Boston Market

Updated September 25, 2014
2.7

Boston Market CEO George Michel
George Michel

Pros
  • Easy hours to work, flexible hours, management willing to work with schedules (in 6 reviews)

• I built a family there, flexible hours, good first job(prepares you), support on time off that is needed, and 50% off food (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach General Manager it's hard to climb any further up the latter (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is a pain in the butt and they roll out to many menu changes (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

High standards for employees

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Boston Market part-time

Pros

People who you work with are nice and helpful, can request days off when it is necessary.

Cons

They expect too much work for way they pay you. The standards are very high in cleaning and customer service, it is exhausting.

Cheap, Cheap, Cheap

Current Employee - Staff Member and Catering Driver
    Current Employee - Staff Member and Catering Driver

I have been working at Boston Market part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Like to help the customers. The older customers are fun. The food is great. My store manager is Great but there's only so much he can do regarding hours and pay.

Cons

Constantly burned by glass in serving tray. I have been there almost 5 yrs- No Raise.
    I do catering and store work and I was forced to take a pay cut to work in store which also affected my catering rate. With the cost of gas and wear and tear on my car I barely break even.

Respect your employees. Give Raises, offer a free or deeply discounted meal for those who go above and beyond.Maybe you wouldn't have such serious turn-over and happy employees equal happy customers.

Great for a one man band show

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Boston Market full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Awesome benefits. For the most part customers are very nice and fun. There are hidden gems in the upper management staff. Work hard and kiss up and you can easily make it to general manager. The company does a nice job recognizes performance in the moment. They recently start a health awareness program that consists of different challenges and you can win prizes and money by participating. Obviously the food is amazing!

Cons

Impossible standards. They use SMG to measure guest experience, you are supposed to run 70% or higher yet you are constantly being hammered to cut labor dollars. You are told to not get task oriented during a shift but don't give you the man power to allow this. You are held accountable to a staffing guidelines that is outdated and caters to low volume stores. There is ZERO work life balance. Holidays are a thankless time... you are expected to kill yourself and don't even pay time and a half. Pay is terrible for the standards they set both in terms of management and crew. And forget about a raise... if you get one it is so trivial its insulting. Corporate heads constantly talk about embracing the companies core values but routinely ignore them. Area manager is disrespectful and horribly trained doesn't know anything. God forbid you get a complaint... it will immediately be your fault no matter what happened and expect emails to fly in from every level of corporate (up to the CEO George Michel) telling you how terrible you are.

Re-evaluate your standards for SG and labor dollars. If you want the business to continually grow cater to the high volume stores not the low volume under performers. Use man-power to build lasting customer relations and speed of service. Allowing 6 extra hours per day for someone to be in DR during peak would go a long way! Give holiday pay... the amount of stress and sacrifice that is given at every level over the holidays is immeasurable. A thank you email from your VPO is not enough. Lastly, you get what you pay for.... and if you are under paying a high performer than its only a matter of time before they get burned out. Unless some of these things are addressed I don't believe the profits this company has been experiencing are going to stick.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ok

Current Employee - HSM  in  Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - HSM in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Boston Market full-time for more than a year

Pros

Job is fun to work in

Cons

To much work for what they pay you

Difficult

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Boston Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The customers are great and it's fun working as a team! The food is really good and the atmosphere is good.

Cons

The concept is almost impossible. I was a manager there and just couldn't take it anymore. Our management team was working outrageous hours and upper management couldn't care less. To always have every product available at all times of the day is a dream and that's the main way to retain customers. No wonder they closed so many stores.

Allow more labor hours and be more generous with food cost

Good people; fun job;

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Boston Market

Pros

The people who come in are usually older people and are very friendly. They like to talk and tell stories as you serve them so it gets interesting. And the people i work with for the most part are pretty cool.

Cons

There are days where there will be a big sale and they won't inform you until that day (sometimes you won't find out until customers tell you) do you'll be serving customers back to back. It'd be nice to know do you could prepare mentally.

Focus more on customer service and not the bottom line. I've never had one frustrated guest personally and they all leave very happy yet I'm constantly being told to change the way i deal with them since its not "the right way"

Needs improvement

I have been working at Boston Market full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really great food with great variety

Cons

They give nothing away, no lunch breaks, vacations, or raises.

Show your employees you care, hire good managers that love to serve, not only the guests, but also the employees, whom you couldn't run your business without

A place for everything good.

I worked at Boston Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product and environment to work.

Cons

Lot of time on your feet.

Limit how much you change management.

It was a great starting job.

Former Employee - Carver/Server/Cash/Prep/Utility/Back-up/Driver  in  Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Carver/Server/Cash/Prep/Utility/Back-up/Driver in Troy, MI

I worked at Boston Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is good for the work you do.

Cons

Being burnt by the ovens and display case.

Keep up the good work.

Bad pay

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Boston Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good if you have no experience. Most customer are very nice and at first it is a good place to work. The coworkers I work with make it fun and joyful.

Cons

The pay is horrible I have been working there for 2 years and dont even make $8. I work 12 hour shift a day. The managers dont even seem to care. They are so cheap that they wouldnt even fix the air conditioning and heater.

Boston Market Photos

BM Ormond Beach

+ Add Photo

Worked for Boston Market? Contribute to the Community!