are what sets the firm apart from other defense contractors.

Quite Satisfied, but it all depends on your group

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

My group supports a great work-life balance, which is important to me because I have two young kids. My salary is competitive and above average for my Associate level, and my client is fantastic, so I am very lucky there. Benefits are competitive, including a little-known $2500 for each employee each year to seek out certifications, which is on top of tuition reimbursement. Booz Allen is widely known to have a great reputation. You keep your client happy, and Booz Allen is happy, and so far that has come back around full circle in compensation to me.

Cons

Like any large corporate engine, it can take a lot to get things, especially more expensive things, accomplished. But, that being said, if it's reasonable, it benefits the client, and there is a budget for it, it just needs to be justified adequately and the Firm will typically support it.

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding top performers. Money is the number one motivator!

3.5 years, at least I got a clearance

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

recognition, lots of contracts, stability during shutdown

Cons

snooty, cut throat, apathetic leadership

11. Great culture

Former Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people at Booz Allen are great, there's an emphasis on career/professional development, and the firm has high ethical standards

Cons

Mobility and diversity between assignments is very limited as you move up in the ranks

Advice to Management

In today's constrained environment make full use of the things you can control - enabling consultants to gain wider exposure to various clients/types of assignments.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos