Booz & Company

Updated Jun 15, 2014

Booz & Company CEO Cesare R. Mainardi

Cesare R. Mainardi

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fascinating projects with brilliant colleagues

Consultant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros- Top tier talent; seriously, some of the smartest people you can ever hope to work with all in one place!
    - Very cool projects: Booz is less focused on mega-transformation projects than McKinsey. Smaller firm means smaller, sexier strategy projects are still able to make a dent in the P&L
    - Great brand: globally #4 and in fact #1 throughout the entire ME region.

Cons- Probably fewer slide production/graphic design resources than some of our bigger competitors
    - Less scale means less expertise. While it is very cool in some ways to be on the first team to tackle a particular business problem at Booz, it can create a lot of work since our solution is entirely new. McKinsey and BCG for instance, being bigger, have more resources for more types of problems, so there is less reinventing the wheel and therefore better WLB in some cases.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on the path you're going. The changes such as the project index and global culture survey have done a lot for work-life balance and culture improvement. Looking forward to seeing the next thinking on workplace of the future and flexible work arrangements.

subscale global GMC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome great people
    Great start to a career - broad exposure across industries
    Good Ops capabilities

ConsAcidic culture
    Most partners are there for themselves - willing to do whatever it takes to the rest of the staff to improve payout for the partners

Advice to Senior ManagementFind mechanisms to cull out partners that have retired, but are still there

Great firm

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsSmart people, firm committed to development

ConsFirm strategy hasnt flowed externally or downwards

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on brand

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good firm with strong career growth

Senior Associate - SA2 (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosintelligent people, strategic projects, good location, interesting work, nice people, good recruiting, growth potential, free stationary, nice laptop

Consheavily dependent on some clients

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Great company, great CEO

Summer Consultant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe best CEO in management consulting

ConsDon't trust your colleagues, they can be your enemy

Very professional, very intelligent, but literally no room for creativity and thinking outside the box

Summer Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood camaraderie among dedicated professionals who are bright and talented.

ConsVery, very rigid culture which requires you to stay within a particular type of style and approach - this applies to thought process, design of models and presentations

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease allow some creativity to flow through the organization by minimizing the need to follow a set approach. You are gifted with being able to start again as a new company born out of a legacy one. Make sure the entrepreneurial spirit is nurtured not trampled.

Empowering and enlightening

Principal (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsExcellent people, great mentoring, collaborative clients

ConsTough competition, insufficient training, lack of leadership focus (at times)

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on training can help get more leverage and growth out of all staff.

Great experience working with them

Consultant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAllows employees to focus early on in the career

ConsStill trying to create a brand - althought it is top ranked

Advice to Senior ManagementGood firm - with a lot of Pro's unfortunately still ranked 4th when some of the people here are quite brilliant

Company deep seeded in business history

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsBooz & Company is a global consulting firm that advises businesses, government ministries (outside the U.S.), and institutions around the world on issues of strategy, organization, operations, transformation and information technology. It holds expertise in a vast range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, chemicals, consumer, energy and utilities, financial services, health, industrials, media and entertainment, oil and gas, retail, transportation and others. Ninety years of consulting results in impressive milestones. Currently the oldest management consulting firm still in business, we have had a hand in the creation of the contract system for Hollywood movies, overseen the merger of the NFL and AFL, and steered the Chrysler Corporation out of bankruptcy. We pioneered the concepts of human capital, product life cycle and supply chain management, all mainstays of business and consulting today. And at the most fundamental level, we originated the term “management consultant”. Our focus on strategy consulting has persisted since 1914, when founder Edwin Booz first began advising clients to help them maintain a competitive advantage.

ConsToo low profile at times. Need to improve on bland recognition and improve exit opportunities for current consultants.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job staying away from A.T Kearney. That was a sinking ship

Claim a fair environment with merit based rewards, in reality immoral and highly political

New York, NY

ProsGreat people at the firm, some of the best I have worked with. True leaders can be found at Booz & Company, though unfortunately, very few at the management level. Booz is also a great place to learn and grow.

ConsDo not promote based on merit, despite what is advertised. Also, have denied full-time employment to interns based on visa issues which interns were not notified of before agreeing to summer internships.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease start to reward your employees based on merit (both for promotions and bonuses). They deserve it. Additionally, do not offer internships unless interns can be offered full-time positions, or notify interns of any restrictions beforehand.

Worked for Booz & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booz & Company reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Booz & Company CEO Cesare R. Mainardi. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Booz & Company employees.