Boston Private Bank & Trust Company

Updated Feb 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark D. Thompson

Absolutely loved my time at BPB, for the most part

Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Private Bank & Trust Company full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany seems very interested in retaining and growing employees, lots of employee functions and get-togethers, very easy to get to know co-workers and ask for help across departments, hours were great

ConsDay-to-day operations were boring, unexciting work, catering to high net-worth individuals was sometimes a pain especially clients that were in a rush (but these experiences were few)

Advice to Senior ManagementEmphasize more client functions.

Deposit Operation Specialist

deposit operations specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Boston Private Bank & Trust Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsManager didn't speak much English so you could say whatever you wanted and she had no idea.
There really wasn't anything good.

ConsManager didn't speak much English.
Manager didn't manage her area.
Work load completely unequal among employees.
Human resources sides with management no matter what.
Training was horrendous. We had to train ourselves.
Cheap, cheap, cheap!

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and see what really goes on at your company.

Solid firm with a good reputation among clients, but not very innovative and stuck in the late 80s-90s type thinking.

Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Private Bank & Trust Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmaller organization that gives you the opportunity to more easily experience different types of private banking products/services

ConsDoes not compensate most of its non-sales and non-executive employees well. This is resulting in a brain drain and difficulty with attracting the cream of the crop in the marketplace

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just benchmark against the premier financial institutions/banks when it comes to client satisfaction...use the same competitors when constructing compensation packages for employees so that talent can be retained and developed at the firm

Intern in IM&T

I have been working at Boston Private Bank & Trust Company as an intern

ProsInteresting work with interesting and intelligent people. Comfortable work environment in the sense that it was easy to communicate with both peers and supervisors.

ConsLimited interaction with other interns, and the intern project was not heavy on analysis. More to do with improving internal lines communication, which is also quite important.

Great Company, Small Salary, Lots of downtime

I have been working at Boston Private Bank & Trust Company full-time

ProsGood benefits and corporate culture

ConsVery little room for advancement

Great people, but long working hours.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Boston Private Bank & Trust Company full-time

Pros- People are great and easy to work with.

Cons- Long working hours.
- Low salary to start and difficult to get a raise.

Liking the small bank business culture

Client Service Representative (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at Boston Private Bank & Trust Company full-time for less than a year

Prosadequate compensation, passionate and sophisticated associates, great mentorship

Consnot a lot of swift upward mobility, software infrastructure is a work in progress

No incentive to stay

Vice President (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

ProsThe people who you directly work with are pretty nice.

ConsLimited mobility, low salaries and low/no bonuses, no career growth. Constant reorg/restructuring over last two years. The integration of multiple bank cultures also has not worked so well with the merging of several banks; it has created an us vs. them mentality among a lot of the departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't expect to keep cutting people, leave the same amount of work to fewer people and with no increase in salaries and no bonuses. People have no incentive to do anything beyond the bare minimum nor have any reason to stay.

Great people, great bank!

Deposit Operations Specialist (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

ProsFriendly bank with big asset growth and career development potential.

ConsTakes a while to get to meet people and make friends.

Good culture and client oriented

Boston, MA

ProsThe company has great management, friendly co workers, and great clients. The employees hired have great work ethics and are treated very well in comparison to other banks. There is a great balance for work and life and since the company stresses client focus/customer service, the interaction between departments and clients are professional and courteous.

ConsThe company still needs better training programs but they hire well tranined staff members to work around that kink. They still lack the internal growth factor as many companies stress but access to knowledge, resoucres, and networking are at employees' fingertips.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not grow too quickly in size and do not have employee/HR benefits be a negotiation

Worked for Boston Private Bank & Trust Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Private Bank & Trust Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boston Private Bank & Trust Company CEO Mark D. Thompson . All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Boston Private Bank & Trust Company employees.