Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

3.4
Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,409 Ratings

1. A firm that treats it's employees like people and not numbers on a spreadsheet

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Still considered to be "new" with the firm having been here only two years, however they have been a good two years. The managers I have been in contact with care about their staff and work to make sure you feel valued in the organization. In my two years I have worked with three separate clients making work always interesting with changing scenery. The benefits are better than what I was getting with my previous employer. Some other reviews might talk about how the firm isn't what it used to be, but being new I don't have a negative outlook on how the firm is changing. There are lots of opportunities to learn new skills and to enhance the skills you already have. They offer an annual training budget you can use for certifications or other professional courses.

Cons

In the two years i have worked here I have worked for three separate clients. Although this keeps the work interesting and new, it is also a little concerning at the end of each contract to see where you will be placed or if you will be laid off. I spend a couple months not working at a client site when my contract expired but the firm kept me on and got me placed with a new client.

Adjust to life of government work

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Financially sound, sense of direction for the company, strong culture.

Cons

Strange dynamic to success, you must "sell" yourself and your accomplishments (real or imagined) to everyone you meet. As essentially a government staffer of sorts, you must acclimate to working on projects that waste truly epic amounts of (taxpayer) money. Progress moves at geologic pace. If you like a typical corporate environment that is fast paced and results driven, be ready to be happy to just work "in the system" and derive enough value from that process.

3. Booz Allen From the Inside

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great collaborative culture with many tools at your disposal. Helpful colleagues with no fear of retaliation if you know what you are talking about.

Cons

Getting recognition if your management is not with you. Working lots of hours to get ahead. Very business based but they are trying to change that. Federal space is not what it once was an salaries are being squeezed.

Put your money where your mouth is. Pay technical SMEs to keep them without forcing them to develop business plans or spend too many hours on proposals or looking for proposals to participate in. Realign teams to help management focus on the people they lead. Make salaries of function of cost of living. Pay should be the same in Washington D.C. and San diego since cost of living is the same.

People seem to be impressed if you have worked there; that is probably the best thing this company has to offer.

Former Employee - Management Consulting Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Management Consulting Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People recognize the company as being a top tier consulting firm. Many different opportunities and the firm does help the transition from one project to the next.

Cons

Essentially employees are highly paid interns. The opportunities for promotion and merit raises are minimal and the company experience depends tremendously on the individual team and the client.

A lot of expertise and talent is wasted on low level positions that don't allow for opportunities to shine.

BAH has been good to me for 4+ years, but I NEED a change in direction

Current Employee - Senior Consultant Level II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant Level II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

name brand recognition, large company = large network, government work is extremely relaxing at times (which can also be a con) so doesn't really have the high stress consulting vibe, work life balance is actually pretty amazing as you never need to bring your work home after you put in your 40 hours

Cons

large rift between senior management and lower level consultants, slow career advancement, generally lower salaries + minimal yearly salary raises, near impossible to advance through the company without putting in 10+ years, seems like company is having a hard time retaining top young (<30) talent

even though you are a 100 year old company, you don't have to be set in 100 year old traditions. look at what other progressive companies are doing today to retain their young talent, because many many people are looking to get out

7. Good learning experience

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Runs like a well-oiled machine, well-organized. The benefits are decent, pay decent, although the days of lavish parties and generous compensations are gone. Company touts work-life balance, but depending on your manager, it can be like pulling teeth to be able to work from home if needed.

Cons

Booz has a stellar reputation, however, the company has been trying to rest on those laurels and not necessarily adjusting to new realities of a cash-strapped government. Leadership is somewhat out of touch and the direction of the company is constantly changing--feeling a little chaotic

Get in tune with where the government is at now, adjust, and let go of what the company used to be.

8. Booz Allen Hamilton

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of upward potential. I work with great people, and have lots of opportunity.

Cons

We function of contract, if there is no funding then people get laid off.

One of the Best in the Government Professional Services Industry

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Bright and motivated colleagues. Well-established in the firm's industry with a broad business base. Employees have a high degree of autonomy. Employees have an extraordinarily high level of mentoring opportunities. Excellent benefits including education (which is highly encouraged).

Cons

Used to be a much better place to work before going public. Strongly dependent upon a narrow market (Government professional services) and vulnerable to changes in political winds. The Government market is cycling downward (in 2014), which is reducing job opportunities and pay. Senior staff are having a high degree of difficulty staying employed due to cost constraints imposed by the Government customer.

Need to put more effort into retaining experienced staff in order to be positioned to prosper in the future up-cycle.

10. Once was a great place to be

Current Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great and fun to work with. The mentoring is the best I have ever seen within a company.

Cons

Lots of downsizing due to going public a couple of years ago. There have been several layoffs and people are paranoid. Salaries are now low due to budget cuts.

Consider more promotions and better salary increases to retain talent. The loss of office space is difficult for employees and causing dissension.

Going Public: Bad Idea in 1970, Catastrophic in 2010

Current Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Once upon a time, there were pros. Not any more.

Cons

I was a relatively old hand when Booz went public in 2010. What transpired after that was a series of miscues that have damaged the company brand, perhaps fatally. The company's focus moved from client service to marketing and cost containment. Booz hired a bunch of new staff--and promptly had to let them go because they didn't have work for them. Brilliant move.

Existing employees deemed "too expensive" were targeted for adverse performance assessments on grounds that ranged from absurd to surreal. Meanwhile, those that did bring in work were allowed to practically get away with murder--until they lost their golden touch, whereupon Booz revived all of the negative comments from their performance review and used that as justification for terminating them.

Go, hat in hand, back to Booz & Company and arrange for them to buy back the firm. Either that or have an updated Chapter 11 filing ready to go. You have to be worth a high multiple to charge that much. Newsflash: you've systematically destroyed the value proposition.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos