Boston Business Concepts

Profile Unclaimed

Boston Business Concepts Reviews

2.7

Kevin Graziano

A different kind of challenge

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Boston Business Concepts as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere of the office is so up beat and fun. You'll learn a lot about sales and mostly learn to talk and how to persuade people. It's something you won't ever learn in a regular job.

Cons

A long hour of walking. The office hour before going out is kind of waste of time.

Be honest and say it's a door to door sales not B to B.

Good Opportunity but it isn't for everybody

Former Intern - Full-time Sales and Marketing in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Intern - Full-time Sales and Marketing in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Boston Business Concepts as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The employees all like to have a good time and do a lot of activities together outside of the office. This is a good job for a hardworking person with little or no education. If you work hard enough, you can become a manager in less than two years. This job is actually a good opportunity but it is not for everyone.

Cons

You only get payed if you make sales and the hours are extremely long. You have to be in to the office at 11:45 and won't leave until around 8:45. You are also in the office from 11:45 until around 2:00 and from 8:15 to 8:45 everyday without getting payed. You do fun things in the office like play games but what is the point when you aren't getting payed and you could be out making sales; it's just a waste of time. You are doing door-to-door sales which they don't tell you until they hire you. They offer to pay half of your gas if you make $700 in sales which isn't too bad but they don't offer a full reimbursement for gas unless you make $1200 in sales which nobody has ever done.

Don't encourage employees to lie to customers and tell potential employees exactly what they will be doing before you hire them.

Great experience in sales and marketing

I worked at Boston Business Concepts as an intern

Pros

I did a winter internship at BBC. I liked that it was a paid internship due to the base+commission option. The bonuses for gas reimbursement and health insurance reimbursement were great too even though I didn't need benefits. They even started reimbursing for gym memberships for employees, I just wasn't there long enough to take advantage of it. THe office was up beat and relaxed. Music was playing alot and we all hung out a lot outside of work.

Cons

The hours were longer than what I expected for an internship. Alot of my friends had internships that were only a few days a week. The manager did say that I can come back and finish my training after graduation since I put the hours in during the internship. I was a little lost with things at first because my training in the field was done by a newer trainer but the in house classroom style training helped me pick everything up.

Keep doing the in house training during the 1st week. Make sure that newer trainers know how to train. Good idea to start the gym memberships. Love the gas reimbursement since I had a 45 min drive to the office.

My experience at BBC is both exciting and memorable.

I have been working at Boston Business Concepts full-time

Pros

BBC is not only filled with learning and growth, but it is a place that I am excited to go to every morning when I wake up. The work environment is indescribable. I have never worked with a better group of people. Everyone cares so much about your own personal growth and success. I've learned so much not only about the work that we do, but about myself as well. This job teaches you personal life lessons and skills that you will continue to use for the rest of your life.

Cons

You succeed and you grow and you will eventually move on and open up your own business, leaving your colleagues behind. The friendships that you gain, however, are unforgettable.

Keep up the great work

Perfect for people who are starting their career

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Trainer in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales Trainer in Woburn, MA

I worked at Boston Business Concepts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I think that BBC is a great place to work for people that don't have a lot of experience yet in the professional world. One of their main things seems to be giving a start to people that are motivated and ready for the beginning of their career. Obviously not everyone will eventually open up their own office but it's amazing experience and at the very least a great resume builder. The amazing people and great atmosphere is just an added bonus.

Cons

The atmosphere can be distracting if you are not an energetic people person yourself.

Keep up the business trips!

Place is a joke - Door to Door sales - Have fun!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Woburn, MA

I worked at Boston Business Concepts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None! Anyone with half a brain would not work there. Selling Fios door to door.

Cons

There are to many to event get me started!
    1- They LIE!! It is door to door sales! Hiring manager does even mention door to door sales
    2- Drive your own car! No gas reimbursed!
    3- Work 60+hrs week. If you make no sales = no money!

Stop lying to applicants and running a shady business

Didn't Mention it was a Door to Door Sales Job

I worked at Boston Business Concepts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People who worked there are really energetic and awesome. Vince is a cool guy and fun to hang out with
    That is really the only positive thing about it.

Cons

Worst job ever. You basically walk door to door selling Verizon FiOs in all weather conditions. The pay sucks and is straight commission. If you do not want to travel around the state selling tv and internet plans, do not waste your time with this company

Tell the people who are interviewing the actual details of the job. The turnover in the office probably would be a lot lower if people knew what they were getting themselves into.

Sales Position

I worked at Boston Business Concepts

Pros

Commission based pay, 100 per sale. Pretty good hours, 12-7. Good boss too.

Cons

Have to sign up people on the spot, no cards or secondary sign ups.

Doesn't live up to the hype

I worked at Boston Business Concepts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Awesome people: Every day, the team has fun playing games, learning, going out to lunch, etc. Everyone is friendly and willing to get to know you and include you. They are eager to help and train as you need it.

