Boston Public Schools

Updated January 4, 2015
3.4

Boston Public Schools Superintendent Carol R Johnson
Carol R Johnson

Wonderful experience, challenging and dynamic

Current Employee - Teacher in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with amazing youth in need of excellent support. I also loved collaborating with families and the many 3rd part organizations that work with BPS.

Cons

There is a lot of red tape in BPS especially when it comes to trying to launch new initiatives. This was the most difficult aspect of teaching in BPS for me.

Wonderful place to work.

Current Employee - Educator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Educator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Public Schools

Pros

Great colleagues who are up to date with the most current teaching methods.
    Effective lines of communication and sharing of experience.

Cons

large system sometimes becomes cumbersome

Keep up the good work.

Guided journey on the road to enrich the lives of young folks turned into transforming a community in the process.

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The young folks on the job are full of energy, some come from great homes and neighborhoods, others work daily to improve their homes and neighborhoods.

Cons

Environment is always changing. There are a ton of resources and people sitting at headquarters, but the real fight is is giving students skills and connections in the private sector to execute those skills.

Spend more time in the schools, with the young folks, you will want to get from behind the desk and work with staff and school administrators to change the course our schools have been on.

Teacher

I have been working at Boston Public Schools

Pros

Salary, benefits, vacations, opportunity to grow with workshops and course offerings

Cons

Difficult populations, constant changes in curriculum etc

It is a great learning experience!

Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Public Schools

Pros

I love working here because I get valuable teaching experience while continuing to learn more about effective practices and interventions for struggling students.

Cons

Sometimes I am asked to complete the "unwanted" tasks of the teachers such as making copies and completing bulletin boards. Although a huge part of teaching, I would prefer to do this before or after the school day, and not during.

I love how we are supported by the special ed. coordinator.

Boston is a good district to work in.

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Public Schools

Pros

The district is small enough that there is room to experiment with new educational theories. It depends lot on the school but in my case the administration was very supportive of the teachers.

Cons

The current superintendent is not working well with unions and teachers and we are seeing the same tone is elsewhere blaming teachers for all problems and painting teachers as lazy and ineffective.

Please try to include teachers in the important decisions. We are sick of learning of your decisions by reading the Boston Globe.

A great place to work where you can make impactful changes that benefit the lives of many students.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Public Schools

Pros

Opportunity to improve and make impactful changes to the system.

Cons

Highly bureaucratic, takes time to change.

Keep on moving.

Great place for an old bureacracy

Current Employee - Administration/Management in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administration/Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Public Schools

Pros

The Boston Public Schools (BPS) has its mission of providing for the children of Boston at its core. The values that people have that support this mission seem to correlate directly to it, making for a great place to make decisions. Every decision is met with "will this help kids?" The last 10 years has seen dramatic changes in the way BPS does business, which is evidenced in every school--the schools and student achievement have improved greatly. Working with good school leaders, and great administrators make this an exciting and challenging career.

Cons

It's one of the oldest bureaucracies in the United States, and therefore has many antiquated systems in place. The multiple unions vie for more power and money, and seem to be headed by those who may hold grudges against management. Performance reviews and the ability to eliminate poor co-workers seems non-existent.

Look closely at the performance review process and begin to eliminate those who do not embrace challenge and/or change.

Diverse district with Growth Opportunities

I have been working at Boston Public Schools

Pros

The diversity of staff and students is very appealing. Teachers are given professional development, not only to maintain licensure, but to keep abreast of teaching trends and their impact at the classroom level. Boston also has a number of programs with local colleges and universities for advanced degrees at substantially reduced cost.

Cons

Large central adminstration can hinder effective communication to employees. The school department is under new leadership. It is difficult to determine how the new management structue will steamline management and insure that the majority of resources are delivered to our students.

Make sure new structure is understood by all employees.

Giving Back and Getting Slammed

Former Employee - Teacher in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are very good, as was the salary structure when I was hired. Boston is a great place to be involved directly in the issues of inner city teaching. Colleagues are usually supportive.

Cons

Management can be capricious, and the politics and bureaucracy are simply brutal. Students in general have been poorly taught for so long that it's nearly impossible to impart passion to them. The hours are miserable - out-of-class workload is devastating.

Opportunities to attend conferences in my content area would have been greatly appreciated.