Bose

Updated December 18, 2014
3.8

Bose CEO Bob Maresca
Bob Maresca

Pros
  • There is a good work-life balance, rarely a call for more than 40 hrs (in 25 reviews)

• People are nice and there is an overall collaborative work environment (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately, not all middle management takes that to heart (in 9 reviews)

• Currently work-life balance off kilter but management is responsive and starting to focus on priorities (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Love this company and all the opportunities I have been provided over the years

Current Employee - Senior Administrator in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Administrator in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Bose full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy the flexible hours. I have had really good mentors. I'm proud to say I work at Bose.

Cons

The salary could be better. The raises even when you score high aren't that great.

Communication not only in regards to your own organization but in regards to all of Bose is critical.
    Employees don't like to feel they are being kept in the dark.

Great company but absolutely zero upward mobility beyond middle level management.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bose full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent company if you are applying for a director level position and you don't currently work at Bose. Maybe some chance for career advancement if you are a severe brown-noser.

Cons

Only a select few continue to get promoted, and in their new roles they only hire others from outside the company. Directors are always hired from the outside, and immediately look to hire outsiders to protect themselves, and to perform the job that supposedly they were hired to do. High performing long time employees that continue to deliver results are never considered for any of these higher level positions. New hires have no care about the Bose culture and it is slipping away.... Most companies look for opportunities to keep their high performing employees by promoting from within. Not here.

Do you remember when Bose gave YOU the opportunity for a higher level position, and when you failed you were promoted to an even higher level position? How is it that those that you stepped over getting to where you are are not given the same opportunity as you?

Worked for Bose for about 2 years as a Graphic Designer with the marketing team on off role basis

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Delhi (India)

I worked at Bose

Pros

Appreciative Senior Management, Smooth work flow, opportunity to learn a lot

Cons

You are treated as a slave and expected to be your manager's pet
    On rolls will be given a different treatment all together.
    Salary slab is too low.
    Helpless HR
    Too much work pressure and growth is difficult

Been there 10+ years. Like many places there is good and bad.

I have been working at Bose

Pros

flexibility, work life balance, image

Cons

compensation is light, growth has blockers...preach collaboration and respect but some roles aren't included in collaboration and roles/value to the company isn't respected

better communication on various activities. just because someone has been there a long time doesn't mean they are management material

Good environment

Current Employee - IT Help Desk Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - IT Help Desk Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Bose

Pros

Best place good people keep the same

Cons

Na nothing wrong best place

Na

Great company to work for

I have been working at Bose

Pros

Privately held and independent company that pursues long term research unhindered by external pressures

Cons

Company offers limited career growth opportunities

Bose is a great place to work!

I worked at Bose

Pros

While the interview process at Bose is very long and in-depth, once you are in the door you will realize it was worth the trouble. Everyone I worked with there was extremely smart and good at what they did. They were motivated and put in a lot of effort, and expected the same from their co-workers. Bose celebrates accomplishments and encourages teamwork. The values of the founder are still evident everywhere in the company.

Cons

This isn't a knock at the company, but a con for me was that the job I was in wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be and I ended up leaving, but on good terms.

Sales Specialist

Former Employee - Full Time Sales Specialist in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales Specialist in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Bose

Pros

Not much other than Bonuses if you met certain sales goals that the company dreamed up, but if you worked in a low wage area, or store with low income purchasers this is impossible to attain.

Cons

Management that lives a very HEALTHY lifestyle forcing the sales specialists to do all the legwork, and if you miss a week b/c of nobody coming in... then it's your job they cut.

Don't base a sales persons skills and success on reviews and reviews only... some people do not work well with someone looking over your shoulder grading your every word, gesture and look. More people will succeed if you just use realistic ways of grading performance, like are they really making sales or not... I was the top to second sales person in my store from the day it opened in Grand Prairie, but b/c I couldn't pass the grades that they use to determine if you are a "great" salesperson, I was fired after being given 6 weeks to correct like 5 pages of nitpicking little things that nobody could do even if their life was put on the line. It's a sure-proof way of being able to let a person go. The truth is I had a wreck and had to have a surgery, was put on restrictions that made me unable to perform my duties to the extent that I was hired to do, and b/c my doctors had no intentions of lifting my restrictions anytime soon, I'm actually totally disabled now, they made a laundry list of crap that they could use to let me go if I did even one thing wrong... literally one of the things on the list was "not maintaining eye-contact with the customer at all times"... seriously, you have to look at the product your going to sale at some time so you can point out things. Another was not greeting the customer with enough enthusiasm... so I started pretty much running up to people with the biggest smile on my face, their response: your still not enthusiastic enough. Hah! Other employees there, who had the same exact "issues" are still there, it was just a way to get rid of a potential physical injury in the store b/c of my back issues.

Relaxed environment, many musicians, excellent colleagues

Former Employee - Development in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Development in Framingham, MA

I worked at Bose full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Satisfaction of producing high-quality products
    High quality of people
    A strong sense of shared goals of solving problems
    unusually high sense of connection - we eat lunch together, have coffee together, etc.
    I've seen complaints of not being able to have coffee or food at your desk, but this forces us to meet together in the cafeteria, which creates connection I haven't seen in other companies.

Cons

Politics / less emphasis on performance
    Very slow salary growth
    Limited growth opportunities
    Becoming large, with many reorgs, lots of procedure

Increase focus on recognition of accomplishments
    decrease role of who you know

thinking of leaving soon

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Bose full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good people and quality products

Cons

no opportunity to advance, salary is very low comparatively, long work hours are expected

catch up with the rest of the IT world and pay women the same salaries as men in the same positions and/or same years of experience. I have only had 2 promotions in 15 years, and would not have received those if I had not fought for them. Meanwhile, I see the same names getting promotions every other year or so. My reviews were stellar when I worked for a manager who understood my job and was working within a group who all had similar skills and roles. Now I am getting mediocre reviews for the same stellar performance just because my manager does not understand what I do, and I am the only person doing this type of work in the group.

Bose Photos

R&D building on "the Mountain"

+ Add Photo