-Learn great skills: In training, it is important to know your 4s, 5s, and 8s (sales tactics, parts of a sales pitch, and putting in a full day's work essentially). You can use these in any walk of life; even in your personal life sales skills are sometimes necessary. You get over your fear of rejection and learn to rebut objections. You learn to talk to strangers and build rapport.

Cons

There are so many, where do I begin?
    -They never mentioned it was door-to-door sales. In my interview, the CEO mentioned D2D, small business, larger business, and government sales types. He made it sound like we would cover up to government sales with businesses mixed in. Not true. In my second interview, door-to-door was still never mentioned. I got a call from my trainer suggesting to bring comfortable clothing, but I was still not told that it was because we were going to be outside for 5 hours walking around. It wasn't until we were on our way out to the field that I found out.
    This means rain, shine, snow, cold, hot, humid, sick, healthy, etc. It leads to a lot of turnover because most people don't want to put up with these working conditions. Half of my training class was gone in the first week.

-Schedule: I was told that the position was 12:30-8:30. (This should have clued me in that it was D2D sales.) It is not 12:30-8:30. It is suggested that you get to work no later than 11:30 so that you can learn and put on a good face for the company. One employee told me he was there every day around 10:45. The day also does not end at 8:30. It ends at 9pm after the final manager meeting. Oh, and surprise, you're also working on Saturday from 10-3. This was also not conveyed to me.

-Training: Perhaps my experience just wasn't a good one, maybe it's this way with the whole company. I got only mediocre training. Some of the important skills were never taught to me. I don't know if I was expected to figure them out on my own, or if I could call when the situation arose, but this isn't the way you send new people out into the field.

-Pay/Benefits: There is no paid time off. If you want time off, it comes straight out of your paycheck because you won't be in the field making sales those days. The pay is risky too. You can choose $300 a week + 25% of the commission, or 100% commission. Each sale pays around $100. If anyone cancels their installation, you do not get paid for that sale even though you have done what is expected of you. BBC advertises that gas is reimbursed if you make your quota. That quota is $700 a week which only a few people achieve. With all the money you spend driving to and from these territories, the pay hardly balances out. Not to mention, you don't have much of a personal life to spend money anyway since you're only off one full day.

Be honest in interviews. Let interviewees know that it is door-to-door sales and that they will be expected to work 6 days a week. I understand you want to glamorize the position and make it sound attractive, but that only increases the let down when they find out what the job is actually like.

Be wary- some succeed but most do not

Current Employee - Account Manager in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Boston Business Concepts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One pro is that it is very easy to get a job at this company because their job turnover is astronomically high. Another pro is that the company culture is very upbeat and fun to be a part of. You will play games in morning meetings and managers always are coming up with fun incentive based activities and contests. Another part is you will be training every day working on your sales skills and product presentation.

Cons

Unfortunately this company often makes working there sound a lot better than it really is. They advertise in their job description that the position is a account manager and that their is no cold calling on the telephone at all. What they fail to mention is that the job is entirely door to door sales- face to face cold calls basically. If you are able to make sales everyday you will make a fair living compensation on a full commission basis is decent. However many people do not make sales consistently, in fact a significant percentage don't even make the three required a week to be eligible for the optional base salary ( which is extremely low) which you can decide to take instead of the all commission based approach. They also will say that they cover half of you gas expenses during the work week. Unfortunately you must make over $700 in sales to be eligible- something only about 3-5 people will make in any given week. Because it is territory based sales you will be required to travel all over the place and usually the new people are given overworked, low priority territory. The top performers ( usually the same small group of people) are given the best territory including fresh doors that have never been hit before. Also they often will not make sure that their employees have necessary permits to work certain areas. Many employees are thrown out of towns and harassed by cops- losing important opportunities for sales. Also your pay check will often be much lower then expected. If any customer cancels before their install date you will get absolutely zero commission for the sale- even though you did your job perfectly and accomplished what you were supposed to. You don't get paid right away for training you have to first make three sales by out on your own and even then its only a two hundred dollar "training bonus" Because you work 6 days a week including Saturday this means you are paid much less than minimum wage for training. You also will receive no paid time off - no vacation, sick, or personal time at all. This is not to say you can not succeed, some people definately do at this job if it suits them. However if you are not very good at door to door sales then you will have a hard time paying the bills. Also do not be fooled by all the positive reviews on this site- there are several posters around the office urging employees to give positive reviews on glassdoor.com. Promotions below assistant manager come with no salary bump. You still make money the same exact same way- by hitting doors and making sales. You will just not have the added responsibility of training others below you.

Please be more honest about the job when advertising for it. Say that it is door to door sales, not being forward is an ethical problem. Give employees better benefits and make the base pay more competitive and pay reasonably for training.

Boston Business Concepts Photos