Boston Scientific Reviews

Reset
3.6
Boston Scientific President and CEO Michael F. Mahoney
Michael F. Mahoney

Pros
  • Good work life balance advocated by senior management (in 31 reviews)

• Good benefits, nice working place (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • It is challenging to manage work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Poor management skills on the part of mid-level to upper management (in 22 reviews)

1. Bad Company to work for

I worked at Boston Scientific

Pros

Benefits and some of the co-workers were great and talented

Cons

An awful place to work. Money was meek and the workload of general individuals depends on whether you are connected to lead ops and managers. Social exclusion and a disregard for regulatory obligation via the policy of cutting corners throughout their front end assembly operations in the name of efficiency and a further blacklisting of employees who attempted to question this policy was prevalent throughout Boston during my time there.

This company is on a downward spiral.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Manager in Boston, KY
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Manager in Boston, KY

I worked at Boston Scientific

Pros

The pay is not bad as long as you don't have a need to be valued as a human being.

Cons

The company has made it clear that employees are dispensable. Ask about turnover and length of service. The founders have gone against everything they held dear in the beginning. They became billionaires and turned the company over to the incompetent Jim Tobin..

Advice to Management

People got you there. Treat everyone kindly. Remember Pete's no red tape philosophy? What happened?

3. Stay away from the company!

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Boston Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any!!!!!! Really really can't think of any, it brought nightmare for just thinking about it.

Cons

Poor management, lack of leader skills, no trust with each other, and if you are not part of them, you will be single out!

Advice to Management

They will not listen!!!! No eating time.

White collar sweat shop

I have been working at Boston Scientific

Pros

The work you do is meaningful, because at the end of the day, you are helping the company save patient's lives.

Cons

What it says on the tin. You work and work and work. The only people that are required to work no more than 40 hours are temps and interns. From the day you sign on full time, 60-75 hour weeks become the norm. Whether it is in the office till 10 or longer, or working at home into the early morning.

Advice to Management

Your current strategy is obviously doing great for the bottom line, with less and less people doing more and more.

GI Endoscopy division has great products but the quality of management is terrible

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Boston Scientific

Pros

Products are well received by most physicians.

Cons

Most Region Managers are puppets to egocentric senior managers. Prior senior management used to be pro sales but now are very self absorbed and short sighted. There have been several acquisitions made in companies that are not producing and the fault is with the sales reps not the fact the products not being vetted properly. Pay has been decreased for sales reps because senior management gets paid on profit and loss and it's a quick way to give themselves a raise.

Advice to Management

Region Managers lead by example not out of fear of losing your job. Senior Managers: realize you have a talented sales force with lots of knowledge who has built a lot of good will for the company and treat them better

7. Not Recommended

I worked at Boston Scientific

Pros

Good products, focused on innovation and giving patients the best there is to offer. Competitive in price with some of the other larger players in this space.

Cons

Terrible leadership, high turnover. Management has no consistency in decision making, and is allowed to decide territory changes and compensation with no accountability to their employees or senior leadership. They are free to decide who stays and goes.

Advice to Management

Fire your managers before they run the company into the ground.

8. In 12 years at working at Boston I've seen a great company to work for turn into a terrible one to work for.

Current Employee - PB in Galway (Ireland)
    Current Employee - PB in Galway (Ireland)

I have been working at Boston Scientific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are ok and location

Cons

Terrible work-life . No family time because of shifts if your on evenings. Biggest problem is the constant threat to my job with the new absenteeism program that means if your off sick for a week you get corrective action. If you miss one day for the next year you get verbal warning and your sick pay for a year. And on the other side were forced to use our holidays when the company has down days due to business needs.i myself had to take holidays for a week because I was sick. Facts are its clear Boston wants us to use up our holidays so we have to call in sick and they in turn can put us through the corrective process and in the end cut down on the perminent staff. After 12 years I'm disgusted how were all treated in the last few years.

Advice to Management

a happy work work force is best way to get Boston back on top again and sooner you realise that the better for everyone.

work somewhere else

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Boston Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the money and benefits were good

Cons

the numerous layoffs, back stabbing, reviews/one on ones, doing more with less

Advice to Management

let the staff work, no everyone needs micro management, working from home can be more productive

Another company that sold out to another country and contributed to US unemployment

Former Employee - Senior Production Supervisor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Production Supervisor in Miami, FL

I worked at Boston Scientific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent pay, excellent benefits - Before the company moved to Costa Rico the new management was weeding out the dead weight employees. It was exciting to work with the folks from Ireland. They provided fair evaluation, compensation and promotion - based on performance not culture.

Cons

Boston Scientific sold out to the lowest bidder leaving 1800+ hard working South Floridians unemployed. Many of these folks had worked for Boston Scientific 20+ years. There is a only one way loyalty with this company.I hope to see a day in my life time that our elected government officials will charge rather than reward big business to operate out of the country. Every time I hear about unemployment in south Florida I think about Boston Scientific. The departure of Boston Scientific from south Florida was very disappointing.

Advice to Management

Move the facility back to south Florida. Employ Americans. How many billions do you really need??

Turnover, Turnover, Turnover

I have been working at Boston Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have education reimbursement that you can take advantage to make your time there worth while. Only stay while you are learning.

Cons

The company only looks out for bottom line and is always cutting corners to save a buck! There is much turnover because there is hardly any merit increases. Any company they purchase they will shut down within the year and do not retain any of the talent. No opportunity to advance or to grow your knowledge. No reward recognition unless you are at the very top level.

RSS Feed </> Embed