Boston Scientific

Updated September 30, 2014
3.4

Boston Scientific President and CEO Michael F. Mahoney
Michael F. Mahoney

Pros
  • Overall fair work/life balance with spikes in hours around month end and annual budgeting (in 31 reviews)

• Good benefits, average salary, well equipped with good tools (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the experience and opportunities are great, work-life balance is terrible (in 14 reviews)

• Poor management skills on the part of mid-level to upper management (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Web Design Intern

I worked at Boston Scientific

Pros

great small team effort within a large company

Cons

hard to design innovative work within the biomedical industry

Corporate environment with nice people.

Current Employee - Product Builder  in  Arden Hills, MN
    Current Employee - Product Builder in Arden Hills, MN

I have been working at Boston Scientific as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Working on the assembly line for medical devices, the job pays well for only requiring a high school diploma. Paid breaks and training paid at regular hourly rates. One of the nicest things about a job like this: you don't bring work and stress home with you. The people that work here are generally kind and willing to help out.

Cons

You need to start out working as a contract worker through a temp agency. The attendance policy is strict. Very corporate environment with middle managers and corporate policies galore.

Work hard get reward type of work.

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Arden Hills, MN
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Arden Hills, MN

I worked at Boston Scientific as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Rewarding work; the devices Boston Scientific makes benefit the lives of many. If you work hard and perform well, you will be rewarded. It also has a very young work force compared to other biomedical companies, which makes for a great workplace culture.

Cons

If you can deal with the medical regulation you'll be okay. There are no obvious cons to me.

Keep doing what you're doing - that is, caring about those who work for you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A solid company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at Boston Scientific full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BSC is a solid company, with potential for career development and opportunities. Great people make it a fun place to work.

Cons

Like any big company, too much bureaucracy. Things take way too long to get done as there are too many people who feel the need to be involved in the decision making. Too much work for too little people creates a stressful work environment. Morale can be low at times.

Work on bringing morale up. If you insist on getting more work done with fewer people, then you need to compensate accordingly.

Good employer with helpful colleagues

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Boston Scientific as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

- Support for the entry level engineers.
    - Good and friendly environment to work

Cons

- Employer will pay less salary

Don't hire people as a contractor and then treat them as they don't belong to this company. You are the one's who hired us as an contractor (we applied for a full time position and you decided to hire us as a contractor)

Friendly co-workers, high level of cooperation, reasonable management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I have been working at Boston Scientific full-time for more than a year

Pros

After working at several companies around the United States over a long career, coming to Boston Scientific was like a breath of fresh air. There is good cooperation between employees and a general positive attitude all around. My managers have been reasonable and helpful. I've always been treated with respect by the company.

Cons

Having had a lot of experience at other companies, I think it is difficult to find major issues at Boston Scientific.

I think you could get some benefit if you brought in one or two people in certain departments who are from outside the medical industry. The tough part, though, will be getting long-term employees to accept any new ideas they might introduce.

Good Company and good benefits

Current Employee - Manager II, Program Management  in  Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Manager II, Program Management in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Boston Scientific full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits. Good quality culture. Patients are put first when developing and manufacturing products. Company provides flexible working hours.

Cons

IT systems and infrastructure is lagging behind a million years. Innovation is also lagging behind. This casts some doubt about the future.

Don’t make short term decisions when it comes to investing for future.

Worked as an intern over the summer

Former Employee - Quality Intern
    Former Employee - Quality Intern

I worked at Boston Scientific as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The teamwork aspect was phenomenal; Everyone seemed willing to help out each other on various different projects even if it didn't benefit them significantly. Also a lack of hierarchical structure made it easy to communicate to others above or below you.

Cons

The organization was lacking a bit at times. I was left out of the loop on a few occasions when the information was relevant to me.

Always evolving to be better- I admire that about Boston Scientific.

I have been working at Boston Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My experience with BSC is certainly positive. As a whole organization, BSC tries to change with the times to ensure their employees', customers' and stakeholders' satisfaction. One of the best things about working for BSC, is the fact that it is a big company with many resources; this helps to make big projects a little less frustrating and sometime, more efficient.

Cons

Like many companies, BSC continues to cut costs, thus people are laid off every year. But, for someone who understands business (even-though, I'm a working mom), this doesn't bother me as much. I always try to plan for the worse. My advice for those who are scared by this risk, the government sector maybe more of a safer bet.

Most of the people with whom I've worked, are great! However, the leadership needs a little work. The only thing that I ask for in management is for them to have the ability to be supportive, to be encouraging and to be friendly, all at the same time. I'd like to be excited about my leadership, and not run the other way when I see them. I will note that leadership within the PI division seems pretty solid when compared to IC.

Good place

Former Employee - Validation Engineer  in  Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Validation Engineer in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Boston Scientific full-time

Pros

Lots of interesting work and invovation to be of interest

Cons

Stabile work, Company is going through alot of change

your doing the right thing

Boston Scientific Photos

BSC

+ Add Photo

Worked for Boston Scientific? Contribute to the Community!