Booz Allen Hamilton

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

273 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I have worked at Booz Allen for three years and had great opportunity to engage in internal capability development.

Lead Associate (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsPeople are very high quality and the firm has great flexible working arrangements.

ConsA lot of changes over the last couple of years have resulted in the firm no longer being able to carry people on non-client work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe frank with employees about their "fit" at Booz Allen.

A good place for an average Joe

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsStability
    Friendly people
    Social culture
    Some training opportunities
    Good history with federal clients

ConsLow salary growth
    Repetitive, dull contracting work
    Conservative, risk-averse culture (perhaps driven by stock price)
    Opportunities limited to Washington, DC area
    Poor management of opportunities for employees (you have to fight to get on a project)

Advice to Senior Managementgive employees an incentive to achieve; be honest about the work people are getting into
    promotions are based on relationships to team and not necessarily on job performance (although that is a component); if you are looking for a consulting experience akin to a big 3 (top performers, exposure to a wide variety of businesses, solving exciting business problems) this is not the place for you

Senior Consultant

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat place to grow your career

ConsNot many team building events or to make you feel like you are a part of a company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of changes in the past few years...

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe team I work with is top-notch. Everyone is extremely smart and very motivated to do quality work. The work-life balance aspects of the job are pretty well-respected and my senior manager has been a great advocate for me during my tenure here.

ConsThe past several years have seen some not-so-great changes to the firm I joined nearly 7 years ago. Everything seems to be governed by cost these days and with contracts becoming harder and harder to win, the "Booz Allen" quality vs quantity equation doesn't seem to be working out. I used to consider myself an employee of the firm first, and a contractor second. Not anymore...

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink the way you communicate major team decisions to lower and middle range employees; be up front about the total change in policy regarding no "beach" anymore since that has come as a total surprise.

Less competitive pay, but flexibility goes a long way

Associate (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat values, benefits, training, and work-life balance - particularly if you firmly make it a priority. Many jobs require no travel. Some bright and wonderful people.

ConsLess competitive salary for the industry, limited control over project assignments. Some dead weight on staff since there is not an "up or out" mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a separate business development team for proposal work.

Great place to expand skills, build a network and do meaningful work

Lead Associate (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsBooz Allen stresses the importance of delivering the highest quality both in the products produced for clients and in day to day client interactions. The compensation is fair and promotions up to the Associate levels are within the reach of anyone willing to work hard.

ConsIf you want a job the work-life balance is reasonable, if you want a career then it is work-work, not work-life. There are big differences in how teams operate within Booz Allen, so it is more like a lot of little companies within the company, this can be difficult for new employees to determine if their concerns are the company or the team they are assigned.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to have a way to make decisions faster, push decision making down to the lowest level possible.

great opportunities but you need to make your own way

Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

Prosworking with talented people and doing interesting work. if you find the right mentor you can do very well

Conscorporate policy and processes are constantly changing.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep connected to the day to day issues of your middle managers. too much time is spent on corporate reporting and "managing the business" and all of this time is not billable to the client. we can't bill internally either so we don't report it and just "suck it up"

Excellent company, excellent teamwork environment.

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsTeamwork is highly encouraged. Personnel are highly professional and the work environment was very conducive to customer support efforts.

ConsUpward mobility was limited. Resource allocation for customer support could have been better managed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

2 years with the firm and so far, so good

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsCulture: The firm and my management team really care about my work-life balance. I rarely have to work past 7pm or on weekends. Also, since we have 360 degree reviews, upper management treats junior consultants pretty well.

Training: The firm offers many opportunities for training both in classrooms and online.

Resources: Given the firm's size (25,000+ people), consultants can email functional communities for help with client questions and firm data

ConsCulture: Limited interactions with people outside of your project team--Employees have to make more of an effort to network within Booz Allen since we often work on client site and barely make it to a BAH office.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for staff to network within the firm.

Venerable company struggling with transition

Washington, DC

ProsThe most dedicated professionals in the government consulting industry. A real pleasure to work around top caliber people motivated by the mission. And ethics still mean something here.

ConsHistorically, Booz Allen always paid less but the opportunity to work under great leadership and pursue a career here made up for that. The new value proposition has the job (and career) ending with the contract for more and more people, making Booz Allen too much like its higher-paying competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership seems to have trouble enunciating a vision and executing against it. Major firm-wide policies are rolled out and then quietly abandoned 6 months later. Senior leadership should focus more energy on firming up client connections.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!

Booz Allen Hamilton Videos

Booz Allen Hamilton – Why Work for Us?

We're looking for people with brains and heart. We believe in vision and passion. Being part of something bigger than a company or job matters to our employees. When you join Booz Allen, you’ll help some of the most… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booz Allen Hamilton reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Booz Allen Hamilton CEO Ralph W. Shrader. All 273 reviews posted anonymously by Booz Allen Hamilton employees.