Boston Technologies
www.bostontechnologies.com Boston, MA 50 to 149 Employees

Boston Technologies Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014
Boston Technologies – “Office”

George A. Popescu

Interesting problems, good engineering work-life balance

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsScala, interesting to hear CEO's ongoing vision for product features and new applications, sophisticated engineers (partly drawn by Scala) who are active in tech community, a supportive tech culture emphasizing knowledge sharing, engineering has a focus on work-life balance, the new trading system is a pretty ideal project for those interested in low latency and high throughput

ConsSome financial turbulence, combined with periodic turnover, caused some talent flight

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid temptation to supplement with offshore development, may eventually cause sophisticated engineers to leave. Push the envelope even further, Scala has landed you some great talent, what about Haskell and other small, sharp communities? Ask developers what type of projects and technologies would make them start bragging to their peers and eager to bring them on.

Flag Review
    Boston Technologies Human Resources responded to this review Apr 14, 2014 EditDelete
    Good advice! We will certainly evaluate your recommendations and appreciate the good feedback. By our pupils we'll be taught!

Glad it ended when it did

ProsFree snacks & fruit delivered on Mondays

ConsNot much training so never got a true feel of what was going on. Not much communication between the shift managers and subordinates. Very disorganized atmosphere--probably due to it being a startup. But definitely not a situation i would recommend to anyone looking for stability.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers who can communicate. Provide better training

The reviews here don't lie, management disconnected with the mass of employees

Boston, MA

ProsFree lunch every other week
    Some good people at the company
    Friendly HR director
    Good for entry-level people to get some exp.

ConsTraining -> Have to be a self-starter to survive
    Compensation -> on the low-end for most
    Promoting sales over actual support
    Disconnect between upper management and employees -> This has hampered the ability of the company to fix its flaws
    The current problems surrounding the new merger deal -> created a lot of uncertainity and the high turnover we've had before
    High turnover and low morale, but the mirage as described below helps to cover up severe problems within the organization that I think are unfixable

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not when you guys will sell, but when, so I will keep this short: Client experience is the most important, without the clients, you guys are nothing....

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A perfect mirage

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe ideas about how to generate revenue for the company were unique. The path to achieve the goals were questionable. Many great individuals still work there. work / life balance was great.

ConsIncompetent people get promoted to senior management who are not qualified. Leadership in many ways is disconnected from the rest of the organization. Employee turnover is very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep back for a moment - listen to and try to retain your last few employees. Think about "why" people are jumping ship.

Just stopping by again -> Rush and hectic, lack of direction, newer employees beware!

Former Employee Looking Back (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsFree lunch once every two weeks and snacks
    convenient location next to south station
    Young and smart crowd
    You can possibly learn a lot very quickly
    Some friendly people in the company

ConsOffice politics -> There is a lot of it going on for such a small company, there are specific factions within the company that are at odds with others. A lot of complaining going around, which doesn't help because gossiping is rife
    Despite the active office politics, there is a huge disconnect between the management and the employees in general, except for those that are their henchmen in the company
    Very rush and hectic environment -> Could slow things down to improve the products that the companies has to offer
    Generally extremely disorganized -> Lack of an organized procedure, with things scattered everywhere, major errors everywhere in the system.
    Quantity over quality -> Focus on sales, not on product development or support. Remember that selling a lot, but not being able to keep customers is generally not a great way to run a company.
    High stress, low pay compared to the industry average, some employees who are very critical to how the company is run are dicked around, with a general lack of work/life balance for certain departments.
    High turnover with low employee retention rate, maybe it has to do with the things that I've explained here.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to upper management:
    1. Improving your products does not mean favoring selling more over the actual quality of the packages, spend time improving the quality of the packages that the company sells. Don't try to do too much if you can improve a few things here and there that would make a huge difference. The global forex industry is a great industry to be involved in, a these few key improvements would make a huge difference
    2. Maybe improving compensation packages for critical employees that make a huge difference in the company would help, which will help to retain critical employees who might seek employment in another company that pays more with less office politics going around.
    3. Management -> Connect better with the people that you manage and make sure that politics is minimized

