Booz Allen Hamilton

2,185 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,320 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 294 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 112 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Not bad!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a cool place to work and grow. your coworkers are nice people

Cons

Managers can do better with their employees and salary is a little bit down

Great Shop

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people
    Results driven approach
    Lots of projects to choose from

Cons

Big company so need to stay close to a team

Takes care of employees even in harshest economic times

Former Employee - Associate in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Associate in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company trusted me to perform on a client-facing contract the way I saw fit. There was a lot of flexibility, so long as I remembered that my role was as a consultant for the firm and not an employee for the contracting entity.

The local office offered many opportunities to network within the firm after contracted work hours.

During the government shutdown, BAH found creative and fair ways of holding onto a large majority of its employees.

I was able to participate in the interview process for manning a new contract.

Cons

In my particular case, I felt that first and second levels of management failed to correct bad feelings between two separate, but closely related, clients, leaving me as the fall guy in the middle. I expect more from the retired military Colonels and General Officers who hold these management positions.

In order to advance after the first year or two, one must be involved in getting new business or expanding current business. Management ignored the four new business and one expanded business ideas I floated.

I encourage Senior Associates and Principals to get to know the skills, talents and desires of their Consultants and Associates so they can better match them to the current and future needs of the company.

Show interest in self-motivated Associates who show initiative. Walk them through the processes of creating new business for the firm.

Pleasant Experience

Current Employee - Associate in Eatontown, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate in Eatontown, NJ

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, availability of work, good structured company

Cons

Management seems to be too cut-throat and back-stabbing

Pay more attention to your employees job satisfaction. They are just as important as the clients satisfaction in the employees job performance.

So far...so good!

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great on-boarding experience from the initial recruiter contact to the orientation course!

Cons

None yet! I am curious to see how the raise process works since the appraisal period changed after I joined the company. My annual anniversary date yielded a 1% raise, but I have been told that I MAY be considered for a further raise during the formal cycle in January...fingers crossed.

No explanation or discussion with my line of management of the 1% raise I received on my anniversary date. It would be nice to have it explained, e.g. why 1%, any further considerations or things I need to to, etc.

Great employer for the most part

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is very apparent that BAH genuinely cares for its employees. It goes out of its way to find work for its people when contracts dry up, maximizing the talents of its personnel to ensure they have valuable, meaningful work. The leadership at the top at the regional office I work are very impressive, with the middle managers just below them a mixed bag as far as leadership ability. Still, there is no doubt that they care deeply for the employees.

There are opportunities to move around the company, and the opportunities are worldwide. If you don't like it where you're at and you have some mobility, this is an excellent company to work for!

The large majority of folks I've worked with are very intelligent, which is refreshing when working in an environment surrounded by entitled government employees.

Cons

The move to being publicly traded has come with some trade-offs when it comes to benefits. Read: "Take care of the investors before the employees" (loss of employee perks and benefits in some cases). Salaries and programs such as education reimbursement have severely been cut.

I have witnessed a lack of diversity when it comes to overall management and the allocation of promotions, though I think this is more perception than reality. As one lower-level employee put it, "It's hard to get promoted unless you're part of the 'old white men's club'." To its credit, I think the management at the regional office I work at has noticed this, though any action to remedy the perception and/or the numbers hasn't occured.

If you are at a regional office or "hoteling", good luck feeling like you're part of the big show in the DC area. If the DC set doesn't suit you, though, you'll enjoy being away from that flagpole. BAH has a lot of great locations to work at, so happy hunting.

A company in transition

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company lives it's Core Values every day. Leaders empower managers and staff to do the right thing for our clients. Junior Staff have an equal voice in most discussions and strategy sessions. The products we deliver are peer reviewed before leaders review with the goal of having the best possible product in the hands of our clients at the right time and the right cost.

Cons

Leaders slow to react to market changes. They get the right answer, but the pace of change is slow.

Listen closely to the staff that are right in front of the client.

Too many mid-level mangers, can't compete in austere fiscal climate, keeps "dead-weight"

Former Employee - Senior Defense Research Analyst in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Defense Research Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good reputation and past performance gains respect of clients

Cons

When I was hired by Booz Allen (in a position I found) I was told that Booz Allen hires the person, not just for the contract. When my position was migrated to another company, Booz Allen did little to nothing to retain me even though I was more qualified than people working in other positions. They are more interested in keeping people billable than they are in providing the best value and qualified people for the client. Definitely has the perception of favoritism.

Booz Allen is also top heavy which drives up cost and weakens ability too compete.

Keep your talented, most qualified people and replace those who do not have skill sets for today's market who are piled on to contracts just so they can be billable

Tremendous amount of opportunity and professional growth

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Booz offers flexible work schedules. The client's we support have extremely exciting missions where Booz Allen staff are able to provide real impact. Leadership cares about their staff and continuously provides opportunities for growth

Cons

The firm communications are definitely lacking. The rumor mill far outpaces the corporate communications, and when those communications come out, they are not in tune with the staff. Corporate policies can inhibit agility to response to unique client challenges

Was there for 11 years, left, returned and happily gone again

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

From mid 90's to mid 2000s great firm. Loved it, learned alot, my partner was very good. Returned for an assignment in 2012 and good grief, so much had changed!

Cons

Classic Beltway bandit. You are just a drone in a roll. I was expected to treat my staff so differently than we had previously. I had had several offers at play and jumped ship as quickly as possible.

No words can describe how disappointed I was in how leadership attitudes had changed.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos