Boston University Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated September 30, 2014
3.8

Boston University President and Trustee Robert A. Brown
Robert A. Brown

Pros
  • The Tuition Remission benefit is the best thing about working at BU (in 25 reviews)

• Great work life balance (strict 9-5) (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Cost of living in Boston is expensive (in 4 reviews)

• No room for growth, poor management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

179 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not a bad place to get a Masters

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

AS a theatre student there are a large number of opportunities in the area to practice your craft and to make a decent wage doing so. Any one who is not afraid of handwork and dedication will do well here. Classes only meet once a week allowing a good bit of time for projects and homework to be completed and the professors are more than willing to meet you in their office to help you out when you are struggling.

Cons

The hours are long, the work is hard, and often the Huntington is just plain in the way.

Sometimes taking the time to rest isn't such a bad idea.

Worked as a student tech for the physics department and did IT.

Former Employee - Student Technician  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Student Technician in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Where I worked was a fantastic enviroment for learning electronics design, I can honestly say I learned more here than in my classes. In general, my impression that the part time jobs offered to students tend to be pretty good as far as part time employment for students goes.

Cons

You won't get paid much as a student, but what were you expecting. The size of BU can also be dificult if you need something from another department as it's all rather bureacratic.

Stable place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent health insurance benefits
    Fantastic tuition remission benefit for employee (For each semester: 100% covered for first class, 90% for second)
    Awesome vacation (4 wks)
    Great work life balance (strict 9-5)
    Stable, layoffs are rare

Cons

No growth or advancement opportunity since everyone's a long timer, very rare someone in managerial or directorial role to move
    Below market salary

Provide more opportunities for lateral or upward movement
    Consider increasing salary for staff members with in-demand skills

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boston University School of Public Health researcher (non-faculty)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone I've worked with in the school of public health is really friendly, open, and collaborative when it comes to work. I've always felt welcome in my department and have felt very supported and encouraged by my colleagues. My boss is fantastic and allows me to flex my hours and work from home frequently, and I get to work with other SPH professors who are equally supportive and really value mentoring.

Cons

As with any University, there is a fair amount of bureaucracy and administrative red-tape when it comes to some research activities. This is pretty typical but is definitely a con if you choose to work in an academic environment. I would also say that the SPH campus does not feel very safe, especially for women, and it can be stressful walking to/from campus. Finally, while the benefits are good you should know that if you are hired at the beginning of the month, you have to go the rest of that month without health insurance as it kicks in the month following your hire date. That was a little tricky but otherwise have had no problems.

If possible, it would be great to make employees' health insurance kick in on their date of hire, and not the first day of the month following their hire date.

Graduate student teaching fellow

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Fellow  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Fellow in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great facilities and professors. nice perks and retirement plan options, beautiful campus and great people

Cons

Poor pay and promotions. I think the graduate stipends have been the exact same for decades with little to no increase for inflation

Increase compensation to properly adjust for inflation! I think the graduate stipends have been the exact same for decades with little to no increase for inflation

Server at School of Management Catering

Current Employee - Server  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Server in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Managers have always been easy to get along with, flexible.
    Free food, the work is pretty easy, pays better than minimum wage.
    Perfect for students, easy part-time weekend job for working post-grads.

Cons

High manager, employee turnover.
    Can be a hectic environment at times.
    Promotions are rare, no opportunity for growth.

Incentivize long-time employees to stay by offering higher wages than those offered to new servers.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Development  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Development in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salaries a bit lower, but perks a bit higher than average.

Cons

Have to have patience to get through the paperwork when applying.

Make sure to check in with your staff regularly. Don't make assumptions.

Overqualified

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Paid for doing 40 hours of work, only doing 1 hour of work each day.

Cons

No work to do. Extremely bored.

Give me something to do.

Mediocre Employer

Current Employee - Data Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Data Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paid intersessions off, tuition remission (for full-time employees), a lot of very interesting research.

Cons

Working for a grant-funded entity is stressful and job security is iffy. BU has a pretty slow hiring process. Professors/PIs divide their time between too many things and lack time to dedicate to staff needs. Lack of career advancement and skills development opportunities.

Large bureaucratic machine, very hierarchical

Current Employee - IT Staff  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of positions to choose from, not a very rigorous hiring process, good benefits. Tuition remission is good if you hold a staff position until you get your degree then leave, immediately.

Cons

No institutional plan for professional growth, promoting from within not a part of culture, salaries low compared to local schools and much lower compared to industry, minimal cost of living increases instead of performance-based raises, excessively hierarchical in structure and thinking, staff discouraged from thinking creatively or showing initiative because of a lot of very insecure, entrenched director-level and above staff who primarily serve the appearance of their value to the executive leadership. As at most universities, staff are at the bottom of the totem pole at BU and are openly considered expendable and easily replaceable.

If you treat staff like transient student workers, they will behave as such. When you do not recognize and reward effort and initiative, no matter how threatening it may appear to stagnant management thinking, good talent will exercise their options and leave. You're left with mediocre workers not invested in constant improvement but just maintaining the status quo and lying low. And when you promote people to senior leadership positions based on their connections and not their experience, training, or demonstrated aptitude for leadership, you encourage a situation where the executive sees his unit only in terms of his own advancement and privileges. Leaders aren't created when anointed. As they say in the military, a leader is someone you would follow even if you didn't have to. BU could learn much from the military's development of leaders and much from the tech industry in encouraging ground-level creativity by reducing the oppressive levels of hierarchy in decision making.

Boston University Photos

logo
Boston University
Boston from Charles River
lunch/rest area

+ Add Photo

Worked for Boston University? Contribute to the Community!