Booz Allen Hamilton

Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in San Antonio, TX

Updated May 2, 2014

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support(in 281 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters(in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance(in 102 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels(in 43 reviews)

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

was good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

Prosstructure is clear, as is employee review process. mature company with mature policies, generally fair...very noticeable how sophisticated they are here when going to smaller companies with less experience.

Conssalary is decent. promotions are weird. A former intern has already a level III a level I never attained. Lots of young people were promoted quickly while others stagnated, really depended on your team and managers. I had one great team there and one not so great ....like 2 different companies. overall a good place.

Advice to Senior Managementtry to keep people from getting siloed on one team -- unless that is their choice. Promote fairness. Be careful of what happens when you hire too many youth, especially on the same team ...reward experience not just degrees.

Great for entry or advanced

Associate (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat place to experience fast-paced management consulting in a Big 5 atmosphere. You are exposed to Business Development, project management, program management, capability development across high-profile clients, and work with some sharp, fun people.

ConsAn organization this size doesn't have the agility the market requires to thrive. Organization is not structured to promote innovation or innovative thinkers; its bureaucracy emulates (intentionally or not) the government clients it typically serves.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnable young, creative, innovative staff - don't use them simply as staff aug.

Associate Review

Associate (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe company sets goals for personal development.

ConsThere is lots of competition between divisions within the company and between employees for work. There is also a lot of back scratching and black-listing within the firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved with all levels of employment and don't listen to one point-of-view.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting

Senior Management Consultant (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsTeamwork and prospects were excellent.

ConsHired the wrong people, who embarrassed the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct proper background checks and educated further.

Mediocre experience

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

Pros- Start salary was at par with the market.

- New employee in-processing seminar:Thorough. Interactive. Provide lunch.

Cons- Yearly Performance Evaluation: excessive in length and redundant, at times employees (within the company) who do not work in your area, in your field, or are in your rating scheme perform/lead your Performance Evaluation.

- If you do not generate business (contracts = $$$) for them then moving up the chain is limited.

- you are not promoted on your potential, but on the work you have done meeting the requirements of the next level while you work to maintain your current requirements/standards.

- not attending "non-mandatory meetings", or "brown bags", etc does not look well. However, if you do attend you have to make up the time. If your place of employment was away from the corporate office you had to make up the travel time. Meaning, these meetings do not count towards your work day. However, some are scheduled during the work day.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to count duration meeting and travel time to your meetings as part of the workday.

Great company. Bad market

Associate (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat people. Great pay and benefits. Most contracts are somewhat flexible in terms of work schedule. Does great at looking for new opportunities when contract ends. Good mentors and personal development opportunity.

ConsSequestration has created some what of a cut throat environment. Contracts have been going away and people have been let go. Job security is at an all time low. No real technical track. Must develop new business to progress in rank

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on cutting at the top before you cut consultants that actually work face to face with clients.

Booz Allen Is Changing

Lead Associate (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsConsulting environment allows employees to work multiple projects requiring them to use and develop multiple talneds and find best fit for skills and desires.

ConsSince company has gone public, culture is becoming more of a traditional consulting cut throat environment with significantly less loyalty to the employees and partners that developed the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuy out the stock and go back to a partnership.

Overall my experience at Booz Allen has been good.

Associate III (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsOverall my experience at Booz Allen has been good. I work on a distributed Team and therefore I don't have to deal with the office politics and office work environment that others may have. Your work experience at Booz Allen depends on who you work for and your specific client assignment. Mine have been mostly good; so I have been generally happy with my work experience at Booz Allen and have learned from it.

ConsMy pay has been good, but as Federal contract work has become difficult to win, there has been a tightening up of salary increases, benefits (401k program being reduced) and other nickel and dime issues such as getting office supplies approved or travel reimbursements have more nit-picky questions from audit. Part of this may also be from the firm going public in 2010 and ongoing pressures on management for profitability. Probably 80% of Booz Allen's work is Federal contracts. So a reduction in this market area going forward will be issue for the firm for the foreseeable future until it can transition to other growing markets in the private sector or internationally.

Federal clients can at times be great to work with, and at other times, not so much. There is a lot of uncertainty within the Federal government now, which makes getting direction from Federal clients difficult, especially for long-term planning or commitments.

Several reviewers have described Booz Allen as having essentially moved to a staff augmentation firm or "butts-in-seat" vendor, rather than a true consulting firm. I would agree that a large bulk of the work that BAH now does is that type of work, but they also still do some high quality consulting work. A portion of my work could be described as staff augmentation and that has been ok for this period in my life as I have found it a little less stressful and easier work at times than full-time consulting work. It's just important for potential applicants to understand the type of assignment they would be working and give some thought whether you want to do that work and would grow from it career wise before jumping in.

Good company

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat benefits, good work/life balance

ConsVery matrixed (i.e., too many bosses), experience greatly depended on competency of your manager

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to be more focused on their staff

From 2000 to 2010, Booz Allen was great. For the past three years the firm has changed for the worse. Time to move on.

Senior Associate (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsEntrepreneurial atmosphere, network/relationships, comparatively easy to relocate or change positions within the company, performance assessment process, benefits (i.e., 10% given to 401(k) without matching)

ConsRestructuring (i.e., Vision 2020), changing from capability teams (e.g., strategy, change, org design) to market teams (e.g., Defense/Army market). The realignment and challenges with sequestration/defense budget is leading to reducing levels of senior managers. Benefits are being reduced.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so hasty in letting your senior associates and principals go without consideration of the capabilities that they bring to the table.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!