Boston Scientific
www.bostonscientific.com Natick, MA 5000+ Employees

Boston Scientific Reviews in Marlborough, MA

Updated Jun 17, 2014
Boston Scientific – Marlborough – “BSC”

Boston Scientific President and CEO Michael F. Mahoney

Michael F. Mahoney

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great energy, investments, and people.

Marlborough, MA

ProsPeople are awesome to work with and for. Med device is a very rewarding industry to work in because you're having a positive impact on people's lives. Company culture is evolving to give greater emphasis towards work-life balance and employee needs. Company also invests a lot in great training opportunities.

ConsSometimes there are redundancies that create more work than needed.

Do not appreciate their employees - inner circle gets promoted.

Marlborough, MA

ProsGood work life balance. But it's the only pro. I do like my team, but they are leaving one by one.

ConsOnly promote those in the 'inner circle'. A person's experience or expertise has no bearing. In many cases, upper management 'leadership' has no expertise and no experience in the job. Intimidation from other groups who don't want to follow regs. No support from upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must support your people! Hold people accountable.

I was a mechanical design intern here for 8 months.

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee)

Pros1. Was able to gain a large amount of experience
    2. Lots of prototype & design work was offered
    3. One of the best reputations in the biomedical field

Cons1. What you'll be able to accomplish is hit or miss depending on project timing and the projects management
    2. Seemed to be a rift between programs and upper management
    3. Seemed the only way to get promoted was to leave the company and return 1-2 years later

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to the talent that you already have before looking outside.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boston Scientific is a rollercoaster ride.

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Marlborough, MA

ProsMost of the people here are good people looking to do good things. Overall it's a respectful environment. Also, the company offers some good benefits such as a matching 401K, life insurance, onsite gym and cafeteria.

ConsLife at BSC is very hierarchical and revolves around pay grade, job title, and do you get an office or a cube; this goes on to dictate what duties you can perform and not perform and what meetings you can attend and not attend. This would be frustrating in its own right but to add to the frustration hierarchical rules (written and unwritten) are not enforced with any uniformity.

Additionally, very little opportunity for career advancement and management often attempts to pacify employees with lateral moves with the justification it is broadening your skillset.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate transparent career tracks; reduce hierarchical red tape.

Constant restructuring

Quality Specialist (Current Employee)
    Marlborough, MA

ProsFlexibility to work from home, kind managers

ConsConstant restructuring and layoffs, bucket of crabs mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more than lip service to valued employees

The last 20 years have been amazing. I have learned so much in my career and am appreciative.

Director, Global Brand and Marketing Communications (Current Employee)
    Marlborough, MA

ProsMedical device company that improve patient lives. New EC have company on trajectory to grow.

ConsIt is challenging to manage work life balance.

Not a work life balance company to work for. If you have family wouldn't recommend this place.

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Marlborough, MA

ProsYes to be a better place to work 10 years ago and people used to be more friendly.

ConsNo work life balance, they work you to death. They expect people to work late and rarely close even with a foot or more snow storm. Past 15 years only closed twice. Very hard to get promoted and they have been cutting on all perks they use to offer such as Christmas lunches, gift cards, travel, offsite meetings, water, snacks and even coffee variety has been drastically reduced. Raises are poor does not even keep up with inflation. Do not recommend to work at Boston Scientific if you want to enjoy having a life with your family. Too much politics all they care is about the numbers and no consideration or appreciation to employees anymore.

Very good company to work for.

R&D Technician (Current Employee)
    Marlborough, MA

ProsGreat environment. Gym and flexible hours

ConsThe same as other big companies. Layoffs to satisfy the shareholders.

Going Okay, but Outsourced

Product Analyst (Current Employee)
    Marlborough, MA

ProsGood cafeteria, great grounds (walking/biking trails, basketball court), good commute (from central Mass.), generally friendly employees, good IT department, great company reputation, good employee appreciation/ social events (charity 5ks, summer ice cream truck)

ConsI was hired under the impression the position was temp-to-perm, however the department was being outsourced, so the contract ended up being about 6 months. I never felt there was enough work for me in this role and I never had a full day of active work. I always felt like a temp, not a BSC employee. Working at a company this large can be impersonal.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they're doing well. It's a time of great transition right now (Natick world headquarters is moving to Marlborough in near future - a lot of construction going on). I understand why this department was outsourced (the work is entirely on the computer and sometimes the phone). If temps were allowed to apply for jobs through the BSC intranet, it would change my opinion greatly on "career opportunities".

Large company with a heart

Quality Engineer I (Former Employee)
    Marlborough, MA

Pros-Employees are valued for their work
    -Benefits and compensation
    -Nice people

Cons-Moves slow
    -Management has no real power

Worked for Boston Scientific? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Scientific reviews and ratings in Marlborough, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boston Scientific CEO Michael F. Mahoney. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Boston Scientific employees.