Boston Market Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.7

Boston Market CEO George Michel
George Michel

Pros
  • Flexible hours if you are in school (in 6 reviews)

• I built a family there, flexible hours, good first job(prepares you), support on time off that is needed, and 50% off food (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach General Manager it's hard to climb any further up the latter (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is a pain in the butt and they roll out to many menu changes (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Server

I worked at Boston Market

Pros

Awesome part time job with great food breaks because of the food. The candy yams and potatoes were great sides and the rotisserie chicken superb

Cons

very underpaid for serving rude customers and no opportunities to advance depending where you are and who is managing. stressful on feet and legs to stand all day.

Ensuring the customers are happy and that they have a memorable experience.

Current Employee - Cashier/Server  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier/Server in Miami, FL

I have been working at Boston Market full-time for less than a year

Pros

being able to laugh with the customers.

Cons

No fixed contracted hours for employees

Isn't too bad of a place to work, there's worse and there's better.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Boston Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the people that have been there awhile love it and are close, but it's one or the other it seems. the "lifers" or the temps. Food is good too.

Cons

You still deal with young employees and people that don't care about how they effect other's lives by not showing up and doing their job.

Pay your people what they're worth. You expect a lot from these people especially around the holiday when they should be spending time with families. They end up working a lot of hours up to and including Thanksgiving.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too much work for the money

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Waterford, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Waterford, MI

I worked at Boston Market full-time for less than a year

Pros

Created a work ethic that can be better used in more rewarding work.

Cons

Low pay and the constant danger of suffering burns.

Increase pay.

Great place to work if you are salaried.

I have been working at Boston Market full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits for salaried management

Cons

Long hours, not enough staff, and too much Drama!

Consider a 45 hour work week for Salaried management with the option to work up to 52. Some of us never see our families anymore, because it is a required 52 hour week. If value, and warm friendly people really is your core, then think of the Employees as well as the customers.

Positive Energy

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager  in  Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Boston Market full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved working for this company. I was a AGM for almost 2-years and transferred to Oregon. Once in Oregon the company (Franchise) went out of business. Very sad. The Crews I worked with were always positive and upbeat. Loved the food and customers.

Cons

As a Manager, I would have liked to see more incentives or some bonuses given to the employees for all the hard work they do. Without my Crew, I would not have been as successful as I was.

At the time, Boston Market was in flux. Too many new items they were trying out. Makes for a difficult time for the Stores to keep up. Find a medium in expansion and grow at a slower pace. Make Boston Market great again.

Skimpy Summer Job

Former Employee - Server  in  Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Server in Southfield, MI

I worked at Boston Market part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great loaded mashed potatoes and cinnamon apples

Cons

Poor hours, over worked underpaid. Managers have horrible team spirit. I was told by a manager who never worked an entire shift with me that I was a terrible person and given two weeks to get my attitude together or else I'd be fired. I'm a very pleasant person I was almost certain she had me confused with another employee. Used them as a reference not even 3 months later and they denied that I ever worked there!

Former Catering Driver's View

Former Employee - Catering Driver  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Catering Driver in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Boston Market part-time for less than a year

Pros

Boston Market seems to be a pretty laid back company culture. No big push to make you be perfectly perky and positive every day. That being said things in the store can get hectic depending on your location - you'll run out of chicken or possibly other items and customers will get mad and leave you bad reviews when your store does its best. People are worried about doing all the work they need to keep up with and spills on the kitchen floor will get left there. I would try to clean it up and my manager told me not to bother on more than one occasion. Having enough food on hand is job one in a busy store and no one cares too much about anything else.

Working as a catering driver, one of two in our store, I'd work 2 hours a day and make 20 dollars each delivery, max 3 or 4 a day. Pretty good money for two hours a day. When I was leaving Congress was changing the rules for what doctors could charge as an expense, or what drug reps could buy them - not sure how that turned out, but it was going to kill our business as many of the orders were at doctors offices/hospitals.

To do the job of a catering driver, just look at what's on the catering order, get all that food from whomever is preparing it when its ready and put it in a big cardboard tray or hotbag to carry. Get all your drinks (can be very heavy), napkins, salt & pepper, tablecloth, etc, etc. It is your job not to forget anything on the list. Call the client and confirm. Leave plenty of time to get there. Carry or wheel (on a dolly) everything out to your car. When you get there carry or wheel everything up to whatever floor. Set up the tablecloth and food to specs. Ask for the card of other doctors/businesses in the same building for the manager to call, pass out catering menus as you do. Get back to the store, maybe clean up hotbags for 5 minutes, ask if you can leave. Maybe get some half price food on your way out. Pretty easy.

Cons

Big orders can break your back. Seriously.

CANNOT screw up an order, people don't have time for you to drive all the way back to the store.

Overworked cooks can have short tempers. Understandable.

Not enough hours to pay a lot (can be good if you don't want that many.)

Sometimes cooks are slow to deliver your food (or are overwhelmed) and you have to make up the time on the road.

Keep making a great product for a great price. Upgrade your logo in the near future and do an ad campaign - your image can't afford to go stale unless you're crushing the competition.

Flexible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Boston Market full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great crew! Great product! Benefits for some.

Cons

Not enough freedom, too many restrictions from corporate, no raises or incentives. Corporate needs to know what their restaurants sell, marketing has to exploit social networks!

Give raises to people that stayed with you during your bankruptcy and who worked their butts off to get you out of it!!!!

A job for kids.

Current Employee - Hourly Shift Manager  in  Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Hourly Shift Manager in Novi, MI

I have been working at Boston Market part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Touching people's hearts. Satisfaction of a job well done. You generally have plenty of opportunities for advancement. It's up to you to make of it what you can.

Cons

The pay is not really anything to stay for. They are always hiring but don't seem to appreciate their staff and give them incentives to stay. ONly ones that get incentives like bonuses are the GM's and assistant GM. Who never shares it with their staff who helped them to get it. No raises and because its non union opportunities to move up higher than an hourly shift manager are almost impossible.

To corporate guys. You need more incentives to make employees stay. We've had the WORST year for loss of staff due to the treatment of them. Raises are necessary for the growth of a company though you see it as a loss. Let us as employees have more say in where we think the company should go. Also I HATE the idea that we can't have more flexibility in the menu due to cost cutting techniques. it's like a slap in the face to the guests that we serve when we take their favorite items off the menu.

Worked for Boston Market? Contribute to the Community!