Booz Allen Hamilton

2,243 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,351 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunities for flexibility of work/career track, but culture of the company is diluting

Current Employee - Management Consulting Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many opportunities for work, good compensation, flexibility in career track, many opportunities for training, tuition assistance, good benefits package

Cons

Firms is arguably too large and overpriced so less performance increases, no longer a clear differentiating factor in the market, little control over the direction of the firm

Identify a clear space in the market and be the best at it. We need to market ourselves in a way that makes us different from the other contracting companies, but we essentially look just like everyone else - just with a higher price tag. So we will eventually have to either lower our prices, or justify our price through unique offering.

Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits good people lots of work much of the biz is online. Can work from home or hoteling site

Cons

Cutting benefits annually, good people become too expensive so have to go online biz is tough. Hoteling on BAH site means still having to dress up.

Positive proving ground for young consultants looking to gain experience in the federal consulting space.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High quality people with excellent work ethic and dedication to customer delivery/satisfaction.

Cons

Shrinking federal budgets has required the company to adjust its strategy.

The prestige is nice, but that's about it.

Former Employee - Lead Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many of my coworkers became close, personal friends. Honestly, I probably stayed a couple of years too long just because of that. There are also lots of resources available to you that you don't get at smaller companies. For the most part, walking into a room and saying "I'm from Booz Allen" still gets you instant credibility in a whole lot of places.

Cons

Despite being a seasoned professional in my field when hired, I quickly realized that I was brought on to be a very expensive intern for my vice president. My days consisted of making power point presentations, excel spreadsheets, scheduling meetings, and listening to other people brief my material. It took me a couple of years to be given even a modicum of the responsibility I had for years prior to joining the firm. Once I had it-- and excelled-- I was repeatedly promised promotions that never materialized.

Senior leadership has created an organization that is so internally focused and political that it lets a lot of talent and good ideas slip through the cracks. Formal recognition of good workers is needed as well as a thorough house cleaning of the enormous amount of dead weight walking the halls.

Good introduction to management consulting; pay not competitive

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-I've had the unique chance to work on a variety of interesting public, private and non-profit projects that had impact to client
    -Went through a great leadership training with senior-level sponsorship
    -Work is at the nexus of business and government
    -Flexibility, though this depends entirely on your manager, client and team culture
    -If you know what you want out of the experience, there's a way to achieve it, though you don't have much control over your first project
    -Lots of inspiring women leadership who support younger talent
    -Professional work environment and really lovely colleagues
    -Core values
    -Benefits have been generous, though this is about to change
    -You learn how to effectively manage and win government contracts

Cons

-Pay is WAY less than the market rate for management consultants; I have a master's from an Ivy League and classmates in government make more than I do
    -Government work is often staff augmentation vs. actual strategy consulting
    -People get promoted based on how well they produce independently vs. how they manage a team; consequently some really bad managers who don't have people skills and stunt growth/development of younger employees
    -Unlike other strategy consulting firms, they don't invest much in training and development internally (the two-day orientation and online trainings are really ineffective). At other firms- McKinsey, BCG, etc.- people with non-business and technical backgrounds are given training to become effective consultants. After a year, no one cares what you studied but rather how well you solve problems. Here, you can be pidgeon-holed based on what you studied in undergrad and grad school
    -Promotion process is not consistent across the firm; some teams promote faster than others

-Limiting promotions to once a year and not hiring folks at the right level/pay will lead to the departure of talented staff
    -Re-evaluate your compensation strategy

Open and innovative Internship program, but lacked face time with employees and client.

Former Employee - Level III Research Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Level III Research Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They are working on really interesting technology. As an intern, I had the opportunity to work on an interesting project that dealt with cloud and data analytics. A lot of the employees there are extremely smart and helpful. Just make sure to reach out to them.

Cons

I didn't like the hoteling office set up. Did not feel like I was working in a collaborative environment.

Allow for interns to work hand-in-hand with full-time employees, and allow more face time with clients.

It was great.

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Access to information was fantastic..

Cons

Reciprocal Intelligence issues were a challenge..

Great company with lots of options and a superior culture.

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Project opportunities are very diverse.
    Great career mentors and team atmosphere (depending on what team and market you are in)
    Ability to change work location/travel

Cons

Mostly client site work
    Entry level pay is low
    Potential for competition for work/contracts depending on the team/market
    Loss of job if no billable work within a certain amount of time (i.e. don't be "on the beach" for too long)

Reward hard working young talent, or risk losing them to other companies.

Love

Former Employee - Systems Engineer Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Money is really good good

Cons

Hours are really bad bad

Live

Great employer, reacting to recent market changes

Former Employee - Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Associate in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Booz Allen has been a terrific company to work for. Lots of opportunity, good management and great benefits.

Cons

Unfortunately, since splitting off the commercial side and focusing exclusively on government contracting they've been under pressure to offer benefits that are 'comparable' to other government contractors, resulting in unfortunate cultural and benefits changes.

Go back to being the Booz Allen of about 4 years ago. We were uniquely principled in advising the client and had amazing talent. In the quest to grow, too many incompatible changes were made in order to be competitive. You can't stand out in value by copying other companies.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos