Booz Allen Hamilton

2,155 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,304 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 290 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 101 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 111 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

1,060 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working for Booz PRE-Carlyle Buy-Out

Former Employee - Senior Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You felt like you were one of the elite; working for one of the best companies in the market, a company that was very selective about who it hired. The compensation was fair. The benefits were awesome - especially the 401K and training. Leadership knew you and you knew leadership. Career development was the mantra for taking care of staff. The annual assessments were constructive and critical; there might be some hard pills to swallow in the debrief but the information was typically spot-on and was meant to help you grow as a professional.

Cons

Seemed as if climbing the ladder above Senior Associate required someone to retire, die, and/or have testicles - and it required breakfast, lunch, and dinner meetings on a regular basis to "socialize" your career progression. Many of the social events included drinking or golf - what if you didn't like those? They did have a part time track for work-life balance, but that usually meant earning 75% of your prior pay for the ability to answer emails and requests from home and your workload didn't seem to diminish. I fault the very senior leadership for selling out to Carlyle and ruining what had been a great company. Principals and Senior Associates asked if they could buy company stock to help raise money for the "Booz & Company" folks who wanted out of Booz Allen Hamilton and we were told NO. Bad decision.

From what I hear, Booz is now just another Beltway Bandit. P&L are taking precedence over quality deliver and quality staff care because the "P" is expected to be much larger than it had been in the past. To regain the reputation of old, refocus on staff care and quality delivery. Lose the multiple layers of management and "bean counting" that takes staff away from client delivery.

Great company, long history

Current Employee - Lead Associate  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

May not be the marquee name it was a few years ago, but very solid company, especially for veterans entering the workforce

Cons

Upcoming change in top leadership may cause unexpected changes in culture/benefits.

A good company for REALLY hard workers

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is usually interesting work available, and there are some very bright people on staff. The pay is pretty good compared to other east-coast companies. You are rewarded nicely if you pour your heart and soul and weekends in to your work.

Cons

In order to "make it," you are expected to average about 60-70 hours a week. In other places, this might be something that happens every once in awhile, and your bosses notice your extra commitment, but at Booz Allen, this is kind of the minimum level of effort to really get "noticed." This makes it really hard to maintain a good family work-life balance and also climb the ladder.

Really smart people wear down when run raw, especially in situations where the company pits the internal members against each other for success, rather than to work together for a common goal. Need more focus on teamwork.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture and people and the perks we get are great.

Cons

Sometime we need upper management to listen

N/A

Booz Allen Cyber Security Internship

Former Employee - Intern  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Reston, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great professional experience, especially for college students.
    Worked on new techonolgies
    Booz employees are all very driven and professional.

Cons

Not for those who aren't self motivated
    Often was left to find work to remain billable without support
    Hotelling often left people struggling to find a desk

Not bad!

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a cool place to work and grow. your coworkers are nice people

Cons

Managers can do better with their employees and salary is a little bit down

Team Matters!

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Overall, my experience at Booz Allen has been good. That said, I'm on a really good team with Senior Leadership who supports my career goals. It is however important to note that getting promoted at Booz Allen can be a long process. Due to the fact most of Senior Leadership is retired military, promotions at Booz Allen have a tenancy to be based on tenure and not necessarily merit.

Cons

In general, Booz Allen is financially risk adverse. Thus, their not going to back (i.e.financially) an innovative out of the box idea if there's the slightest chance it'll fail and they can't recoup their initial investment. Furthermore, it's a very team oriented environment... you can luck out and get a great team that supports you or you can be unlucky and get a team that's steered by an individual just trying to save his/her job. It really is the luck of the draw! Also, I wouldn't count on a lot of teams working in harmony to reach a specific goal.

Scared money doesn't make money! Also, have faith in your staff no matter their age or years of experience. Be willing to take a small risk on them because it may payoff big in the long run!

So far...so good!

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great on-boarding experience from the initial recruiter contact to the orientation course!

Cons

None yet! I am curious to see how the raise process works since the appraisal period changed after I joined the company. My annual anniversary date yielded a 1% raise, but I have been told that I MAY be considered for a further raise during the formal cycle in January...fingers crossed.

No explanation or discussion with my line of management of the 1% raise I received on my anniversary date. It would be nice to have it explained, e.g. why 1%, any further considerations or things I need to to, etc.

What Could Have Been...

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a whole, Booz Allen was a good company. On an individual level, the staff was pretty nice. The company had great locations and flexible schedules where staff was able to work from the closest location closest or work remotely, if necessary. The pension plan was one of the few nice benefits.

Cons

I was a bit disappointed when I joined the firm as I had better benefits with my previous companies. The compensation was incredibly low in certain service lines so it was a challenge feeling motivated and appreciated. Additionally, senior leadership did not welcome mentorship relationships with the majority of staff and it was difficult to cultivate relationships with them. After the acquisition of the federal practice, the focus was on billability and it was clear that leadership did not care about staff's career goals. Also, there was a lack of distinct culture and the direction seemed to change in certain service lines on a regular basis.

Work on establishing a Booz Allen culture
    Have leadership take a true interest in junior staff
    Improve compensation and benefits

Company in transition

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Booz Allen has a long tradition of successfully adding value to client engagements. We have a corporate culture that is based on teaching, learning and mentoring. People take pride in their work. One could spend their entire career here and have limitless variety.

Cons

The economics of the business is changing. Booz Allen has become a very organization intended to achieve economies of scale. It is also publicly traded which means extra scrutiny on earnings and expenses by Wall Street. Meanwhile, the US government, responsible for 95 percent of firm billings, is interested less in strategic consulting and more in low-cost technology solutions. The good work for generalist MBAs is drying up while there is more demand for commodity contract work. Staff are expected to bill at 100%, and there is precious little time allowed on the beach before an employee is terminated. Morale has suffered. This is not the firm it used to be.

Put the genie back in the bottle; go back to 2005 when contracts were fat, the market was not saturated, and the firm was a partnership.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!