Boston-Power Reviews

Keith Schmid

1. Engineering Intern

Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Westborough, MA
    Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Boston-Power as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment. EV industry in China so employee can get many opportunities to travel to China

Cons

Making progress a little bit slow due to its research and lab workloads. Not a very mature company

2. Poor management

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Boston-Power as an intern

Pros

Could be a good company

Cons

No company values, no direction

Advice to Management

Create new products and not a me to product

3. Beware of company claims

I have been working at Boston-Power full-time

Pros

Non other than a pay check

Cons

Total lack of leadership, buyer beware

Advice to Management

Have employees rate their supervisors

5. Great people and culture with major changes since original founding team left

Former Contractor - Contract Employee in Westborough, MA
    Former Contractor - Contract Employee in Westborough, MA

I worked at Boston-Power as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, interesting technology, fun place to work, great company culture thanks to original founding team. However things took a 180 degree turn when Chinese private equity bought out the company and rolled the founding team. The battery business is tough and gestation time for a new venture is long.

Cons

Lack in strategic direction and primary market: notebook power to mobile/automotive power to stationary power? Manufacturing and marketing now targeting China exclusively.

Advice to Management

Bring the business back to benefit the US market and labor force Seek support from US Government

6. If you like change, work here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA

I worked at Boston-Power

Pros

Great people, smart, supportive, care about each other Products have great promise, competitive market, but they still have some unique appeal Can make a difference here

Cons

Change is rapid, not for the faint of heart Many shifts in strategy Needs a lot of time and money to succeed

Advice to Management

Stay honest and keep people in the loop Great people will stay if they have a voice in the company Stick with one product strategy

Disconnected Senior Management ruined the company

Current Employee - Survivor in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Survivor in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Boston-Power

Pros

Some very nice, caring people. Besides this, there is no good reason to be here knowing that we are all losing our jobs.

Cons

Endless meetings and no time to actually do work. With no customers, lots of emphasis on making even the most mundane issue a huge deal that EVERYONE needs to get involved and chime in on which only hinders progress more. Perception that there are customers that want our product...we have an enormous stockpile of cells that NOBODY WANTS.

Advice to Management

Look back and now know how NOT to run things. Utterly disengaged from Day to Day dealings in the company. You need to be honest and direct with the employees about what is going on and the strategy...getting your face in the paper or talking at conferences may stroke your ego but it doesnt help the company.

Feels like a sinking ship

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Westborough, MA

I worked at Boston-Power

Pros

My boss was incredibly nice and understanding, and did a good job of shielding his employees from meetings. Without him I would have left way before I did. I was paid very well I was treated very well Some people were very knowledgeable

Cons

Constant meetings. The longer you are employed there - the more meetings you are forced to go to. I've never seen it this bad. I think my boss had about 30 seconds/day of non-meeting time Many employees haven't gotten raises in years Lots of red tape and levels of management to battle your way through if you want a change to be made Purchasing system is really slow and silly (expect orders to take multiple days to get placed) Lots of people there are just barely good enough at their jobs to not get fired - lots of incompetence Some employees are abused to meet project goals, and then are not rewarded for it (I wasn't among those, but certainly witnessed it from afar) Lots of unhappy employees - and I think management is pretty much unaware of this fact

Advice to Management

Too many managers, not enough engineers. Fix that. Give raises. Praising somebody in a meeting is *not* enough reward for somebody giving up lots of personal time for projects - try money/vacation time/promotion/etc if you want happy employees. Get rid of inefficiencies - ie reduce meetings, speed up purchasing process, etc

9. Most fun and rewarding

I have been working at Boston-Power

Pros

I have deep respect for what this team has done and is doing.While I have probably never worked harder in my life, I can also say I have never learned as much in one company. The growth of the company allowed me to grow with it. This is a start-up which is making a difference globally.... and this makes me proud every day!

Cons

A true start-up; not enough resources, process or time to achieve success, which must come through the team instead.

Advice to Management

Keep up the work - and keep us in the loop... we are growing a global company.

Not what it seems from the outside

I have been working at Boston-Power

Pros

High growth industry; lots of VC funding. Incredibly talented team.

Cons

Little to no delegation; most employees are under-utilized and could be doing so much more.

Advice to Management

Develop a strategy and stick to it.

This place is going down in a hurry !!!

Current Employee - IT Doesn't Matter
    Current Employee - IT Doesn't Matter

I have been working at Boston-Power

Pros

Good benefits Decent pay Challenging work 3 weeks vacation for new employees Friendly coworkers to a certain extent Friendly management staff

Cons

Obsolete product technology. Competition is way ahead but everyone seems to be sleeping. Incompetent management Too many chiefs and not many indians Management has crazy expectations about getting things done. Most of the management staff has no "real world" experience.

Advice to Management

Well the senior management staff needs to be changed. Its been 6 years since the company founding and it has not gone anywhere. We need new and competent management at the C and VP level.

RSS Feed </> Embed