Boston Scientific
www.bostonscientific.com Natick, MA 5000+ Employees

Boston Scientific Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Boston Scientific – Marlborough – “BSC”

Boston Scientific President and CEO Michael F. Mahoney

Michael F. Mahoney

118 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Smart Company Tough Times

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Saint Paul, MN

ProsVery smart people on the marketing team, focused on success and personal growth and development

ConsDifficult merger between Guidant and BSC left Guidant technologies at a disadvantage. BSC management does not know how to manage the Rhythm Business, but is determined to be in "the driver seat." Also, BSC lacks history of true high tech innovation, in which Guidant has been a leader.

Advice to Senior Managementempower your people

Repetitive work, with little room for growth or raises.

Medical Assembler (Former Employee)
    Arden Hills, MN

ProsGood machine work so most departments are not manual. Pay was good especially when you got overtime. Work was usually pretty consistent.

ConsCould not get a lot of days off. No room for growth. Managers expect a lot from you and when you meet high expectations there is very little recognition. You are a treated as a number and not a person at times. Some managers are very distant from their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet employees have an opportunity to move up in the company. Listen to the product builders suggestions they work with the product everyday they know it just better than most managers. Get issues or bugs fixed in the machine immediately. Communicate better what issues you have with employees one on one. Give good workers who have been there for a few years better than a 30 cent raise.

No longer a great company

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Arden Hills, MN

ProsThe technical employees are first rate, I can't say enough good things about them. The products are great. Work-life balance is very good and flexible. Benefits are still pretty good although they have been eroding over the years. Some good on-site services available.

ConsGuidant used to be a great company that cared about its employees. Unfortunately that is no longer the case with Boston Scientific. They have created a culture of fear and cynicism with yearly layoffs. Bad decisions by senior leadership have left this company in a hole. As a result, senior leadership has lost all credibility. Pay progression for employees is non-existent. Raise pools are 1-2% each year and that's all you can expect, even with good performance. Many other forms of compensation have virtually disappeared as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees, don't get in their way, and take care of them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unexciting, little diversity, slow process. Not valued as an intern.

R&D Intern (Former Employee)
    Maple Grove, MN

ProsWork on some grat produccts. Great training, including hospital visits to see products' work first-hand.

ConsDid not feel very welcome by many; somewhat ignored. Technicians were very friendly and helpful, but as the only woman in the department, under 21 at the time, and not white, I felt excluded. My manager was also gone at the start and at the end of my internship, leaving me hanging with very little to do and minimal direction. Also, there was SO much time spent on training, which was wasted given that I was only there for a 2.5 month internship.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a plan for an intern, if you are going to hire one!

Good medical devices company

Quality Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Maple Grove, MN

ProsLots of indepedance to work on your own projects

ConsYou are not given much direction by upper management. Too much focus on cost cutting and not enough of developing new technologies or markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to align the company objectives to employee responsibilities.

Turnaround story

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Saint Paul, MN

ProsBoston Scientific seems to be headed in the right direction under the direction of Mike Mahoney. Once Mike joined there was a definite shift in strategy from cutting out SG&A and more of a focus on growing revenues. Overall fair work/life balance with spikes in hours around month end and annual budgeting.

ConsLimited career opportunities in my location. There have been several layoffs since I started working here, but those have seemed to slow down.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing the top line!

Lots of little perks as pros - but a few big let-downs as cons

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Arden Hills, MN

ProsAmple parking, car-pools with company vans, great cafeteria, bi-monthly employee appreciation lunches, on-site dry cleaning, great new-hire training, and the calm measured pace to work and processes, free beverages, and a better than average compensation as a local consultant.

ConsNone of my team leads NOR hiring manager is still around as references after three years, and my hiring manager mislead me about the contract project duration during the hiring process. I was told I had a six-twelve month PO(purchase order), but I could tell from the project scheduling once I started that I would only get three-four months on the PO.

Advice to Senior ManagementWill the company ever become profitable after the ill conceived acquisition of Guidant ???

Pretty good place, good people

Marketing Communications (Former Employee)
    Maple Grove, MN

ProsWork-life balance was pretty good - if you let it be.

ConsA little clicky in the marketing departments

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate! Overall however, you all do a good job.

Sr. Statistician at Boston Scientific for 7 years

Statistician (Current Employee)
    Maple Grove, MN

ProsGood career development opportunity. Health benefit is very good.

ConsA little bit bureaucracy. The location is not very competitive as being in Minnesota.

Guidant was better

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

ProsOnsite daycare
    Onsite fitness
    Onsite Minute Clinic
    Good technical peers

ConsPromotions and merit based on favortism and inner circles
    Low growth rates - little to no organic growth
    Many RIF's (one a year for last 7 years)
    Average compensation for industry
    Lack of diversity (race and gender)

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people

Worked for Boston Scientific? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Scientific reviews and ratings in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boston Scientific CEO Michael F. Mahoney. All 118 reviews posted anonymously by Boston Scientific employees.