Boston Beer

Be The First To
Add Photos

Boston Beer President, CEO, and Director Martin F. Roper

Martin F. Roper

Amazing work environment... but you have to be willing to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBBC is an environment where you can learn and advance your career every single day. The org structure is flat. Everyone is approachable. Those that succeed here are those that are willing to ask questions, get involved and show a high work ethic. It's not for everyone.

ConsIf you're interested in working here just to get free beer and hang out, you won't enjoy the experience. Work/life balance can be challenging. Priorities shift. You MUST be able to multitask and manage up. Prepare for your opinions and comments to be challenged.

Advice to Senior ManagementMust address the comp gap.

Managment doesn't treat hourly employees well.

Brewer (Current Employee) Breinigsville, PA

ProsMoney, free beer, lots of work are all good things that come with the job. I've been with the company for over 10 years and have seen it all.

ConsMismanaged company that starts with the owner. If this company made anything other than beer, which has a huge profit margin, it would surely fail. Ideas are constantly ignored and work life is of no concern to the hourly employees. There's definitely a difference in the way salary and hourly employees are treated and viewed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to your roots and listen to your hourly employees who build your company from the bottom. Without them you'd have nothing.

Great people, slow to change, disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople make this company; strong bond within team is a huge plus and helps when things are extremely crazy (almost always); open communication between levels of the company, as well as sales and breweries; free beer and other perks; senior management (namely Martin Roper) very smart and a good leader; a lot of work to do...which means both good opportunities (if you can find the time/work even more hours) and/or it becomes life consuming

ConsPoor internal systems and processes (both IT and people) - some attempt to upgrade; compensation is below the expected hours to work; corporate mobility is limited - big chasm between director-level and entry/mid level employees; seem to make same/similar mistakes consistently - partially due to fast pace work environment and "get it done" attitude which limits learning and revising processes for the future. Sales slightly rogue from corporate direction (very much to do with communication issues, geographical difference, and amount of work/expectations on them).

Advice to Senior ManagementReview and align company strategies with goals, metrics, and compensation for all levels of the company. When a strategy is decided (say - "Lead with Lager") don't *wink* after the fact and say a different brand is really the priority.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful Company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsRelaxed, passionate, lots of opportunities, great continued training

ConsSome disconnect & communication issues between departments

Brewery Ambassador

Brewery Ambassador (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAbsolutely an amazing experience! The job is dynamic, very active, hands on and impactful. The management team truly values the employees and supports them constantly especially with training. Everyone shares a passion to do their best.

ConsThere is none that I can see. Yes it is customer service and at times the amount of visitors does get to be a big amount but at the end of the day it's worth it and everyone on the team supports each other.

Amazing people...overworked and underpaid

Brewery Representative (Current Employee)

Pros-PEOPLE and culture: fun, supportive, talented, hard working, non-judgemental...friends for life! Team outings or work trips always involve fun outings and this group really likes to drink and party

-Perks: corporate card, dept/team trips, free internet, cell phone, computer, 80% gas paid, $500 a mo tax free for car

-Customers: industry in general is full of fun loving people. Some can be sketchy but all in all these are people who love to drink and have a good time

-Job stability: after 30 years still continue to grow in a stable industry. Management is understanding of small mistakes

-Training: wonderful sales, negotiating, and beer training

-Upper Management: extremely talented and smart, dedicated to growth of company and employees, non micro managing and understanding of issues

-Work from home: some aspects of this like making own schedule are great. Monday mornings are spent "in the office" aka at home in pajamas

Cons-Increased goals without additional compensation. Employee survey reports over 70% feel they cannot achieve work life balance and aren't compensated what they should be

-High stress work environment with long hours and pressure to achieve multiple types of goals

-Inconsistent expectations between immediate and upper level management as well as between managers at the same level

-Evening and weekend work (promotions in bars, catchup from week)

-Lack of autonomy and lots of corporate processes..lots of check ups on your weekly schedule and appointments, evaluation days bimonthly, must be done in "boston beer" way. Unlike upper management, middle management seems to be about 50/50 praised or not liked

-Call quota: all entry level employees are required to make 45 sales calls a week or 180 sales calls a month, which can become very tiring and time intensive (follow up is often necessary), market managers (manage wholesalers but do not manage a sales rep) are required to make 60 sales calls a month

-Isolated from coworkers: everyone works from home in their respective market. Long days on the road can get lonely and must be self sufficient

-Limited opportunity to change roles...the majority of Boston Beer employees are in sales. There is limited to no opportunity to become a part of the marketing, tech, legal, or finance team as they are very small and all in Boston. Sales is located around the country in their respective territory and like most outside sales you must be open to moving to be promoted unless your immediate boss goes elsewhere. In sales the roles are entry level account management, managing a wholesaler as a district manager (necessary to become a national accounts manager), various levels of national accounts managers on and off premise (call on major chains such as Chili's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Safeway, etc), regional managers (around 25 in country) and divisional managers (5 in co)....most of your career here will be spent as a sales rep, district manager or National accounts manager, so if this is not of interest this is not the job for you

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease compensation as you increase expectations and grow. You will loose talented employees to higher paying CPG competitors or to other sales/marketing jobs. Employees have formerly reported feeling overworked and underpaid via hr survey yet nothing has been done about it. Fun events and "great people" can only keep tired employees on board for so long..

it was a cool job, but you have no life

Brewer (Former Employee) Penns Park, PA

Proscool culture and free beer

Consyou are just a number

Advice to Senior Managementpractice what you preach

Brewery Representative

Brewery Representative (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat culture, training program and peers. Tons of interactive employee engagement. Asked to provide feedback monthly in anonymous surveys to better the company. Upward mobility. Lot's of sales incentives to earn extra money.

ConsMy local culture does not reflect the companies culture. Work/life balance is off. Very little exposure to management other than who I directly report to.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen promoting people, consider that they may not be a good fit for managing others. While we have a no retaliation rule, people are still afraid to speak negatively of their direct manager. We need an anonymous way to better manage our managers.

Great company

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) Breinigsville, PA

ProsPassion for brewing and providing drinkers with an exceptional product line

ConsSlow to no upward growth

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to grow and change as company expands

Excellent company, lots of overtime, and great benefits

QA Technician (Current Employee) Breinigsville, PA

ProsVery family-oriented, the co-workers are great, and the benefits are very affordable.

ConsThere is no lack of overtime, take that as you will. There is some lack of communication but with all the company growth going on it is almost to be expected.

Worked for Boston Beer? Contribute to the Community!