Boston Park Plaza Hotel Reviews

4.1
Boston Park Plaza Hotel Managing Director June McDougall
June McDougall

1. Featured Review

Boston Park Plaza is changing.

I have been working at Boston Park Plaza Hotel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This hotel is a great place to work for. Coming on board a while ago, before our new owners, I feel as though I had the "privilege" of seeing the hotel in rough shape. Once new management and almost an entirely new EC took over, I've personally seen nothing but positive changes including growth for me. Between being able to watch this hotel transform before my eyes and the promotions happening for truly deserving employees, I would recommend this hotel to every qualified person I know.

Cons

The construction, although incredibly exciting, has truly taken a toll on some of the staff as well as long time guests. I think I speak for the majority of current employees when I say we all are looking forward to the final product to hurry up and get here!

Advice to Management

My only advice to management would be to consider more cross training among non-union employees. A lot of staff/managers are all eager and ready to grow. Learning the ins and outs could greatly benefit not just the employee, but the hotel as well.

Feb 16, 2015 – Director, Learning & Engagement

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for sharing your thoughtful review of our organization. While we are all very excited for the finished product, construction, especially a project of this size and scope ... More

Positive changes and a lot of excellent training.

I have been working at Boston Park Plaza Hotel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a good team vibe within different departments. There is a genuine team spirit through out. Team members care for each other and help out. There is opportunity to move up within the company as a lot of in-house candidates have earn and gotten promotions.

Cons

Old product - which is being renovated at the moment. Complete renovation scheduled to be completed by 1st quarter 2016

Advice to Management

Executive committee members are all very approachable and transparent in their communication.

Feb 11, 2015 – Director, Learning & Engagement

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for taking the time to leave this great review! I am very glad you feel a "genuine Team spirit"- this culture, when paired with strong training initiatives, will be key as ... More

3. Staff

I worked at Boston Park Plaza Hotel full-time

Pros

Nice people to work with, beautiful hotel

Cons

Long working hour and low pay

Advice to Management

B

Jun 24, 2015 – Director, Learning & Engagement

Dear Reviewer, As a Boston Park Plaza Alumni, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. While long hours are par for course in the hospitality industry, we never want you to feel like it was a ... More

Exciting Place to Work!

I have been working at Boston Park Plaza Hotel

Pros

This is an iconic hotel that has a $96 million renovation underway. The lobby and meeting space are transforming in front of our eyes. The new front desk opens today and in March the meeting space, restaurant and bar will reopen. Guests are excited and so are we! There is a new energy in the hotel that you can feel.

Cons

There has been a lot of contractors working here for the last few months and it has been noisy. The guest rooms are also having new HVAC units put in, so it can be harder to find the right room for our guests.

Advice to Management

Post all open positions with Highgate so everyone understands that BPP is part of a large organization.

Feb 13, 2015 – Director, Learning & Engagement

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful review. You are right, with a limited room inventory it can be challenging to find that perfect room for each of our valued ... More

BPP in a process of Great transformation!! Who would not like to be part of the unveiling of this gem?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Park Plaza Hotel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ownership is investing a lot of money to make the Gem of Boston reclaim its shine, Inside and out. Also investing money in a lot of training with the staff. Management is very strong and well suited to manage the transformation process.

Cons

Renovations are messy but necessary. A lot of change in short amount of time but this ends being a positive after all.

Feb 10, 2015 – Director, Learning & Engagement

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for taking the time to write your review! Our commitment to investing in our property will continue, as will our commitment to investing in our fantastic Team Members ... More

7. Great place to be

I have been working at Boston Park Plaza Hotel full-time

Pros

If you like change, the BPP is for you. If you like being able to make decisions, strategically change the operation, this is the place for you. I can see why some individuals may not be comfortable with that type of environment, but the lack of large bureaucracy means you get to be creative and showcase your skills in a unique way. Great management team and seeing some really strong players come on board recently under a strong GM.

Cons

I can't think of any downside other than Highgate pieces.Their benefits could be better (maternity/paternity leave, vacation,) but the salaries are good and the working environment is unlike many other large hotels- even though the place is a large hotel.

Advice to Management

For Highgate- maybe look at increasing benefits for managers. For the building- keep doing what you're doing!

Feb 26, 2015 – Director, Learning & Engagement

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for this thoughtful review of our organization! This property sure is going through an exciting transformation and period of great change. I agree that the lack of "a ... More

8. Great people housed in a building with an amazing history!

I have been working at Boston Park Plaza Hotel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is wonderful in their own way. A great working environment with understanding directors and VP's. The company has been through a lot of change in the past couple years, but I have seen with my own eyes that it is change for the better!

Cons

The industry itself can be a little hectic, so there are a lot of key players that drop out unexpectedly. Everyone else has to pick up the slack until the perfect candidate is found. It can be tiresome, but management does appreciate a job well done and will recognize it in different way.

Advice to Management

Involve employees in their own raise negotiation. Keep them informed on the process and let them know why or how you came the specific decision.

Feb 26, 2015 – Director, Learning & Engagement

Dear Reviewer, It is WONDERFUL to read the title of your review; thank you for sharing your excitement and passion for our current Team and any potential future Team Members out there. It is ... More

Boston Park Plaza's incredible transformation of both physical and customer service improvements.

I have been working at Boston Park Plaza Hotel

Pros

In the 18 months of working at this beloved hotel that was built in 1927, I find nothing more professionally satisfying than being a team member all working for the same common goal.

Cons

The only cons of working here is I have to polish my shoes every day due to the much need renovation! Lol

Advice to Management

Continue to connect with all the team members clearly communicating the vision, and belong them all understand how important each and every one of them is in accomplishing and realizing the goals.

Feb 13, 2015 – Director, Learning & Engagement

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your positive review of our organization! I completely agree with you, there is definitely more frequent shoe-polishing during the construction, but it is all for ... More

10. A great place to work!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Boston Park Plaza Hotel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hotel is moving through a very interesting time. It has been exciting to see some of the new talent being brought in as we grow and remodel. Wonderful to be a part of a reopening team.

Cons

Lots of construction, but for the best in the long run. It does make it difficult at times when you wait for the elevator, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep going in this direction

Feb 10, 2015 – Director, Learning & Engagement

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for the glowing review! I am very glad to hear you have enjoyed working here and that you can feel the excitement in the air. Please know that your comments regarding the ... More

The charm and dedicated service in coming back to the Boston Park Plaza

I have been working at Boston Park Plaza Hotel

Pros

This is a beautiful historic hotel on the rebound! The salary and wages are in line with the current competitive set and offer great health bennifits.

Cons

Working in a union environment can be a little lopsided based on seinority

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive movement you are on the right path!

Feb 26, 2015 – Director, Learning & Engagement

Dear Reviewer, As you indicated you are a current employee, let me first thank you for all you are doing to help move us in the right direction! It couldn't be done without everyone's effort ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed