Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014
3.2

Scott O'Gorman

Wonderful culture within Dept. Felt valued, engaged and appreciated.

I worked at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan as a contractor

Pros

The organization places emphasis on work/life balance. Excellent benefits including a fantastic tuition coverage for ANY subject covered within ANY dept of the organization. A position try out program. Unique culture. A lot of training and educative opportunities.

Cons

No over all cons to working at BMCHP. I was a contract employee and felt extremely valued by my team. I wish I could have become a permanent member.

Programmer Analyst

I worked at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good company to work with.

Cons

lack of training, and poor management.

Lots of good folks there, but lots of turnover at senior leadership. People are very committed to the mission.

I worked at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan (more than an year)

Pros

Great mission driven organization who truly cares about its members and their health.

Cons

Very challenging time for Medicaid plans from a financial perspective. Missed opportunity to increase collaboration with parent hospital.

Need to increase collaboration with parent hospital to realize synergies for hospital dealing with managed care. need to figure out where they want to be strategically and get alignment with parent hospital.

Typical Health Plan with Low Morale

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good pay rate compared to competitors and high level of transparency regarding pay grades across all levels of the organization, lots of vacation time, work required during business hours only

Cons

low morale, upper management is disconnected and lacks focus, poor performers are allowed to float along for years without being held accountable

Choose a strategy and stick to it. Get rid of poor performers, they bring others down.

BMC

Former Employee - Business Configuration Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Configuration Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Parking was cheap comparing to parking prices in Boston

Cons

management had not enough time for employees

Good company - nice people

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good growth opportunity if you are willing to work your tail off.
    Great benefits and great location

Cons

Usual office politics. There is a lot of work and they could spend some time and money in getting more organized.

Try to retain talented people. Please try to understand peoples needs from resource perspective.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

excellent growth opportunity due to the expansion of Health Insurance coverage. Excellent tuition assistance benefits, and fantastic HR Department Partners. Good Pay very competitive with industry peers.

Cons

Lots of meetings about everything. If you are a manager of staff you spend a fair amount of time in meetings instead of one on one feedback with your staff.

take the opportunity to seek out wider staff feedback on direction the organization should be headed in.

Great Stepping Stone

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Laid back place to work. Once you do your time in customer care for about a year you can go anywhere in this company. Fellow coworkers are great. Great hours and very flexible. The benefits aren't bad either. They love to see promotion from within. Inviting and warm environment. Great training team - they really do a great job of delivering to you all the information you need.

Cons

Management has no idea what it is like to be on the phone handling customers. Takes quality and CPH very seriously after three months trial period. They are not afraid to give you the boot if you're a temp. You can stay a temp for years even if they are happy with you. Upper management is so out of sync with the smaller people.

There are people who should have been perm by now and many who should have moved up the latter. Take some time to realize the great work that is being done by the little people without them you wouldn't have this organization.

n/a

I have been working at Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan

Pros

A very stabilized professional atmosphere to grow. The supporting staff is well organized and disciplined, and everyone was treated equally in terms of being a respected professional of their designated positions. Also, a well respected institution that is well known throughout the city.

Cons

I don't detect anything negative overall. I'm appreciative in having the opportunity to be employed from a respected medical institution such as Boston Medical Center HealthNet.

Love it!

Pros

Everyone I work with is awesome. They're friendly, competent, and respectful of work/life boundaries. I've been given several opportunities to learn and grow, and have earned increasing levels of responsibility.

Cons

Compensation is lower than in other MCO's.