Booz Allen Hamilton

2,180 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,320 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 294 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 111 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Change ISN'T Always a Good Thing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Dedicated staff who work as a team to provide a Value-add for the client.

Cons

It's a business.....billability is more important than staff satisfaction.....we can get more staff - cheaper!

Gotta know when to hold 'em....gotta know when to fold 'em!

Booz Allen is not the company it once was

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Exposure to different skills, markets and networks.

Cons

Booz Allen hires consultants to perform client tasks but will also use your services for internal Booz Allen marketing, proposal, HR (assessments) and misc duties as required. The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality. Transparency with regard to pay and pay increases need to improve dramatically. Increases can be promised but often times nothing is formally documented. Therefore, seeking redress can be very difficult and time consuming. Also, women and minority have presence at the management and senior management levels, but are conspicuously invisible at higher corporate leadership levels.

Awesome to Awful, a 3 year spin

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The workload was great, the pay was competitive, it was a nice challenging engineering position with ARINC (which was bought out by BAH in 2012, and transitioned into the firm in 2013/2014). Benefits were par for the course, coworkers were friendly and agreeable, and for contract work, they do a good job of keeping people with billable work.

Cons

No promotion path, pitiful raises for even the top performers, citing economic reasons and the need to keep costs down to be competitive, and at the mercy of the people bidding for work. Better hope they bid good work for you instead of work that you're overqualified for. There's been a fairly large and concerning exodus of senior staff and management in the past year, and incoming work has gone from design and engineering to cable fabrication and manual labor. Benefits got "restructured" a few times (and restructuring is never to benefit the employee) and the job is nothing like it used to be

Internal promotions. Make people feel like staying could actually be beneficial. I've watched many younger employees come in, work 3-4 years, and go somewhere else to get a promotion to something they should have had a year or two ago. Managers come in, do a few projects and leave. Promotions could actually give this office some stability instead of the astronomical turnover rate that we currently experience.

A Company Evolving

Current Employee - Engineering Manager
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Booz Allen is very entrepreneurial. In many ways you are far more enabled to make mistakes and come back from them than most other companies.

Cons

The company is very disorganized. It tries to pursue many different lines of business and fails to execute on most of them with excellence. If you are in an area that is truly excellent, and there are some diamonds in the company, you will not have much mentorship in your business. This is sometimes a positive but more often thought of as a negative.

Pay closer attention to industry trends and competitors and learn more from their failures and successes.

Great is you like a type A environment

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Acceptable employee benefits and places worldwide to work

Cons

Processes are not always complete and the helpdesk can take days to respond to an issue.

Team Matters!

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall, my experience at Booz Allen has been good. That said, I'm on a really good team with Senior Leadership who supports my career goals. It is however important to note that getting promoted at Booz Allen can be a long process. Due to the fact most of Senior Leadership is retired military, promotions at Booz Allen have a tenancy to be based on tenure and not necessarily merit.

Cons

In general, Booz Allen is financially risk adverse. Thus, their not going to back (i.e.financially) an innovative out of the box idea if there's the slightest chance it'll fail and they can't recoup their initial investment. Furthermore, it's a very team oriented environment... you can luck out and get a great team that supports you or you can be unlucky and get a team that's steered by an individual just trying to save his/her job. It really is the luck of the draw! Also, I wouldn't count on a lot of teams working in harmony to reach a specific goal.

Scared money doesn't make money! Also, have faith in your staff no matter their age or years of experience. Be willing to take a small risk on them because it may payoff big in the long run!

So far...so good!

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great on-boarding experience from the initial recruiter contact to the orientation course!

Cons

None yet! I am curious to see how the raise process works since the appraisal period changed after I joined the company. My annual anniversary date yielded a 1% raise, but I have been told that I MAY be considered for a further raise during the formal cycle in January...fingers crossed.

No explanation or discussion with my line of management of the 1% raise I received on my anniversary date. It would be nice to have it explained, e.g. why 1%, any further considerations or things I need to to, etc.

Great employer for the most part

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is very apparent that BAH genuinely cares for its employees. It goes out of its way to find work for its people when contracts dry up, maximizing the talents of its personnel to ensure they have valuable, meaningful work. The leadership at the top at the regional office I work are very impressive, with the middle managers just below them a mixed bag as far as leadership ability. Still, there is no doubt that they care deeply for the employees.

There are opportunities to move around the company, and the opportunities are worldwide. If you don't like it where you're at and you have some mobility, this is an excellent company to work for!

The large majority of folks I've worked with are very intelligent, which is refreshing when working in an environment surrounded by entitled government employees.

Cons

The move to being publicly traded has come with some trade-offs when it comes to benefits. Read: "Take care of the investors before the employees" (loss of employee perks and benefits in some cases). Salaries and programs such as education reimbursement have severely been cut.

I have witnessed a lack of diversity when it comes to overall management and the allocation of promotions, though I think this is more perception than reality. As one lower-level employee put it, "It's hard to get promoted unless you're part of the 'old white men's club'." To its credit, I think the management at the regional office I work at has noticed this, though any action to remedy the perception and/or the numbers hasn't occured.

If you are at a regional office or "hoteling", good luck feeling like you're part of the big show in the DC area. If the DC set doesn't suit you, though, you'll enjoy being away from that flagpole. BAH has a lot of great locations to work at, so happy hunting.

Pleasant Experience

Current Employee - Associate in Eatontown, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate in Eatontown, NJ

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, availability of work, good structured company

Cons

Management seems to be too cut-throat and back-stabbing

Pay more attention to your employees job satisfaction. They are just as important as the clients satisfaction in the employees job performance.

Too many mid-level mangers, can't compete in austere fiscal climate, keeps "dead-weight"

Former Employee - Senior Defense Research Analyst in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Defense Research Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good reputation and past performance gains respect of clients

Cons

When I was hired by Booz Allen (in a position I found) I was told that Booz Allen hires the person, not just for the contract. When my position was migrated to another company, Booz Allen did little to nothing to retain me even though I was more qualified than people working in other positions. They are more interested in keeping people billable than they are in providing the best value and qualified people for the client. Definitely has the perception of favoritism.

Booz Allen is also top heavy which drives up cost and weakens ability too compete.

Keep your talented, most qualified people and replace those who do not have skill sets for today's market who are piled on to contracts just so they can be billable

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos