Booz Allen Hamilton

Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

3.7

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

BAH is AOK

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Everyone around seems to love it a lot and the morale is high amongst those I've worked with. One great benefit is that there are many, many activities organized to get employeed involved with the company. I enjoy the golf outings and some of the speakers introduced since I've been onboard. Also, I've found it to be quite is easy to report problems and potential problems...AND getting resolution to those problems . KEY POINT: The organization is stable and growing even in a down economy. The work can be very challenging, too. There is a clear path to advancement. The benefits are awesome, even if you only use some of them.

Cons

Downsides: Well, the pay tends to be less than industry averages, but when you first receive and offer, try to negotiate. It is expected and you'll find some wiggle room usually. Though the path to advancement is clean, it can be hard to actually advance beyond associate. You are expected to find new work...which is not as easy as it sounds. I worked on a proposal for three weeks and when it was awarded to BAH, an associate was given the lead. That was frustrating and a bit demoralizing. I was invited to work on the project, but with no pay increase!

Make advancement more accesible to those who want it. The mentorship program, in theory, is great but it is actually hard to make work unless you are a researcher. Many people out here in Boozland want more than a paycheck...we want compelling, challenging work...and the rewards the come with it. I also suggest the pursuit of education be encouraged...beyond just providing tuition assistance. Let managers know that leaving an hour early for classes can be tolerated if there is no occlusion to serious work details. Hey...even encouraging a 4-day work week to facilitate employees to take classes would be GREAT....this is what MITRE does with many, many employees.

Terrible Management communication

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Great pay and benefits, its a large company and they offer a lot of perks within the DC area. You can get a lot of experience working in the government consulting sector. Great campus!

Cons

That being said, what team you are on plays a huge role in your happiness with the firm. Some managers are so guarded in their vocab, they hardly speak to you. Sometimes you just want to be rewarded or spoken to candidly, and I feel like its hard to get to this point here. Sometimes your manager is at a client site, and you are in m clean, communication channels are limited.

Oftentimes, I feel like management is so swamped that they hardly have time to share a human connection with their employees. They ask how the weekend was, but are disingenuous about actually listening to the answer. I feel like most people don't have lives at all, and treat you like your are a minion on a long assembly line. Your skills are easily replaceable and we can get someone else to do the same joba nd it would make us more money. Very sleazy.

th Booz Allen way

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Flexibility, life work balance, job security, large company opportunity

Cons

Unclear career path, management communication

Communicate, recognize

I'm new so...this is on first impressions

Current Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Booz Allen is a highly respected organization in the contracting world. Their philosophy of strategic hiring vs. other companies who may not retain you at the end of a contract. There seems to be a flexible work schedule mentality if it is at all possible to meet client needs. The Firm definitely seems to care about its people and works to take care of them through various programs and benefits. There are many opportunities for employees to better themselves, their community and the Firm as well. Their retirement (ECAP) program appears to be good although you must be with the company for one year before you receive any of the contribution.

Cons

Times when you are looking for work...slow periods with busy work to do. Sometimes focus seems to be on new proposals rather than delivering well on what we've already won.

Keep the people your main focus and they will continue to get the mission done.

Overall a good place to work.

Current Employee - Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Significant support for building a business.

Cons

Sometimes seem to take a tactical view of employees rather than strategic.

Need to clearly define consice attainable goals for staff and frontline management

Good

Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

career development is really good

Cons

tough culture to become promoted in

fdafdaf

Booz Allen rocks - unless you get a crappy manager.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Excellent opportunity for advancement. Do a good job, and you'll move up and get compensated - though maybe not immediately. Great place to learn on the job, there's a lot of smart, competent people that can help you get better.

Cons

Occasional lousy managers. The Senior Associate core is not all excellent, though the Principals are generally very good.

Tighter controls on the Senior Associates - some of them suck. Method of promotion to that level is more about people liking you than doing a good job, resulting in the aforementioned occasional sucky managers.

Overall Consulting Experience

Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Networking and Well Rounded Consulting Experience

Cons

I have none at this time

Arrange more team building activities

Solid company...great for recent graduates.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Great company to get solid training and to put on a resume. This company is especially a great choice for recent graduates.

Cons

To really advance with this company it's helpful to be an alpha dog type personality. If you're not, it can be difficult to get noticed. Within the corporate headquarters it can seem especially "dog eat dog". If you are working at client site, it is easy to feel disconnected from the company. Additionally, advancement depends on more than doing a great job in fulfilling your work requirements. You must also be willing to take on outside tasks and white paper writing which can be difficult if you're on a demanding contract already.

N/A

Entry-level workers beware!

Former Employee - Researcher in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Researcher in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

I believe that the best reason to work at Booz Allen was the number of interesting speakers and brown bag lunches that were open to anyone. I learned a great deal by attending random information sessions. While this didn't make up for otherwise wasting my time, I did feel like this training was very valuable and gave me a lot of knowledge to follow up on in the future.

Cons

Job hunters, beware! Booz Allen has been growing at an unsustainable rate. Managers hire excess workers, then let them sit in offices with nothing to do, sometimes for months. Advancement, security clearances, training - if you want it, you'd better be ready to fight for it, as managers will leave you to fend for yourself. "Networking" within the company consisted of my manager handing me a list of people who didn't know either of us and requesting that I call them and ask to be put on their projects. All in all, I had a very bad experience. I was told that this is mostly because I didn't have any family or friends in Booz Allen prior to going there, as this is how the typical person enters the company. After all of this mistreatment, I had to repay Booz Allen for the tuition that they had paid for and the moving expenses that they had covered.

It's a poor idea to hire people and give them no work. It's also really unacceptable to severely lowball people's salaries, then tell them that there's no room to move on it. You couldn't move on salary; I couldn't bring myself to stay.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos