Boston Properties

Be The First To
Add Photos

Owen D. Thomas

Formerly a great company

ProsBenefits are very good and there are a lot of wonderful people

ConsHiring process is so slow that good candidates are lost to other offers. Pay is low with minimal 1.5-2% annual raises. Work load varies by department as do benefits like summer Fridays which are not available to all. Company prefers to move employees to new positions internally rather than hire from outside to avoid having to pay higher (market) salaries

Advice to Senior ManagementThe old moto of "our employees make us the success we are" has been completely forgotten. Stop treating employees like they are replaceable, work ethic is suffering. Find a way to vet new hires quicker so BP has at least a chance at filling some of the open positions. It is sad to see so many good people leaving but management has left employees with little choice to pursue advancement or salary increases

Good company, a bit stodgy

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood benefits, great co-workers and fun people.

ConsPretty stodgy culture. Very old-school way of thinking.

Can't please everyone

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBenefits, 401k, vacation time, 3pm early release every Friday in summer

Conssome folks like to micro manage, Upper Mgmt will treat you as if your invisible.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

People have nothing better to do than to complain

Pros401K match, Getting out at 3Pm on Fridays, 4 weeks vacation

ConsWorkloads are unmanageable and managers know it and do not care. Old and stuffy atmosphere. Other departments have nothing better to do than to complain about others work/conduct.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on pleasing employees instead of aggravating them so much they want to leave to escape stuffy boys club mentality.

Fantastic company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLoyalty to employees, great work atmosphere. Buildings are the best in class and the company is fair and honest in all it's dealings. Every co-worker I come in contact with is very proud of what we do, how we do it and the results we get.

ConsDress code; ties and jackets required except in the summer. Most of our clients waer "business casual" and sometimes we are "out of place" in our suits.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Ok, but could be better

ProsGreat 401K, holidays, time off. Health insurance used to be better but that is pretty much everywhere now.
    Employee perks are great. Some of the managers are really great to work with.
    It is a great company, but some things need to change.

Cons- People that do great are rarely recognized, the recognition always goes to the manager that didn't do anything.
    - Won't promote from within to people that deserve it, think that you are nothing without a bachelors degree even though you have more on the job experience than someone who has a bachelors off the street.
    - Pile a lot of extra work on without getting paid for what you truly do.
    - Pay isn't all that great.
    - Micromanagement, higher management treat lower level employees like they don't know what they are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the lower level people that help your properties run and create a good name for your company. Promote people that truly deserve it, don't hold them back just because of education, on the job experience goes a long way and is valuable as well.

Overall experience was OK. Hard to move up quickly.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsClass A downtown property exposure

Conshard to move up because serious management not focused on capabilities of admins

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on your employee improvement

Poor management

Property Management (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOverall friendly staff. Most managers competent,

ConsVery conservative, some middle management poor

Advice to Senior Managementlighten up

I enjoyed it very much.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- Very pleasant office to work in
    - Great guidence from upper management
    - Great 401k program
    - Salary is great

Cons- I didn't ike how serious it could be at times
    - There were really no outlets for creativety
    - Some of my co-workers were very unpleasent

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest providing Salarys to all that work at Boston Properties instead of keeping them as hourly employees. They also could take the advice of lower managemnt.

Terrible managers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- nice office space
    - successful company who prides themselves at being the best at what they do
    - supportive of development and promote within

Consmicromanagers running certain departments. looking at what time you get to your desk, what time you leave for lunch, when you leave for the day, etc. not a laid back envirnoment at all. very stuffy mens club.

Advice to Senior Managementget some good managers in there and make sure people are excited about coming in to work everyday. it would help with the turnover.

Worked for Boston Properties? Contribute to the Community!