Booz Allen Hamilton

2,154 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,303 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 290 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 101 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 111 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

After two years, I still like my job!

Current Employee - Associate  in  Aberdeen, MD
    Current Employee - Associate in Aberdeen, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

BAH encourages their employees to learn and to work with others to complete projects. One of the big pushes is networking. We have meetings, lunches, discussions and presentations available on a regular basis to help network, meet other employees, and/or learn more on a topic or a BAH offering.

Cons

Working on proposals for new work or to continue current work can be time heavy and exhausting. I've worked multiple weeks of 12-14+ hour days on this type of work.

Acknowledge a broader spectrum of employees for projects. It seems that many people do the work for the success, but the same few get noticed all the time.

Incredible experience - Met talented, friendly, and great people. Flexible work hours, great life balance

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really enjoyed the people and experience as a whole - Pentagon was a cool place to work at. Both client and Booz co-workers were great. Hours can't be beat, was rarely asked to work a minute over 40 hours. Got 3 weeks vacation and 6% $ for $ 401k matching.

Cons

Money doesn't seem to be all that competitive anymore. Benefits in general took a massive hit since the company went public and are continuing to decline. Our CEO keeps sending mass emails saying how great the company is doing as the profit increases while our revenue decreases. I wonder how they are able to accomplish this...

Stop cutting basic benefits and salaries. Gotta draw the line between reasonable cost savings and completely losing the ability to hire talented employees. This only works short term until talented people begin to leave gradually.

Young talent

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Growth opportunities if you actively seek them out and keep that in mind when projects are being offered.

Cons

Low compensation, and not much focus on retaining and developing young talent.

Focus more on retaining young talent and not just throwing people into projects just so they are billable.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learned a lot about life and business (aside from IT Consulting)

Former Employee - Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very prestigious company with (formerly) incredible benefits. Opportunity to learn a lot about life and business through osmosis alone.

Cons

Bought by Carlyle in '08 (private equity firm), as well as its adaptation to current economic times, is starting to make BAH just another firm.

Try to get BAH back to its roots pre-Carlyle (as much as feasible in these times). Find a way to keep talent around during challenging times.

Great! Entry Level Job

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Knowledgeable people, very fast pace work, everyone is proficient and above, volunteer work

Cons

pay raises, promotions, closing offices

Focus more on employee than stock holders

Great place to start your career

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great, smart people to work with; challenging assignments that will push you to grow; lots of opportunity if you know where to look and who to talk to. Fair pay and benefits, and leadership generally tries to listen to employees but may take awhile to take action. Very open to telework and high employee autonomy as long as you get the work done. New career tracks offer more opportunity for technical and functional experts to reach upper leadership levels. In general, the company has come through the government market decline in good form without having to lay off a ton of employees.

Cons

Highly political and hierarchical, especially on the corporate side. Lots of change that can be hard for some employees to handle. Promotions more based on who you know than what you do.

Great Employer!

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great employer offering diversity in assignments, great opportunities for training, and skilled co-workers.

Cons

In locations farther from the HQ, some client offerings are not as diverse

Professional Firm

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Strategic Communications  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Strategic Communications in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Booz Allen Hamilton has a very great benefits package for all of their employees. They understand that personal situations happen and have a wonderful amount of flexibility for most of the work.

Cons

The firm is growing quickly and this is a positive sign, although that brings with it extra work to do. Nothing else that can be considered a 'con'.

None.

Great learning experience

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, amazing work hours, an easy way to get a clearance, and very flexible.

Cons

Reviews are very stressful, can get very busy at times (especially Q4).

Awesome!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met so many interesting, skilled, and unique people at Booz. Everyone seemed like they really wanted to work there. I always felt welcome and valued as an employee and team member. Very professional environment to work in and I met a lot of people that I am still friends with outside of the company. It is a good work culture and very positive experience overall.

Cons

Office location created a long commute for me. Compensation was good, but advancement was somewhat challenging. When I chose to leave, I did not appreciate the tongue lashing I received from my boss's boss. My boss was amazing, but her boss was definitely a character.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!