Boston Scientific

Updated September 14, 2014
3.4

Boston Scientific President and CEO Michael F. Mahoney
Michael F. Mahoney

Pros
  • Overall fair work/life balance with spikes in hours around month end and annual budgeting (in 31 reviews)

• Good benefits, average salary, well equipped with good tools (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the experience and opportunities are great, work-life balance is terrible (in 12 reviews)

• Poor management skills on the part of mid-level to upper management (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Friendly co-workers, high level of cooperation, reasonable management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I have been working at Boston Scientific full-time for more than a year

Pros

After working at several companies around the United States over a long career, coming to Boston Scientific was like a breath of fresh air. There is good cooperation between employees and a general positive attitude all around. My managers have been reasonable and helpful. I've always been treated with respect by the company.

Cons

Having had a lot of experience at other companies, I think it is difficult to find major issues at Boston Scientific.

I think you could get some benefit if you brought in one or two people in certain departments who are from outside the medical industry. The tough part, though, will be getting long-term employees to accept any new ideas they might introduce.

Good Company and good benefits

Current Employee - Manager II, Program Management  in  Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Manager II, Program Management in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Boston Scientific full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits. Good quality culture. Patients are put first when developing and manufacturing products. Company provides flexible working hours.

Cons

IT systems and infrastructure is lagging behind a million years. Innovation is also lagging behind. This casts some doubt about the future.

Don’t make short term decisions when it comes to investing for future.

Always evolving to be better- I admire that about Boston Scientific.

I have been working at Boston Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My experience with BSC is certainly positive. As a whole organization, BSC tries to change with the times to ensure their employees', customers' and stakeholders' satisfaction. One of the best things about working for BSC, is the fact that it is a big company with many resources; this helps to make big projects a little less frustrating and sometime, more efficient.

Cons

Like many companies, BSC continues to cut costs, thus people are laid off every year. But, for someone who understands business (even-though, I'm a working mom), this doesn't bother me as much. I always try to plan for the worse. My advice for those who are scared by this risk, the government sector maybe more of a safer bet.

Most of the people with whom I've worked, are great! However, the leadership needs a little work. The only thing that I ask for in management is for them to have the ability to be supportive, to be encouraging and to be friendly, all at the same time. I'd like to be excited about my leadership, and not run the other way when I see them. I will note that leadership within the PI division seems pretty solid when compared to IC.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked as an intern over the summer

Former Employee - Quality Intern
    Former Employee - Quality Intern

I worked at Boston Scientific as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The teamwork aspect was phenomenal; Everyone seemed willing to help out each other on various different projects even if it didn't benefit them significantly. Also a lack of hierarchical structure made it easy to communicate to others above or below you.

Cons

The organization was lacking a bit at times. I was left out of the loop on a few occasions when the information was relevant to me.

Good stability, no career growth

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Boston Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are good to work with, except for one key marketing leader.

Cons

No career growth. Culture is disjointed depending on which dept you work for.

It peaked about ten years ago.

I have been working at Boston Scientific full-time

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. At least they were.

Cons

Little room for advancement. No career development. Very very political. And raises have been stingy for many years.

If you can't promote, say why you can't promote and say what needs to be done to get promoted. Don't give us that 'you need more global leadership' crap to someone who only works locally. What does that even mean?

Good place to work. Job satisfaction comes from knowing that the work we do helps save patients everyday.

I have been working at Boston Scientific

Pros

Boston scientific has decent compensation packages. The work envirnoment is excellent. There are lots of activities, both at team and company level, for team building.

Cons

Every year since the last 5 years there have been layoffs in the company. This is not only keeps employee morale low, but also decreases growth opportunities

Invest in growing markets and in people

good company, bad location

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer  in  Spencer, IN
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Spencer, IN

I have been working at Boston Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great benefits, good upward mobility

Cons

not a great work life balance

Stock increasing, morale decreasing

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Boston Scientific full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Positive trend financially with stable management finally. Excellent benefits and salaries. Good career paths in many departments. Growing diversity and inclusion. Excellent head of human resources.

Cons

Not good work life balance in information systems department. Constantly trying to do more with less. Important to understand the culture of the department.

Great Company

I worked at Boston Scientific

Pros

Great company to work for! They treat their employees better than anywhere else I've worked. Doesn't feel like a job, feels more like family.

Cons

It seemed like there was quite a bit of miscommunication.

Worked for Boston Scientific? Contribute to the Community!