Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Ralph W. Shrader
1,409 Ratings

Great People

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent coworkers and staff; able to rely on the team to get work done

Cons

Lack of communication from leadership; below average compensation

A reduction in benefits over the past few years to satisfy stakeholders are decreasing employee morale.

Quite Satisfied, but it all depends on your group

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

My group supports a great work-life balance, which is important to me because I have two young kids. My salary is competitive and above average for my Associate level, and my client is fantastic, so I am very lucky there. Benefits are competitive, including a little-known $2500 for each employee each year to seek out certifications, which is on top of tuition reimbursement. Booz Allen is widely known to have a great reputation. You keep your client happy, and Booz Allen is happy, and so far that has come back around full circle in compensation to me.

Cons

Like any large corporate engine, it can take a lot to get things, especially more expensive things, accomplished. But, that being said, if it's reasonable, it benefits the client, and there is a budget for it, it just needs to be justified adequately and the Firm will typically support it.

Keep rewarding top performers. Money is the number one motivator!

3. Working here has helped me gain great experience, as well and opened my eyes to management consulting and government.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very interesting culture I never was a management consultant before, so I didn't know what to expect. Love the salary, experience gained, and interacting with co-workers as well as clients. Depending on the project, there is never a routine day.

Cons

When a project ends, it ca be nerve-racking trying to find a new project. There's always the fear of being let go.

Less strenuous review assessment process.

Lost Its Reputation

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When BAH was privately held, the reputation was valid. We were an ethical company that provided a good return on the clients' investments in us. The firm supported the employees with great benefits (ECAP) and kept people on when a contract ended or a position was de-scoped while they (both the employee and the firm) looked for another contract. I felt valued and well compensated.

Cons

That all changed when the Carlyle Group bought out the private side. After a couple of years, the BAH leadership took the firm public. And everything went downhill from there. It was clear that the shareholders were the most important part of the equation. People were no longer kept on whilst looking for another contract, wages began to freeze, raises (if you were lucky enough to get one) went from 6% (my average) to 1% within a year (and I had the best performance review I'd ever had!). The quality of people hired was far below what it had been due to the lower salary they began offering. Many of the best leaders left the firm or were let go after years of employment. Benefits were cut drastically. The ECAP became a 401K with standard matching. With ECAP, the firm contributed an average of 10% of my salary while I never contributed a dime. With the 401K, I was required to contribute and with the matching, the total was far less than the ECAP.

Even though the compensation and benefits decreased, the expectations of the firm remained the same: MUST work on proposals (above your billable hours), the assessment process ("revised" almost annually to "improve" the process) remained time consuming and ridiculous (even though one can only record 8 hours for the effort), and the ethics which had been so valued began to erode. I personally brought an ethics violation to my management, it was investigated, and even though all agreed it was a serious violation (on top of other well documented performance issues), the firm decided to retain the employee because "we need the billable hours he/she brings in".

Go private! It was a disaster the first time and it's a disaster now. Clients are starting to realize that the Booz Allen Hamilton they thought they knew is no longer. Become ethical again! Get rid of unethical employees and show those that are ethical how much you appreciate them. It's sad what has happened to a once great company.

6. Approaching Two Years and Still Impressed

Current Employee - Associate III in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate III in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Professional, credible, impressive, and driven employees. Great work environment and culture. Opinions and ideas of personnel at all levels is routinely sought and genuinely appreciated. If client facing, contract expiration does not immediately mean loss of employment - assistance provided to find billable work.

Cons

Annual pay raises and promotion process not fully understood by some individuals and first-line supervisors.

I was an IT Strategy and Enterprise Architecture Sr. Consultant at Booz Allen.

Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, available leadership, open to innovation

Cons

compensation grows slower than the rate of advancement

Reward employees for loyalty (through compensation). A Lead Associate who started as a consultant and worked his/her way up makes significantly less than a Lead Associate hired from another firm because the low incremental pay increases don't keep up with the market.

8. Losing its charm

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Large footprint with a lot of reach back capability

Cons

Losing its perks, stove piped capabilities, and becoming a labor factory

Go Private Again!!!

Associate: PhD scientist in a technical consulting role

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with multiple client organizations and gain valuable and varied experience. When I started in 2008, the total benefits package was great - the firm contributed 10% to my retirement account (regardless of what I contributed) during profitable years. There was a high level of professionalism at the firm. The firm offered a good work-life balance.

Cons

There were few opportunities for promotion to middle or upper management for people with technical backgrounds like myself. Contributions by the firm to employee retirement accounts were being scaled back in a stepwise manner when I was leaving the firm in 2013, the first step down was to ~7%, and I recall that a subsequent step down to ~5% matching contributions was planned for the following year. There was no bonus structure in place for any employee below Senior Associate. Compensation was lower than many competitors, I feel that this was due largely to upper management staff not billing to client engagements.

Please respect, nurture, and listen to your technical staff. Compensation tends to be a bit lower than competitors and few opportunities for promotion will continue to result in high turnover of technical staff especially given that job security was diminishing toward the end of my time with the firm.

10. Excellent people with great energy

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with very solid people from all over the world who are experts in their fields. High level contracts in both the Government and Private Sector.

Cons

Subject to contract renewal and successful re-bids to remain on the contract.

11. Interesting Work with Great Colleagues

Current Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Despite its size, Booz Allen remains dedicated to providing excellent service to its clients and a great place to work for its staff. The biggest pro for Booz Allen is the quality of staff. I've never worked with a group of colleagues more consistently creative, intelligent, and hardworking. Another fantastic aspect of this firm is the amount of self determination allowed at all levels of staff-- if you don't like what you're doing and have other opportunities for client work, management will help you make that transition; if you have a great idea, management will support you as you drive it forward.

Cons

As with all consulting firms, finding and keeping billable work hangs over the heads of each staff. While management does a good job with finding work for staff, should you find yourself on the beach for an extended period of time, you may find yourself out of a job soon thereafter.

Junior staff needs to better understand how to funnel their ideas to the decision makers. While they know that management will support them, the channels through which these ideas get realized aren't always clear.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos