Boston Market

Updated October 23, 2014
2.7

Boston Market CEO George Michel
George Michel

Pros
  • Easy hours to work, flexible hours, management willing to work with schedules (in 7 reviews)

• I built a family there, flexible hours, good first job(prepares you), support on time off that is needed, and 50% off food (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach General Manager it's hard to climb any further up the latter (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is a pain in the butt and they roll out to many menu changes (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Boston MKT

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Boston Market part-time (more than an year)

Pros

overall okay company not much room for growth

Cons

low pay, high employee turnover rate

n/a

they have a good career path for new managers.

I worked at Boston Market

Pros

surrounded by good colleagues and good training.

Cons

work life balance is not a focus. If you don't have good boundaries you can run yourself into the ground.

respect employee work life balance.

Not bad for a high school job

Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Boston Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good management, easy job tasks, easy corporate mobility (one of my managers was 21 years old, working while attending community college)

Cons

It can be boring, the pay was not much over minimum wage, and a lot of the guests were senior citizens and they were sometimes hard to deal with.

Hard work for low pay was here to work my way through college. Good for college and high school kids.

Current Employee - Cashier in Abington, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Abington, PA

I have been working at Boston Market part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customer service experience and discount was half off. Get to know you coworkers and make life long friends. Flexible hours as well.

Cons

Management can be unprofessional because they look at you as just a low paid worker not a person with goals

Good learning experience

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Boston Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hours are good, As long as you have a good team it is a fun place to work

Cons

corporate can be difficult to deal with--micromanaging

Crew Member

Former Employee - Crew Member in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Crew Member in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Boston Market part-time

Pros

Really easy job, gave free lunch during breaks. Flexible for the most part. Really nice customers.

Cons

Very minimal training, gave hardly any hours, shifts were too short, so much cleaning to the point of it being pretty much janitorial work. No tips, didn't allow us to even ACCEPT tips!

Just stopped getting hours after a manager had a loud, unprovoked outburst directed towards me. Unprofessional...

Former Employee - Cashier in Flemington, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Flemington, NJ

I worked at Boston Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is competitive, my store had room to move up, it was generally easy work-mainly dishing up food and cleaning up the dining room, coworkers were all friendly and hard working

Cons

Almost no training was given, management didn't know how to do paperwork so I never got direct deposit even after I explained how, and I got the vibe that if you weren't "one of the guys/girls" then you were definitely out.

Enjoyed my co-workers' company

Former Employee - Cashier in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Boston Market part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work is easy; management cares about you, and is flexible with your personal scheduling needs. Friendly conversations with regular customers, free drinks, and the delicious smells of fresh vegetable stuffing and sweet corn.

Cons

There is a LOT of cleaning that needs to be done. If you are on dish-washing shift, expect six to eight hours of filthy, chicken-covered, sauce-slathered dishes to clean in deep sinks in the back. Your fingers will be wrinkled and pruny for hours to come. Also, irate customers when the company takes an item off the menu.

Maybe really consider what the customers want on the menu, rather than what you think will sell.

Great place to work

Current Employee - General Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - General Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Boston Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic team members, hours of operation - NO Late nights.

Cons

Thanksgiving weeks were hard, had to work third shift to get everything ready.

The Most Stressful Job I've Ever Worked

I worked at Boston Market part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Once you get used to the menu (ingredients, prices, etc) and can impress the customers with your knowledge, it gives you a sense of accomplishment. I had a lot of regulars that were very kind and were nice to see a few times a week. When customers weren't around, I would get to "taste-test" to food, which as a poor college student, is a big plus.

Cons

You will ALWAYS be busy, and if you aren't, expect to be getting fired soon. As a cashier, I was expected to serve, clean, and prepare some of the food in the back all while still ringing up people's orders and dealing with cranky attitudes and people trying to use coupons that have clearly expired two years ago and will throw a fit if I say no. In general, the customer base of Boston Market is older people and those with big families, which makes for a very frustrating work environment. Basically you have to do everything perfectly otherwise they start asking for discounts and to see a manager.

People would blatantly ask if I was in college and ask detailed questions about my life to (I presume) find out if I had a life outside of food service. I had a few complete (creepy) strangers message me on Facebook just because they misinterpreted the company's standard level of friendly serving as me being interested in them.

Boston Market Photos