Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

2,647 Employee Reviews

1. Senior Consultant

Pros

Great place to start a career. Plenty of career development and learning opportunities. Get to work with extremely talented people. Diverse client set.

Cons

Leadership is disengaged and not focused on growing and developing talent. Leaders and senior management do not focus on issues that need to be addressed.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining and developing talent

2. Sr Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive environment and great benefits during my tenure.

Cons

After going public, they let go of good people.

Advice to Management

Good luck with the new generation of "professional."

Lead Associate

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The collaboration across the Firm was incredible, nothing like I had seen before or since. The salary was slightly above average, and the benefits were above average. I enjoyed working there for almost 7 years.

Cons

Near the end of my employment, I felt boxed in. I felt that I did not have a lot of opportunities to move up, so I left voluntarily. When I left, the Firm was reducing some of the benefits to make the Firm more competitive.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to keep bringing in high talent, not to water down the name and reputation to that of the average Beltway bandits.

5. OK

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA

Pros

Many projects to choose from.

Cons

Benefits aren't as good as they used to be.

6. Sr Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

-work travel -diverse projects -knowledge building growth and opportunities -great people / coworkers -varying work loads

Cons

-may require some longer hours -demanding clients (sometimes unreasonable request) -poor health care packages

Advice to Management

Although Booz Allen Hamilton has great people working for the company and many people are helpful, you can definitely tell the culture is business-centric and it feels like some consultants, new to the firm and consulting as a whole, can make individuals feel more like a commodity than a valued person as part of the BAH staff.

7. Not the same Booz Allen as it was pre-Bain

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to do important work with lots of driven, smart people. There are plenty of opportunities to develop your career in the government space. Booz is a great place to have been from.

Cons

The amount of work available varies widely depending on your location. If you're looking at BAH for a career make sure when you interview that there are plenty of partners developing work in your practice in your location or you'll be looking for a new job when your project is done. Culturally this is not the same Booz that it was even 10 years ago, and sometimes it feels like they're riding on their name. Continuing education money has dried up and ECAP is nothing like it used to be, and it feels like the only thing that matters is maximizing utilization.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people only to lay them off because there's no project work available. Reconsider the focus only on utilization during evaluations.

8. Consultant

Pros

BAH gives you amazing real world business experience. The project(s) you work on can give you unique experience in the federal government.

Cons

In my experience, my admin team didn't do much for me. I was switched to a different team twice which meant I couldn't develop my relationship with my SA easily. My last LA did nothing for me.

Advice to Management

Make sure your Consultants are in constant communication with you and be welcoming to them.

9. Great place to gain experience

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to try many roles, good on the job training, team events and celebrations.

Cons

Hours can be a bit heavy depending on the project, upward mobility heavily depends on your internal team/management which may not be following with your latest accomplishments at client site.

Advice to Management

Develop a better employee management system where the project team on site is the one who will be evaluating your performance.

10. Booz Allen Employee

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Stafford, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Stafford, VA

Pros

Great Benefits with room to grow, but it is a slow process

Cons

Very top heavy in senior management

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees , they are the books on the ground that need your support.

11. An OK Company

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than 5 years)

Pros

Booz has a lot of work, so you can find another position if you really worked at it.

Cons

You have to work hard to find another position. Your management won't help you find work. There is also no standard at Booz- any decision on salary or promotion is made by your leadership. So if you are on a team that has good leadership you will do well.

Advice to Management

There should be a standard for promotions and salaries and not based on the biases of each team's leadership.

Showing 2,647 of 2,695 reviews