Flag Review
    Boston Technologies Human Resources responded to this review May 10, 2014 EditDelete
    As a former employee - posting negative comments once again - we can only conclude that your time out of the company operation has moved you even farther away from truly understanding the company ... More

Easy to grow in, but hectic and rush

Quality Assurance (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

Pros- Easy Growth Opportunities
    - Friendly people
    - Free lunch every other Wednesday

Cons- Very Hectic
    - No plan as a company, everything is rushed and scattershot
    - QA is very rushed, bugs often released to production
    - Employees tend to get dicked around (temporary pay cuts, layoffs followed by immediate hiring sprees because the accountant messed up and we laid off too many people, etc.)
    - If you work "Mission Control" (tech support), your hours will change regularly and you'll never have social life

Advice to Senior Management- Slow down! Take the time to make sure your ideas are good
    - Quality of current product first, then move on to the next idea
    - Less ADHD generally
    - Stop treating the support employees as utterly unimportant while bending over backwards for sales.

Flag Review
    Boston Technologies Human Resources responded to this review Feb 1, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for the review. I believe you could have listed more "Pros" that just these three, but we appreciate the information and the opinion. Because of the different impacts by Sales and Support ... More

Amazing co-workers, lazy management. Bad product. Intense use of FREE Intern Labor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of smart and talented people
    Growth potential to prepare you for your next company

Consdisconnect between management (CEO in particular) and employees
    bad product to support (moving too quickly)

Advice to Senior Management- pay your interns or offer them normal full time salary after intership (not $10 per hour for another 3 months)
    - fire half of the executives (accounting and complience do nothing)
    - TALK to your employees
    I will 100% agree that:

Flag Review
    Thank you for your review, but it sounds like you do not truly understand the internship process. The internship position is a symbiotic relationship where the intern is learning many new skills, is ... More

Great company. Great people. But Underpaid and overworked.

Analyst Manager (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsFast Growing Startup. Great culture. Huge growth opportunity. Those who prove aptitude and work-ethic quickly rise in the ranks and inherit tremendous responsibilities.

ConsCan be Very stressful. Compensation (for most) is on the low end, and stress (for some) on the high end.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor any critical employee, PROACTIVELY reward them with more pay and bonus, or any other incentives.

A 20K raise today may deter a key employee from ever considering alternate job opp's, while it may cost 50K to keep that employee once they've received a good offer from another company.

**Also. The employees who are paid the most, tend to do the least actual work. In fact its not obvious what, if any, value some employees contribute at all. There needs to be a better balance.

Flag Review
    Boston Technologies Human Resources responded to this review Nov 5, 2013 EditDelete
    Thank you for these valuable insights. We appreciate and take into consideration all employee feedback. We are proud of the areas you rated high and will work on the other areas to gain your 5 stars ... More

Nice financial startup with very warm atmosphere and outstanding technologies

Boston, MA

ProsGreat startup atmosphere, cutting-edge technologies, fast growth, exciting to work, very professional HR

ConsOffice building could be better. Dirty carpets are OK for a startup, but look strange.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust redo the carpets, and everything will be fine. :)

Flag Review
    Thanks for the compliments and the carpets have been cleaned. If we did not have to move 100 computers and 200 monitors, we might think about new carpeting.....! Maybe blue?

Many challenges, the proof is in the results

Mid Level Manager (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsFast moving, get stuff done attitude, a lot of learning, profitable

ConsComplicated business, no funding, low margins

Advice to Senior ManagementHire fewer people, fire the low performers, fire people with bad attitude.

Flag Review
    Thanks for the faith in us. We are optimistic too. The best is yet to come!

Worked for Boston Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boston Technologies CEO George A. Popescu. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Boston Technologies employees.