Borden Ladner Gervais LLP

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sean Weir

Great experience, fast-paced, made me want more

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP

ProsBest thing about working for a big firm is that most technologies are state of the art.

ConsSometimes a corporate environment can get pretty negative.

Sweatshop. Avoid.

Lawyer (Former Employee)

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSalary. Lawyers in some practice groups seem to be more genuine than in the others.

ConsThe company lacks culture, vision or goals. Seems to be like a collection of professionals busy surviving on a day-to-day basis....Lots of sharp elbows and backstabbing is prevalent. Partners hoard the work. The associates fight for the dwindling number of hours with few opportunities to learn and advance.

Basically, it is "Wild Wild West...." Beware and enter at your own risk.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just focus on PEP or top line revenues on an annual basis...Look at the future and create (or share?) strategies on where the firm will be in 10 years from now. Focus on homegrown talents instead of looking for laterals.

Hands-on, in-depth, no work-life balance.

Articling Student (Former Employee)

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP as a contractor for less than a year

ProsHands-on experience. Lawyers on the corporate side are truly committed to the articling students development and provide an appropriately styled learning environment.

ConsWork-life balance may suffer while articling here, but that is standard for the industry and articling generally.

More contact with the student director and student committee would be a plus.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncreased monitoring of the articling students time and lawyer demands.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Firm in Toronto

Legal Assistant, Securities & Capital Markets (Former Employee)

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey are really no pros to working at this firm. They vet their staff as though they are criminals and upon leaving the firm, they don't allow their lawyers/law clerks to provide verbal references to the staff under threat of reprimand. If they weren't a legal firm and impossible to prosecute, they would be out of business.

Cons- Legal Assistants have to use the cheapest supplies or inadequate resources.
- No floaters to cover sick or vacation leave.
- Staff are expendable and anything you do that is considered by a lawyer or anyone of higher rank to be in appropriate means immediate dismissal. Furthermore, they lie about the reason for your dismissal and make you sign a waiver that you will not sue the company. As incentive to sign the waiver, they offer you two weeks pay, and as a newly unemployed person with bills and a mortgage, most people take the money.

- There is absolutely NO job stability. People that worked at BLG for 25 years were let go for no reason, without warning or other disciplinary action.

- By far the worst part about working at BLG - their recruitment process is like trying to enter the pentagon. You must undergo a criminal record check, a CREDIT CHECK (it's true), and at least 2 references must be called and spoken to. HOWEVER - should you leave the firm, they REFUSE to allow their lawyers to give legal assistants a referral!! HR will give you a letter stating the dates you worked and your basic job description. That's it! If a lawyer is caught giving a reference for someone, they are reprimanded.

This is by far THE WORST LAW FIRM IN TORONTO. Don't work there!!! It's not worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to value your staff more and treat people with respect. The working environment amongst the assistants is toxic because of how unhappy everyone is. And not letting lawyers give referrals?? DISGUSTING!!!!

Admin staff are not valued in this firm

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFrom the point of view of an administrative employee, many of the lawyers are very appreciative of good staff - more than I encountered in my previous firm.

ConsExceptionally poor management. HR is typically unresponsive when asked for assistance - worst I've ever seen. A bit like a sweatshop in some regards ... expected to churn out the work and not complain. An HR overhaul is badly needed. Pay is low compared with other very large firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile "it begins with service", you need admin staff to assist with servicing your clients. Care about your people and show an interest in keeping them happy and loyal by responding when contacted. We are PEOPLE, not numbers.

Rewarding place to work if you are willing to go the distance.

Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP

ProsThe work is challenging, the hours are sometimes crazy but all in all it is very rewarding. I was able to learn a lot and advance my career significantly.

ConsTwo things: Meetings and time entry. Too many meetings and too many places where work must be tracked (the systems don't talk to each other).

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen the time needed to fill the paperwork required to do a task is longer than the time needed to do the actual work, it is time to revisit the process and change it.

The norm.

Equity Partner (Current Employee)

I have been working at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP

ProsThe salary is extremely high, with equity partners regularly earning more than 500,000. Recognized and respected throughout Canada.

Borden Ladner Gervais offers great room for advancement, and extremely good support staff.
Facilities and offices are top-notch.

ConsLittle interaction with other attorneys, highly competitive work environment.

Efforts to build social interaction seem forced, despite the high costs of elaborate Christmas parties and other outings.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat support staff and articling students with more respect.

professional service firms are very much like your dysfunctional family

Business Development Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP

ProsMultiple industries to focus efforts.

Cons725 bosses plus your real bosses.

Advice to Senior Managementstrategy is an overused concept if you are not applying things today.

Worked for Borden Ladner Gervais LLP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Borden Ladner Gervais LLP CEO Sean Weir. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Borden Ladner Gervais LLP employees.