Bose

Updated January 23, 2015
3.8

Bose CEO Bob Maresca
Bob Maresca

Pros
  • There is a good work-life balance, rarely a call for more than 40 hrs (in 25 reviews)

• People are nice and there is an overall collaborative work environment (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately, not all middle management takes that to heart (in 9 reviews)

• Currently work-life balance off kilter but management is responsive and starting to focus on priorities (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic company

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bose full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great training and benefits. Fantastic products. They set you up with everything to succeed at your job.

Cons

The early morning hours to open up after you closed the night before got annoying, but that was more the situation at the time than anything that could be done on a managerial level.

Don't work your district managers so hard.

Exceptional benefits at all levels

Former Employee - Demonstration Specialist in Howell, MI
    Former Employee - Demonstration Specialist in Howell, MI

I worked at Bose full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bose offers a very competitive benefits package including a pension and tuition reimbursement for any full time position. They also foster open communication at all levels and place great emphasis on employee relations. Team cohesiveness is heavily encouraged, with bonuses tied to team performance.

Cons

Pay is not competitive given the expectations of sales associates in all markets. Sales goals are inconsistently achievable and are not adjusted to reflect any circumstances beyond the control of employees.

Relaxed work environment...too relaxed.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Bose full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

TONS of downtime.

Corporate training module designed to really prepare you for your job.

Decent pay for the amount of work you'll do.

Excellent discounts on product.

Cons

Raises are awful, you'll be lucky to get 1-2% per year.

Corporate is more interested in their agenda than their people. This wasn't the case 10+ years ago but the corporate mentality has changed.

Products are generally behind the times. Bose used to be a leader in technology, now it waits until the technology is commonplace before introducing it into their products.

No consistency between divisions of the company. The store can trade in your damaged product for one price, but you can almost guarantee that if you call tech support, you'll pay less.

Opportunities for promotion are few and far between.

Be consistent! If PTS offers a trade for one price, make that THE price so that customers don't get angry thinking the store staff is trying to screw them.

Stand behind your loyal employees! Don't be afraid to stand up to a rude customer or a terrible employee to back up a consistently good and moral employee.

Be a leader in technology again! If you want to compete with Beats and so on, you need to be willing to take risks and introduce cutting edge technology.

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Plastic Engineer IV in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Plastic Engineer IV in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Bose as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great Company legacy. Great Work place. close to Boston.
    great to products. Great Technology.

Cons

Cold weather. separated buildings. Parking problem. Cold weather. separated buildings. Parking problem.

You are good . I have nothing to say

Industrial Design Intern

Former Employee - Industrial Design Intern in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Industrial Design Intern in Framingham, MA

I worked at Bose as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Really nice people and a relaxed work environment. Bose is not a publicly traded company so there are no pushes and deadlines like you see at other, publicly traded companies who have quarterly goals etc. That being said everyone works very hard and the creative process is very valued.

Cons

Knowledge of Pro-E isn't required but is "nice to have". Dress code is a bit stiff for what the usual industrial designer is used to...though it's not an issue.

Productive

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Blythewood, SC
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Blythewood, SC

I worked at Bose full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

When I worked at Bose we use to take test to get raises and promotions that was a good incentive.

Cons

They change the way they did the tempory employees just moved them from department to department after they had been train well in one.

Listen to employees more.

I enjoyed working at Bose.

Former Employee - Bose Change Management Specialist in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Bose Change Management Specialist in Framingham, MA

I worked at Bose as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with. The job expectations were well defined. They have a good work/life balance. The company provides sufficient resources to do projects correctly. The work environment is comfortable and well taken care of.

Cons

They have a quirky rule that you cannot drink coffee at your desk, which I really missed. However, to be fair, their rationale was that they wanted you to take coffee breaks and to go to the cafeteria to relax and speak with your coworkers.

The management team I worked with did a great job. I felt they were fair and set reasonable expectations. The provided plenty of support to help me "get up to speed" when I first started working there.

Amazing company.

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Birch Run, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Birch Run, MI

I worked at Bose full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Bose for 2.8 years. I loved every single minute of it. The benefits are absolutely amazing, the staff I worked with was amazing. This is a company where corporate connects with employees at every level. There is even a site called "The idea network" where associates can post the ideas that they have while other associates from around the world vote on the best ones. I had many ideas implemented while at the company. The pay is absolutely amazing for a retail company. Lets just say "Double Bonusing" in December will give you enough money to buy a car. As a full timer a regular bonus in December for hitting all of our metrics was $1,092 Double bonus is $2184. It is a friendly but competitive atmosphere; we knew when to be professional and when we could goof off. Which I personally think is important in a company. Of course there was no goofing off while customers were around.

Cons

The business is declining, goals were sometimes set too high and would discourage associates from wanting to give it there all, management sometimes could not understand exactly what associates wanted.

Listen to the team sometimes. Promote from within.

Store Manager (retail)

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Bose full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work-life can be great unless you really want to advance, then your free time gets eaten up

Good discount on product 30-50% off sticker

Decent pay for management (not competitive, but good.)

Mostly downtime unless you want to get a promotion

Used to give lots of free product - this will come around again once the retail side shakes off poor upper management

Company has a huge focus on culture and values

Cons

Loads of work to get promotions/1-2% raises yearly if your boss is feeling like they like you

No promotions to be had unless someone dies/leaves

No competitive pay for retail associates $10.50/hr management starts at $11.50/hr, store managers are paid $40k+, with exceptionally slow raises

Upper management is concerned with profit over people - normally not a terrible concern, but a complete 180 from 10+ years ago

Upper management is consistently showing a disconnect between what's going on in stores and what they are dictating

Recent changes to bonus payouts gave most people a pay cut - which is what management wanted, but smaller volume stores are still benefiting from larger volume stores (a store that is slated to do $4m in a
    year could receive no bonus, but a store that does ~$1m could garner $10k+ in bonuses)

Top performing 'acting' managers are kept in 'acting' positions with lesser pay than their counterparts, leading to exhaustion and overwork, not to mention hurting morale (Store manager given 'acting' District Manager status, not paid as much, after extended periods of time and asked to remain in 'acting' role

Promotions seem to come from tenure rather than work - hit or miss with this one

Don't promote someone because they have been here forever. Dig deep into the core of your problems - we've lost demonstration standards, hiring standards, promotion standards, and more.

Somewhere along the way, you decided that it was 'ok' to not be the sharpest because 'he's been here for a while' or 'they make good words go together;." Stop accepting mediocre results and allowing excellence to be stifled.

LET YOUR PLAYERS PLAY! If you have people who are good at something, check your ego and let them innovate. Just because it wasn't your idea doesn't mean it's not a good one.

Stop allowing bad promotions and renew your interest in people who are passionate about the company and its wellbeing rather than those who are just saying what you want to hear to get ahead. This one is huge - you are chasing people away that are literally crying because of some of the bone-head decisions that are being made.

It's Retail

Current Employee - Demonstration Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Demonstration Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bose full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good. I left the company with plenty of product! There are bonuses (if you can qualify) and health insurance if you need it (I didn't at the time)

Cons

It's near impossible (on a rotating yearly cycle) to hit the numbers to bonus. My first year we bonus, some times double, and the second year we didn't at all. This tends to be the trend, so don't bank on getting the monthly bonuses.

One would think the upper management would be great, seeing what an amazing man Dr. Bose is, but they are not held to a high standard. After reporting my store manager for her behavior, I had a x on my back, and was gone a few months later. I left because of the behavior of my store manager and the lack of care taken by the district manager and corporate.

Bose Photos

R&D building on "the Mountain"

+ Add Photo