Borgess Health

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paul A. Spaude

PCA position is a perfect college job

Patient Care Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Borgess Health part-time for more than 5 years

ProsClose-knit environment, competitive salary, it's nice to wear scrubs everyday, cafeteria, employee recognition, opportunities to pick up extra hours on other floors/hospital units.

ConsUnion issues, a lot of lazy people work here in general, 3 day of sick time a year for a hospital employee is ridiculous, the hospital itself is dirty and not cleaned well despite attempts to improve environmental services.

Viability concerns, union conflicts and ineffective senior management cause frustration and anxiety.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Borgess Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAt the operational level, people generally pull together to get the job done, and there was sometimes a feeling of camaraderie.

ConsTrue leadership is lacking, allowing conflict to build. Lack of funding means continuous cutback in all support programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBorgess Hospital cannot effectively compete in all clinical areas with Bronson. Make the major changes (and cuts) that are necessary to build a strong and viable (if much smaller) organization with a future. It's no fun working for an organization that's dying by degrees.

Cardiac stress testing technician

I have been working at Borgess Health

ProsCompetitive wages, hospital provides significant amount of vacation time and paid holidays, good benefits and retirement plan, good hours and schedule flexibility

ConsManagement is disconnected from their employees. They do not listen to suggestions. Employees are just a number. Rude coworkers with no consequences for their actions. Too few employees for tasks to be completed at a quality level.

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy employees = happy patients receiving excellent customer service

The place to work that cares

Interim Infection Control Manager (Former Employee)
Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Borgess Health as a contractor for less than a year

ProsCaring and concerned about associates.
Nice area to work. Good history. Ascension Health is a caring, proactive organization. Provide continuing organizational and clinical education. Concerned with prevention, not reaction.

ConsNone different from anyplace else.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving forward; change is a good thing.

Good place to work

Care Center Coordinator (Former Employee)
Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Borgess Health part-time for more than a year

ProsNice employees, great hours, great benefits and pay

ConsI couldnt find something I didnt like

Consistently working short staffed!

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Borgess Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork three days a week for full-time (12 hour shifts).

ConsConstant nursing shortages every shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more nurses so you don't burn out the ones you have.

Excellent Job!

Patient Safety Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Borgess Health

ProsWhen I worked there, I created my own schedule to work. They hand you a blank calendar and you mark the days you want to work an 8 or 16 hour shift. You call them the days that you marked and they'll tell you if they have a room for you or not. Great pay as well!

ConsThe only real downside I could see is that it's not a very steady income if they don't need you on a lot of the days that you had put down to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy supervisor was absolutely wonderful to me and all I can say is just keep doing what you're doing because it's working!

Great place to work... for Doctors.

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Borgess Health

ProsGood place to work. Great benefits and fairly casual atmosphere. Hands off management.

ConsAs a business professional, you will feel second class to the medical professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget that your business professionals are just as important as your medical professionals.

Eh.

Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Borgess Health

ProsExcellent job security and benefits. Decent pay, including having a lot of "per hour" positions rather than salary.

ConsThe management is...lacking. They typically don't ask for the opinions of their employees, and when they do, they don't use it. Time can be hard to get, depending on the shift you work. There are a LOT of fat cats getting paid a bunch of cash to do little to no work, and the little guys are the ones who suffer because of it. The hospital has had a lot of financial problems lately, mostly because said problem with waste/time theft.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the waste, streamline things, and get rid of non-essential "high paid" personnel.

Mostly Positive

I have been working at Borgess Health

ProsProvides lots of employee support for personal issues.

ConsIt's Catholic, so it doesn't covering family planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementCover family planning supplies

Worked for Borgess Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Borgess Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Borgess Health CEO Paul A. Spaude. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Borgess Health employees.