Boston Consulting Group

Boston Consulting Group Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Boston Consulting Group President and CEO Rich Lesser

Rich Lesser

Pros
  • Great work life-balance on most days (just make sure you get the right manager)(in 25 reviews)

• You will work with very smart people and learn about different industries(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance stinks, variability of assignments has some cons(in 113 reviews)

• Undefined project scope are becoming more common, resulting in long hours of work(in 81 reviews)

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Consultant

Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsA super transparent company, you know where you stand, what you are good at and what you need to work on. You will always have the tools and support to succeed. The best co-workers ever ! So smart, friendly, engaging, diverse. The company takes care of you bigtime. Excellent benefits and perks.

ConsLong hours, unpredictable case assignments, travel.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work to make consultants happy and engaged!

Great development opportunity for Associates!

Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosexposure to variety of industries and functional areas,
    working with great people- very smart and open to coaching
    interaction with super senior clients

Conslong hours
    travel gets tiring after some point

Very good

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat platform, great benefits, great culture

ConsBureaucratic, limited career options unless you want to make Partner

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at BCG has been an amazing learning experience

Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- You get to work with very talented people
    - Access to huge array of learning tools (database of past cases, e-learnings, etc)
    - Exposure to top management when working with the client
    - Flexible work environment (ability to work from home, etc.)
    - Prestige
    - Constant travel provides you with many perks (Platinum membership at SPG resorts is pretty sweet)

Cons- Project staffing can be hit or miss

Advice to Senior Management- Would be nice to be able to make the leap to Consultant without an MBA

I've never been treated better by an employer.

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThey say they care about your work life balance and they actually mean it. The people that work here are smart, competent and still know how to have fun.

ConsCould use more money, but couldn't we all?

Great global firm, some offices better than others

Principal (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsInteresting and exciting job content; great learning opportunities; smart and fun colleagues; exposure to senior and impressive client executives; excellent comp and benefits; quick career advancements

ConsHard to achieve great work/life balance; lots of travel; long hours; quality of local leadership varies quite a bit between regions and offices

Advice to Senior ManagementMake BCG a truly global company; reduce importance of offices; reduce gaps between offices; let go non performing partners sooner rather than later; focus more on commercial capabilities

Great place to start a career

Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBCG has really amazing people to work with and will expose you to much more than any typical starting job.

ConsNot every project is a great one and you need to be able to adapt to lots of change. Even though you're always doing something different, as an Associate it's easy to be ready to do something else after two years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow that the economy is picking up, retention is going to be an issue. Need to do more to manage that side of things.

Too much jargon, not enough focus on people

Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsVery smart colleagues.
    Good pay
    Good brand to have on resume

ConsConstant negative and vague feedback
    No focus on keeping top talent

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be in the people business you should try to retain top talent

It sucked but I would do it again.

Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople here are super, super nice; really smart but also caring and considerate.
    And, key point, the connections and resume boost when you leave are totally worth the investment.

ConsUnfortunately, and regardless of what the brochure says, this is not a place that retains women. To do well here, you have to put work above absolutely everything else, and it's quite rare to find normal, nice women who are willing to do that. So the female principals and partners tend to be workaholic, pretty mean, and type A - not good role models for the rest of us, and not people who I want to consider mentors.
    Also, the culture here is highly evaluative - feedback is great, but the amount we receive here on few data points in intensely stressful. And they are *terrible* at recognizing and lauding strengths -- feedback is always strong oriented toward the negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure your CDC process actually does a very good job. If you have not worked with local officers, the decision process is based solely on what your CDC advisor says - and if he happens to be shy or not have done his research correctly, you've got a problem on your hands.

Great company with good opportunities and very poor senior management

Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsExtremely high caliber of consultants, demanding and challenging work, some access to high-level clients. Generally BCG pays attention to work life balance and tries to look after consultant's sanity. Pay is very good, and so are the bonuses. Benefits are excellent, healthcare coverage is superb. BCG gives you the opportunity to travel overseas and work in different offices if you like that, but does not force you to travel internationally. Generally, BCG is not very hierarchical, so partners and managers look for input from more junior consultants. Finally, BCG loves feedback, so you get it frequently and it is very much encouraged.

ConsWhile BCG tries to look after your work life balance, often it does a poor job of it, and you end up working 80-100 hour weeks. In the SF office, management has done a terrible job of communicating with junior members. Staffing is extremely opaque; consultant's input is rarely taken into account; it's mostly about what the company needs and not at all about what you want or need. The day after our CEO came and talked about no layoffs, the office senior management laid off a number of junior consultants masquerading that as the "up-or-out" policy. Extremely shameful and disappointing. I've lost a great deal of respect for BCG.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to consultants, respect their comments, provide ways for them to *safely* communicate with you, provide complete visibility into where the office is headed, allow them more control and view into staffing and talk openly about stealth layoffs. It's shameful for BCG to say there are no layoffs and then do them right away behind everyone's back. I've lost a great deal of respect.

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!