Boston Medical Center

Updated September 16, 2014
3.6

Boston Medical Center President and CEO Kate Walsh
Kate Walsh

Pros
  • Great benefits, health insurance, friendly staff, good time off package (in 5 reviews)

• Free health insurance if you choose BMC Preferred Plan (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • internships aren't paid; doesn't seem to be a lot of opportunity for growth here (in 4 reviews)

• Public transportation can be confusing (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

It was great!

Former Employee - Data Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Medical Center as an intern

Pros

Very intelligent and committed staff. Good benefits

Cons

May not pay as much as other Boston hospitals

Give your employees more in incentives to keep them motivated

You wont regret it working there!

I have been working at Boston Medical Center

Pros

Excellent environment to work in

Cons

Surrounding area is not really safe

A Top Notch Professional Seeking a Full-time Position

I have been working at Boston Medical Center part-time for more than a year

Pros

My work at Boston Medical Center is both professionally challenging and personally rewarding while I am afforded great opportunity to use my full range of skills daily as I am connecting day after day to service residence of this great Commonwealth.

Cons

I am not avoided a full time position with benefits.

Employ Rochell Williams full time with an all inclusive benefits package.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great values, great workplace

I have been working at Boston Medical Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

salary, people, easy to learn about my workplace

Cons

stress, hours are unpredictable at best

none

IT employee

I have been working at Boston Medical Center

Pros

Good autonomy. Can really make a difference in employees and patient experience. Usually very satisfying work. Upgrading EHRs and non EHR software.

Cons

As is common elsewhere, asked to do a lot with little resources. Many put in long hours to get things done.

Work on providing tools that let employees work smarter and more efficiently.

Love being here

Current Employee - Physician  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Physician in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very friendly work environment. Great team effort.

Cons

I have not encountered any challenges since I have been here

None

Culture of unhappiness

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Its a diverse population with interesting medical cases.

Cons

Inadequate leadership in nursing. From the CEO, DON on down to even the staff on units. Mismanagement of time on staff RNs part and management in general. Each unit I floated to, the culture was complain first, overrate acuity. DOH, JCAHO guidelines aren't followed properly or staff has no/limited knowledge of them. As one reviewer said there is a unwillingness to change, however management needs to address staff more appropriately, as opposed to derogatory. Lack of respect all around. During my tenure multiple units have been closed or minimized but there is never a benefit to Nursing only to the management. Time off is seemingly difficult as a great majority of staff have been there for years. Layoffs, forced retirement began to a larger extent with the current CEO. Both campuses have unions that do not fight for staff when the need it. multiple co workers, RNs tried repeatedly to contact MNA, with limited avail, regardless their situations were not helped in anyway that would justify union dues. During my years there, there were multiple clashes with staff and patients. Whether it was a socio-economical disparity or racial disparity can be argued (with both being correct answers)

The constant turnover needs to be addressed. Staff should be able to have more input and management should not only listen but act. The level of respect and trust needs to be renewed among all disciplines. Management is held somewhat on a pedestal and unapproachable by staff. Sensitivity training for ALL staff including discrimination training need to be done on a regular basis.

Everything is not always as it seems.

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Medical Center full-time

Pros

You will make some great connections working in a very large hospital, Great lunch options, Cafe food is pretty good too. There are opportunities and initiatives that is open to all employees to get involved around the hospital. Benefits are great.
    When I first started the org was very mission driven

Cons

Parking is expensive, HR hiring process is extremely slow, outdated payroll system (paper time sheets, really in 2014?)
    Human Resources department is constantly changing, nothing they say is ever consistent departments within HR do not really work together.
     There is no room for professional growth, And also there isn't any professional development opportunities for training.
    Management fails to consider work life balance for their employees, they just expect their employees to come in early, stay late and work throughout their lunch.
    Worst of all HR is unreliable.

Don't just hire your friends. Instead how about hiring people that are qualified for the positions, people that know how to use basic MS Office systems, or other HR management systems for starters. Also, HR needs to realize that BMC is non-profit and it doesn't have money to waste.

Another thing is Management should open their eyes about all of the indians that they have because the way that they are managing now all of them will be gone before you know it. Management is so busy \ that they are failing to realize that these are the most hard workers, the problem solvers, the ones who ACTUALLY DO THE WORK, and not only pass a long the work to someone else.

BMC review

Former Employee - Stork Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Stork Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Medical Center as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Nurses and Physicians where very nice and prompt

Cons

Less nurses more patients in some departments

Senior Financial Analyst

I have been working at Boston Medical Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay, decent co-workers. It's a great location, so it's very accessible from anywhere in Boston. There are great benefits.

Cons

You'll lacks the tools to truly succeed, systems are out dated. There's a disconnect between the HR during the hiring process. High turnover within most departments.

Spend the money in IT infrastructure, listen to your employees they have great ideas.

Worked for Boston Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!