BorgWarner

Updated November 4, 2014
Updated November 4, 2014
4.1

James R. Verrier

Pros
  • Opportunity for advancement, Promotes from within, Good benefits, Fair policies (in 6 reviews)

• Good people and exciting engineering (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was not the best a large amount of time (in 4 reviews)

• automotive industry is one of the first sectors to layoff in an economic downturn (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Global Supply Management Intern in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Global Supply Management Intern in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at BorgWarner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great company with a good working environment, the ability to learn was great. I felt comfortable asking questions to those above me and enjoyed the experience overall. Full time employees seemed to have a good work life balance and could easily manage responsibilities in a timely manner.

Cons

As an intern, I found myself with not much to do sometimes which could be frustrating. I wanted to be as helpful as I could be but often found there wasn't much for me to do. I also got to know a few other interns in different departments with the same issue.

Create a more structured internship program so that the interns are able to feel useful the entire time they are there.

HR Co-op

Current Employee - Human Resources Co-op/ in Seneca, SC
    Current Employee - Human Resources Co-op/ in Seneca, SC

I have been working at BorgWarner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They will give you infinite opportunities if you make it known you are a high performer and want to move to the top. Borg really harnesses assertiveness from sharp, young minds.

Cons

The manufacturing industry can be a bit boring at times. The people I work with are cool but it's not really a "really exciting place to work!" type of atmosphere.

Devote more of your recruiting efforts to your co-ops and interns. They are the future of your company. By 2020 millennials will account for approx. 75% of the workforce. When you all of your management is upper 40s and up, it's discouraging for a young professional to pursue that company. Need strategic development plans for positions. You pay well, so offer the rest of the package and this company will do big things.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at BorgWarner

Pros

Down to earth coworkers, great development opportunities for the right people, and great benefits. The company gives back to its employees.

Cons

Most locations are in a rural setting, which could be a positive for some!

Great place to work, however a bit too slow to adapt to changes in the current business climate

I have been working at BorgWarner

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere. Management very laid-back and open to talk to. A lot of work available to do. Very stable and good future growth path.

Cons

Behind the times. IT and web infrastructure very outdated for today's industry. Whereas the company's products are cutting edge, software tools are in the stone age. Workplace is also very rooted in tradition and slow to adapt changes. Requires lots of politics to get high enough to inspire important changes. Very traditional workplace.

Invest in internal infrastructure upgrades. Bring about new tools and focus more on their value added benefit rather than cost. Elevate more young individuals into top level and leadership positions. Allow them to bring new thinking and further grow the company, don't stifle them.

Fantastic group to work with

Current Employee - Launch Management in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Launch Management in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at BorgWarner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

laid back managers and a very inviting culture.

Cons

it seemed like there was a lot of turn over amongst mid level buyers

bring back interns. why do you invest all that time and money in them if you are not going to hire them full time?

Great Experience

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Fletcher, NC
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Fletcher, NC

I have been working at BorgWarner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay, Good benefits, good work environment

Cons

Not very clear paths for growth and advancement

Career development

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at BorgWarner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company invested in interns. We traveled to three different site which was pretty awesome.

Cons

All the plant locations were not very fun.

Great internship

Former Employee - Operations Intern
    Former Employee - Operations Intern

I worked at BorgWarner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Support from the company was really good - housing provided, travel to and from site was paid for, and the access to management was fantastic. People are busy but really willing to make time and meet to hear you out. The training and initiation was also pretty thorough.

Also, if you're starting your career there, it seems quite easy to move around and work on whatever interests you, which is a big plus if you don't want to get stuck doing one thing or if you aren't 100% sure what you want to work on. Management tends to be quite young, so there are certainly ways to move up quickly if you're willing to put in the time.

Cons

Communication between divisions, and even between product lines, could definitely be better. There's a lot of talk about each little group reinventing the wheel every time a problem comes up, but efforts to improve collaboration seem to be a little slow.

The flip side of the easy-moving and youthful management mentioned above is that there was quite a lot of internal turnover during my time, which doesn't seem to be atypical. The company is growing quick and moving, internally, even quicker.

The focus on speeding up growth is good, but make sure that the company can stand the pace without fragmenting too much!

A solid company with good benefits that rewards outstanding employees.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at BorgWarner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you put in your time and have the good ability you'll be rewarded with growth opportunities. The 401k match is the best I've ever heard of. Healthcare benefits are average.

Cons

Work life balance can be an issue. The international supply and customer base can require long hours. Staffing is a concern as it is at most American firms. You get the feeling that the company could be so much more if we were more willing to invest in new products.

If BorgWarner wants to be a real technology leader, you need to invest more in product development.

Great experience!

Former Employee - Intern in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Intern in Asheville, NC

I worked at BorgWarner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, fantastic work environment, and good/flexible hours. They put large amounts of research into all of the produce and it shows.

Cons

Limited opportunities for promotions, and some degree of lack of communication between departments.

Keep up the Good work!