Booz Allen Hamilton

Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in Rockville, MD

Updated May 29, 2014

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support(in 281 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters(in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance(in 102 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels(in 43 reviews)

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall, good solid colleagues and decent opportunities to grow professionally

Associate (Current Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsMany colleagues with deep expertise in numerous areas, willing to support each other as best they can.

ConsSenior leadership not always transparent about critical issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementProactively share updates on critical issues with staff as quickly as possible so they can be prepared to make decisions for themselves, rather than allowing long periods of time between updates or passing down guidance at the last minute.

Company still struggles to keep status as top tier consulting firm

Lead Associate (Current Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsGood place to learn through number of training/education opportunities
    Frequent opportunities to sharpen existing skills and develop new skills through team and company events
    Occasionally there will be opportunities to land a project that fits what you are looking to do

ConsThe push to remain billable frequently causes employees to miss opportunities to join projects that are a better fit
    Leadership struggles to branch out from the staff augmentation/contract work at the expense of growing more strategic consulting and management consulting

Team changes hinder staff development

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsSmart people, great to work with, great training, focus on work-life balance, decent pay, good variety of projects

ConsNeed to be a strong self advocate. HR is awful, do not expect any help from them. If your team changes a lot you can easily get lost in the shuffle and end up on projects that are not interested to you or good for your skillset or development.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company, but too much hidden politics, not transparent

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsGood environment, training programs, benefits, good work and life balance

Consrelies too much on government budget, too much preference to people with military/government connections

Advice to Senior ManagementPlacing people according to their background, not just expertise.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Started out Great, fell apart after they went public

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsThe people I worked with were amazing, BAH taught me to be a flexible consultant proficient in Analysis, writing, speaking and problem solving.

ConsLow Morale due to layoffs, lost contracts, lowering of pay and levels

Advice to Senior ManagementGreed is gross.

Talent and attitudes of employees are poor

Associate (Current Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsWhen I first started in 2011, my team and the company seemed decent. The projects were relatively interesting.

ConsPay is decent for a government contractor but not if you compare yourself to real consultants. That being said, you don't work the 60+ hrs/week consultants do so you can't really expect a consultant salary. People at BAH aren't very bright, which I think is fine so long as you don't try to convey yourself as experts in any particular topic. Unfortunately, to get ahead you do have to fib and convince your clients that you are talented and can solve their problems. The ones that are ambitious seem to have chips on their shoulder and/or napoleon complexes. They are all arrogant and think they're the cream of the crop. Yet most of them don't have the necessary technical skills you find at other companies. For example, the average BAH developer would never be able to get a job at Google and the average BAH business consultant would never get a job at McKinsey. Yet, the average BAH employee think they're better than everyone. This type of thinking makes for a tough work environment.

The work BAH is capturing these days is all over the place. Sometimes you get very challenging work like creating new metrics to evaluate gov programs. But sometimes you get remedial work like maintaining spreadsheets and dashboards.

Overall, I think the salary and work is decent. The people and their arrogant attitudes are what bring down the company. Management only cares about themselves and want for themselves to get promoted over helping their team out. The talent isn't all too great if you stack them up against other companies, yet they think they're the world's expert, for some odd reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. If you want to continue to capture government work, then the average people you have working for you is fine. If you're going to try to branch out into the commercial sector, you'll need more talented people.

Management should also try to create an environment that emphasizes humility and modesty. Unfortunately, management is arrogant so I don't see that happening.

Unmet career expectations/aspirations

Associate (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsPotential to get involved in high-profile projects and work with smart interesting people

ConsYour tenure and opportunity to work on desirable projects closely tied to who you know and/or management, rather than what you know

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to do a better job listening to less vocal staff and matching people with work relevant to their background and interests

Great place to work for a few years to gain experience

Consultant (Current Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsSmart colleagues, excellent benefits, generous 401(k) contribution, work/life balance, the ability to work on projects that have an impact

ConsStodgy corporate culture, low salary compared to industry peers, difficulty to move between markets, overly beholden to shareholders (Carlyle Group), very susceptible to government budget constraints, no bonuses unless you are Senior Associate level or above

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about how the decisions you make affect employee morale before you commit to them.

Best employer to work for if you're looking for work-life balance and commitment to employee satisfaction

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsThey truly value work-life balance, and the well-being of their employees! I so much as sneezed, and they would send me home and ask that I rest to make sure I didn't get sick! They also really respect and value your time as a person, and will rarely ask you to work weekends or after hours except potentially during client deliverable periods or quick turnaround pursuits/proposal efforts.

ConsThere weren't many opportunities for cross-functional or cross-team collaboration. If you are interested in getting exposure to a variety of clients and project types, Booz may not be the best place. People are typically assigned to a single project or account team (e.g. the CMS market) and you rarely get to join projects outside of your team. It's great if you want to develop SME in a particular area (e.g. federal health policy, regulatory affairs), but not if you want a diverse set of experiences in terms of client interactions and engagements.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great! The only advice I would give is to maintain regular touchpoints with your staff and provide more assistance in finding them career opportunities and staffing.

Good Consulting Internship Experience

Administrative Professional (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsLearned a lot about the consulting environment; worked with a lot of intelligent, hardworking, great people.

ConsDidn't enjoy the "hoteling" atmosphere, mostly because I was an intern so it was a little bit difficult to get the most out of my experience since I did not interact with my team members on a daily basis.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!