Booz Allen Hamilton

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.3 1,027 reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 283 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance (in 103 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights
1,027 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good introduction to corporate management consulting, but too many contractor assignments

Senior Consultant Level II (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsEnergetic and dedicated colleagues
    Split management - project managers do not control your career advancement
    Great way to experience government offices without going through government hiring and at a much better pay rate

ConsMost positions are contracting assignments where you fill a standard role within a government organization (not consulting to solve specific problems and then moving on to the next client)
    Pressure to be billable seemed to be ever increasing

Where the going gets tough and the tough get promoted

Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat teams, challenging assignments, great benefits, great salaries

ConsVery demanding clients, challenges of government/military clients

Good work/life balance, can be competitive

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe company offers a good work/life balance by offering flex time and core hours. Performance reviews are conducted once per year, and raises and promotions are merit-based.

ConsSince changing to "satellite" offices, some of the team atmosphere has been lost. Also, it can be competitive between colleagues. Additionally, because they are a large company, they can get stuck in a rut of "this is just how we do things."

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer overhead/admin hours for training, instead of making employees do their required training on their own time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The company is amazing with great benefits, but your client will determine your success.

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsBenefits, great co-workers, felixible hours.

ConsYou really don't work for Booz Allen, you work for a client.....the client is who determines your success.

Internship Program

Intern - Hourly (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsAwesome benefits and salary as an intern and great resources. They always encourage you to learn, they have great networking strategies and events as well.

ConsSome employees did not have an interest in listening to the interns or considering their ideas or work.

Everything depends on the group you work for.

Senior Consultant Level II (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat Training, you work with many great people from different teams and get to work on a variety of different programs which keeps things exciting, great networking events

ConsDepending on what team you work on and who you work for your job can be great or it can be terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome managers need to be more flexible with their staff.

"Sweatshop"

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsBooz Allen does have lots of contracts that you can transfer too

ConsThe corporate structure is built around working hard with little incentive for the said effort. If you have a bad Career Manager, your career with Booz Allen is stunted

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into smaller companies. They may not have as many contracts, but they will appreciate you for the work you do and do the best they can to keep you with them. Also, they have lower overhead and can pay far more that a company like Booz Allen.

My experience with the firm has been challenging and rewarding.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe firm offers great training and educational opportunities.

ConsThe challenges are the firm expects its employees to bill its clients 40 plus hours a week, yet in order to succeed within the firm employees are expected to work an additional 20 hours a week for the firm which can often be challenging if you have a demanding client schedule. In order to succeed you must be connected to your groups inner circle.

Associate

Consultant Developer (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsSalary is Ok benefits are so so

ConsWorking conditions are such that I can't leave my chair for more than 15 minutes at a time

Limited opportunities, no senior management integrity

Program Manager (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsThe flexible work schedule is great as they allow you to work from home.

ConsThe corporate culture has severely declined over the past few years. What was once a reputable, prestigious encouraging and fun place to work has become a cut throat environment where leadership is only concerned with balancing their respective DL/IL ratios (and using guesswork and excel to do so!) and leaving staff to fend for themselves and find their own jobs.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!