Boston Market

www.bostonmarket.com

Boston Market Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Boston Market – US – “BM Ormond Beach”

Boston Market CEO George Michel

George Michel

Pros
  • Flexible hours if you are in school(in 6 reviews)

• I built a family there, flexible hours, good first job(prepares you), support on time off that is needed, and 50% off food(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The General Manager was a penny pinching cheap skate who would yell at us for over using a product and say it costs(in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is a pain in the butt and they roll out to many menu changes(in 6 reviews)

Great place to work if you are salaried.

ProsGreat pay and benefits for salaried management

ConsLong hours, not enough staff, and too much Drama!

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a 45 hour work week for Salaried management with the option to work up to 52. Some of us never see our families anymore, because it is a required 52 hour week. If value, and warm friendly people really is your core, then think of the Employees as well as the customers.

Too much work for the money

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Waterford, MI

ProsCreated a work ethic that can be better used in more rewarding work.

ConsLow pay and the constant danger of suffering burns.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay.

Skimpy Summer Job

Server (Former Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsGreat loaded mashed potatoes and cinnamon apples

ConsPoor hours, over worked underpaid. Managers have horrible team spirit. I was told by a manager who never worked an entire shift with me that I was a terrible person and given two weeks to get my attitude together or else I'd be fired. I'm a very pleasant person I was almost certain she had me confused with another employee. Used them as a reference not even 3 months later and they denied that I ever worked there!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat crew! Great product! Benefits for some.

ConsNot enough freedom, too many restrictions from corporate, no raises or incentives. Corporate needs to know what their restaurants sell, marketing has to exploit social networks!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive raises to people that stayed with you during your bankruptcy and who worked their butts off to get you out of it!!!!

Positive Energy

Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsLoved working for this company. I was a AGM for almost 2-years and transferred to Oregon. Once in Oregon the company (Franchise) went out of business. Very sad. The Crews I worked with were always positive and upbeat. Loved the food and customers.

ConsAs a Manager, I would have liked to see more incentives or some bonuses given to the employees for all the hard work they do. Without my Crew, I would not have been as successful as I was.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the time, Boston Market was in flux. Too many new items they were trying out. Makes for a difficult time for the Stores to keep up. Find a medium in expansion and grow at a slower pace. Make Boston Market great again.

Former Catering Driver's View

Catering Driver (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsBoston Market seems to be a pretty laid back company culture. No big push to make you be perfectly perky and positive every day. That being said things in the store can get hectic depending on your location - you'll run out of chicken or possibly other items and customers will get mad and leave you bad reviews when your store does its best. People are worried about doing all the work they need to keep up with and spills on the kitchen floor will get left there. I would try to clean it up and my manager told me not to bother on more than one occasion. Having enough food on hand is job one in a busy store and no one cares too much about anything else.

Working as a catering driver, one of two in our store, I'd work 2 hours a day and make 20 dollars each delivery, max 3 or 4 a day. Pretty good money for two hours a day. When I was leaving Congress was changing the rules for what doctors could charge as an expense, or what drug reps could buy them - not sure how that turned out, but it was going to kill our business as many of the orders were at doctors offices/hospitals.

To do the job of a catering driver, just look at what's on the catering order, get all that food from whomever is preparing it when its ready and put it in a big cardboard tray or hotbag to carry. Get all your drinks (can be very heavy), napkins, salt & pepper, tablecloth, etc, etc. It is your job not to forget anything on the list. Call the client and confirm. Leave plenty of time to get there. Carry or wheel (on a dolly) everything out to your car. When you get there carry or wheel everything up to whatever floor. Set up the tablecloth and food to specs. Ask for the card of other doctors/businesses in the same building for the manager to call, pass out catering menus as you do. Get back to the store, maybe clean up hotbags for 5 minutes, ask if you can leave. Maybe get some half price food on your way out. Pretty easy.

ConsBig orders can break your back. Seriously.

CANNOT screw up an order, people don't have time for you to drive all the way back to the store.

Overworked cooks can have short tempers. Understandable.

Not enough hours to pay a lot (can be good if you don't want that many.)

Sometimes cooks are slow to deliver your food (or are overwhelmed) and you have to make up the time on the road.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making a great product for a great price. Upgrade your logo in the near future and do an ad campaign - your image can't afford to go stale unless you're crushing the competition.

A job for kids.

Hourly Shift Manager (Current Employee) Novi, MI

ProsTouching people's hearts. Satisfaction of a job well done. You generally have plenty of opportunities for advancement. It's up to you to make of it what you can.

ConsThe pay is not really anything to stay for. They are always hiring but don't seem to appreciate their staff and give them incentives to stay. ONly ones that get incentives like bonuses are the GM's and assistant GM. Who never shares it with their staff who helped them to get it. No raises and because its non union opportunities to move up higher than an hourly shift manager are almost impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo corporate guys. You need more incentives to make employees stay. We've had the WORST year for loss of staff due to the treatment of them. Raises are necessary for the growth of a company though you see it as a loss. Let us as employees have more say in where we think the company should go. Also I HATE the idea that we can't have more flexibility in the menu due to cost cutting techniques. it's like a slap in the face to the guests that we serve when we take their favorite items off the menu.

