Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Reset

2,567 Employee Reviews

1. Lead Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A variety of interesting challenges across the government and business. Lots of team opportunities. Good awards and recognition program.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are difficult after reaching Lead Associate Uncompensated after-hours business development activities can tax you

Advice to Management

Organizational climate assessments are very revealing -- share the results with ALL of your employees.

2. Sr. Consultant

Former Employee - Environnemental Professional
    Former Employee - Environnemental Professional

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

- Good Work / Life Balance - Promotions based on documented performance assessments - Involved in the community - The most diverse working environment I have worked at both professionally and culturally - Family focused - Leadership looked out for employees during down times

Cons

- Performance reviews could be biased depending one what clique/group you were a part of - Managers needed quota of underlings to make performance quotas preventing people from branching out into other jobs/contracts as they would like. - Depending on what contracts you were on job security could be fickle however, this also applies to most government contract work. - Job training/education not actively promoted or encouraged, funding was available but was budget dependent and required Sr. leadership approval.

Advice to Management

I left before the implementation of a new assessment structure however, during my time assessments were based on people that you selected to represent you. This meant that the review process could be very political and subjective. I believe this system also allowed managers to keep employees in certain positions opposed to having them grow into other areas. Overall my experience was positive, I knew that my managers were doing their best to keep me and others on my team billable. I had good communication with my leadership and felt there was a sense of mutual respect.

3. Lead Associate

Current Employee - Financial Manager in Mc Lean, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Manager in Mc Lean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay if you demand it.

Cons

company has changed a lot over the past few years and not for the better.

5. Give Credit Where Credit Is Due

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of strategic thinkers...flexible work environment. Generally, friendly people.

Cons

Promotions to the senior levels often were not supported by a valid business case but based on "favorites." If you're not a loud mouth, others will claim credit for your business development successes or be given "co-credit" whe it is not warranted...but you're the one working the late nights, weekends.

Advice to Management

Be consistent with promotion cases. If you are going to insist on senior-level promotions requiring a certain dollar threshold for new business built in order to get promoted, require the same measures for everyone being promoted to the particular level. Also, stop prejudging who is a "rock star," "superstar" whatever...you'd be surprised who is actually cultivating relationships,writing proposals and doing the heavy lifting to win new business.

Typical benefits and shortcomings of a large consulting firm

Current Employee - Defense Research Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Defense Research Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good salaries - Focus on staff development - Great place to begin a career - Opportunities for interesting work

Cons

- Poor medical benefits - Cuts to 401k plan - Cuts to PTO - Challenging to get promoted unless you want to pursue a management career tract - Misguided

Advice to Management

Focus on cultivating the staff necessary to deliver, rather than trying to spin shortcomings as a positive.

7. New Hire, limited perspective

Current Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

The initial training ("onboarding" in the corporate vernacular) was reasonable in duration and scope. It took place over two days in the Washington, DC area.

Cons

I haven't seen the cons yet. Many outsiders seem to respect the company, and of course the insiders will, too.

Advice to Management

I'm still too new to reasonably be expected to solve the company's problems, but there is a 20 word minimum.

8. BAH

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Great company, great people, competitive benefits, take care of people, even at end of a task assignment, good mentors accessible within the Firm

Cons

None yet that I have experienced. I hate to have to type so many (20 words) words to say what I can say in only six....

Advice to Management

Ask down the chain to harness the energy

9. Mediocre

Current Employee - District of Columbia in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - District of Columbia in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible working hours; ability to work from home; relatively easy work; some intelligent colleagues and generally competent management

Cons

Disengaging work, poor compensation, focus on shareholders over current employees, focus on short term profit rather than long term volume, essentially becoming a contractor body shop

Advice to Management

Focus on Booz Allen's history, which was to provide real consulting services rather than scrapping the assets of the firm for the benefit of outside shareholders

Okay company but full of bs

Former Employee - Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reputation, some good contract opportunities, nice people

Cons

Low pay, not a lot of opportunity to move around as advertised, no supervision from senior leadership so mid-level managers can run amuck and chase great employees away. Some of these senior associates do not deserve their roles.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and enforce ethics code. When a senior associate has 4+ complaints by women in a years time obviously something is wrong. Remove the associate instead of letting employees go after being threatened!

11. Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Consultant Level II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant Level II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like working on projects and programs that make me feel like I am contributing to the greater good and that my work matters.

Cons

There is a lot of arrogance either the personnel in this company and Booz Allen does not compensate (pay) employees a fair salary for his/her role and level of responsibility.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at what employees are being paid compared to other industry leaders/competitors.

Showing 2,567 of 2,609 reviews