Booz Allen Hamilton

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Lexington Park, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Lexington Park, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being a consultancy, sometimes it's hard to keep connected with your employees; however BAH makes great efforts to keep staff integrated with their home base. The employees at BAH are thorough, committed, honest, and trustworthy; the hiring filter is truly excellent (although some duds do slip through the cracks). BAH also encourages advancement and does everything in their power to help you go wherever you want in your career. I also have never worked anywhere that was so open and easy to work with. It truly is a great place to work.

Cons

Working on client site can be challenging at times as far as VPN access, and when you work as a consultant (as many know) there's no forgiving time off, no leaving early, etc. It's all accountable time.

A great company to work for!

Former Employee - Staffing
    Former Employee - Staffing

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

When I was working there I found it to be a very enjoyable environment.
    Everyone was always willing to help me. I also noticed that the divisions
    seemed to help each other out; verses being in competition with each other.

Cons

I guess if I have to come up with a con; it would be that they had too many mandatory conference calls I was asked to be on that were not relevant to my position.

Really dependent on your team, but my experience was excellent - great team and good infrastructure.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It really depends on your team, but I had a great team of people. We worked fairly independently of the rest of Booz Allen - almost like a startup within a bigger company where we had ample resources, but freedom to work on our own projects.

Cons

As a big company, you need to be where they need you to be. If you don't like it, it could be quite difficult to change your position, team, project.

Consider employees' feelings and desires more and match them to what they want to work on. This will lead to more effective work and better retention.

Pretty Good But Not Great

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Booz Allen was a great company for the most part. They encouraged corporate training opportunities, there were lots of networking opportunities, and there were usually enough projects available to stay billable to a client.

Cons

While I was at Booz Allen, it was obviously a company in transition. After expanding perhaps too much, the company was unable to maintain all of its employees, and began enforcing stricter rules regarding being "on the beach" and not billable to a client project. Sometimes managers were unable or unwilling to help place their folks on projects.

Continue to invest in your people -- this was one of the most important aspects of Booz Allen that should not go away. The 360 Review was sometimes a bit cumbersome or opaque, but overall I think the rigor was worth it. Continue with some sort of detailed review process similar to this.

Review

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Good People with a lot of experience

Cons

Expensive cost structure for clients

N/A

Good place to work

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Work Life Balance and Fun

Cons

Not many to speak of

Keep in touch with subordinates

100 Years of Super Coolness

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

As a whole, Booz Allen is a fantastic place to work. 100 years old, committed to community service, diversity, and keeping it's superb reputation intact. Large enough a company that you can transfer internally without loosing tenure, opportunities to get certifications and continue your education are other nice factors. For the most part, you are surrounded by hard-working smart people, and you can count on the assessment system to eventually weed out the shirkers.

Cons

Some of the mid-level job managers or career managers are short-sighted, and operate within a cone of halo effect/bias. Out new health benefits are expensive - but probably still on par with market. Just hard to lose what we had before.

Consider peer pulse checks throughout the year for mid-level management to make sure they are not giving lip service to leadership values, and actually supporting staff as leaders and not managers.

Booz Allen in Transition

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Solid company with very good benefits. Personnel are collegial and collaborative. Management is accessible to employees. It is a client sensitive company. Pay appears competitive for this current market.

Many of the Booz Allen managers addressing the military are ex-military. The PRO is that this management has contacts in the military, understands how the military works, and can communicate with the military. There is a CON and that is listed below.

Cons

The CON to having primarily ex-military addressing the needs of current military is that they come from the came operational culture and therefore, may tend to reinforce existing military operational processes with few new improvement ideas.

Many higher paid senior non-management Subject Matter Experts have left the company, which may help the overall cost of employees but could impact Booz Allen's long standing diversity claims.

The management in place does not fully benefit from the diverse work history of it's employees because managers tend to define employers by the job they are currently doing.

The company also appears to be in transition from advisory work, which set Booz Allen above it's competitors, to possibly becoming another managed services firm which, over time, will detract from its' brand image.

Respect employees work history and what they can do, and could do, based on their work experience. Hire and promote business managers as well as retired military to address the military client's needs. Clients are burdened by budgetary restrictions and are may be less willing to pay for advisory work therefore, find a way to meet client's operational requirements within this fiscally competitive market, without sacrificing the Booz Allen brand image.

Associate, Lots of government consulting opportunity here

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people
    strong work / life balance
    strong government client base

Cons

compensation is on average lower than competition

Lead Associate 10+ Years @ BAH

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Executive leadership is for the most part is good and accessible. Positive change with new CEO for start of FY2016. Training and educational monies made available to staff are good but not the best in the market. Flex to work from home is good.

Cons

Poor benefits, 401k/retirement plan, poor work life balance boundaries. Don’t expect to be disconnected from the mother ship when you are on PTO. Core values with respects to people first feels more like DL & revenue first before you. If you are without a project, LOWs (Lack of Work letters) are sent out quickly. Minimal assistance from your team/direct leadership/resource management team with placing on you another project. Sad that they hire outside people and not help displaced staff be matrixed to new projects/work.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos