Boston Market Reviews

1. Corporate Greed is rampant in this company

Current Employee - Shift Manager
    Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at Boston Market

Pros

Can be flexible with scheduling due to the nature of shift work. Other than that there are no pros other than its a job.

Cons

Everybody is underpaid. The job is very stressful and corporate is always looking to "save" money and never allows for the store to be staffed properly. The benefits suck and that's only if you can afford them because they're very expensive and only come in handy if your terminal.... otherwise the deductible is ridiculously high. They don't match any of you're contribution to your 401k and vacation time is a joke. Everybody is usually angry because they use this crappy system to "rate" customer service. The questions are bunk and usually it's only the horrid miserable people who are filling out the surveys anyway. You could do a million wonderful things in this company and never hear so much as a thank you but you'll hear about any mistake you've made within 5 seconds having made it. Salaries are pathetic so don't plan on thinking you can afford life by working here. But rest easy knowing your home-work life balance will suck and you won't have time to do frivolous things with your money. ... hell.... you won't have time to even go grocery shopping. This company has no back bone and never stands behind its employees. The customer is ALWAYS right. .. even if they cross lines, lie or steal. ...Boston Market will always side with them. All the equipment is always broken. The ovens in many stores are like 30 years old and need replacement but corporate will never have them replaced until something tragic happens. In the summer the air conditioner always breaks so employee are working in 110° weather but for some reason it takes months and months to get repairs done on the AC. Boston Market has standards higher than God himself. Even God allows for mistakes, but not Boston Market. I find that concept highly offensive.

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy and be happy with just being pain rich and not filthy rich. In doing so, you could allow for more SGs in the store, offer more competative salaries, and better benefit packages. In turn, your turn over rate would probably go down drastically. Remember happy chefs make for happy guests. Hot, underpaid and overworked people can only do so much. Cutting corners bites you in the but eventually so stop being cheap baststds that are completely out of touch with today's world. Go back to fresh food. ... and treating your employees right.

2. Fine for a job if you are in school

Former Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Boston Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were not many pros about working At Boston market however Easy trading schedules Customers were usually very friendly Job itself was easy

Cons

Revolving door of employees meant that I was consistently training, which would have been fine if we were not consistently short staffed. The Amount of drama was ridiculous The salary was pitiful, and raises were almost impossible to achieve. In store Management could not get along Servers and cashiers are punished for taking tips that were left for them If the general manager does not like you personally do not expect any upper mobility, and expect to be put on the worst jobs no matter how hard you work or how good you are at your job.

Advice to Management

Focus a little more on your employees and a little less on up selling your customers.

3. Area Manager

I worked at Boston Market full-time

Pros

Growing Company - coming off hard times and in position to make a move. Solid and loyal customer base

Cons

Salary offered and agreed to at time of hire not paid - instead used a "signing bonus" as alternative

Advice to Management

A lack of integrity will not build employee loyalty - be honest up front even if it means loosing talent at the on-boarding stage

Shift manager

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Boston Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have fun and love the food. Their quality of food is high. I also get a free meal every shift which is nice.

Cons

The company changes their mind of proceedures all too often. As far as regular employees pay is good. Management pay is so low and cheap. The company isn't focused on keeping up with technology or the new century so they short cut things.

6. Back up, HSM

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Boston Market (More than a year)

Pros

there are not really any pros for this job, well the store that I was at any way,

Cons

horribly organized management, poor pay, dead end job, management including Dm do not keep promises.

Advice to Management

find a job where you are happy because employees are suffering because you hate your job

7. Fun place to work

I have been working at Boston Market

Pros

Friendly environment Flexible schedule Good pay Nice managers

Cons

Busy during the lunch hours

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

8. I'd rather be jobless

Former Employee - Cashier in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Boston Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

50% off food under $10

Cons

Management, customers, and the experience itself is just so embarrassing that even saying this place's name makes me want to vomit

Advice to Management

Either tear this place down, or hire a better manager.

9. General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - General Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Boston Market full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, free meal during shift, and no late nights.

Cons

You will NEVER have a holiday off again. In 11 years I was able to have Thanksgiving with my family only twice. Once, only because it was at my house. As a general manager, you are on call 24/7. Someone calls off, you have to go in and help. Turnover is high. Rarely have a full staff. Raise? Better get all the money you can when hired. You'll never see a raise. Vacation time is nice, if they let you take them. If you don't, you loose them. Labor is measured by transactions. They call it "staffing guide." Every 5 transactions you get 1 hour of labor. THIS IS A FAMILY RESTAURANT!!! You frequently have large groups of guests that take up a lot of attention from the staff. Then you get only one transaction for 10 or more people. Very unrealistic on labor. Expect to run in positions, which they claim we are not supposed to do. Then expect a QSC auditor to visit at anytime. God help you if you don't get a 90%. The wrath of the company will come down on you!!! Two words......run now!!!

Advice to Management

Give operators what they need to do their job. Get rid of the staffing guide. Give time to train people properly. Not trial by fire. Pay a premium for holidays. While all the corporate big wigs are sitting on their butts, us dawg faces are slaving away filling their pockets!!! A thank you email with a smiley face emoji is not enough.

10. First job, no options..go for it

I worked at Boston Market

Pros

Its a job for the moment.. 50% employee discount up to $20

Cons

Hours can be crazy..there was a lot of favoritism so you have good and had weeks depending on how the boss is feeling You can't keep tips..I got tipped $50 and they made me put it in the drawer They promised opportunities for growth and pay raises but I got Nada They offer you pay based on how u were perceived during interview.. Cashiers where making anywhere from 7.25 minimum wage to 9.50

Advice to Management

Training for managers..don't ride just the grunts

11. Cashier

I have been working at Boston Market part-time

Pros

Simple and easy to learn job. Friendly customers most of the time.

Cons

Busy during lunch hours and rushes

RSS Feed </> Embed