Love the brand, dislike the corporate management

Hourly Shift Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-Sense of pride in the product, mostly healthy food, great presentation
    -High standards for quality, service and cleanliness
    -Easy job for most positions, even management
    -Most stores have down time
    -Employee discount 50% anything under $10, manager discount is $10 free food.
    -Easy hours to work, flexible hours, management willing to work with schedules
    -Easy to please upset customers, easy to confront lying customers (TLOG system ftw!)
    -Uniform isn't super tacky.
    -Menu is easy to learn
    -Crew functions are easy to accomplish

Cons-Improper training at every level
    -Constant sense of job insecurity due to high standards, some seemingly impossible
    -Management has to use a poor computer system called WebBost, it just is buggy, outdated, slow and the search function is terrible and disorganized and the maps are Bing, enough said.
    -The forecast system seems wonky so managers load too much or not enough proteins and then they are blamed for either not following the system to a "T" or not using their own good judgment (thereby not following the system to a "T")
    -Insufficient promotions. Not enough TV spots, radio ads, billboards, etc.
    -Management is blamed for low sales but has nothing to do with advertisement... we can keep our current customers, and VIPs rarely bring in new customers. Word of mouth is all we have to go on.
    -Strict budget causes some low staffing issues, causes us to run out of products in store, or even paper items like plates or drinks. Some stores in constant states of disrepair or lacking valuable assets like utility carts or extra chicken spits, etc.
    -Poor and incomplete training routines... they have a title called "Certified Trainer" and there is a Certified Training program... with dust all over it, because it's never utilized! It would cost too many hours to properly train a person, so basically everyone is taught on the go, by other poorly trained employees, not even the managers!
    -Low wages, employees are paid just above min. wage, and Hourly Managers are paid about 10/hr with no benefits except you can earn paid vacation time (up to 40hrs a year)
    -Area Managers and up seem very out of touch with the functions inside a restaurant.
    They are aware of policy and don't seem very competent at expressing how to achieve goals, only that you must do it or you are fired.
    -They lack planning abilities, training abilities, and proper acknowledgment of excellence.
    -They allow their stores to look run down to save maintenance money.
    -Some crews are so poorly trained, and lazy. Favoritism is apparent.
    -Poorly trained crews and lazy managers let the dining rooms get messy and bathrooms are rarely if ever checked.
    -Management allows the Food Safety Daily Checklist to be faked quite often.
    -No one gets raises.

Advice to Senior Management-Spend the time and hours actually training people properly. Make new people sit through videos, actually complete validations without cheating. Two shifts with supervision is not enough at all. One week minimum for all positions. No shortcuts should be allowed to be taught. 100% QSC standard training.

-Use write ups once in a while. Enforce standards every day, to every employee. Not just the ones you don't like.

-Stop keeping old employees who won't learn new standards. Keeping smartasses, people who don't show up for work, or people who fail at their jobs, continues a cycle of bad employees. Make the example that we fire bad workers, and you'll have better workers.

-If you want a task complete, you'd better know step by step how to complete the task yourself.
    You can't tell your managers to fix chicken variances if you have no clue what's causing it.
    You can't tell your managers to fix labor SG if you have no idea why it's so high.
    You can't blame managers for low sales if you have no idea how to increase sales.

You need to come up with detailed plans on how to attack problems and follow up constantly.

You need to pay your managers better.

Get rid of the current employee evaluation system. It's a scam.
    It ensures no one at all is rated high enough to get a raise. Destroy that system. Build a new one. Give people due raises. Give people due promotions.
    Stop promoting people who are already bad at their jobs.

Decent Company to work for.

ProsFree meals as a manager, people that I work with or who work for me are decent. Low turnover at our location. Business has picked up at my location over the last year, which is always good.

Cons-Short staffed sometimes. Even as a manager, during the day I'm literally doing 3 different jobs.
    - No garbage cans in dining room. While I don't mind cleaning the tables,sometimes you can't get to it right away because you have your hands time.

-Having to mention promotions to regular customers every single time they come in. Company policy pretty much and I wouldn't like it if I got told about something every time I walked in.

Advice to Senior Management-More consistent and smaller menu. I feel that we too often remove items that customers love.

-Corporate should be in better contact with stores on all measures. I have never met anyone above my area manager and I have been with the company for over 2 years.

- Less hassling of our customers. While I want our customers to try new things, they shouldn't feel like their dealing with a car salesman.

Surprisingly still relevant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Pros- Some of the groups are internally very loyal, even sometimes a bit cliquish.
    - Good discount for rotisserie chicken lovers
    - A mission that is easy to dedicate oneself to - ironic that the mission statement is vague and ridiculous.
    - Simple format increases ability for business to expand

Cons- The politics in middle management are brutal. Though typical for this industry, it isn't anything to be proud about.
    - Though necessary for this business, cost cutting keeps opportunity and growth in check
    The culture has changed in the last couple years and a great deal of the charm has been lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more than sit on your ass and expand into the premium markets that have been back burnered since forever.

Worked for Boston Market? Contribute to the Community!