Borden Ladner Gervais LLP

Updated September 24, 2014
2.9

Sean Weir

A learning experience

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I loved working here, the people are great, I always felt appreciated.

Cons

When I decided to make a move I realized I was grossly under paid in comparison to my colleagues, I fought many times to get a fair increase and it just never happened.

I understand Calgary is a tough market to remain competitive in, however, if you want to maintain quality staff, proper salary increases may be a good start.

Mediocre firm with good intentions

Former Employee - Lawyer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generally a friendly group of people who for the most part have good intentions. Lawyers are valued much more than the admin staff who are treated as commodities.

Cons

High levels of turnover, no real leadership. Very conservative place to work and people get frustrated trying to make the firm a better place, only to be met with bureaucracy.

Management should take more time to listen to everyone, not just the partners. Sometimes partners have only their own best interests, and not that of the firm.

IT Staff: Good experience overall. Psychologically unhealthy work environment due to management personality traits.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company, exposure to cutting-edge technology, great benefits, great people, very busy environment, very appreciative "clients" - i.e. staff and lawyers.

Cons

Fear of making a mistake/displeasing the boss is the teamwork's driving force. It stalls projects and requires unnecessary long paper trails for justification of any action. Micromanagement. Work environment that nurtures emotional detachment form the result of your work.

Tyranny is not the only form of management, it is destructive and not sustainable in long term.

Current staff member

Current Employee - Anonymous in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I can't think of any pros, unfortunately.

Cons

Dingy and dirty physical premises - at least where I work. We are just bodies here, not people with any value to the firm. Very impersonal. No appreciation for consistent above-average effort. HR department is unresponsive to issues. Pay is low compared to similar firms.

Treat people as valued employees and not just with a gift during Staff Appreciation Week. Reward efforts. Don't assume all staff have the same worth. Have dusting done more than twice a year. Pretend we deserve it.

Great experience but wouldn't want to go back!

I have been working at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP

Pros

- variety of areas of law
    - nice people

Cons

- long hours
    - flawed review process

- learn to foster diversity

Great experience, fast-paced, made me want more

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP

Pros

Best thing about working for a big firm is that most technologies are state of the art.

Cons

Sometimes a corporate environment can get pretty negative.

Sweatshop. Avoid.

Former Employee - Lawyer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary. Lawyers in some practice groups seem to be more genuine than in the others.

Cons

The company lacks culture, vision or goals. Seems to be like a collection of professionals busy surviving on a day-to-day basis....Lots of sharp elbows and backstabbing is prevalent. Partners hoard the work. The associates fight for the dwindling number of hours with few opportunities to learn and advance.

Basically, it is "Wild Wild West...." Beware and enter at your own risk.

Don't just focus on PEP or top line revenues on an annual basis...Look at the future and create (or share?) strategies on where the firm will be in 10 years from now. Focus on homegrown talents instead of looking for laterals.

Hands-on, in-depth, no work-life balance.

Former Employee - Articling Student in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Articling Student in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Hands-on experience. Lawyers on the corporate side are truly committed to the articling students development and provide an appropriately styled learning environment.

Cons

Work-life balance may suffer while articling here, but that is standard for the industry and articling generally.

More contact with the student director and student committee would be a plus.

Increased monitoring of the articling students time and lawyer demands.

Worst Firm in Toronto

Former Employee - Legal Assistant, Securities & Capital Markets in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are really no pros to working at this firm. They vet their staff as though they are criminals and upon leaving the firm, they don't allow their lawyers/law clerks to provide verbal references to the staff under threat of reprimand. If they weren't a legal firm and impossible to prosecute, they would be out of business.

Cons

- Legal Assistants have to use the cheapest supplies or inadequate resources.
    - No floaters to cover sick or vacation leave.
    - Staff are expendable and anything you do that is considered by a lawyer or anyone of higher rank to be in appropriate means immediate dismissal. Furthermore, they lie about the reason for your dismissal and make you sign a waiver that you will not sue the company. As incentive to sign the waiver, they offer you two weeks pay, and as a newly unemployed person with bills and a mortgage, most people take the money.

- There is absolutely NO job stability. People that worked at BLG for 25 years were let go for no reason, without warning or other disciplinary action.

- By far the worst part about working at BLG - their recruitment process is like trying to enter the pentagon. You must undergo a criminal record check, a CREDIT CHECK (it's true), and at least 2 references must be called and spoken to. HOWEVER - should you leave the firm, they REFUSE to allow their lawyers to give legal assistants a referral!! HR will give you a letter stating the dates you worked and your basic job description. That's it! If a lawyer is caught giving a reference for someone, they are reprimanded.

This is by far THE WORST LAW FIRM IN TORONTO. Don't work there!!! It's not worth it.

You need to value your staff more and treat people with respect. The working environment amongst the assistants is toxic because of how unhappy everyone is. And not letting lawyers give referrals?? DISGUSTING!!!!

Admin staff are not valued in this firm

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

From the point of view of an administrative employee, many of the lawyers are very appreciative of good staff - more than I encountered in my previous firm.

Cons

Exceptionally poor management. HR is typically unresponsive when asked for assistance - worst I've ever seen. A bit like a sweatshop in some regards ... expected to churn out the work and not complain. An HR overhaul is badly needed. Pay is low compared with other very large firms.

While "it begins with service", you need admin staff to assist with servicing your clients. Care about your people and show an interest in keeping them happy and loyal by responding when contacted. We are PEOPLE, not numbers.