Boston Public Health Commission

Not yet rated.

John P. Cradock

Good Working Experience

Outreach Network Coordinator (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat company to work for. Good pay and benefits.

ConsDepartment I was in did not have room to grow.

it's fine

Prosthe people who work there are nice

Consnot much respect between ranks

Bureaucracy gets in the way of a great mission

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEthos that comes with the name of organization, if you are focused on health, especially the socioeconmic-side you will be working with like-minded individuals

ConsFew incentives, poor comraderie, heavy focus on ideals, but not implementation, a lot of bureaucracy, buildings and locations are unsatisfactory, not a lot of opportunity to move up

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, great learning experience

Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAs an intern, my supervisors were always willing to help me fully understand the scope of the project and were actively involved in my learning experience. They made sure that the assignments I had were on par with my expectations and the expectations that my degree program had. All in all, I learned so much from this experience and I'm confident that the skills I learned here will help me go far in the field!

ConsSome downsides include the actual location of the building-- the fringe Dorchester area is a little scary to be in sometimes. During my time at BPHC, there were several robberies of people walking in and out of the building as well as car break-ins. Kind of scary, but nothing that building security wasn't actively trying to reduce.

Good experience, but not for long

Research Associate I (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsMostly great people, compromised with work.

ConsToo many people too comfortable with their jobs, leading to mediocre performances.
    Too many directors = too much egos.
    Location

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, get some training on how to manage employees.

Good people, great mission, bad area

Development Coordinator (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsDedicated, professional work staff with their eyes on the goal. Great benefits, ample opportunity to learn new skills and languages, friendly environment.

ConsLocated in a not so great neighborhood with few restaurants and hard to get to by metro (though there are buses that stop right in front). Constituent services can always be rough.

Great Student Internship

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFlexible hours, light workload, high compensation

ConsSlow paced (which allows for great work-life balance)

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more training opportunities for interns to grow

Challenging population to work with with little support from supervisors

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe population was challenging and forced me to think outside the box in my service approach. In leaving BPHC I was sad to say goodbye to my clients as the experience in working with them gave me a deeper understanding of their needs and challenged me to research ways to address those needs by finding evidence based practices to offer quality service.

ConsThere is a lack of professional boundaries held by much of the staff from the administrative level to the entry level. The organizational structure is one which promotes from within through a mixture of seniority and popularity.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire professional development workshops specific to the service population to all staff. These workshops should be mandatory and respectfully attended/participated. Staff who are grossly negligent, prejudice, disrespectful, abusive to clients should be terminated on the spot with no movement to a different program.

A great summer

Communications Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe management is great. Everyone who works there has a solid sense of purpose - they are making Boston a better place to live. There are truly some talented people there.

ConsFrom department to department, communications can be lax. It is a bureaucracy so it suffers from the things that bureaucracy tend to suffer from.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore open communications amongst management

Worked for Boston Public Health Commission? Contribute to the Community!