Booz Allen Hamilton

2,135 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,294 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 283 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance (in 103 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

working for Booz

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with smart people ....

Cons

the whole management model. You can be managed by a team that does not have anything to do with the client that you are working on. and you raised is based on how well your team is doing. it's very confusing.

Good benefits, interesting work, difficult integration, dependent on geography and problematic competitive environment

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Good benefits, great health and industry standard retirement.
    - Competitive salaries.
    - Interesting work. There is the possibility of working across multiple teams and disciplines.
    - High-quality co-workers. There are many intelligent people working for Booz Allen and there is the opportunity to interact across the firm where employees can learn from the best.

Cons

- I worked for a company that was acquired by Booz Allen almost two years ago. The integration has been difficult leading to a lot of uncertainty and loss of talent. We moved to the larger firm’s offices and we are kept at arm’s length leading to diminished local opportunities. It seems like we are two separate companies sharing an office and can be uncomfortable because of differing cultures. It is not like this for all offices. I have visited other Booz Allen offices and worked with them without experiencing the same discomfort that is in my own office. However, some of my same-division-colleagues have relayed similar issues.
    - Advancement depends on work, this isn’t really a con it is reality of the business. I work in a smaller market and try to advance through virtualization (a great alternative if the client is willing) and working with other offices in larger markets. The little I interact with my in-office colleagues they seem frustrated by an ability to be promoted. It is problematic but difficult for those working on a client site and don’t have the opportunity to build new business because of the nature of their work and size of the market.
    - Booz Allen is a premium consulting firm and values efficiency and intelligence, that’s a good thing. However, the firm is costly and their main client is the federal government and that means that cost can be the most important factor in winning work. The firm does take extraordinary steps to remain competitive but also resorts to proposals for less than exciting opportunities (that’s where the money, however much, is sometimes) and bidding lower than in previous efforts leading to diminished benefits and compensation. An unfortunate business reality.

Fully integrate acquisitions. It will be painful and there will be complaints and some will leave but in the end it has to happen. Two dress codes, two training regimens, two holiday calendars, two sets of policies and alienation by separation employees is not good for morale.

BAH cares about it's personnel and works diligently to increase market share and keep it's employees engaged.

Current Employee - EOD Analyst  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - EOD Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunities to continue serving your country post-military.

Cons

Opportunities are restricted to geographic locations around military installations.

BAH upper management are pseudo-military. More time and energy is wasted on sexual harassment training than on core competency training IOT give the appearance of walking in lock-step with DOD.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredible experience - Met talented, friendly, and great people. Flexible work hours, great life balance

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really enjoyed the people and experience as a whole - Pentagon was a cool place to work at. Both client and Booz co-workers were great. Hours can't be beat, was rarely asked to work a minute over 40 hours. Got 3 weeks vacation and 6% $ for $ 401k matching.

Cons

Money doesn't seem to be all that competitive anymore. Benefits in general took a massive hit since the company went public and are continuing to decline. Our CEO keeps sending mass emails saying how great the company is doing as the profit increases while our revenue decreases. I wonder how they are able to accomplish this...

Stop cutting basic benefits and salaries. Gotta draw the line between reasonable cost savings and completely losing the ability to hire talented employees. This only works short term until talented people begin to leave gradually.

Professional Firm

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Strategic Communications  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Strategic Communications in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Booz Allen Hamilton has a very great benefits package for all of their employees. They understand that personal situations happen and have a wonderful amount of flexibility for most of the work.

Cons

The firm is growing quickly and this is a positive sign, although that brings with it extra work to do. Nothing else that can be considered a 'con'.

None.

Great place to start your career

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great, smart people to work with; challenging assignments that will push you to grow; lots of opportunity if you know where to look and who to talk to. Fair pay and benefits, and leadership generally tries to listen to employees but may take awhile to take action. Very open to telework and high employee autonomy as long as you get the work done. New career tracks offer more opportunity for technical and functional experts to reach upper leadership levels. In general, the company has come through the government market decline in good form without having to lay off a ton of employees.

Cons

Highly political and hierarchical, especially on the corporate side. Lots of change that can be hard for some employees to handle. Promotions more based on who you know than what you do.

Great! Entry Level Job

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Knowledgeable people, very fast pace work, everyone is proficient and above, volunteer work

Cons

pay raises, promotions, closing offices

Focus more on employee than stock holders

Great learning experience

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, amazing work hours, an easy way to get a clearance, and very flexible.

Cons

Reviews are very stressful, can get very busy at times (especially Q4).

Awesome!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met so many interesting, skilled, and unique people at Booz. Everyone seemed like they really wanted to work there. I always felt welcome and valued as an employee and team member. Very professional environment to work in and I met a lot of people that I am still friends with outside of the company. It is a good work culture and very positive experience overall.

Cons

Office location created a long commute for me. Compensation was good, but advancement was somewhat challenging. When I chose to leave, I did not appreciate the tongue lashing I received from my boss's boss. My boss was amazing, but her boss was definitely a character.

Great Company to Build Your Consulting Career

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

BAH has all the benefits of a large consultancy (extensive in-house training, competitive salary, variety of industries). This allows junior staff to receive comprehensive training on the basics of management consulting as well as more advanced training on Project Management, Strategic Planning and industry specific certifications. Your personal growth is all dependant on how much you take charge of all the opportunities available to you.

Cons

It can be difficult at times to get onto projects that are not within your organizational team, resulting in difficulty gaining a diversity in project experience. Also, you must "own your brand" to be successful. This means networking, attending additional training outside of the required training classes and pitching yourself to senior colleagues to build your reputation as a great asset.

While the organization has gone through various changes (private-equity purchase, reorganization, scandal). The company has done a sufficient job to separate the brand from the negative press. It is going to be important to develop a comprehensive strategy to attract and retain new talent that will help the firm retain and gain a competitive edge in the marketplace.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!