Boston Proper

Sheryl Clark

Very happy so far!

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at Boston Proper part-time for less than a year

Pros

You are able to learn as the company is growing.

Cons

Training is happening on the job.

Overall decent experience, district manager is kind of moody. Positive place to work, low store traffic.

I worked at Boston Proper part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice, fun working environment, mostly due to coworkers. Fast growing company. Forty percent discount. Understanding managers.

Cons

Available hours to work. I only had 8-10 hrs per week

Make sure that decent hours are available of r everyone to work

Interesting to say the least.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Boston Proper

Pros

My team was beyond amazing in every possible sense. From the boss, assistant managers & sales we all worked together to create a great and welcoming environment.

Cons

Expected to go above and beyond without the resources when it comes to floorsets. Packages come last minute which is not so great when everything has to be steamed. Was given the last floor set an hour before store closing the night before it was supposed to be put out. District manager seems intimidated by employees that are exceeding expectations. Shows no appreciation whatsoever & is extremely rude. Showed no interest until found out I was leaving knowing I was one of the best sellers in my store. Commissions come way too late & bonuses are inconsistent giving very little incentive to sell. I'm leaving my current store, moving to an area where a store will be opening soon but at this point there is nothing that makes me want to continue with this company.

Upper management needs to humble themselves. Also hiring young 20 year olds to be new store managers is clearly not working for this company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

hostile work environment, poor senior management, overall unprofessional

I worked at Boston Proper full-time for more than a year

Pros

$2 sample sales, great benefits package, handful of genuinely great coworkers

Cons

Overall the environment is petty & desperate, the quality of the product & efficient procedures are NOT the top priorities. Boston Proper is all about outer appearances and is empty everywhere else. Constant churn due to big egos and attitudes. There are no effective procedures to improve cross-functional communication, time wasted either due to lack of direction and/or sabotage from coworkers. Same problems arise each week, solutions are short-term fixes, there is never any long-term outlook or problem solving. Senior management & promotions are based on who's friends with who- hard work (or any work) is not recognized. Constant gossip and bullying from all levels & all departments. Frivolous spending on luxurious "business trips" and "inspiration samples"- departments blow any budget given. I absolutely do not recommend working here.

If Chico's is smart they will continue to add more of their people and have Boston Proper strictly follow their protocol and procedures. Change the slogan to "wear it like everyone else" because all products are direct copies of designer garments.

Political, disrespectful, "plastic", unhealthy environment. Everyone is miserable.

I have been working at Boston Proper

Pros

East Boca is an amazing place place to work. Close to 95, shopping and restaurants
    40% discount
    Good Christmas parties (if plan is made)
    Proper Affair is a fabulous charity event

Cons

People stay due to so few apparel options in South Florida.
    High school drama at all levels. Upper management openly talks bad about each other.
    Unorganized, incompetent management. A lot of daily “spinning” due to lack of valuable experience in management. Promotions based on who’s friends with who.
    Upper management has no repercussions of actions if they are "in" with the President.
    Passing the blame is the name of the game. This dept. against that dept.
    If you have to take a job here, I'd suggest watching your back and be prepared to only get promoted unless someone quits. Get your experience and get out. If you are looking in the Boca area, Venus pays more, they leave on time and are happy!

How can you improve upper management when the political environment is being breeded by the President?

Disrespectful peers and incompetent management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Boston Proper

Pros

Average merchandise discount and benefits.
    Pay is decent.
    Good working environment (if you like Boca) and facilities.

Cons

Staff is all smiles and appear polite but in reality are very gossipy, catty, insecure and ultimately unprofessional and disrespectful. The overall vibe I got was unpleasant.

Management is incompetent and not very knowledgeable. In addition, very gossipy (that's where it starts and trickles down.)

The quality of your work is less important than how you fit into their (think inside-the-box) corporate mindset.

Overall, if you are a competent, knowledgeable professional in your field, do not work here. You will not be appreciated unless you come from Victoria's Secret whom they are competing with (they will use you to obtain vendor contacts.)

Unfortunately management is the problem (including some catty staff members). I would advise the CEO to clean house and bring in qualified "mature" professionals to which will ultimately attract better people in the long term.

Incompetent, vulgar management . Quality is not the priority.

Current Employee - Buyer  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Buyer in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Boston Proper

Pros

Extremely limited job market in SE Florida

Cons

Not a place to be if the quality of your work or positive work environment are important to you. Negative gossipy clicky culture mainly concerned with self validation at all cost. Incompetent and inefficient management , promoting unprofessional environment. As a resoult the quality of the product is going down fast.

The CEO (and upper management) creates the culture and the company -selfserving, incompetent , unprofessional . Continues to adversely affect the quality of our product.

Became a job not a career

I have been working at Boston Proper

Pros

Merchandise discounts, pleasant local area.

Cons

Highly political culture with incompetent management.

Worked for Boston Proper? Contribute to the Community!