Booz Allen Hamilton

2,290 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,369 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

1,110 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Lexington Park, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Lexington Park, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being a consultancy, sometimes it's hard to keep connected with your employees; however BAH makes great efforts to keep staff integrated with their home base. The employees at BAH are thorough, committed, honest, and trustworthy; the hiring filter is truly excellent (although some duds do slip through the cracks). BAH also encourages advancement and does everything in their power to help you go wherever you want in your career. I also have never worked anywhere that was so open and easy to work with. It truly is a great place to work.

Cons

Working on client site can be challenging at times as far as VPN access, and when you work as a consultant (as many know) there's no forgiving time off, no leaving early, etc. It's all accountable time.

Really dependent on your team, but my experience was excellent - great team and good infrastructure.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It really depends on your team, but I had a great team of people. We worked fairly independently of the rest of Booz Allen - almost like a startup within a bigger company where we had ample resources, but freedom to work on our own projects.

Cons

As a big company, you need to be where they need you to be. If you don't like it, it could be quite difficult to change your position, team, project.

Consider employees' feelings and desires more and match them to what they want to work on. This will lead to more effective work and better retention.

Pretty Good But Not Great

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Booz Allen was a great company for the most part. They encouraged corporate training opportunities, there were lots of networking opportunities, and there were usually enough projects available to stay billable to a client.

Cons

While I was at Booz Allen, it was obviously a company in transition. After expanding perhaps too much, the company was unable to maintain all of its employees, and began enforcing stricter rules regarding being "on the beach" and not billable to a client project. Sometimes managers were unable or unwilling to help place their folks on projects.

Continue to invest in your people -- this was one of the most important aspects of Booz Allen that should not go away. The 360 Review was sometimes a bit cumbersome or opaque, but overall I think the rigor was worth it. Continue with some sort of detailed review process similar to this.

100 Years of Super Coolness

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

As a whole, Booz Allen is a fantastic place to work. 100 years old, committed to community service, diversity, and keeping it's superb reputation intact. Large enough a company that you can transfer internally without loosing tenure, opportunities to get certifications and continue your education are other nice factors. For the most part, you are surrounded by hard-working smart people, and you can count on the assessment system to eventually weed out the shirkers.

Cons

Some of the mid-level job managers or career managers are short-sighted, and operate within a cone of halo effect/bias. Out new health benefits are expensive - but probably still on par with market. Just hard to lose what we had before.

Consider peer pulse checks throughout the year for mid-level management to make sure they are not giving lip service to leadership values, and actually supporting staff as leaders and not managers.

Associate, Lots of government consulting opportunity here

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people
    strong work / life balance
    strong government client base

Cons

compensation is on average lower than competition

Good place to work when young

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Skills and abilities are tested and developed early on.

Cons

Difficult to move up.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Current employee that has been working here for 2.5 years, straight out of undergrad. Lots of opportunities due to being a huge firm, competitive pay and benefits, intelligent employees, great culture for those who enjoy collaboration/socializing, etc.

Cons

While there are a wide range of opportunities (there is a career path for almost every type of profession), it's still possible to be pigeonholed into a specific role based on your resume, if you aren't careful.

Senior Consultant in Communications based in Washington, DC.

Current Employee - Senior Communications Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Communications Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, work from home flexibility, good people to work with.

Cons

Lower salary than other firms, many mid-level managers makes it hard to move up from entry level.

Booz Allen is my Career

Current Employee - Lead Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- One of the most influential and competitive consulting firms in the DC area.
     - Job security; the company wins enough work to ensure that the core talent remains employed and in relevant client work
     - I truly believe I work with the most talented staff
     - I trust in the leadership to be honest with employees
     - Competitive pay, benefits, training, etc.

Cons

- Dress code is still the most conservative in the area (although if you like dressing sharp this is the place!)
     - Recent changes to 401K ("ECAP") in order to remain cost-competitive
     - No bonus structure for junior and mid-level employees (although awards are always given)
     - Very frequent re-org and significant HR changes (at least 3 major re-orgs in 8 years)
     - Somewhat confusing internal information distribution (too many portals, share drives, etc)

- Consider increasing available reimbursement for training, plus allocating more hours for training
     - Relax the restrictions on hoteling for employees who work at BAH site every day
     - Provide better office supplies, especially PENS!
     - Maintain clear and frequent communications during periods of change. You've done very well during the commercial split, Carlyle buy-out, market re-org, and recent People Model changes. Keep it up.

Big Company, easy to get lost; Benefits slipping

Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Booz Allen is a prestigious firm that still has a great reputation for attracting quality talent. They have contracts in prestigious places -- primarily federal government and DoD and work with exciting technologies.

They hire for talent and culture fit, not for contracts. You have a few months to get work where you can train and get certifications, and they'll keep you on for several weeks after you lose a contract to find new work. Not your typical government contractor that lays you off when your contract ends.

Cons

It's a massive company, it's so easy to get lost in the chaff and not get recognized, if you are on the wrong team you will not succeed. Period. Some leadership takes care of their employees, other leadership just sucks the billable hours out of you and then gives you a 1% raise at the end of the year. Good luck moving to a different team if you get tucked away on a bad one. I tried for 4 years to move teams with no traction.

The assessment process is tremendously complicated, burdensome, and opaque, people sometimes have to take a few day of unbillable time in order to work through them.

Everything is about billing and time recording. If you enter time 5 minutes late you might not get promoted.

Benefits have been slipping ever since I've worked here. They used to pride themselves on taking care of their employees, providing top tier benefits and compensation, but recently they've moved to the middle of the pack if not the rear.

More transparency, more communication with your employees. Fix the assessment program, we should be able to provide direct actionable feedback to the assessment board's concerns. Stem the bleeding from benefits. I stuck around a couple years after they cut the profit sharing, but the health care was the last straw.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos