Borders Reviews

Reset
2.7
Borders President and CEO Michael J. Edwards
Michael J. Edwards

Pros
  • The customers, the people that you work with, discounts on books and music (in 26 reviews)

• They had a nice employee discount (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management, Direction of company & loss of culture (in 32 reviews)

• not a lot of room for advancement because there is not a lot of people leaving (in 8 reviews)

1. New to Borders, but enjoying it so far!

Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Getting back to core business. They are very people orientated. Good benefits, excellent compensation for what I do.

Cons

Company is in trouble finacially and that is scary. Technology is seriously outdated. SOP's and synergies are outdated, old or non-existent.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on being simple. Sell, books, movies, music. People are extremely loyal, hard-working and love Borders. Encourage and build on that!

2. I miss it....

Former Employee - Cafe Seller in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cafe Seller in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great team Great customers Pay was ok

Cons

Lack of hours Lack of growth Snobby customers Store closing

Advice to Management

Maybe yall should pay attention to more of the employee concerns if you are worried about numbers in the store. Most of our customers were returning customers so that whole Border Rewards percentage calculation was bs!

3. A good one

Current Employee - Bookseller in Griffith, IN
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Griffith, IN

Pros

The flexible schedule, the people, love of books and being appreciated.

Cons

No pay raises. Pushing us to books for donations to locale charities. This went on for way too long.

Advice to Management

You needed to come down and do undercover boss and see exactly how things really were in the book selling trenches. But I guess your lack of concern in this area (our area), shows since you let the company go under.

5. A great place to work, while it lasts.

Current Employee - Seller in Highland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Seller in Highland Park, IL

Pros

Opportunity to connect with people through books and music. It's a sales job without having to be an aggressive sales person. Hard work always goes noticed. being able to check out books has helped me develop into a very well read person. It calls for independence and self motivation while working as part of a team.

Cons

The company is facing challenges so getting hours cut can be a regular thing. There seems to be a huge disconnect between the home office and the stores themselves, they work in different realities.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more consistency, more accountability. Needs to make it easier to fire bad apples as they can bring a whole store down very quickly.

Nice place to work if you like your coworkers

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

great discount; typically your coworkers are well-educated and interesting; always discovering cool new books and music; customers generally treat you well

Cons

low pay; you end up spending all your money buying books and cds; you have to work late and come in early on weekends

Advice to Management

allow more room for promotion from within; less hours on registers (vary it a little); allow people to switch departments

7. Good

Current Employee - Cashier in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Gurnee, IL

Pros

Good environment, fun atmosphere, books and discounts are nice

Cons

Customers, hours, computer systems/rewards system/coupons errors.

Advice to Management

N/A

8. A Place To Be Missed

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

The People. The product. The customers.

Cons

Could be stressful at times due to the uncertainty of the compaies fate.

Advice to Management

Wish they could have saved her.

9. Great Staff, Great Supervisor, Troubled Company

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Borders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company wasn't doing well, but the people that worked alongside me turned what could have been an entirely negative experience into a mostly positive one. My Supervisor, who was the District Manager of the Chicago Market, was a strong leader. He was honest and fair. I learned a lot from him and my time spent w/ him has helped in my post-Borders career. My staff and colleagues, meanwhile, were equally strong. I learned as much from my subordinates as I did from my supervisors. We were in a sinking ship, and we knew it, and we worked together to keep it afloat as long as we could. I worked in three separate stores while I was with Borders, and each experience was similar to the one before it; great staff, great supervisor, troubled company.

Cons

From the onset of my employment, the company was in financial crisis. E-books were killing brick and mortar book retailers, and making our store monetary goals became more and more challenging as time went on. Everyone on staff knew that the book industry was in trouble. This made for some stressful situations. Company-wide conference calls were disheartening. Corporate management was panicked, and focuses were changing weekly in a desperate attempt to find something -anything- that would reverse the trends of the business. It was hard. And, ultimately, nothing worked. The company eventually closed its doors and we all lost our jobs.

Once a magnificent store, could be again...

Current Employee - Bookseller in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Chicago, IL

Pros

Love working with Books, and customers. Each day is different and you are certain to have a variety of experiences. Customers often need personal attention, and you may find yourself spending 15-30 minutes helping someone locate or order a list of titles they must have. Often books are turned to as a source of solace and you find yourself helping customers dealing with the death of a loved one, a child diagnosed with autism, or someone who's just discovered they have cancer. You can make a difference in people's lives here. Your co-workers are often wonderful, and a real community develops.

Cons

Seriously cutting hours and demanding the impossible in sales in this terrible economic climate.Management has loaded sellers with too many tasks, with too little value given to customer interactions. Each store has unrealistic sales goals in this economic mire that we find ourselves... people are saving money for gas. This used to be a place I couldn't wait to go to each day, now with the cuts and penny-pinching customers are not a priority and sellers are not valued or honored for the many skills they must have to do the job well. Intelligent, capable sellers are the cornerstone of a bookstore.

Advice to Management

Sell it to amazon! You have already announced we are up for sale. So let's sell to someone with the resources to run our stores well and with pride. George doesn't care if we are selling Shakespeare or shirts. Borders booksellers do. They work for Borders because they love what they sell, as well as the bright and interesting people they work with.

11. OK Retail Experience

Former Employee - Bookseller in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Deerfield, IL

Pros

Relaxed environment and flexibility with schedule. It was fun having the opportunity to stay current with trends in literature.

Cons

Corporate management didn't seem to know how to best run the company and keep it in business. They were clearly not listening to their associates on the selling floor who had day-to-day interactions with the customer base. Several marketing and product campaigns fell flat because they were tone-deaf.

RSS Feed </> Embed