Booz Allen Hamilton

2,219 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,338 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 294 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 112 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place for transition from science/tech background to business

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Booz Allen employees are collaborative, smart, and innovative
    - Multi-disciplinary team work is engaging and interesting
    - Everyone is interested in networking
    - Good hours for a consulting firm
    - Company emphasis on innovation

Cons

- The decentralization of the company makes it difficult to mingle with coworkers outside of your immediate project team
    - Recruiting strategy is unorganized

Develop a university-hiring plan. Hire a cohort of young people and let them build a community and support each other

Changing Environment

Current Employee - Staff Technologist in California, MD
    Current Employee - Staff Technologist in California, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Booz Allen is a good company to start your career out at. They great job mobility program and encourage their employees reach their educational goals. There is collaboration across teams to get things done and make Booz Allen and one voice.

Cons

Constant change in the company makes it hard to get use to how we are suppose to operate. It seems as if the company has shifted it focus from it employees to its stakeholders, since it went public, which has made it less desirable to work for.

Disappointed given its reputation/image

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary and vacation package is generous.

Cons

Luck of the draw in terms of which team one is hired or move to. A bad boss means no promotion, no feedback, left in limbo at the client site, not protected against bullying/harassment by customer. In my case I was assigned what turned out to be a very dysfunctional organization that within the year had replaced its own senior management and treated its contractors like trash or worse (self included). My immediate supervisor, a nice competent man but worried about his own promotions/rise etc, did nothing to protect us at the site. His boss --my hiring boss-- was a complete a-- who was so full of himself that he had zero interest in his minions except for his few pets. But what particularly struck me as red flag, was how during a week's orientation, as we were being indoctrinated on the privileges of working for such an esteemed company, I noted (and raised a fair question) that it appeared the BAH's immense success was tied to its one sole customer, the US Govt. I asked is this was perhaps a risky model i.e. all eggs in one basket and what if this funding source dried up (this was asked circa 2009)? Wouldn't it be prudent to branch out a bit? Needless to say, my question/comment wasn't appreciated. This should have been another red flag.

Better management off campus i.e. at client site. Less fawning of (sole) client at the expense of one's own employees when the work site is beyond dysfunctional and yet the motto remains "the customer is always right."

Unbelievably bad management

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

There are some decent employees (out of 25k there should be some decent ones, right?), but management is a whole different story. I suppose if you are a Principal making $300k+ or a Partner making $1M+, it's a good company to work for.

Cons

They lied about the compensation and benefits, they lied about the amount of work available, they lied about conversations employees had with management. I've never seen an organization that lied so much in such a short amount of time. They will do anything to fill the seats (qualified or not doesn't matter). All they care about is making the most money possible. It's just a really bad, really unethical company.

How about valuing employees and their work instead of only money? A company making $200M in profit should not be cutting benefits.

I expected more......

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Flexibility. You can work remotely if you want and if your assignment permits it. It’s well known company in the DC area and there is the perception that everyone who works there is super smart and that it is a well run organization. The missions of the clients supported are interesting and many coworkers are nice.

Cons

No work life balance. Working at Booz is a series of fire drills and poorly run projects. Its not uncommon to spend long hours working on something that is 'high priority' and later learn that what was asked for was never even looked at.

Lots of arrogance, pretention, and ego at the senior associate and higher level. There is an unspoken dynamic that people at this level know everything and that pretty much no one below that level knows anything….so you end up indulging the senior staff by nodding and smiling – which makes their egos even bigger. And you do this even when it is obvious that they don’t know what they are talking about - and yes, there are people in Booz who have no clue as to what they are doing.

Career paths are limited. Raises, promotions, and bonuses are generously sprinkled across ‘leadership’ while the majority of employees – the ones actually doing the work – get very little for their contributions. Lower level employees are just supposed to be happy to get the honor of being deemed good enough to work at Booz. It’s definitely a culture of haves and have nots. The average employee could get the same job somewhere else, earn the same salary if not higher, be appreciated more, and not have to deal with the weird organizational dynamics at Booz.

The company’s culture is in need of a massive overhaul from the top down. Trim the fat at the top levels - there’s too many people up there - and it's not obvious what they are doing to move the company forward. Bring in some fresh leadership from the outside so they can provide a new perspective. Listen to employees. Treat all employees as though they are valuable and that they also contribute to the organization's success. Hold poor and disorganized leaders accountable….starting with the ones in the SIG.

Diverse company with lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A wide variety of groups and projects to involve yourself in. Lots of flexibility in work location and schedule.

Cons

The Strategic Innovation Group can seem like it's struggling to find direction. Training hasn't quite been figured out for deep technical tracks.

Well organized and managed.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Great benefits, training opportunities, and time-off policies. Very diverse!

Cons

Big business in a small-business world.

A firm that treats it's employees like people and not numbers on a spreadsheet

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Still considered to be "new" with the firm having been here only two years, however they have been a good two years. The managers I have been in contact with care about their staff and work to make sure you feel valued in the organization. In my two years I have worked with three separate clients making work always interesting with changing scenery. The benefits are better than what I was getting with my previous employer. Some other reviews might talk about how the firm isn't what it used to be, but being new I don't have a negative outlook on how the firm is changing. There are lots of opportunities to learn new skills and to enhance the skills you already have. They offer an annual training budget you can use for certifications or other professional courses.

Cons

In the two years i have worked here I have worked for three separate clients. Although this keeps the work interesting and new, it is also a little concerning at the end of each contract to see where you will be placed or if you will be laid off. I spend a couple months not working at a client site when my contract expired but the firm kept me on and got me placed with a new client.

Interesting work but remote locations.

Former Employee - Intern in Aberdeen, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Aberdeen, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

cool work and projects. Friendly people. Good work life balance, great for settling down with kids

Cons

cant discuss work like other jobs I've had in the past. Not great for young college graduates who want fun active lifestyles

not enough to attract young innovative types, very similar people hired

Great company to work with.

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture and mission are on point. Enjoyed working with them. The exposure and experience unbeatable

Cons

Not able to work with them for longer period of time

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos