Boscov's

Boscov's Chairman & CEO Albert Boscov

Albert Boscov

Great place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLiked the incentives offered for hard workers. Always felt recognized and appreciated. Liked how it was possible to actual help customers instead of take their $ and push them out of the door.

ConsBathroom/ break room too far from all the departments. Didn't feel well versed on company services for pt employees, and the other employees where not friendly unless in your department.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe hold a store meeting at night around. 6 or after close to make sure everyone is up to date. Make sure there is back up for short departments with only one employee.

It's all what you make of it

ProsGenerous employee discount. Somewhat relaxed work environment (depending on your department & job level within the company). If part-time, hours can be somewhat flexible & most managers try ("Try") to flex full-time hours to accommodate employee needs. If given advancement opportunity, can work for the comany a lifetime.

ConsLittle opportunity for advancement, as most management-level employees have worked for the company many years (15+). Availability windows for taking vacation & personal time are very restrictive. Must wait a year before eligible for 401K. In many cases, one or two co-workers carry the whole department, while others are not held to same performance standards. While it is good for a retail organization to be customer-oriented, there are many times that customers are allowed to take advantage of the company, or co-workers feel as though they have to give in to even unreasonable demands; the slightest expression of customer unhappiness, and even some policies go right out the window & co-workers are forced to cave in. Many customers take advantage of this, which is stressful to employees.

Alright

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, mindless work, discount

ConsTerrible management, scheduling was hectic, thought you had no life

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house for management and treat your workers with more respect. For a lot of us this is a second job and don't need to come to another stressful job.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible store- DO NOT WORK HERE

Newark, NJ

ProsThe job itself is pretty eawsy. Put things away and ring customers up, that's it. If you can do that you're golden. Glassdoor won't let me enter my town, I worked in Deptford, NJ

ConsThe pay is terrible, the customers are complete jerks, management is really rude. One time they called me out on a mistake for 3 weeks in a row on a weekly memo that went to the entire store. Seriously? The store is also old and gross, everything is falling apart. People peed/pooped in the dressing room and we were expected to clean it up. We were also expected to constantly be doing loss prevention duties while doing our own job. Uh isn't that why you hire loss prevention?

Advice to Senior ManagementJust give up and sell your store to someone who knows what they're doing. Your return policy is bankrupting your company. I was had a manager tell me I had to return something that had been peed on and was 1 year old just because someone had a receipt and the tags were still on it.

Decent

Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee)
    Woodbury, NJ

ProsCo-workers are awesome, with the exception of some of the commission co-workers who act like their bleep don't stink.
    The customers and awesome, most are loyal customers who will come back to Boscov's only to see and be helped by you.
    Full time employees get a vacation and 2 personal days after only 6 months of hire.

ConsUpper management doesn't focus on every department, they pay attention to certain departments and forget about ones who could use their help.
    The budget for busy departments is too low, a departmen that makes 10,000 a week, should have more than 140 hours to split between 5-6 workers, it leaves spots for poor customer service.
    Upper management does not pay attention to the horrible jobs the department managers do in most departments. The department managers leave work that is impossible to complete on 1-2 people on a busy day while they are off talking about nothing related to work.
    Upper management allows certain areas to break the rules and leave their department unattended which then in return is poor customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to upper management is to pay closer attention to your department managers, make sure the work they are claiming to have completed is actually completed by them.
    The assistant store manager should pay closer attention to the busier departments and increase their budget, upper store management cannot complain about tasks no being completed when coverage is inadequate for the tasks to begin with.

Drama!!! High School and very unprofessional environment!

Department Manager (Former Employee)
    Harrisburg, PA

ProsThis is a company you can advance quick in and may be a good place to learn the basics of a career for a resume!

ConsIf you stay too long you will deal with head games and start to feel worthless because you will walk around on egg shells. The staff and management are emotionally immature people and have no problem embarrassing the people making them the money! They will work you into the dirt and if you complain they'll whip you!

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up! Get the chip off your shoulder and park your bad mood at the door! Stop pointing your finger at others because you suck at creating a harmonious work environment! The customers pick up on it ... that's why your numbers are down! Stop nit picking!

I found working part-time at Christmas challenging, frustrating and satisfying.

Frederick, MD

ProsLiked the customers, for the most part. I worked in petites and jewelry.

ConsLack of training, learning under pressure, inflexibility on certain tasks (like checking dressing rooms every 15 minutes), sometimes felt that security (Loss Prevention) was unnecessarily focussed on me (although I understand that employees are frequently responsible for loss)--it makes for an uncomfortable working environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve staff in decision-making. It would be nice to feel part of the team.

Fun place to work

Selinsgrove, PA

ProsIt is alot of customer interaction combined with sales experience and product knowledge. It can help a person get some good work experience.

ConsNo place to sit. Ever. My experience had my job changed and later fired with no warning. I was told I had complaints against me was not told what they were.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to tell an employee what they did wrong.

Pleasant work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPleasant work environment with friendly and helpful co-workers

ConsEmployees are not offered consecutive days off

Advice to Senior Managementoffer at least one consecutive days off a month

Under-appreciated by human resources and managers think they don't have to work.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Egg Harbor Township, NJ

ProsShopping Discount and first pick at sales

ConsHard workers aren't appreciated, but the slackers get away with everything. Managers can hide upstairs all day and not help their staff. So much drama between coworkers. If your manager is selfish, they may keep you from a promotion by slacking on reviews and denying transfer requests so you don't leave their department.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention to what your dm's are doing while at work. Don't see hard workers as just the ones who open all the charges, but the ones who perform the hardest in other areas.

Worked for Boscov's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boscov's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boscov's CEO Albert Boscov. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Boscov's employees.