Booz Allen Hamilton

2,135 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,294 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 283 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance (in 103 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Professional Firm

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Strategic Communications  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Strategic Communications in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Booz Allen Hamilton has a very great benefits package for all of their employees. They understand that personal situations happen and have a wonderful amount of flexibility for most of the work.

Cons

The firm is growing quickly and this is a positive sign, although that brings with it extra work to do. Nothing else that can be considered a 'con'.

None.

Federal powerhouse with plenty of opportunities.

Former Employee - Consultant  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Respected brand with plenty of agencies to support. You get to work with plenty of smart people who have a wide array of backgrounds.

Cons

Working with government agencies can be un-fulfilling at times, and Booz salaries aren't always the best, particularly for younger employees.

Good Place Overall

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Work / Life balance up to Lead Associate
    Reasonable compensation
    Smart Colleagues

Cons

Work becoming less interesting, more contracting v. consulting

Focus on wining more consulting work in gov. and commercial

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met so many interesting, skilled, and unique people at Booz. Everyone seemed like they really wanted to work there. I always felt welcome and valued as an employee and team member. Very professional environment to work in and I met a lot of people that I am still friends with outside of the company. It is a good work culture and very positive experience overall.

Cons

Office location created a long commute for me. Compensation was good, but advancement was somewhat challenging. When I chose to leave, I did not appreciate the tongue lashing I received from my boss's boss. My boss was amazing, but her boss was definitely a character.

Still a Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent Work/Life balance.
    Benefits are very good.
    Career advancement is clearly defined.
    Up to $5,000/year in training allowance.

Cons

May need to relocate to find a new project, that is the nature of contracting work.
    After 30-years they have done away with their 10% bonus plan. Now it is a 401k with matching up to 6%.

Pay more attention to offices outside the DC area.

Not the company that recruited me

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My current management team allows me to be extremely flexible. I am part of a small client site team, which is preferable to the larger client based team I came from. My current client is amazing. Your client determines much of your happiness at this company. If you can find the time and receive approval from your management they do offer a lot of training. Everyone I've met as Booz Allen has been very nice. The health care benefits are great compared to many other companies in the DC area.

Cons

While nice, most people, especially management won't go out of their way for you. You are entirely responsible for remaining billable and seeking billable work, which can make the environment very cut throat. Overtime is expected all the time, not occasionally. The "work hard, play hard" mentality of rewarding hard working employees is long gone. Raises are contingent upon if your client agrees to the increase. The ability to occasionally work from home - for me - has never become the reality. My last contract did not allow for a good work-life balance, the client was awful, and I was pressured to not find a position more in line with my qualifications because they didn't want to have to find a replacement. I wasn't allowed to truly consult and provide recommendations or improve the processes I was hired to do so. Every time corporate takes away another benefit they try to "sell" the employees on how great it is to be more "aligned" to the rest of the industry. When I joined the company they had consistently been on the top 100 companies to work for. Not so anymore.

Value your employees. Many of us joined because you were better than the rest of the industry. The quality of your staff is decreasing as you decrease benefits and employee appreciation. Provide the job security, benefits, and flexibility you "assured" those that you hired you valued. Respect employees and our intelligence; quit trying to "sell" us on the changes - just tell us the truth and treat as us the adults we all are.

Happiness quotient depends on client.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The salary and benefits are great. Management is stellar.

Cons

Without a doubt, firm culture. Timesheets, Travel Expenses, Annual Review, other corporate style policies.

Good, until it ended abruptly ...

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Excellent management environment, up until the Federal Sequestration started... then my lead partner got laid off along with all the staffers...

Cons

Hard to tell now, since Booz Allen sold the business to PwC.

Big company, great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work-life balance, leadership opportunities, number of projects to work on, number of locations across the nation (and internationally), various clients and types of work

Cons

Benefits are very average now, large variety of technical ability, inconsistent career management across teams/accounts/regions, lack of confidence in senior leadership

Invest in your people more. If you invest in your people - they will enjoy their experience which will allow recruiting and attracting top talent to happen organically.

Great company for top notch consulting skills

Former Employee - Associate  in  Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits, although they have changed are still great! You meet and have an opportunity to learn how to be the best. You will learn how to successfully manage client expectations and manage.

Cons

It can be somewhat challenging to get ahead, but with the right positioning and leadership that believes in you, you can achieve great success. Not necessarily a place you will retire from.

The assessment process is a joke and a waste of time.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!