Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan

Be The First To
Add Photos

Scott O'Gorman

Love it!

I have been working at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan full-time for more than a year

ProsEveryone I work with is awesome. They're friendly, competent, and respectful of work/life boundaries. I've been given several opportunities to learn and grow, and have earned increasing levels of responsibility.

ConsCompensation is lower than in other MCO's.

great experience with great pepole

I have been working at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan

Prosloved the great management here

Consdidnt like not getting paid well

Great Stepping Stone

Customer Care Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan full-time for less than a year

ProsLaid back place to work. Once you do your time in customer care for about a year you can go anywhere in this company. Fellow coworkers are great. Great hours and very flexible. The benefits aren't bad either. They love to see promotion from within. Inviting and warm environment. Great training team - they really do a great job of delivering to you all the information you need.

ConsManagement has no idea what it is like to be on the phone handling customers. Takes quality and CPH very seriously after three months trial period. They are not afraid to give you the boot if you're a temp. You can stay a temp for years even if they are happy with you. Upper management is so out of sync with the smaller people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are people who should have been perm by now and many who should have moved up the latter. Take some time to realize the great work that is being done by the little people without them you wouldn't have this organization.

n/a

I have been working at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan

ProsA very stabilized professional atmosphere to grow. The supporting staff is well organized and disciplined, and everyone was treated equally in terms of being a respected professional of their designated positions. Also, a well respected institution that is well known throughout the city.

ConsI don't detect anything negative overall. I'm appreciative in having the opportunity to be employed from a respected medical institution such as Boston Medical Center HealthNet.

Great people, structure is lacking

Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company mission is noble - to provide the highest quality healthcare coverage to underserved populations - and you'll have a chance to help members who really need assistance with health care issues.
There are some really good people working here that can share their own experiences with you and teach you so much. You'll make friends here that you'll keep in touch with.
Work/life balance is decent.
Business casual dress is a nice perk and benefits are good.

ConsLeadership and direction are not always clear.
Burnout is inevitable when projects are repeatedly started, pushed hard and fast but then get cancelled suddenly. This can wear anyone down.
Technology/resources are seriously outdated and learning new technology is not encouraged.
The approval process is so slow that sometimes projects time out before a decision can be made on them.
Salary isn't comparable to what other MCOs are paying their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee morale is low and the work environment is very disheartening. A little "please," "thank you," and "good job team" can go a long way. Try using your established award program to spread some good cheer.
Update company technology.
Streamline the approvals process.
Offer better salaries.

The people in my department where wonderful to work with.

ProsClose to home
Great people on the local level

ConsGrew too fast became top heavy
Regional offices are not respected for their value to the organization.

It was an excellent place to work when Jean Haynes was the CEO.

I worked at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan

ProsIt is in a good industry, healthcare.
It is in a good location, Boston.

ConsIt has a very narrow business model, Medicaid, which generally does not have good profits.
It's purpose for being is to funnel profits to the Boston Medical Center.
Inexperienced management.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand the product offerings.

Could be better

I have been working at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan

ProsThe mission of the company is admirable, as well as some employee dedication. I'm giving it overall two stars for location and some nice people tha I worked with.

ConsHighly political and "corporate", very clicky, I left like I was back in high school! Management provides barely any support to the employees, there is no training or development (they talk the talk, but don't walk the walk). During my time there too many people got in trouble for doing things in a different way or saying something a key person didn't like. No teamwork. Terrible environment.

No chance for growth

I have been working at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan

ProsImportant mission, good people, good location;

ConsNo opportunities for growth and career development; zero recognition and incentives for people to go above and beyond their job

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job identifying your good performers and work to hold onto them; give people an incentive to work harder

Top heavy

I worked at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan

ProsIts a nice place to work and people are very nice. Great benefits - generous time off

ConsThe management is top heavy and is filled with people who got promoted with-in. Most of the with the company for 8-12 years. Most of the managers are not competent to be true managers. They all work for personal betterment and not for company's. Many Managers and Directors are hands-on and not willing to delegate work just to make sure their jobs are secure. They don't bother coaching their team or delegating.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate work - Let people do their jobs. If you want to be hands-on, then take the appropriate job. You shouldn't be in leadership if you can't lead!

Worked for Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan CEO Scott O'Gorman. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan employees.